• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Jokeropia

Oblivion said:
Why? If anything, the whoring out of Mario is possibly one of the main reasons that diluted the people's interest in him.
You're using first day sales of SMG in one territory to conclude that people's interest in Mario is diluted? NSMB is at 11.5 million and is still selling +300k per month worldwide.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jokeropia said:
You're using first day sales of SMG in one territory to conclude that people's interest in Mario is diluted? NSMB is at 11.5 million and is still selling +300k per month worldwide.

Talking console Marios. There have been way more spinoffs on the console end than handheld, no? (besides which, 2D Marios are vastly more appealing to people than 3D ones)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jiggy37 said:
Dragon Quest: The remakes of IV, V, and VI are going to DS.
Tales series: At least for now, the claim is that DS will be the main platform (from post 507 down, although I guess if you're viewing in 100 posts per page the link won't quite work for you). PSP and Wii are each getting a game too, though.
Edit: I should have dug up links. Added the DQ one, finding the Tales one. Edit 2: Okay.

I actually meant with regards to consoles; obviously I know that the DS has DQ4-6 and is the primary Tales platform.

DQ IV/V/VI are ports, not remakes. Nothing like DQ5:R. We have no idea if any DQ5:R style remakes will be done from now on, and if so on what console they will go.

birdchili

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Consensus is a thing, but fact are another thing.
:) truth by democracy?

...and for all the fanboy ammo of varying reliability that's being kicked around, there are some disturbing trends that seem to be becoming apparent for japanese console game fans in general. i personally don't have a vested interest in any new console yet, but i'd sure like to see continued and increasing success for a number of small japanese dev houses, and i'd *way* rather see that success come from console games rather than handhelds (which don't suit my lifestyle at all, really).

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
I actually meant with regards to consoles; obviously I know that the DS has DQ4-6 and is the primary Tales platform.

DQ IV/V/VI are ports, not remakes. Nothing like DQ5:R. We have no idea if any DQ5:R style remakes will be done from now on, and if so on what console they will go.
Ah, I see. >_> Sorry about that.

Grecco

If "Mario whoring" means diluted interest then stuff like Mario Party would have been an utter bomb (It wasnt)

Bebpo

Banned
There's also the changing Japanese culture to consider.

People who grew up on Famicom/SFC and the world of consoles are growing up, getting jobs, and quitting gaming.

These new kids taking their place grew up in a world of GBAs at school and on the train. Multiplayer not on a console, but on handhelds at the park. Then moved to the DS and PSP. There's a good chance that kids growing up today in Japan aren't particularly interested in console gaming.

Nolan.

Grecco said:
If "Mario whoring" means diluted interest then stuff like Mario Party would have been an utter bomb (It wasnt)

To be fair I don't think mario party sold to mario fans more than it did to casuals who saw from the ad that you can waggle, rotate and shake stuff a lot.

sphinx

the piano man
farnham said:
oh yeah and these are the Top 10 PSP software sales.. (dont act if 400k and up was common on the PSP

I know that. It's just that I have the impression that games on PSP don't go unnoticed if marketed properly. Worthy games on Wii/PS3/360, with the exception of Dragon Quest Swords and the Wi trifecta (sport, play, party), just flop and go unnoticed, no matter what.

that being said, a well positioned game on PSP has more chances of generating decent/good sales than one on the Wii/PS3/360. That's the disturbing in all of it, this is the PSP I am talking about, the biggest software sales fiasco in the late videogame history and still a game on the platform would perform better than on the home consoles. @_@.

Xeke

Banned
Wow...What a clusterfuck. Thats pretty much inline with what we should expect from a 3D mario platformer. Some of you must have had absurd expectations...

So to get to something a bit fresher, let me bring up something I haven't done in quite some time. My weekly notable things have become a bit rote, so these lesser ones have fallen a bit by the wayside.

So here are year-to-date year-over-year hardware changes where applicable, and what that would suggest for year-end total if applied to last year's final figures. Using Media Create.

