• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

wazoo

angelfly said:
Nintendo needs to start releasing more software in NA first. No way would SMG have done only 130k (not saying it's a bad number or anything) but had it been released here on the 1st it would have done a lot better. If this game pulls a TP (good but nowhere near NA) in regards to sales then I think that's going to send a big message to Nintendo.

Japanese devs only care about Japan. If it fails in Japan, the game is a failure.

Zelda TP did faily well in the WEst, but Miyamoto said it is a bad game, because japanese customers did not buy it.

Capcom will not do a Dead rising 2 soon, because it is a failure in Japan despite good US sales, because all the execs see is the japanese charts.

Look, Zack and Wiki, even if the game did rise to heaven in europe, it will never get a sequel because of its bomb in Japan.

Xeke

Banned
wazoo said:
Japanese devs only care about Japan. If it fails in Japan, the game is a failure.

Zelda TP did faily well in the WEst, but Miyamoto said it is a bad game, because japanese customers did not buy it.

Capcom will not do a Dead rising 2 soon, because it is a failure in Japan despite good US sales, because all the execs see is the japanese charts.

Look, Zack and Wiki, even if the game did rise to heaven in europe, it will never get a sequel because of its bomb in Japan.

Thats a silly attitude. The Metroid Prime games don't sell in Japan, Castlevania doesn't sell in Japan, Zelda doesn't sell as well in Japan but they all get sequels.

wazoo

Xeke said:
Thats a silly attitude. The Metroid Prime games don't sell in Japan, Castlevania doesn't sell in Japan, Zelda doesn't sell as well in Japan but they all get sequels.

I'm just commenting their own words (beside Z&W where I extrapolate).

As for Zelda, we can find Miyamoto exact words, but the point is that he judged the quality of the games on the level of Japan sales. He told that the game will have to change to attract more japanese customers.

Metroid is a US made game, and Castlevania costs nothing to do.

Bebpo said:
EoJ where you need a freaking card table and camera setup isn't really comparable to a game you just pop in. Especially an RPG by a medium-sized game publisher.

X360 games that are by medium-size publishers like Koei or Konami do like 20k+, PS3, I dunno, not enough games to tell.

I think Opoona's death following Dewey, following Zack & Wiki is far more of an issue than Mario's good, but not amazing, sales.
Really late but look at Zack and Wiki, Dewey, and Opoona. They all eerily look like they have the same aesthetics(casual, "kiddy" looking) and similar gameplay(hardcore, "traditional" mechanics). They scare both the hardcores and casuals away.

Maybe Publishers need to stop making games that suffers from an identity crisis, and you know, put a "real" hardcore game with a "hardcore" aesthetic and gameplay.

Most of the 360 stuff that sold 20k look like real hardcore games instead of some vomit inducing, saccharine, Nintendo-lite art. Ghost Squad hit 20k and didn't pretend something it's obviously not.

wazoo said:

This is pretty much true, sadly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Stumpokapow said:
I actually meant with regards to consoles; obviously I know that the DS has DQ4-6 and is the primary Tales platform.

DQ IV/V/VI are ports, not remakes. Nothing like DQ5:R. We have no idea if any DQ5:R style remakes will be done from now on, and if so on what console they will go.
uhhhhhhhhhh.......

CANLI

Jp developers cares about outside Japan.

If they didn't, by example, why DS bombed games like Touch Detective, Izuna, Sonic games, Electroplankton, Trauma Center, Yugioh games, Hoshigami, Lunar knight, bomberman games, Castlevania, Front mission, Contact (one of the best examples), Cooking mama, Heroes of Mana and maaaany are being released continously outside Japan?

They try it, surely not all the games but they try it.

PS: believe or not; Mario Galaxy will be a million seller in Japan for sure. Don't forget it.

wazoo said:
As for Zelda, we can find Miyamoto exact words, but the point is that he judged the quality of the games on the level of Japan sales. He told that the game will have to change to attract more japanese customers.

I think their reasoning for that is Zelda will sell in the West no matter how they package it (Tingle notwithstanding), but they'd like to get the Japanese market back into the series. Still a mite condescending, I suppose.

wazoo

CANLI said:
Jp developers cares about outside Japan.

If they didn't, by example, why DS bombed games like Touch Detective, Izuna, Sonic games, Electroplankton, Trauma Center, Yugioh games, Hoshigami, Lunar knight, bomberman games, Castlevania, Front mission, Contact (one of the best examples), Cooking mama, Heroes of Mana and maaaany are being released continously outside Japan?

