• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

Soule

Aadil said:
Can anyone point me to a list of all the hardware numbers to as far back as possible for NPD and Media-Create please.
Have you tried searching the NeoGAF sales archive forum? You actually have to search I think because nothing shows up if you just want to browse normally. There's a couple of years worth of NPD and Media-Create there I think maybe some other miscellaneous stuff as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oblivion said:
So were those LBP numbers accurate?

friday: first day numbers
wednesday daytime: leaked famitsu
wednesday evening / overnight: m-c
later: full famitsu

the lbp numbers are first day. yes, they're accurate.

Soule said:
Have you tried searching the NeoGAF sales archive forum? You actually have to search I think because nothing shows up if you just want to browse normally. There's a couple of years worth of NPD and Media-Create there I think maybe some other miscellaneous stuff as well.
You can fix that by going into your account user settings and checking a box that says "Show all threads".

I hadn't realised that the first day LBP numbers (~23K + 7K bundles) had come in from Sinobi. Because of all the fanboy hype it's getting around here, it seems I overshot the mark by a substantial margin (I predicted 80K LBP, 20K PS3).

Oh well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anything I should know about last week before making projections?

1. DSi's first weekend will be on this week's report. (200k?)
2. PS3 new bundles will be on this week's report. (7k?!)
3. LBP & GTAIV are the big games for the week?

I will be operating under those assumptions unless corrected.

phez

Banned
PantherLotus said:

lowballing at 7k? honestly, if PS3 doesn't do >10k, then shit's definitely hit the fan confirmed

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
phez said:
lowballing at 7k? honestly, if PS3 doesn't do >10k, then shit's definitely hit the fan confirmed

That wasn't my guess projection, that was what was being thrown about regarding the LBP bundles.

DogWelder

PantherLotus said:
That wasn't my guess projection, that was what was being thrown about regarding the LBP bundles.

Are you referring to the 7k from the DualShock bundle? That was just a controller + game bundle.

Vinnk

DSi sold out here before it was released. If you don't have a pre-order, you don't get one. The smaller shops won't even be getting them for a few weeks.

Vinnk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Say what?

Methinks the PS3 will at the very least get a bump from GTAIV... won't it?

Hard to say. It ia a popular title for sure, but I am not sure how many Japanese people were holding off on buying a PS3 until GTA came out. And if they were buying one right now, you would think they would get the bundle.

sphinx

the piano man
Vinnk said:
DSi sold out here before it was released. If you don't have a pre-order, you don't get one. The smaller shops won't even be getting them for a few weeks.

I always thought that 200k as intial shipment for such a significant Update to the best selling gaming device in japan was laughable.

It's like nintendo want to drive the japanese crazy.

sphinx said:
I always thought that 200k as intial shipment for such a significant Update to the best selling gaming device in japan was laughable.

It's like nintendo want to drive the japanese crazy.
Well, it would still make a bigger first week than any hardware rerelease I'm aware of other than PSP-2000. It took DSL until its third week to reach 200K.

cvxfreak

With the holiday season coming up, Nintendo should have no real problems restocking the DSi to Japanese shelves. Nintendo will probably sell a million of them by the end of the year, along with a few 100K Lites.

Minsc

Gold Member
Case said:
what the hell was Nintendo thinking putting out such a small shipment?

It's the Wii all over again. Actually if you look again at Captain Smoker's #s, they sold ~50% more than the previous DSLite in the same time period. Not sure if they shipped over 50% more as well; but I read a few impressions here that would lead you to believe otherwise about the sales, I was expecting a little less.

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:

2. That number is for a bundle consisting of LBP plus an extra controller. We haven't gotten numbers for the system bundle yet if I followed things correctly.

3. The new GT5P whatever-spec pack-in should count for something as well.

Minsc

Gold Member
slaughterking said:
The first shipment was about 200k units.

Yea, and with an additional shipment of 100,000 to carry over in to the following week.

Captain Smoker said:
200,000 DSi units shipped for Japanese launch

Nintendo has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the company shipped almost 200,000 DSi units for the Japanese launch of the console on November 1.

The new handheld went on sale last Saturday, priced JPY 18,900 (USD 179 / EUR 129 / GBP 101) in the region.

It boasts a built-in web browser allowing users to access the DSi Shop, a camera and improved audio functions, a slot for SD memory cards and a slightly larger screen.

Although sales figures for the new hardware are not yet known, Nintendo also confirmed it is shipping a further 100,000 units this week.

Sales of the DS in Japan have declined during October, from over 40,000 units at the beginning of the month, to just under 23,000 copies last week.

A release for the console in the US and Europe is not expected until summer 2009 at the earliest.
source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/200-000-dsi-units-shipped-for-japanese-launch

I guess that means the most sales for this week will be around 130,000?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Case said:
what the hell was Nintendo thinking putting out such a small shipment?

Artificial Demand, and this time for real. Causes an uproar, people desire it more, blah blah blah. Ninty am smart.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Relix said:
Artificial Demand, and this time for real. Causes an uproar, people desire it more, blah blah blah. Ninty am smart.
vmzn0n.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
JonnyBrad said:
Pretty much because its a DS.
Indeed. I also think it has something to do with that it was a bigger upgrade from the DS Lite to the DSi (2 cameras were added, SD-card slot was added, bigger screen(s), anything else then?) compared to the upgrade from the PSP-2000 to the PSP-3000 (built-in microphone, clearer screen, anything else then?).

EDIT: Is it only possible to get access to the DS Store with the DSi, or can you use it with any other DS as well?

EDIT 2: Seems like the DSi has 256MB of internal memory/storage as well :)

Spiegel

Hcoregamer00 said:
So why did this turn out to be a success compared to the PSP-3000?

Hypothesize with me GAF.

Dslite March 2006 -> Dsi November 2008 (32 months)
PSP-2000 September 2007 -> PSP-3000 October 2008 (13 months)

No one would doubt a huge start for DSi. How long the momentum will last will be more interesting, since Nintendo want every single human being in Japan to own one.

Captain Smoker said:
I think my numbers are DSLite + DS ^^
Yeah, looks like the Media Create version of that anyway. 49,118 DS + 68,438 DSL. Famitsu had 61,391 DS + 67,653 DSL, a bigger than normal difference for the original machine.
test_account said:
Is it only possible to get access to the DS Store with the DSi, or can you use it with any other DS as well?
Seems to be an i exclusive.

Vinnk said:

Went to my game store tonight to pre-order Winds of Nostalgia(yeah I'm late) and they had 3 of them, my area's kinda weird though.

Its an incredible launch for DSi, I think PSP2000 skews redesigns launches perception. Kirby is going to fly off shelves this week I'm sure (alongside any DSi restock) but I'm kinda worried about Valkyrie Profile and Avalon Code, without first day sales who knows what happened with them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its an incredible launch for DSi, I think PSP2000 skews redesigns launches perception. Kirby is going to fly off shelves this week I'm sure (alongside any DSi restock) but I'm kinda worried about Valkyrie Profile and Avalon Code, without first day sales who knows what happened with them.
I think they'll both be bomba, especially Avalon Code. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
gtj1092 said:
Did GTA just post better first day sales than just about every next gen RPG i can think of besides maybe Blue Dragon? Crazy times indeed.

That's one of the most depressing gaming-related things I have ever read.

Top Bottom