• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/10 - 11/16

Doctor_No

Been playing Way of the Samurai 3 (侍道 3) for a week. Graphically its a PS2 game, and unfortunately not much progress has been made since the second iteration, it also fails to capture the magic of the first.

I think word of mouth will kill any future sales because its not that compelling.

RpgN

CT is selling mighty well, nice!

AC Wii is selling okay, and great if it can keep those legs from previous wii games.

Last Remnant is doing just as expected and about 9k more than IU's first day. Of course that's if we don't count the bundles. 100K+ is a high possibility.

That gundam game is doing really well too.

jesusraz

41.) Tales of the Abyss (BEST) (PS2, Namco Bandai)

I'm quite surprised to see this lingering around the chart still...Thought it would have disappeared after its first week. Clearly there's still demand for the game, so you have to wonder if BanNam should consider something like a quick and dirty port to Wii to milk it even more!

onipex

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Music tanking critically. Impact: A game that was supposed to be lynchpin / high top tier looks to be destined to a fairly middle tier existence. Slightly topping Mario Baseball in the Japan and being exactly equal to it in first months sales in the US. This probably is the first large misstep in a few years, yeah.

So wait no matter how many times someone from Nintendo states that Wii Music is/was expected to be a very slow selling evergreen title people are still going to say it failed already. So nothing was learned from the other Nintendo games that continued to sell below the radar and considered to be not worth playing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
onipex said:
So wait no matter how many times someone from Nintendo states that Wii Music is/was expected to be a very slow selling evergreen title people are still going to say it failed already. So nothing was learned from the other Nintendo games that continued to sell below the radar and considered to be not worth playing.

*sigh*

Evergreen is not when you ship 300k week one and you haven't sold 200k after week five or six. Evergreen is when you ship small consistent amounts for a long time and sales continue without the price dropping. Maybe it will have legs like Nintendo expects, but Nintendo ALSO expected a large launch and they didn't get it.

If you want to make the asinine argument that Nintendo purposefully overshipped upfront (no one would do this--inventory turnover is a VERY important metric and retailers sour very quickly at the thought of tons of inventory sitting on the shelf or in the warehouse), then why have all previous successful long-leg titles had sensible and realistic shipments? In fact, the last long-leg title that was overshipped was Common Sense Knowledge TV, which didn't get a second shipment and is generally considered as something less than a success.

Furthermore, it's pretty stupid to get into the habit of saying that all titles that are said to be "longterm sellers" will be. My game launches and bombs? Oh, don't worry, it'll be a longterm seller. Well, it hasn't demonstrated any of the qualities of a longterm seller yet.

RpgN

onipex said:

Wii music, doesn't seem to have decent sales and stayed in the top 30 for the lack of new games that have a following. The sales are getting smaller and smaller each week. Furthermore, nintendo sended too many shipments and it got a pricedrop because of it. It's certainly not performing like past wii titles.

Holiday time can still save it if it gets a decent amount word of mouth.

onipex said:

I think Stumpokapow is being pretty fair here.

Wii Music started low and it seems that the best-case scenario now is that it will get a holiday bump and cruise along in the 10-15k range for a while longer. Maybe it will exhibit the legs of something like Wii Fit or Wii Sports, but even if it does it’s unlikely it will see a massive, sustained increase in weekly sales as well, so the lifetime sales are likely to stay low (and a lot lower than other titles in the Wii …. range), even if it hovers in the charts from now until next year.

From sinobi (heavily rounded):
[PSP] Prinny: Ore ga Shujinkou de Iinsuka? (Nippon Ichi) - 10k
[PS2] Koihime Musou (Yeti) - 10k
[PSP] Secret Agent Clank (SCE) - 5k

Not too hot for Prinny :/

Laguna

Banned
Wow @ all Sony published games
And the PSP is the definite Gundam portable so far.