GBA: -67.6% (1.1K)
GBASP: -89.8% (22.7K)
GBM: -79.8% (29.2K)
DS: -99.7% (2.94K)
DSL: +8.1% (8.03M)
PS2: -46.5% (770K)
PSP: +46.7% (2.71M)
X360: +101.6% (391K)

GBA sum: -85.8% (52.6K)
DS sum: -7.8% (7.70M)

Nintendo sum: +29.0% (12.5M)
Sony sum: +33.7% (5.01M)

Consoles: +224.3% (10.0M)
Portables: -1.4% (10.4M)

Total: +30.9% (17.9M)

Of course some of those say some crazy things. Like, last year console sales were pretty slow until they exploded in late November and December. Thus, this calculation assumes a proportionally equal explosion will happen this year, which isn't very likely.

Stumpokapow said:
DQV only exists on SNES and PS2, DQ VI only on SNES. No way are V and VI going to be ports.

Xeke said:
Wow...What a clusterfuck. Thats pretty much inline with what we should expect from a 3D mario platformer. Some of you must have had absurd expectations...

I've been trying to say that same thing, but...people just won't listen.

For fun, here's the threads and launch numbers for some of the DS's best selling titles:

Brain Training 1 - 43,000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78650

Brain Training 2 - 414,000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79397

Animal Crossing - 325,466

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78597

Mario Kart DS - 219,000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78612

Big Brain Academy - 60,000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78645

Tetris DS - 218,099

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112920

Bonus:

Wii Sports - 176,167

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132599

Mario Party 8 - 264,953

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176534&highlight=media+create

Hey guys, i spent a lot of time fixing my new PC (with 8800gt, yeah!!!) and i missed today posts.
What happened you are so excited posting old numbers ???

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
DQV only exists on SNES and PS2, DQ VI only on SNES. No way are V and VI going to be ports.

You're certainly right about that but I assume the V/VI port-makes will just use the IV port engine. So I'd guess that while V and VI will not be strictly speaking ports, they certainly won't be the sort of revolutionary remakes that the original DQIVR and DQVR were or that FF3/FF4R are.

JoshuaJSlone said:
GBA: -67.6% (1.1K)
GBASP: -89.8% (22.7K)
GBM: -79.8% (29.2K)
DS: -99.7% (2.94K)
DSL: +8.1% (8.03M)
PS2: -46.5% (770K)
PSP: +46.7% (2.71M)
X360: +101.6% (391K)

GBA sum: -85.8% (52.6K)
DS sum: -7.8% (7.70M)

Nintendo sum: +29.0% (12.5M)
Sony sum: +33.7% (5.01M)

Consoles: +224.3% (10.0M)
Portables: -1.4% (10.4M)

Total: +30.9% (17.9M)

5f0b9db8886582e374a663c30.gif

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i guess wii owners see galaxy as a needless spinoff of mario party, and would rather that mario stuck to minigames instead of all this inappropriate jumping

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ThirdEye said:
Huge Wii install base + Mario brand < Wii Sports and a party game (MP8). This is very alarming, don't you think?

Umm..you realize those are first week, and not first day numbers right?

Nolan.

drohne said:
i guess wii owners see galaxy as a needless spinoff of mario party, and would rather that mario stuck to minigames instead of all this inappropriate jumping
I was wondering what you would have to say about it... quite tame by your standards.

drohne

i'm actually in sort of an elegiac mood about nintendo's impending departure from videogames -- blame those iwata interviews with the galaxy staff. i'm going to play nintendo's last game in a spirit of reconciliation and fond remembrance.

drohne

i tried to play twilight princess in a mood of reconciliation and fond remembrance but it kept giving way to a mood of irritation with its pointless filler and abysmal pacing

second time's the charm

or it had better be, since there isn't going to be any third time

Xeke

Banned
drohne said:
i'm actually in sort of an elegaic mood about nintendo's impending departure from videogames -- blame those iwata interviews with the galaxy staff. i'm going to play nintendo's last game in a spirit of reconciliation and fond remembrance.

Yeah, I heard that they canceled Brawl because of your excellent points.

ThirdEye said:
Wii Sports Japan Release Date: 2006/12/02. The ranking: 11/27 - 12/03. See?

You're still comparing one day versus two.