When the game is done, the effort to release it here is not much, and much less than greenlighting a sequel.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
wazoo said:
I'm just commenting their own words (beside Z&W where I extrapolate).

Metroid is a US made game, and Castlevania costs nothing to do.

Miyamoto didn't say the quality of TP was bad, he said the Japanese sales for the game were "disappointing", which does not mean the same as bombing or bad quality, just not selling as well as they had hoped for such a high profile title (even though it is indeed the worst selling console Zelda game in Japan, 500k+ for a heavily Western-styled Zelda game is not what I would call a bomb, and it did fantastic everywhere else.)

Metroid is a US-made? What, all of them?! Even the in-house Metroids haven't sold very well in Japan, so that's not a good example.

Contrary to popular belief there are examples of Nintendo catering to non-Japanese markets as their first priority, from releasing games in areas first (like Minish Cap in Europe) to games that don't even get a release in Japan at all (Pokemon Puzzle League, and I'm sure Star Tropics was one as well.)

CANLI

wazoo said:
When the game is done, the effort to release it here is not much, and much less than greenlighting a sequel.

but why games like DQ Monsters, Fire Emblem, FF XII RW, etc... take so much time to be released..?
when you see games like Zack & Wiki are being released simultanously everywhere?

wazoo

SovanJedi said:
Miyamoto didn't say the quality of TP was bad, he said the Japanese sales for the game were "disappointing", which does not mean the same as bombing or bad quality, just not selling as well as they had hoped for such a high profile title (even though it is indeed the worst selling console Zelda game in Japan, 500k+ for a heavily Western-styled Zelda game is not what I would call a bomb, and it did fantastic everywhere else.)

what hurted me is that is he related the quality of the games to the reception of japanese public. Considering, I do not know where the interview is, I do not want to talk more about this without facts, but this was my impression six month ago.

Metroid is a US-made? What, all of them?! Even the in-house Metroids haven't sold very well in Japan, so that's not a good example.

I was talking about the 3D games. the 2D metroids are the same as castlevania, they cost nothing to do. You can also wonder : the GBA Metroids were selling well in the west (1M+ ?) and pretty badly in Japan. We still have to get a DS Metroid. I think we would have had it if Fusion sold well in Japan.

Contrary to popular belief there are examples of Nintendo catering to non-Japanese markets as their first priority, from releasing games in areas first (like Minish Cap in Europe) to games that don't even get a release in Japan at all (Pokemon Puzzle League, and I'm sure Star Tropics was one as well.)

I do not know about the last two, but for Minish Cap, the bad japanese sales were a surprise to Nintendo and a reason for the heavy change for the DS game. At least, the Zelda name warranted a second chance.

wazoo

CANLI said:
but why games like DQ Monsters, Fire Emblem, FF XII RW, etc... take so much time to be released..?
when you see games like Zack & Wiki are being released simultanously everywhere?

Because for big companies like Square and Nintendo, the schedule of all games together to maximize sales is more important, maybe.

3 weeks ago there was a poll on JGC about SMG and how many weeks it could take to reach million seller status...

1st week : 21%
2nd week : 37%
3rd week : 42%
4th week or more : 0%

i think if i should make that poll again, percentages should be very different from the original :D

Lobster

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
3 weeks ago there was a poll on JGC about SMG and how many weeks it could take to reach million seller status...

i think if i should make that poll again, percentages should be very different from the original :D

Nah I reckon by 3rd week it will reach close to a million. By 2nd week it will sell all 700k retail preorders. By 4th week it will have sold over 1 million.

1st week will be 500k, second week 200k, it could be more then 200k if they shipped more under our noses.

wazoo said:

Maximo bombed everywhere and they still made a sequel. Iirc the first one was made in Japan. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me?

ksamedi said:
Whats your problem with Zack and Wiki?
Don't mind rakka, he often drops one-liners on certain games without going into detail.

AnIco

Phife Dawg said:
Maximo bombed everywhere and they still made a sequel. Iirc the first one was made in Japan. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me?
Both of the released Maximo games were developed by the Californian based Capcom Production Studio 8. It was closed last year, thus the third sequel was cancelled. The characters were designed by Susumu Matsushita - famous for Famitsu's cover art and Famitsu's Necky the Fox mascot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Error said:
uhhhhhhhhhh.......

