• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

zeroshiki said:
The PSP Slims available were only the Crisis Core bundles though. So the PSP sales jump that week was directly caused by Crisis Core.
Yeah. If it hadn't been for Slim, though, I don't think the week before Crisis Core would've been so low. I'm also guessing there were people who waited a few extra days to buy CC with the Slim since they couldn't find a bundle, so without the Slim the Crisis Core week itself could've been bigger. That period altogether is just scrambled by the arrival of the Slim, and we can't know how things would've looked had it really been a software-only bump period.
Fafalada said:
Uhm, I could remember wrong but I was sure that first PS2 Jpn milion seller was Onimusha (and also the first sign of software attach picking up).
This is what I thought as well, but according to Japa Game-Charts' Famitsu-based numbers, it topped out around 930K. This was its total in the 2001 Top 100 list, so a later rerelease could've pushed it past, or Famitsu could've undertracked it.

test_account

XP-39C²
zeroshiki said:
I'm not really getting into any analysis over here. I'm just saying that PSP got a bump directly tied to Crisis Core. Nothing more than that. Whether people would have rather bought one without buying Crisis Core and without the sticker on the system itself is not particularly important to the point because they didn't and were unable to.

Well.. true, they were tied to FFCC since as you say, only those bundles were avalible, but still, i do belive it would have sold 77,777 systems that week even without FFCC. Looking at the next week, the PSP sold about 277k and FFCC sold about 108k. I do agree that FFCC had some impact on the PSP sales, but not as huge that hundres of thousands bought a PSP Slim just because of it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Segata Sanshiro said:
If the opening week is less than Super Mario Sunshine's, you guys aren't going to like Ethelred and me much this week.

Starting a new meme?

I blame Sunshine.

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
If the opening week is less than Super Mario Sunshine's, you guys aren't going to like Ethelred and me much this week.

Why? It would show that Nintendo isn't trying to single out third-parties in their quest to destroy traditional gaming. "Fair and balanced"

Kenka said:
I'm surprised people are not more passionate about SMG sales. Normally, blood would have shed a long time ago already.

Who else want to take a ban bet ? Let's make the wait worth what it should be
You know what? I'll take that bet. I bet you that next week's SMG numbers are <350k.

Let's call it a two week ban, shall we? I'll even take a ban for a month if you'd like.

I'm fairly certain that this game will have NSMB's legs, but that it won't start off spectacularly. Neither the N64 or the Gamecube set Japan alight, so I doubt there's the same nostalgia factor associated with 3D Mario in Japan as there is in the West.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:

Oh man, you guys take this whole fanboy thing way too seriously.

Kenka

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
You know what? I'll take that bet. I bet you that next week's SMG numbers are <350k.

Let's call it a two week ban, shall we? I'll even take a ban for a month if you'd like.

I'm fairly certain that this game will have NSMB's legs, but that it won't start off spectacularly. Neither the N64 or the Gamecube set Japan alight, so I doubt there's the same nostalgia factor associated with 3D Mario in Japan as there is in the West.

Great ! Such things raise the interest of these threads and give them a worthy EPO injection shot.

I'll go for a two weeks ban.

So :

SMG numbers > 350'000 = Squirrel banned for two weeks
SMG numbers < 350'000 = Kenka watches ass to mouth videos when he comes back from school for practically the rest of november

Kenka said:
SMG numbers < 350'000 = Kenka watches ass to mouth videos when he comes back from school for practically the rest of november
And if you're not banned, you can do both! It's a world of choice!

Now we just need someone with real power to enforce this ban bet and we're set.

Madame Dragona?

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Japan: The last refuge of Sales-Agers who like real numbers.

No leak of first week sales from Sinobi yet ? :(

Is it true about the NPD rumours, donny ? Has Sonycowboy confirmed it ? (I didn't want to wade through 23 pages just to find confirmation from sonycowboy).

I don't get the Zack and Wiki trolling.

