• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

mabuza said:
wow ive never seen the ps3 this close to the wii before
The ps3 was pretty close when gundam musou was released.

But yeah, the ps3 is dead in Japan. It can't even double it's figure with a fairly significant price cut.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
titiklabingapat said:
The ps3 was pretty close when gundam musou was released.

But yeah, the ps3 is dead in Japan. It can't even double it's figure with a fairly significant price cut.

Everything across the board is pretty dead right now. Hell, the Wii isn't even pushing 25k/week.

But it's getting more competitive at least.

well at least this week was not boring but I was thinking that this could have been the last chance this year that the PS3 had to beat the Wii

can it pull it off in next week's Media Create? what was out this week?

gcubed

Eteric Rice said:
So this was the only week the PS3 had to surpass the Wii?

Because I mean, Galaxy is next week, right?

pretty much... MAYBE it has a chance in december... any big Nintendo games coming out along side GT5:p?

jeremy1456

reilo said:
Everything across the board is pretty dead right now. Hell, the Wii isn't even pushing 25k/week.

But it's getting more competitive at least.

This week it's more competitive, but this is the calm before the Wii storm, meanwhile, this IS the PS3's storm.

EDIT: Statement retracted, didn't know about the ceramic white PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
This week it's more competitive, but this is the calm before the Wii storm, meanwhile, this IS the PS3's storm.

Except that PS3's storm is nov.11th...

This is just the leading up to it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
jeremy1456 said:

What? Are you daft?

PS3 40GB Ceramic White [the Japanese love their new colors] is launching Nov 11th at the PS3's lowest price yet. Not to mention DW, and GT5:p still left to be released for the year. Then DMC4 in January, correct?

tanod

when is my burrito
donny2112 said:
DSL 70,608
PSP 58,669
Wii 24,932
PS3 17,130
PS2 10,281
Xbox360 3,011
GBASP 130
GBM 118
GC 48
GBA 22

wat? Famitsu and MC seem to diverge more and more as of late. Too bad the 40GB isn't launching the same day as the price cut. No chance of streams crossing after Galaxy comes out.

kay

titiklabingapat said:
It can't even double it's figure with a fairly significant price cut.
So 9% is a significant cut? It's still twice as expensive as both competitors (60 vs 360 and 20 vs Wii) I can't believe it is even doing 15k with not much released at that price.

I expect the 360 to rise starting the week of november 1st, probably over 10k if the supplies are there.

Eteric Rice

reilo said:
What? Are you daft?

PS3 40GB Ceramic White [the Japanese love their new colors] is launching Nov 11th at the PS3's lowest price yet. Not to mention DW, and GT5:p still left to be released for the year. Then DMC4 in January, correct?

Yes, and during that price drop, Mario Galaxy.

:|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eteric Rice said:
Open up your wallets let the cash flow into Wii!
I'm most likely gonna buy a Wii nxt FEB during income tax season but not for things like this. I want real games like No More Heroes, Galaxy, or an RPG. I just can't jump on the hype train for this kind of product. It's a nice idea but not my reason for wanting a Wii. I just don't want this to be like the GC days where I only buy 1-2 games a year at full price. I loved my GC days but the games I bought were far and few.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-46.jpg

mc-weekly-line-46.jpg

mc-LTD-46.jpg

mc-marketshare-pie-46.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-46.jpg

Code:
			360		Wii		PS3
New Gen Total		426,210		3,680,408	1,209,983
New Gen Avg		5,482		80,009		22,904
Post-Holiday Avg	3,582		64,136		17,062
Market Share		8.0%		69.2%		22.8%
Weekly %		6.7%		55.3%		38.0%

GBA is back? That was weird.

Wii comparisons: At 47 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 176.2 weeks (January 24, 2005), where GBA was at 38.6 weeks (December 13, 2001), where DS was at 51.3 weeks (November 22, 2005), where PS2 was at 56.7 weeks (March 30, 2001), and where PSP was at 84.3 weeks (July 17, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 50 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.6 weeks (April 6, 2000), where PSP was at 19.4 weeks (April 19, 2005), where GCN was at 25.0 weeks (March 3, 2002), and where Wii was at 7.0 weeks (January 14, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 54.6 / 45.4, bringing total shares to 74.9 / 25.1. This pushes things back to where they were last November. As of this week, PSP's LTD is no longer tripled by DS's. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 223.9 weeks (February 5, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 40.7 / 59.3, PS3's biggest weekly share since Gundabump. This brings total shares to 24.7 / 75.3. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.2 weeks (July 27, 2010).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS catches up to PS2 in 17.4 weeks (February 19, 2008) at ~21.0 million apiece.

At week 42, Total hardware sales for the year pass 12 million. Last year it happened on week 50.

At week 42, X360 passed 160K for the year. Last year it took until week 50.

BishopLamont said:
When they announced the end of DC.
Let's see... first, I'll assume that unknown week of DC sales is 20K, putting it between the two weeks bordering it. Second, Wikipedia says it was the very end of January 2001 that the announcements were made, so I'll go through the week starting January 29, 2001.

Dreamcast at 115 weeks: ~1.66 million
PS2 at 49 weeks: 3.33 million

So the announcement came just as PS2 was doubling DC's LTD in Japan.
Eteric Rice said:
So this was the only week the PS3 had to surpass the Wii?