We went over this last past; JoshuaJSlone pointed out that I'm incorrect about V and VI, which I conceded. My point is still pretty apt though, because while V and VI will be remakes, they'll more be "step up" remakes rather than remakes of the magnitude of DQVR (PS2) and the FF3/FF4 remakes.

Unless they magically manage to finagle the DQ5R engine onto the DS... which is not likely.

Innotech

Banned
I think, in the case of the Wii, that many games have potential to be "stealth" million sellers due to the more casual userbase that doesnt line up and buy things day one.

Stumpokapow said:
We went over this last past; JoshuaJSlone pointed out that I'm incorrect about V and VI, which I conceded. My point is still pretty apt though, because while V and VI will be remakes, they'll more be "step up" remakes rather than remakes of the magnitude of DQVR (PS2) and the FF3/FF4 remakes.

Unless they magically manage to finagle the DQ5R engine onto the DS... which is not likely.
We don't know anything about them yet, do we? So they could be fitting the original games into ds with a new interface or they could be doing them from scratch.

And by the way, you included Tales series as going Wii but not Final Fantasy? Wii is getting spinoffs of both, so either count them both or don't count any of them.

D.Lo

titiklabingapat said:
Really late but look at Zack and Wiki, Dewey, and Opoona. They all eerily look like they have the same aesthetics(casual, "kiddy" looking) and similar gameplay(hardcore, "traditional" mechanics). They scare both the hardcores and casuals away.

Maybe Publishers need to stop making games that suffers from an identity crisis, and you know, put a "real" hardcore game with a "hardcore" aesthetic and gameplay.

Most of the 360 stuff that sold 20k look like real hardcore games instead of some vomit inducing, saccharine, Nintendo-lite art. Ghost Squad hit 20k and didn't pretend something it's obviously not.
Totally agree.

Not that they had to have blood and boobs to be 'mature', but why not something slightly less kiddy for the aesthetic. Like, for example, Viewtiful Joe - an awesome hardcore game with non saccharine stylised cartoon visuals.

Monster Hunter 3 looks to be the first true test of what a good 3rd party Wii game can do, because it's the first one which hasn't been poorly thought out from a market perspective.

egocrata

Banned
titiklabingapat said:

Listen to him, as this man speaks the truth. Only Nintendo and maybe Sega (Samba de Amigo) can sugar-coat hardcore (Smash Bros) and keep the crazy gamers in.

Lobster

Banned
egocrata said:
Listen to him, as this man speaks the truth. Only Nintendo and maybe Sega (Samba de Amigo) can sugar-coat hardcore (Smash Bros) and keep the crazy gamers in.

Yes true because they actually think those type of games deserve advertising.

AnIco said:
Both of the released Maximo games were developed by the Californian based Capcom Production Studio 8. It was closed last year, thus the third sequel was cancelled. The characters were designed by Susumu Matsushita - famous for Famitsu's cover art and Famitsu's Necky the Fox mascot.
Ah OK, thx, I thought only the second one was CPS 8.

andthebeatgoeson

D.Lo said:
Totally agree.

Not that they had to have blood and boobs to be 'mature', but why not something slightly less kiddy for the aesthetic. Like, for example, Viewtiful Joe - an awesome hardcore game with non saccharine stylised cartoon visuals.

Monster Hunter 3 looks to be the first true test of what a good 3rd party Wii game can do, because it's the first one which hasn't been poorly thought out from a market perspective.
Yeah, stop bringing up new kiddy franchises and complaining they don't sell. When Capcom and Konami and what not focus their main efforts on the Wii, then we can talk. Zack and Wiki doesn't compare to MGS. They still aren't putting out big series so shouldn't expect big sales. It's been less than a year since the Wii launched and we learned about these games after launch. Am I right? They could have been cooking for awhile but I still don't see AAA effort put into these games hitting the Wii from a 3rd party perspective.

Moor-Angol said:

With just a 130k first-day start, 300k first week should be a reasonable estimate. Even if the 2nd and 3rd week sales hardly drop, SMG will still need at least 4 weeks to reach 1M.

ethelred

wazoo said:
I was talking about the 3D games. the 2D metroids are the same as castlevania, they cost nothing to do. You can also wonder : the GBA Metroids were selling well in the west (1M+ ?) and pretty badly in Japan. We still have to get a DS Metroid. I think we would have had it if Fusion sold well in Japan.