People are blaming the Wii audience and not the developers.

Let's be honest here, is the Wii audience really to blame? Would this game have done any better sales wise if it had been released on the 360 or PS3? No. It's not any console demographic to blame but just the wrong type of game for the current state of the market.

Mario Galaxy will have legs.. this game is awesome and is getting great reviews from everyone. It'll move systems too.

hell the Ds mario game had insane legs. i can't see this title being any different. AAA flagship mario title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
apujanata said:
No leak of first week sales from Sinobi yet ? :(

Is it true about the NPD rumours, donny ? Has Sonycowboy confirmed it ? (I didn't want to wade through 23 pages just to find confirmation from sonycowboy).

It has been confirmed, but the manufacturers can leak the numbers if they so desire. I imagine Nintendo and Microsoft will give us the goods.

tanod

when is my burrito
schuelma said:
It has been confirmed, but the manufacturers can leak the numbers if they so desire. I imagine Nintendo and Microsoft will give us the goods.

I would expect more along the lines of "We outsold our competitors by 3 to 1" and "month to month revenue was up xx%." They don't have any incentive to give hard figures when ratios make them look better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tanod said:
I would expect more along the lines of "We outsold our competitors by 3 to 1." They don't have any incentive to give hard figures when ratios make them look better.

Well, even if they just do that we should still be able to sort out the numbers for ourselves.

So I'll just make a note of it here in this Japanesey thread because I'd feel obligated to put some effort into it as a new one: Hiroshi Yamauchi is 80 today.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I'll just make a note of it here in this Japanesey thread because I'd feel obligated to put some effort into it as a new one: Hiroshi Yamauchi is 80 today.

3 cheers for Yamauchi! The Wii was made for you, you old bastard. :D

justjohn

according to sinobi reservations for the white ps3 have exceeded expectations.looks like it could be huge. surprised sony havent released pre order numbers

farnham

Banned
250k is a bomb now..

Wow that means every game on PS3 is a bomb

250k first week is better then WiiPlay and WiiSports BTW

Eteric Rice

Well, at least hardware is picking up again.

Slowly but surely.

titiklabingapat said:
It actually did better than I expected. Usually, games do 70% of thier weekly sales on the first sales. 250k tells me that SMG might sport legs.

True, seems most Mario titles do that these days.

I mean, 250k isn't a bomb in reality, but compared to the hype, etc... Yeah. >_>

Kildace

So the sterams *did* cross. Not the ones everyone expected though.

farnham said:
250k is a bomb now..

Wow that means every game on PS3 is a bomb

250k first week is better then WiiPlay and WiiSports BTW

Oh come on, that's below 90% of GAF's expectations for first week sales, don't try to rationalize it now.

RBH

titiklabingapat said:
SMG bomba, 250k first week
Jonnyram said:
360 17000
PS3 16000

startrekshock.gif

Eteric Rice said:
True, seems most Mario titles do that these days.

I mean, 250k isn't a bomb in reality, but compared to the hype, etc... Yeah. >_>
One could argue that 3d marios don't really incite as much hype as a 2d ones, in Japan anyway. Again, Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine did most of thier sales in North America. It's like Nintendo's Halo.

Eteric Rice

titiklabingapat said:
One could argue that 3d marios don't really incite as much hype as a 2d ones, in Japan anyway. Again, Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine did most of thier sales in North America. It's like Nintendo's Halo.

Nah, that's Brawl.

Narcosis

I want to expect where to expand in special procurements of Christmas of the Nintendo established custom within the year.

Reading this translated line, written like that, has really messed me up at this early in the morning....

Anyways, that Home Teacher Hitman, Let's Assassinate game sounds quite amusing.

farnham

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
It actually did better than I expected. Usually, games do 70% of thier weekly sales on the first day. 250k tells me that SMG might sport legs.

Nintendo games do..?

how much did Brain Age do in its first day...? (First week was like 50k.... Its sold over 3 million copies now)

Top Bottom