• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

Parl

Frillen said:
WTF!?!? DS Novel!? Why wuld anyone buy this shitz it's just nother non game DS crappz i hate japan...
its only 39k in 1 wek brain age did 5 million. non-gaming is dying in japan look at ds and wii sales. psps sales go ape shit when game releses look at crisis core. it shows the gaming community in japan r jus waiting for the big games on ps3 and are buyin ps2 games for now.

Frankfurter said:
PS3 had a price drop and ... Wii increases while PS3 more or less stays the same?
Compared to the previous week's early Famitsu numbers, this is a PS3 increase of 43%.

Smiles and Cries said:
SONY should give up on the PS3 this holiday in Japan and focus on the PS2 and PSP for a few more months, nothing they do now seems to be working... if PSP can comeback strong like it did they can bring the PS3 back in a year or two
PSP started off better than PS3 has. If they give up on PS3 now, later it will be in a much shittier position than PSP was pre-Crisis Core/Slim.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Parl said:
its only 39k in 1 wek brain age did 5 million. non-gaming is dying in japan look at ds and wii sales. psps sales go ape shit when game releses look at crisis core. it shows the gaming community in japan r jus waiting for the big games on ps3 and are buyin ps2 games for now.

WTF:lol

Koren

Kildace said:
Not really, you need a piece of hardware to pirate the DS, I don't think you need one to pirate the PSP.
On the other side, it seems to be really easy to find this piece of hardware, and after that, it's easy/cheap to pirate games. And you don't take a single risk by flashing firmware.

(and besides this, I think to remember reading you can pirate the DS using just some WiFi routers, but don't quote me on that)

cvxfreak

The white PS3 could be what it needs to get out of its stagnant position. While price has rarely helped a losing console gain the upper hand in Japan, the arrival of the holiday season as well as a few higher profile titles should help. Whether Sony can sustain higher sales post-new year like they did with the PSP remains to be seen, though.

donny2112

acuul said:
now you gotta tell me WHY wii rises after last weak weeks.

I don't understand.

Wii Fit preorders started ... and subsequently sold out.
At least it was that way on Amazon. :lol

Lupin3 said:
I think a lot of PS3 buyers are waiting for the cheaper 40GB version right now.

Just like all those PS3 buyers in the U.K. snapped up the 40GB the week it was released, right?

Potential PS3 buyers are waiting, right now, for sure, but for what is another question.

Aeris130 said:
Why are HW still so high if ppl can't be bothered to pick up CCFF7?

I know! It's just so unusual for the PSP to see good hardware sales but then sell nothing in software. That's never happened before.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
donny2112 said:
Just like all those PS3 buyers in the U.K. snapped up the 40GB the week it was released, right?

If you want to compare UK with JAP, sure!

Parl

Lupin3 said:
If you want to compare UK with JAP, sure!

The 60 GB price drop accounted for most of the sales. If that translated to Japan, then the 40 GB introduction will mean and even lower sales increase. I think the colour of it will help though. But last week's sales rise shows that not many people are actually waiting for new prices (or at least the latest new price).

Furoba

I have a feeling Wii sales are going to spike quite a bit this week (Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure + Ghost Squad + Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party) and especially from next week (Mario Galaxy) and the following weeks on (Nights, no more heroes, Wii Fit, Battalion Wars 2,...).

Wii might be sold out well into Spring 2008.

Culex

Banned
Furoba said:
I have a feeling Wii sales are going to spike quite a bit this week (Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure + Ghost Squad + Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party) and especially from next week (Mario Galaxy) and the following weeks on (Nights, no more heroes, Wii Fit, Battalion Wars 2,...).

Wii might be sold out well into Spring 2008.

Pretty much, now that all the good software is trickling in after a month and a half of nothing, sales will start to rise. I'd expect one insane 2 months of sales.

The increase of the Wii is too small (to say that it is accurate). It is better to wait for Media Create numbers. Otherwise, I thought that the PS3 has had a price cut.....or not ?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Stumpokapow said:
100 books for 25 bucks with a nice interface and easily to carry. Fuck you if you think that's a bad deal. This isn't some stupid "4th grader political quiz DS" or "Train your beard in minutes a day". It's a genuinely good idea for a piece of software in my opinion.

Oh shit, I would buy if there was a USA release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh shit, I would buy if there was a USA release.

Obviously depends on the books provided and how well the font/interface translate, but if it has a good bookmark system, at least 50-100 books, and a good selection including classics (preferably some of the underappreciated Twain like The Gilded Age) and modern books (scoring a King book or ever a Koontz would sell this like hotcakes)... then it'll be awesome.

BTW a US release is somewhat likely given that the first announcement of this app as "DS Novel" came from the same Leipzig NOE release list as "Advance Wars DS 2".

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Stumpokapow said:
Obviously depends on the books provided and how well the font/interface translate, but if it has a good bookmark system, at least 50-100 books, and a good selection including classics (preferably some of the underappreciated Twain like The Gilded Age) and modern books (scoring a King book or ever a Koontz would sell this like hotcakes)... then it'll be awesome.