Chrono Trigger sales -> Chrono Cross DS?

test_account

XP-39C²
Captain Smoker said:
Code:
11/10 - 11/16	 575.243    101.585    186.761    77.587     95.082     30.068       UPDATE
If you take the leaked Famitsu numbers (that is found in this post) and add the numbers for each system together and compare them to the Dengeki total software for the same week, you will get this:

Code:
DS = 416,020 ([B]159,223[/B] copies extra)

Wii = 57,670 ([B]43,915[/B] copies extra)

PS3 = 177,420 ([B]9,341[/B] copies extra)

PS2 = 5,700 ([B]71,887[/B] copies extra)

PSP = 35,900 ([B]59,182[/B] copies extra)

Xbox 360 = 8,800 ([B]21,268[/B] copies extra)

With "copies extra" i mean, if you the leaked Famitsu numbers and add up all the DS numbers in that chart, and then you will get 416,020. The Dengeki total software for the same week says that 575,243 copies of games were sold. 575,243 - 416,020 = 159,223, which means that 159,223 extra copies were sold that was not in the leaked Famitsu Top 30 list (+ the other Famitsu numbers of some games that arent in the Top 30, check the post i linked to above here to see which games i am refering to). Did that make any sense? :) Hopefully i have calculated right, but please feel free to double check the numbers just in case i did some misscalculations :)

I dont think Famitsu and Dengeki are the same tracker though, so in that case these numbers will be from 2 different trackers, but i just did it for fun :)

Spiegel

Laguna said:
Wow @ all Sony published games
And the PSP is the definite Gundam portable so far.

Chrono Trigger sales -> Chrono Cross DS?

I don't know, I'd say Chrono Trigger sales -> Chrono Cross PSP. I'm expecting Chrono Cross or Vagrant Story psp in 2009.

(and I'll be disappointed)

There are 0 psx games ported to ds, on the other hand PSP has had Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
test_account, that's good work.

I remember proposing a similar thing to donny last year. I think we worked out that the ratio between top 50 and all sales for the week was that roughly 90% of all sales are in the top 50.

RpgN

Spiegel said:
I don't know, I'd say Chrono Trigger sales -> Chrono Cross PSP. I'm expecting Chrono Cross or Vagrant Story psp in 2009.

(and I'll be disappointed)

There are 0 psx games ported to ds, on the other hand PSP has had Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics

Isn't that natural though? The ps audience gets ps1 ports and the nintendo audience get the super nindendo and nintendo ports/remakes? There is an exception here and there.

Spiegel said:
There are 0 psx games ported to ds, on the other hand PSP has had Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Dragon Quest IV DS? Maybe not a direct port, but clearly based off of the PS1 game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:

Well, sort of.

The PSP also has quite a lot more than those three (quite a lot more), but the DS has a few as well. RE1, DQIV, and Rhapsody... as well as CT, for what it's worth.

RpgN said:
But that one did get on the super nintendo first, no?

NES/Famicom -> PS1 (full remake) -> DS (port with tweaks)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wonder if Wii hardware will finally start to rise with AC's release.

Wii Music isn't pulling up. No one cares about it. The stores are flush with stock. The used shops have it like it's going out of style. Nintendo isn't even advertising it on TV anymore, and they're still advertising Rhythm Tengoku Gold.

This isn't like the other long-tailed games Nintendo's done. This is a disaster, particularly from a retailer's perspective.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Wii Music isn't pulling up. No one cares about it. The stores are flush with stock. The used shops have it like it's going out of style. Nintendo isn't even advertising it on TV anymore, and they're still advertising Rhythm Tengoku Gold.

This isn't like the other long-tailed games Nintendo's done. This is a disaster, particularly from a retailer's perspective.

what do you know about japan

Segata Sanshiro said:

Maybe Nintendo will get lucky and Wii Music will run out of gas before it hits the ground.

RpgN

Stumpokapow said:
NES/Famicom -> PS1 (full remake) -> DS (port with tweaks)

Yeah, thanks. I corrected my previous reply :p

-MB- said:
PSP got FFI andII and lso Star Ocean 1, all released on Nintendo systems before.

FFI and II were released pretty much everywhere, if I think about it. Only Star Ocean 1 might be indeed weird. But maybe it's because SO3 sold so well on the ps2 (=there is audience) and they wanted to release SO2 on the psp too. It's a win situation.

schuelma said:
I think this is a safe bet. I was going to make a statement like "This will be the biggest Wii first week since" and list a title, so I decided to look at all the Wii games released since mid-year. The top among those is only around 200K lifetime. Since Animal Crossing will best that on week one, it's definitely the biggest thing Wii has seen in months.

Looking back further to follow my original intent, it will be the biggest first week since Mario Kart's 608K in April.

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Well, sort of.

The PSP also has quite a lot more than those three (quite a lot more), but the DS has a few as well. RE1, DQIV, and Rhapsody... as well as CT, for what it's worth.

I was talking about S-E games but you're right with DQIV (although it's a Enix game and they seem even more ds focused).

