• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

apujanata

CTLance said:
I'm going to guess it's the same as the 4chan board: You can enter a nick followed by a password, and the board will show your nick and a hash of the password (and nick?). Using the hash and the nick together allows for a unique login without actually implementing a security infrastructure. While this method can be brute-forced, it's reasonably secure.

Fake edit: Wikipedia is your friend.

Thanks for the explanation. Never been to 2ch or 4ch, so didn't know about the tripcode. Nice idea, that tripcode. Bring me back to my DES encryption days.

BishopLamont said:
(The Wii isn't next-gen).

I see what you did there. :)

Wii is current gen, just like PS3 and X360. Next gen is PS4 etc.

909er

toypop said:
Yup, this guy's current tripcode is ◆EcCgOA7Vw6.
What he did post about sales yesterday.
(The thread might be unreadable in next few hours, due to being archived by server)

LBP first day number.
http://namidame.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1225441491/564n

Retailer's comments on those FAX. "GTA4 going wild"
http://namidame.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1225441491/605n

He mentions that LBP's sales goal is 250k this year.
http://namidame.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1225441491/647n

For the retailer comments, they were:

"Wow GTA.
GTA sold out.
GTA selling well.
GTA selling too much.
GTA sold well, LBP so-so.
GTA sold well, didn't have enough 360's.
GT5P3 not selling.
PS3 not selling, why did they release it(don't know if it is referring to LBP or the bundle).
GTA selling, PS3 issued recklessly.
Nothing except GTA selling.
Sold more PS3s than though, but GT5P is not selling.
GTA and LBP sold well, hardware didn't sell.
Didn't sell a single PS3, hoping for a better future.
DS Chokobo not selling, GTA sold well.
SOCOM sold out."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Also, DSi is pirate-proof, joining PSP, PS3 and 360 (iirc the latest SKUs are pirate-proof). Just Wii and PS2 left.

I wouldn't call the DSi or PSP-3000 pirate proof quite yet. I'd wait a few weeks to see what the next move is on all sides. With the PSP-3000, it's just a matter of forcing the system to accept the initial CFW; once they get the CFW on the machine, they've still got total control of the process. The DSi, who knows how much is changed and how long it will take to re-crack things.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
With a 55% bigger installed base than Wii.
It is almost impossible to say in my opinion, since the PSP has 2 models (well, 3 with PSP-3000, but that is fairly new) while the Wii has 1 model. I guess there is a possibility that several of people re-bought a PSP when the PSP-2000 (and maybe the PSP-3000 as well) was launched (the same goes for DS and DS Lite, and for PS2 and PS2 Slim for that matter). You also have several of different color releases with the PSP, maybe this will lead to people buying a new PSP just because they want another color. I think the Wii excist in 1 color (officially atleast).

Even if there is about 11 million PSPs sold, i would speculate if actually around 11 million different people (installbase) own a PSP in Japan. I dont think millions of people re-bought a PSP just because of the PSP-2000, PSP-3000 and/or for a new color, but i think there might be some people atleast, but i have no idea how many people it eventually could be. But as said, its so to say impossible to know for sure, it is just speculations from my side :)

Jokeropia

It doesn't really matter why PSP software sales are low in relation to it's hardware sales (whether it be because of re-buyers, piracy, multimedia functions or something else), I'm just stating that they are.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jokeropia said:
With a 55% bigger installed base than Wii.
One might point out that traditionally consoles held close to ~3:1 advantage in tie-ratio. It wasn't until NDS that that ratio was broken.

Jokeropia

Fafalada said:
One might point out that traditionally consoles held close to ~3:1 advantage in tie-ratio. It wasn't until NDS that that ratio was broken.
Sure, but the PSP has also been out for almost two years longer.

While the console vs. handheld difference surely accounts for part of the difference, PSP does have a low tie-ratio even for a handheld.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It doesn't really matter why PSP software sales are low in relation to it's hardware sales (whether it be because of re-buyers, piracy, multimedia functions or something else), I'm just stating that they are.
The way i understood your previous post was that Wii software was doing it better compared the PSP software because the PSP installbase was 55% bigger than the Wii installbase, which is 100% true, the Wii is selling more software (atleast if you look at the tie ratio) compared to the PSP because the Wii installbase is smaller. I just wanted to say that the PSP installbase might be smaller than 55% compared to the Wii installbase because the PSP have 2 (or 3) different models + numerous of color releases while the Wii has 1 model and 1 color, which might result in that several of people are buying more than 1 PSP over a period of time. But as said, it is so to say impossible to know, so it is just speculation from me :)

Jokeropia said:
Sure, but the PSP has also been out for almost two years longer.