Because I mean, Galaxy is next week, right?
Well, there's still the week of 10/22 - 10/28. On the one hand there will be more days of cut price than this week, but on the other hand the bump usually happens right away so it'd be unusual for another bump to occur. Sp0rsk says nobody knew about it, though, so maybe it won't behave like a normal bump.

AniHawk said:
I wonder if there are people who don't get the "cross the streams" reference and simply are going along with the group.
God I hope they understand that is from one of the greatest comedies of the 80's.

If they don't... I have little hope for humanity.

"If someone asks if you're a God you say yes!"

Words to live by...

The beginning of the end for Moranis though.

Saitou

Banned
Figures Panther would come back only when the streams are about to cross. And note the lack of his usual snarky comments!

Sell out am total <3 <3

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Well price drop happenned on the 17th. Apparently they will also get a free Spiderman blu-ray movie if they buy a PS3. I hear they are not advertising the drop though. What are they waiting for? Nov11?

Lets see what happens this week.

Lightning

Banned
So basically Beautiful Katamari didn't help the 360 sales at all, it's heading right back where it started before the Elite launch?

Nice PS3 sale boost, Sony do need to get off their collective asses though and start advertising in Japan. If people start buying the fucking console we would not have games bombing and negative $800+ million losses...

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
GBA is back? That was weird.

Wii comparisons: At 47 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 176.2 weeks (January 24, 2005), where GBA was at 38.6 weeks (December 13, 2001), where DS was at 51.3 weeks (November 22, 2005), where PS2 was at 56.7 weeks (March 30, 2001), and where PSP was at 84.3 weeks (July 17, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 50 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.6 weeks (April 6, 2000), where PSP was at 19.4 weeks (April 19, 2005), where GCN was at 25.0 weeks (March 3, 2002), and where Wii was at 7.0 weeks (January 14, 2007).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 40.7 / 59.3, PS3's biggest weekly share since Gundabump. This brings total shares to 24.7 / 75.3. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.2 weeks (July 27, 2010).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS catches up to PS2 in 17.4 weeks (February 19, 2008) at ~21.0 million apiece.
Wii is still doing better than PS2, while PS3 is still doing worse than GCN.

Is it possbile that next week's "If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate" will bring the date to 2009 ? Next week's should be very, very interesting.

apujanata said:
Wii is still doing better than PS2, while PS3 is still doing worse than GCN.

Is it possbile that next week's "If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate" will bring the date to 2009 ? Next week's should be very, very interesting.
Well, let's see. If next week's Wii number isn't explosive, and that particular stat were to give a date late in 2009, PS3 would have to be something like 22K or greater.

RBH

Lightning said:
So basically Beautiful Katamari didn't help the 360 sales at all, it's heading right back where it started before the Elite launch?

Nice PS3 sale boost, Sony do need to get off their collective asses though and start advertising in Japan. If people start buying the fucking console we would not have games bombing and negative $800+ million losses...

Were there any people that were actually expecting BK to help 360 sales? :/

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Lightning said:

Actually its funny because the more the console sells the bigger the losses ;(

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, let's see. If next week's Wii number isn't explosive, and that particular stat were to give a date late in 2009, PS3 would have to be something like 22K or greater.

Wow. The streams still not crossing (assume Wii next week = Wii this week), even when the date became 2009.

It is quite interesting if PSP sales can stabilitize in the 50K range, and the PSP S/W figure is still bad. That means a lot (as in >20%) of PSP are used exclusively as non-gaming device (the owner does not buy any game at all).

RBH said:
Were there any people that were actually expecting BK to help 360 sales? :/
Maybe some or all of the XBOX fans ?

Lightning

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Actually its funny because the more the console sells the bigger the losses ;(
That's only if people don't buy software... but there is a lot of money in software. More PS3's sold should equal more software sold.

That's not working in the PSP's case but that should be how it works.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Lightning said:
That's only if people don't buy software... but there is a lot of money in software. More PS3's sold should equal more software sold.

That's not working in the PSP's case but that should be how it works.

Not really :( The attach rate has to be phenominal right now for them to make a profit. Its all part of the investment though for future software sales. Actually one of the reasons the 360 hasnt seen as much loses lately is because they have sold considerably less hardware to ratailers these past two quarters (only 2 mil I believe).

Lightning

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Not really :( The attach rate has to be phenominal right now for them to make a profit. Its all part of the investment though for future software sales. Actually one of the reasons the 360 hasnt seen as much loses lately is because they have sold considerably less hardware to ratailers these past two quarters (only 2 mil I believe).
I am more interested in sales at the present time.... there will be no 3mil+ software sales with the current userbase....

Ultimately they need to sell hardware and software to make profit, so they need to advertise to do just that, like advertising that there was a price drop would have been a good start.

That was my point of the discussion, not where you seem to be taking it.

linsivvi

reilo said:
What? Are you daft?

DW is on Nov 11th too, so it's only going to help.

pickwick

Segata Sanshiro said:
Go! Go! Streams Crossing! Go!

I wonder why guys are so excited about seeing PS3 sold well than Wii ? We've seen PSP sold better than DS sometimes, right ? Nevertheless, when you look at the total sales....

Top Bottom