BTW a US release is somewhat likely given that the first announcement of this app as "DS Novel" came from the same Leipzig NOE release list as "Advance Wars DS 2".

As long as they don't have books like "Great Expectations" I would be okay with it.

God I hate that book.

slaughterking said:
Why? Release-wise nothing has happend, so the bump is just the result of the anticipation of upcoming releases. If at all.

No, I meant that it is too small to be sure it has really happened. Famitsu-MC differences are often huge.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Also, Sega, please attend me carefully: THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG with your strategy when Seaman is selling more than new Sonic games.
Er... isn't that the way it's always been? Even on Dreamcast? :/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
No, I meant that it is too small to be sure it has really happened. Famitsu-MC differences are often huge.

I'd say going from 24K to 31K is significant enough to probably lead to a similar MC bump. Guess we'll see though.

Belgorim

schuelma said:
I'd say going from 24K to 31K is significant enough to probably lead to a similar MC bump. Guess we'll see though.
didnt the ps3 drop like that in last weeks famitsu, but not in MC?

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Probably because Seaman was a better game than either of the Dreamcast Sonic offerings?
Well sure... but even when it was good (ie: MegaDrive/CD), Sonic wasn't that big a seller in Japan. It's never sold as well as Seaman did anyway.

Jokeropia

A 30% increase for Wii (50% over two weeks) should be well outside the margin of error, regardless of how the Media-Create numbers turn out. Wii sales are definitively going up again now, and I'm again amazed that when it finally happened it was during two weeks with NO new releases.

D.Lo

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Media Create isn't 'real' and Famitsu/Enterbrain 'fake', they're just differently tracked (reasonably accurate) estimates.

If anything Famitsu has been proven to be more accurate for hardware since MC tracked the GameCube higher then Nintendo claimed they had shipped.

No one seems to care, but let me mention one more time that the slight increase of Wii has something to do with the new bundle sold (Wiimote jacket). This is not just my own thought. Shinobi also mentions that in his blog, and the rise of this new bundle on Amazon also proves something.

ITA84

Hcoregamer00 said:
As long as they don't have books like "Great Expectations" I would be okay with it.

God I hate that book.

They'll probably go with "Lowered Expectations" then. :D

I hope things shake up a bit in MC threads in the next weeks, they're starting to get too serious.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Compared to the previous week's early Famitsu numbers, this is a PS3 increase of 43%.
that drop last week was because people knew the price drop was coming. this weeks sales are the range it had been getting before news of the price drop came out. it's not really fair to compare the sales of the system after news of the price drop was out, but before the price drop to justify that there's been an increase in sales as a result of the price drop.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
No. The PS3 was pretty much the same Famitsu vs. M-create.

Famitsu had PS3 at 8400, MC had it at 12,365. That is a difference of 3965 to be exact, which is pretty big considering the numbers are fairly low.

AnimeTheme said:
No one seems to care, but let me mention one more time that the slight increase of Wii has something to do with the new bundle sold (Wiimote jacket). This is not just my own thought. Shinobi also mentions that in his blog, and the rise of this new bundle on Amazon also proves something.
So people are really afraid they might damage their TV-sets? :lol Oh well I ordered 4, they're free after all. Maybe I'll even use them for my more sweaty handed friends.

If PS3 indeed failed to pass Wii, they pretty much missed their chance this year. I do think that the Ceramic White will do better things for PS3 sales than the price drop (as opposed to Europe, but we didn't get no Ceramic White and don't care that much about colour revisions). But with SMG just being released at the time of the 40G launch and WiiFit release imminent right after I don't see PS3 beating Wii that week, even with DW5.

AnimeTheme said:
I don't have evidence to the contrary... but wow that the inclusion of a wiimote jacket that you can even request free from Nintendo would lead to thousands of extra sales.
plagiarize said:
that drop last week was because people knew the price drop was coming. this weeks sales are the range it had been getting before news of the price drop came out. it's not really fair to compare the sales of the system after news of the price drop was out, but before the price drop to justify that there's been an increase in sales as a result of the price drop.
True. To make an analogy, it's like PS3 sales took a deep breath, but then didn't exhale any more powerfully than normal.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Maybe Wii jumped because of the new Wii Sports ads Sporsk mentioned. Seeing HW sales and Wii Sports entering top10 again....
I agree with this, good advertisement can do a lot for products. I also believe that people are getting Wii's now for future releases such as Zack and Wiki, but more so for SMG. I know that's not how things usually work but seeing the Wii sold out for around 10 months people would get the idea that it will be sold out pretty soon, so I gotta go buy it.

Jokeropia

AnimeTheme said:
Well yeah I guess it's possible but you'd expect a price drop to give a bigger bump than bundled (and otherwise freely orderable) controller condoms. :lol

Top Bottom