While the console vs. handheld difference surely accounts for part of the difference, PSP does have a low tie-ratio even for a handheld.
Oh, you ment the tie-ratio and total amount of software (LTD) sold? I thought you were reffering to the software numbers that Captain Smoker posted 2 days ago, where it showed that the Wii and the PSP did sell about as many games (about 5.5 million games on each system, and Wii was ahead of something like 200k over the PSP if i recall right) within the last 6 months or so.

The PSP is "known" for not selling software in Japan (and maybe in the rest of the world as well), but during the last 6 months or so, both the Wii and the PSP sold about the same amount of software. I assume that this is why HK-47 mentioned that the Wii sells about the same amount of software that PSP does, but please correct me if i'm wrong. That is why i thought you were reffering to the post that Captain Smoker made 2 days ago with the software numbers since you quoted HK-47 :)

EDIT: I found the post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13429231&postcount=114

Jokeropia

test_account said:
The way i understood your previous post was that Wii software was doing it better compared the PSP software because the PSP installbase was 55% bigger than the Wii installbase, which is 100% true, the Wii is selling more software (atleast if you look at the tie ratio) compared to the PSP because the Wii installbase is smaller. I just wanted to say that the PSP installbase might be smaller than 55% compared to the Wii installbase because the PSP have 2 (or 3) different models + numerous of color releases while the Wii has 1 model and 1 color, which might result in that several of people are buying more than 1 PSP over a period of time. But as said, it is so to say impossible to know, so it is just speculation from me :)
As you say yourself, there is no way to know for sure what the exact active installed base of any system is, so you generally simply use the total hardware sold.
test_account said:
Oh, you ment the tie-ratio and total amount of software (LTD) sold?
Not it my first post, only in response to Fafalada's post about tie-ratios

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
As you say yourself, there is no way to know for sure what the exact active installed base of any system is, so you generally simply use the total hardware sold.
I just wanted to share my thoughs about the PSP installbase because of the 2 (3) different PSP models :) But ye, it might be better to go with the real data we have instead of going with speculations, i agree with that :) By the way, according to the Media Create hardware numbers in the first post in this thread the difference between the PSP userbase and the Wii userbase is about 35.6%, not 55% (maybe you did a typo, since 35 and 55 both end with 5).

Jokeropia said:
Not it my first post, only in response to Fafalada's post about tie-ratios
Ah ok, then i understand :)

Linkup

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Also, DSi is pirate-proof, joining PSP, PS3 and 360 (iirc the latest SKUs are pirate-proof). Just Wii and PS2 left.

Only reason a system would be pirate proof is if no one cared to hack it.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I just wanted to share my thoughs about the PSP installbase because of the 2 (3) different PSP models :) But ye, it might be better to go with the real data we have instead of going with speculations, i agree with that :) By the way, according to the Media Create hardware numbers in the first post in this thread the difference between the PSP userbase and the Wii userbase is about 35.6%, not 55% (maybe you did a typo, since 35 and 55 both end with 5).
10.7 million is 55% more than 6.9 million. 6.9 million is 36% less than 10.7 million.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
10.7 million is 55% more than 6.9 million. 6.9 million is 36% less than 10.7 million.
Oh, like that. You did indeed say 55% bigger, not 55% in difference, so you are right :) I didnt read too carefully, so its my mistake, i am sorry.

I wonder what the PSP attach ratio actually is in Japan. Donny had PSP software (although not everything was counted if i read correctly) at about 4 million, while Dengeki had it at about 5.7 million (since they gave out more info than just the top 30 i guess). That is a difference on about 1.6 million.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13436369&postcount=136

Are there any total software sale LTD that are published by Sony or some other sales tracking company?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
-Double_A said:
What's the reason for the PS3's numbers? Economy? It was on an upswing.

not having any games anyone cares about, priced more than the finest sake in the land. wait until cross edge 2. that should revive sales.

-Double_A

Banned
Still it's easy to criticize the PS3's sales numbers, yet it's selling one about every other minute or two in Japan, even at those low numbers. I can name a lot of things that don't sell that well.

Stumpokapow said:
not having any games anyone cares about, priced more than the finest sake in the land. wait until cross edge 2. that should revive sales.

To be fair, it's not so much the price considering it's always been sold the cheapest in Japan then any other country, and the current MSRP is the same price as the PS2 was when it launched.