Er... 2D Metroids certainly do cost something to make. Quality 2D games aren't exactly free, you know.

skinnyrattler said:
Yeah, stop bringing up new kiddy franchises and complaining they don't sell. When Capcom and Konami and what not focus their main efforts on the Wii, then we can talk. Zack and Wiki doesn't compare to MGS. They still aren't putting out big series so shouldn't expect big sales. It's been less than a year since the Wii launched and we learned about these games after launch. Am I right? They could have been cooking for awhile but I still don't see AAA effort put into these games hitting the Wii from a 3rd party perspective.

It's really too bad for you that you can only evaluate effort in terms of artistic direction. Treasure Island Z may not be Twilight Princess matoor, but it's certainly an AAA effort from Capcom (hell, it's better than pretty much all of the Nintendo games on the system).

ethelred

Nolan. said:
Wait a minute if kiddy doesn't sell on Nintendo console anymore then are kiddy games doomed then?

It's really too bad. Treasure Island Z isn't even kiddy, per se -- it's old school mascotty. I love that stuff. It'd be such a shame if colorful mascot games died off, but that certainly appears the direction in which we're heading. I dunno, maybe we'll get really lucky and Capcom will just go nuts and greenlight a Treasure Island Z DS before they fold up the stillborn franchise for being too good for the era in which they made it.

puck1337

What's the fuss about? The Wii is marketed directly to casual gamers,, who aren't the kind of people that line up to buy a game. If they want the game, they'll buy it when it's convenient, which might be days/weeks/months in the future.

It'll easily sell 1.5 million units in Japan by the end of New Year's celebrations.

wazoo said:

What? Dead Rising? You mean one of the games created for X360 as part of a specific effort on Capcom's part to appeal specifically to Western audiences? I don't disagree specifically with the "only Japanese sales are really important to developers" idea, but DR is a terrible example to use.

Stumpokapow said:

I don't think it's that accurate. DQ6 is going to be the first remake of the game ever, and is certain to have the appropriate level of new content. DQ5 is being remade with brand new graphical assets and a different engine, and is also quite likely to have new content (either in addition to, or in place of, the previous DQ5's added content.)

Nolan.

ethelred said:
It's really too bad. Treasure Island Z isn't even kiddy, per se -- it's old school mascotty. I love that stuff. It'd be such a shame if colorful mascot games died off, but that certainly appears the direction in which we're heading. I dunno, maybe we'll get really lucky and Capcom will just go nuts and greenlight a Treasure Island Z DS before they fold up the stillborn franchise for being too good for the era in which they made it.

Maybe I just don't get what kiddy means but most of the games that people have called kiddy I don't think even belong there. Also if they did I always figured of all the bases nintendo's was much more accepting to the ''kiddy'' or more appropriately light hearted image for a game. I like those kind of games so I hope people don't abandon them to the point of them becoming almost rarely seen.

drohne said:
i guess wii owners see galaxy as a needless spinoff of mario party, and would rather that mario stuck to minigames instead of all this inappropriate jumping
Sadly I have to agree with this. It's one of the draw backs of aiming a console at casual gamers.

Nolan. said:
Wait a minute if kiddy doesn't sell on Nintendo console anymore then are kiddy games doomed then?
*fingers crossed*

Jokeropia

M°°nblade said:
Sadly I have to agree with this. It's one of the draw backs of aiming a console at casual gamers.
Dare to put your money where your mouth is and bet your account on Mario Party 8 outselling SMG worldwide?

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
Dare to put your money where your mouth is and bet your account on Mario Party 8 outselling SMG worldwide?
It should outsell MP8 just in Japan.

1) All the MP8 buyers purchase it thinking it's a sequel to MP8.
2) A handful of people buy it knowing what it is.

Boom, SMG > MP8.

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
It should outsell MP8 just in Japan.
I think so too (after all, it was mentioned specifically by Sinobi that it had a better start than MP8), it just seemed as if the statement concerned Wii owners in general.

ethelred said:
We're not getting any more Klonoa because of people like you.

You're a very bad man.
Hey I actually bought klonoa 2.

Jokeropia said:
I dare not. It should outsell MP8.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ethelred said:
It's really too bad for you that you can only evaluate effort in terms of artistic direction. Treasure Island Z may not be Twilight Princess matoor, but it's certainly an AAA effort from Capcom (hell, it's better than pretty much all of the Nintendo games on the system).

I don't think he was implying the game itself would be bad, but that it's a turnoff to most people. As someone mentioned, it seems too kiddy too appeal to older gamers, and the game's apparently may be too difficult for younger gamers, thus screwing both demographics.

Top Bottom