Anyway, I am expecting CC on PSP because it would be easier to port (two cds and pretty graphics even for psp).

donny2112

lherre said:
You forget ps2 version ... that was better than ps3-x360 version

No PS2 version this year.

Stumpokapow said:
I remember proposing a similar thing to donny last year. I think we worked out that the ratio between top 50 and all sales for the week was that roughly 90% of all sales are in the top 50.

I believe that Rock_Man said that summing up the Top 100 weekly MC number had been done before, and it was around that percentage for sales compared to the overall year. I don't remember the exact number, though.

Spiegel said:
There are 0 psx games ported to ds,

That's very incorrect, but I don't have my database in front of me at the moment to provide examples.

Edit:
Spiegel said:
I was talking about S-E games

Ah. As said, there's DQIV, but Enix has consistently shown that they're the smarter side of the company, anyways.

schuelma said:

I think Nintendo is in for a rough holiday season with the Wii. They brought it on themselves by pushing Wii Motion+ (and the games that I'm sure they delayed to take advantage of the peripheral) until the Spring, though.

Is PSP Prinny a Disgaea spinoff?

RpgN

Spiegel said:
I was talking about S-E games but you're right with DQIV (although it's a Enix game and they seem even more ds focused).

Anyway, I am expecting CC on PSP because it would be easier to port (two cds and pretty graphics even for psp).

That's why I mentioned it being released on a previous nintendo console first. Even though they're using assets from the ps1 version. It seems they're releasing ports to the handheld with the same audience from previous consoles.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
I think Nintendo is in for a rough holiday season with the Wii. They brought it on themselves by pushing Wii Motion+ (and the games that I'm sure they delayed to take advantage of the peripheral) until the Spring, though.

I suspect they'll do ok, but definitely less than last year when Wii Fit had just been released.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
whatchu want to know?

$50, i tell you whatev you want.

Good honeymoon ideas (I'm serious on this one)

schuelma said:
Good honeymoon ideas (I'm serious on this one)
/unfolds maps

Where's your general area of residence, and how much were you looking to spend?

Oh shit, and what time of the year would you be doing it? That's very important.

jakncoke said:
Anyone have a link to the site that ranks weekly hardware numbers from best to worst
I think you mean this. It has a nasty habit of not wanting to finish a page--probably something to do with me throwing a bunch of SQL queries at it and doing something inefficiently--but just refresh if necessary. At the bottom it will link to the various systems.

jakncoke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I think you mean this. It has a nasty habit of not wanting to finish a page--probably something to do with me throwing a bunch of SQL queries at it and doing something inefficiently--but just refresh if necessary. At the bottom it will link to the various systems.

yup tks a bunch.

donny2112

RpgN said:
That's why I mentioned it being released on a previous nintendo console first. Even though they're using assets from the ps1 version. It seems they're releasing ports to the handheld with the same audience from previous consoles.

Could it be something more practical?

DS >= N64 > PSX, but PS2 > PSP >>> PSX.

Maybe they want to do upgrades instead of ~ straight ports, so the only way to do that from the PSX in the handheld space is the PSP. SNES ports can be greatly upgraded to the DS, but PSX ports have to be fairly comparable.

Just a thought.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
US PSX/PS2->DS ports
Chrono Trigger
Disgaea DS (PS2)
DQIV
Flower, Sun, and Rain (PS2)
Front Mission (SNES->Wonderswan->PS1->DS)
Hoshigami
Myst (PC, Saturn, PSX, every other damn console in the world)
Rayman DS (N64, PSX, PS2, DC, etc)
Resident Evil
Rhapsody
Theme Park (PC, 3DO, PSX)

I only included ports, not remakes or new installments or stuff like Space Invaders where there are 2349837932934 different games called Space Invaders and the DS has 2.

So, yeah, there's not a whole lot of them but there's at least a handful.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
--probably something to do with me throwing a bunch of SQL queries at it and doing something inefficiently--

Code:
select week, units
  from MC_HardwareWeekly
 where upper(system) = 'WII'
 order by units desc

I guess you're probably doing something more complex, though.

Edit:
Stumpokapow said:

I think that most recent Akagawa mystery game is a port of a PS2 game, as well.

Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Tsuki no Hikari: Shizumeru Kane no Satsujin is the full name of the DS game.