JonnyBrad

-Double_A said:
Still it's easy to criticize the PS3's sales numbers, yet it's selling one about every other minute or two in Japan, even at those low numbers. I can name a lot of things that don't sell that well.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dolemite

-Double_A said:
I loled:lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
-Double_A said:

start naming.

-Double_A said:

Awe mom, can we keep him? Please?

gkryhewy

-Double_A said:

This is the best thing I've ever read.

Mindlog

-Double_A said:

That's no fair. There's no way I could have thought of something like that to put on the bingo cards.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
-Double_A said:

Are you jimbo's brother?

RBH

-Double_A said:
lolamadeus.gif

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-Double_A said:

"B-15. B, fifteen."

Rolf NB

-Double_A said:
What's the reason for the PS3's numbers? Economy? It was on an upswing.
New SKU coming with more value (bigger HDD, DS3, game) for the same price. Check back this Thursday for a new round of numbers. PS3 should be back to its regular old tune then, above 10k at a minimum.

Firestorm

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
360 can still be pirated. The Lite-On disc tray just needs to be swapped or something. It costs more to do but can still be modded. Believe me. Every fucking 360 thread on RedFlagDeals is overrun with people asking about modding.

-Double_A said:

:lol

It IS easy to criticize PS3's numbers, indeed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
OldJadedGamer said:
To be fair, it's not so much the price considering it's always been sold the cheapest in Japan then any other country
Not really, it's been flip-flopping with HK, Korea, Singapore for lowest price (just to name a few I know of). Currently I am pretty sure Korea is the lowest (it hit as low as ~300$ just a weeks back thanks to exchange rate fluctuations), especially with Yen getting stronger in last few months.

Speaking of Korea, LBP is apparently top packaged game seller ahead of Fallout3 and Fifa9 at the moment (It came out on 31st, like Fallout).

m3k

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

lol i thought for a moment this was neogaf sarcasm that i didnt get... but no, no such thing as pirate proof

Instead of being grammar nazis couldn't you guys understand that the point of the message is that those systems can't be pirated right now unlike a while ago when they were? There's so far 1 post adding to the discussion rather than usual gaf let's-examine-the-entire-post-for-nitpicking. Thanks Firestorm, didn't know about that method for 360s.

apujanata

Firestorm said:
360 can still be pirated. The Lite-On disc tray just needs to be swapped or something. It costs more to do but can still be modded. Believe me. Every fucking 360 thread on RedFlagDeals is overrun with people asking about modding.

Will the pirated version of X360 (done the way you described) go online (XBOX live etc) ?
AFAIK, the pirated version of consoles (X360, Wii, PS2, PSP) couldn't go online, and only pirated DS can play online (I am not sure about this part, but I know that pirated Animal Crossing game can go online).

The only current gen console not pirated yet is PS3, and I heard that is because Blu Ray disc is very expensive (around $20 - $30 for each blank disc). Once Blu Ray disc goes down in price (like mini-DVD price goes down), PS3 will be pirated (like GCN was pirated at the end of its lifetime, once mini-DVD prices are cheap enough).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Instead of being grammar nazis couldn't you guys understand that the point of the message is that those systems can't be pirated right now unlike a while ago when they were?
IMO, If the "non-pirateable" timeframe is very short, like only 1 - 3 month, it will not be important. If the new H/W version can prevent pirate for, say 1 - 2 years, then it is an important fact, and will help S/W sales significantly (couldn't imagine someone hardcore being able to abstain from playing for 1 - 2 years, while I can imagine someone not buying anything new for 1 - 3 month, since he might have backlog game).

Lightning said:
Unbelievable. Wanting hard work to fail for such puerile reasons is pathetic. I want LBP to succeed so that Sony will be even more creative and try things rather then be sequel happy and stick to racing and FPS games in order to gather sales...

I really wish Sony would find a way to put LBP on the PSP. That would be so awesome.

well, I'm at a crossroads; good games deserve good sales.

but, on the otherhand, everyone freaking out about the low sales would be hilarious.

RBH

AniHawk said:
Man, I haven't been keeping up with Sales Age in a while. PS3 and 360 swapped places?
360 has beaten the PS3 for the past 7 weeks or so, but that will probably change this upcoming week with the new PS3 bundles that are available.