Not to mention that Wii Sports was a LAUNCH TITLE, not to mention THE launch title, for a launch where the Wii sold 350,000 units. Furthermore, SMG is going to do more than 170,000 it's first week and maybe even more than 260,000 since apparently it's first day was better than Mario Party 8's first day.

birdchili

drohne said:
or it had better be, since there isn't going to be any third time
here's hopin' you take that back before end-of-gen.

awaiting impressions of a true cynic, of course. though the mario avatar makes you suspect:)

also: elegiac (yeah - i looked it up, though i should have figured...)

drohne

THE TIME STAMPS WILL SHOW THAT I CAUGHT THAT ONE BEFORE YOU POINTED IT OUT

it's one of those words i tend to misspell -- mispronounce too

Jokeropia

Nolan. said:
So how much did zack and wiki sell hundreds of lower thousands.?
11k I believe.
sphinx said:
I know that. It's just that I have the impression that games on PSP don't go unnoticed if marketed properly. Worthy games on Wii/PS3/360, with the exception of Dragon Quest Swords and the Wi trifecta (sport, play, party), just flop and go unnoticed, no matter what.

that being said, a well positioned game on PSP has more chances of generating decent/good sales than one on the Wii/PS3/360.
What is a "worthy game" and what should such a game sell? If you draw the line at DQ:Swords, Wii has six "non-flops" and PSP three. (Despite PSP having been out a lot longer.)

ksamedi

ThirdEye said:
Huge Wii install base + Mario brand < Wii Sports and a party game (MP8). This is very alarming, don't you think?

Why? It happened to Mario Sunshine as well. Even if Mario Galaxy will go on to sell 1 million copies, no one will believe its a succes because it can't beat Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy or Pokemon. People don't even realize what 1 million means in Japan, its fucking huge.

ksamedi said:
Why? It happened to Mario Sunshine as well. Even if Mario Galaxy will go on to sell 1 million copies, no one will believe its a succes because it can't beat Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy or Pokemon. People don't even realize what 1 million means in Japan, its fucking huge.

and don't forget, NSMB sold 5 mio in japan.

Nolan.

Jokeropia said:
11k I believe.
What is a "worthy game" and what should such a game sell? If you draw the line at DQ:Swords, Wii has six "non-flops" and PSP three. (Despite PSP having been out a lot longer.)

Thanks for that, Not as much as I thought it would have done but might have good word of mouth who knows.

angelfly

Nintendo needs to start releasing more software in NA first. No way would SMG have done only 130k (not saying it's a bad number or anything) but had it been released here on the 1st it would have done a lot better. If this game pulls a TP (good but nowhere near NA) in regards to sales then I think that's going to send a big message to Nintendo.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I was so engulfed with Ar Tonelico 2 and praying that it gets a USA release that I totally forgot about the Hardware numbers.

The PSP and DS are selling pretty damn well, the way it should be.

Stumpokapow said:

DQ IV/V/VI are ports, not remakes. Nothing like DQ5:R.

DQIV is, indeed, an enhanced port of the PSX version. However, 5 and 6 are going to have to be done over from scratch -- they're not just going to be ports of the SFAM versions. VI, especially, has never been remade, which means the DS version will be getting the first new-assets, new-added-content, full-on remake of the game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Disappointing numbers indeed.

I suspect it'll have legs and reach 500,000 bare minimum. But 130k ain't so hot, unless its stays that high or goes even higher next week.

botticus

RurouniZel said:

I suspect it'll have legs and reach 500,000 bare minimum. But 130k ain't so hot, unless its stays that high or goes even higher next week.
500k... lifetime? 130k's for a day.

RurouniZel

I said minimum, not only. :p it isn't a race to be sure, but if the sales take a significant drop next week, problems.

RurouniZel said:
I said minimum, not only. :p it isn't a race to be sure, but if the sales take a significant drop next week, problems.

Either way, that's really lowballing its liftetime total. This week alone [three days] is probably going to be at least 250k, and probably closer to 350k.

RurouniZel

You're probably right, but I just wasn't setting my expectations too high in the first place, because while it is Mario, its a 3-D mario whereas NSMB was 2-D.

What's with all the fuss, SMG had a better opening then MP8 and MP8 is going to be a million seller soon. Which means SMG should perform the same. SMS failed to reach a million.

Lobster

Banned
RurouniZel said:

500k will be the bare minimum for the monthly sales..

Top Bottom