RpgN

Stumpokapow said:
US PSX/PS2->DS ports
Chrono Trigger
Disgaea DS (PS2)
DQIV
Flower, Sun, and Rain (PS2)
Front Mission (SNES->Wonderswan->PS1->DS)
Hoshigami
Myst (PC, Saturn, PSX, every other damn console in the world)
Rayman DS (N64, PSX, PS2, DC, etc)
Resident Evil
Rhapsody
Theme Park (PC, 3DO, PSX)

I only included ports, not remakes or new installments or stuff like Space Invaders where there are 2349837932934 different games called Space Invaders and the DS has 2.

I myself talked about SE's Philosophy, dear ;) Perhaps other companies think otherwise?

And Front Mission is just like DQIV, released on nintendo consoles first.

donny2112 said:

Maybe they want to do upgrades instead of ~ straight ports, so the only way to do that from the PSX in the handheld space is the PSP. SNES ports can be greatly upgraded to the DS, but PSX ports have to be fairly comparable.

Just a thought.

Yes, that's another way to look into it. It certainly sounds right too.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:

Just a thought.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hey folks, I always lurk in these threads each week but hardly ever post. However, there's something that I've been wondering about since all these 360 rpg's started dropping:

For a game like The Last Remnant, is it considered a success (i.e. - a money-maker) by selling over 100k copies? I have no idea what the developer/publisher take on game sales in Japan are, and obviously every game's budget is different, but this seems to be the magic "Woot! It is a good seller!" point that you guys use.

Just curious.

RpgN

Diseased Yak said:
Hey folks, I always lurk in these threads each week but hardly ever post. However, there's something that I've been wondering about since all these 360 rpg's started dropping:

For a game like The Last Remnant, is it considered a success (i.e. - a money-maker) by selling over 100k copies? I have no idea what the developer/publisher take on game sales in Japan are, and obviously every game's budget is different, but this seems to be the magic "Woot! It is a good seller!" point that you guys use.

Just curious.

100k+ for xbox 360 games is considered a huge success. But when you look at it financially and what the publishers want (=SE for instance probably expects a lot from the Last Remnant), it is a disappointment. You can't expect more from an xbox 360 exclusive though, SE must have been aware of that too. They're probably hoping the western market to make the Last Remnant a success.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 205 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 152.5 weeks (January 29, 2003), where DS was at 91.5 weeks (August 30, 2006), and where GBA was at 136.3 weeks (October 28, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 153 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 14.9 weeks (December 23, 2001), where PS3 was at 18.5 weeks (March 15, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.0 weeks (December 24, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 105 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 23.2 weeks (August 7, 2000), where PSP was at 54.2 weeks (December 20, 2005), where GCN was at 106.0 weeks (September 21, 2003), and where Wii was at 25.2 weeks (May 22, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 102 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 90.7 weeks (December 13, 2002), where DS was at 71.0 weeks (April 9, 2006), where PS2 was at 100.2 weeks (January 28, 2002), and where PSP was at 155.8 weeks (December 1, 2007).

DSi comparisons: After 2 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 3.0 weeks (March 2, 2003), where GBM was at 4.5 weeks (October 13, 2005), and where DSL was at 3.1 weeks (March 19, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 70.0 / 30.0 bring total shares to 69.0 / 31.0. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 347.7 weeks (July 18, 2015).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 31.4 / 68.6 bring total shares to 23.8 / 76.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 208.7 weeks (November 16, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 39.4 / 60.6 bring total shares to 25.8 / 74.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 261.3 weeks (November 19, 2013).

Week over week, there's again no overall trend. DS coming down from the DSi bump is again the most noticeable thing.
X360

DS passes 24 million.
mc

Should've noticed this two weeks ago, but PSP has already topped its previous best yearly total.

This is also true for X360 as of this week.

Software stuff later. Maybe tomorrow.

donny2112 said:
I guess you're probably doing something more complex, though.
What you put is almost exactly what I've got. I guess this is one problem that I can't explain; getting two lists of numbers and putting them in side-by-side tables is a lot simpler than most of the other pages.

Hard to say if SE even wants to bother with a new version of CC. It's got considerably less cachet but involves almost all of the same royalty payments. It took them this long to decide CT was worth the headache, and CT is... CT.

RpgN

Weisheit said:
Does not compute...

Well, what would you not compute with?

Most xbox 360 games sell 130k at most (besides Blue Dragon and maybe LO?), considering 700k hardware is sold, that's not bad at all. But it's not enough for publishers.

Did I say something wrong?

Link

The Autumn Wind
donny2112 said:
They were probably counting on having stronger third party support by this point. In hindsight, it was a fairly stupid assumption.

Top Bottom