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
The only current gen console not pirated yet is PS3, and I heard that is because Blu Ray disc is very expensive (around $20 - $30 for each blank disc). Once Blu Ray disc goes down in price (like mini-DVD price goes down), PS3 will be pirated (like GCN was pirated at the end of its lifetime, once mini-DVD prices are cheap enough).
I dont think the price of burnable Blu Ray discs is the only thing that holds back piracy on the PS3. I think that the "pirate protection" is actually pretty good on the PS3. I remember that PS2 was pirate-able back in the days when burnable DVDs were pretty expencive. As far as i know, it took some time before the Gamecube was hacked as you said, but i think that was because of the "pirate protection". Gamecube can run normal size DVDs as well, you just to buy a modified case so you can physically fit a DVD in the Gamecube :)

Johann

ShadyMilkman said:
well, I'm at a crossroads; good games deserve good sales.

but, on the otherhand, everyone freaking out about the low sales would be hilarious.

Is a jostled Neogaf and a tub of Popcorn that entertaining?

Anyway, we really need Bingo cards or some battleship action.

apujanata said:
Will the pirated version of X360 (done the way you described) go online (XBOX live etc) ?
AFAIK, the pirated version of consoles (X360, Wii, PS2, PSP) couldn't go online, and only pirated DS can play online (I am not sure about this part, but I know that pirated Animal Crossing game can go online).

IMO, If the "non-pirateable" timeframe is very short, like only 1 - 3 month, it will not be important. If the new H/W version can prevent pirate for, say 1 - 2 years, then it is an important fact, and will help S/W sales significantly (couldn't imagine someone hardcore being able to abstain from playing for 1 - 2 years, while I can imagine someone not buying anything new for 1 - 3 month, since he might have backlog game).

ps3 hasn't been pirated not due to high-prices of blu-ray's (UMD aren't available, but games are easily running through the memory stick, same could go for the ps3 with the HDD). ps3 is pirate proof cause security keys (or whatever they're called) are running in the local storage of one of the SPUs and it's currently impossible to be reached by some hackers (Cell is the top research CPU made by IBM, not the same of the 8 year old CPU architecture which psp was built on). even with the 360 hackers weren't able to access the CPU, in fact the mod was just a DVD drive firmware mod, another difference with the ps3 is that the drive is specifically designed for the console and not a pc dvd-drive swapped in like the 360 one (whose firmwares were easily found in the net or extrapolated by their retail counterparts)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
360 has beaten the PS3 for the past 7 weeks or so, but that will probably change this upcoming week with the new PS3 bundles that are available.

if it doesn't , i think we might have ourselves a jacket burning evening!

Also - re: GT5Ps3... now not sure i'm remembering this right, but i could have sworn the last disk was 3980 yen, but now the new disk is 4980? Retailing at most places cut to 4480?

And the disk is the same as the first, but with the extra FREE downloads?

I feel somewhat for those (12) people with no internet who love GT5, but it did seem weird that Socom was sensibly priced (hitting stores at just over 3000 yen, albeit online only) but the GT5Ps3 price just seemed... wrong.

And i'd have thought the market for the disk would be pretty limited given what it is.

Neomoto

Wow, that's some pathetic PS3 sales (the one's in the OP). What a strange gen this is, xbox360 having the most interesting RPG's in Japan and outselling the ps3 for a whopping 7 weeks in a row. And that's just naming one thing in the past months.

Wii Music.. I think it's the type of game that will shine in times of holidays, fueled by positive word of mouth from non-gamers / family. Don't think it'll come close to, say, Wii Fit but I think it'll do pretty well regardless when it's all said and done.

And yay for Castlevania! Tis a awesome game so far, hope it will continue to sell. Also, that Fashion Girls Mode game doesn't even look that bad! The trailer made it seem pretty interesting. Heh, I didn't even know it was announced.

200,000 DSi units shipped for Japanese launch

Nintendo has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the company shipped almost 200,000 DSi units for the Japanese launch of the console on November 1.

The new handheld went on sale last Saturday, priced JPY 18,900 (USD 179 / EUR 129 / GBP 101) in the region.

It boasts a built-in web browser allowing users to access the DSi Shop, a camera and improved audio functions, a slot for SD memory cards and a slightly larger screen.

Although sales figures for the new hardware are not yet known, Nintendo also confirmed it is shipping a further 100,000 units this week.

Sales of the DS in Japan have declined during October, from over 40,000 units at the beginning of the month, to just under 23,000 copies last week.

A release for the console in the US and Europe is not expected until summer 2009 at the earliest.
source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/200-000-dsi-units-shipped-for-japanese-launch

Aadil

Banned
Can anyone point me to a list of all the hardware numbers to as far back as possible for NPD and Media-Create please.

Top Bottom