• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales 11/20-11/26

neo2046 said:
Elebits - 5,791

I feel really sorry for Konami, here. They created an original IP utilizing the wiimote fully in a Nintendo-friendly quirky way... and they get thanked with mediocre sales. I really hope that they can pick up a little more over the week, or that it at least becomes a sleeper hit in the US, so that Konami will continue to support the Wii with new games.

Mar

splattergnome said:
I feel really sorry for Konami, here. They created an original IP utilizing the wiimote fully in a Nintendo-friendly quirky way... and they get thanked with mediocre sales. I really hope that they can pick up a little more over the week, or that it at least becomes a sleeper hit in the US, so that Konami will continue to support the Wii with new games.

There's a long way to go yet.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a third party title selling poorly in 2 days. After all, most people will buy 1 or 2 games with their brand new system, and those 1 or 2 will be the most popular. It will be a few days or weeks later when they've played their new games to death that they'll go out and spend more money.

I know for me at least, I'm buying 2 games with my Wii, the others can wait until my credit card recovers.

Martoo said:
There's a long way to go yet.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a third party title selling poorly in 2 days. After all, most people will buy 1 or 2 games with their brand new system, and those 1 or 2 will be the most popular. It will be a few days or weeks later when they've played their new games to death that they'll go out and spend more money.

I know for me at least, I'm buying 2 games with my Wii, the others can wait until my credit card recovers.

I wouldn't be worried, except for the fact that these are Japan sales, in a country with very front-loaded game sales. In a few weeks, the next big thing will attract the people's dollars
yen
. I doubt that Elebits will have magical DS game staying power - although I would be pleased to see it.

enishi

From Famitsu chart and Sinobi:

1. Tales of Destiny (PS2) - 250k/NEW
2. Wii Sports (Wii) - 170k/NEW
3. Wii Play (Wii) - 170k/NEW
4. The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess (Wii) - 140k/NEW
5. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) - 140k/NEW
6. Summon Night 4 (PS2)
7. Pokeman Pearl/Diamond (NDS)
8. Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS)
9. Love and Berry DS (NDS) - 70k/500k
10. Made in Wario: Smooth Move (Wii)

Hardware:
Wii - 370k
NDSL - 180k (note that the shortage finally ended because of Wii)
2 consoles combine to have 85% of hardware number this week

PS2 + PS3 + PSP = 12% (~78k total)

Xristot

I think Nintendo of america did a great job in not stacking the heavy hitters too much against the third parties. They only had zelda and excite truck, and by bundling wii sports, it allowed people to pick up another game.

Japan just had too many top notch 1st party titles. Zelda, wii sports, wii play AND warioware. I think the third party games in japan should continue to sell as more consoles are sold and the people who picked up zelda finish that game up.

ziran

enishi said:

6. Summon Night 4 (PS2)

Hardware:
Wii - 370k

wow! how many weeks has it been, in fact, hasn't it been nearly a year?

180k for ds is amazing considering wii launched. overall a really great week for nintendo.

SuomiDude

enishi said:
Hardware:
Wii - 370k
NDSL - 180k
So Wii didn't really affect DS sales at all...? Though it could be that there wasn't enough Wii's, so people bought DS instead, but I think that's very unlikely.

I had just wondered if Wii will eat DS sales at all.

enishi said:
Hardware:
Wii - 370k

Hmmm, so I guess that leaves 3% for Xbox360 (and gameboy advance)

3% would be about 19k

....I know I'm reading way too much into these rough percentages :D

Bo130

Pope Benedict XVI said:

3% would be about 19k

And GameCube, XBox, DS Phat, Game Boy SP + Micro.

cvxfreak

Unless FFVI boosted SP and micro sales, 360 might've surpassed 10K this week. If so, that's good leading up to Blue Dragon.

Scotch

Pope Benedict XVI said:

3% would be about 19k

You know I was calculating the same thing. :lol Taking last week's sales in consideration, 360 would be about 70% of those sales, so 13k.

But yeah those percentages are probably pretty rough.

Scotch

Bo130 said:
I would like for the 360 to pass 10k at least for one week in Japan. It really deserves it.
That's bound to happen next week anyway. It would be funny though if 360 could keep ahead of PS3 for another week.

apotema

I would love to see 360 flop in Japan even worse than before, I hope for below 1000 units sold coming 2007

Jiggy

enishi said:

6. Summon Night 4 (PS2)

Hardware:
Wii - 370k

Looks like the end of DS domination, and I'm sad. :( Hopefully it'll make a comeback after this temporary Wii post-launch frenzy and all will be right with the world again.

...Unless the VC does really well in Japan. Then I'd say Wii can stay on top ad infinitum, but we don't exactly have sales data for that. Wonder if it's forthcoming at any point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chris Michael said:
*looks at avatar*

this guy is from IGN. :lol

lol

i hope 360 sells so bad that they have to bury them in africa to get rid of them lol

apotema

Sorry, I overreacted, Blue Dragon deserves lots of sales, but not the 360.

I would love to see it ported to PS3, although that is impossible, Is Blue Dragon a Microsoft funded project?

Jiggy37 said:
Looks like the end of DS domination, and I'm sad. :( Hopefully it'll make a comeback after this temporary Wii post-launch frenzy and all will be right with the world again.

...Unless the VC does really well in Japan. Then I'd say Wii can stay on top ad infinitum, but we don't exactly have sales data for that. Wonder if it's forthcoming at any point.

The end of what exactly? It's Wii's launch week, those numbers are to be expected. The next few weeks should tell most of the story

Razoric

Banned
apotema said:

I would love to see it ported to PS3, although that is impossible, Is Blue Dragon a Microsoft funded project?

What's wrong with 360?

enishi said:

6. Summon Night 4 (PS2)

Hardware:
Wii - 370k

Oh man.....Nintendo's domination is approaching stratosferics levels.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo essential sold ~600k in hardware this week.

I wonder what the weekly sales are going to look like after the Christmas period. Can DSL really keep selling 100k+ every week? Can Wii even come close to the DSL's weekly sales throughout the year? What impact will the PS3 have on Nintendo's dominance?

when does Blue Dragon come out in Japan anyways? if it's soon, things could get interesting as the Japanese starve from a lack of RPGs on the Wii and PS3...

ZeoVGM

Banned
apotema said:

You realize, you're only making yourself look even more dumb.

VultureDude said:
when does Blue Dragon come out in Japan anyways? if it's soon, things could get interesting as the Japanese starve from a lack of RPGs on the Wii and PS3...

Its release date is the 7th I think.

Sales should be very interesting. Does anyone know roughly when the ps3 should get its first RPG (not including enchant arms)?

Unison

Xristot said:
I think Nintendo of america did a great job in not stacking the heavy hitters too much against the third parties. They only had zelda and excite truck, and by bundling wii sports, it allowed people to pick up another game.

Japan just had too many top notch 1st party titles. Zelda, wii sports, wii play AND warioware. I think the third party games in japan should continue to sell as more consoles are sold and the people who picked up zelda finish that game up.

Yeah... the situation would have been ugly if Nintendo had gotten WarioWare / Metroid / Mario Galaxy out for US launch. 3rd parties would have been destroyed. :lol

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Its release date is the 7th I think.

Sales should be very interesting. Does anyone know roughly when the ps3 should get its first RPG (not including enchant arms)?

First rpg or first system seller?

Xeke

Banned
Unison said:
Yeah... the situation would have been ugly if Nintendo had gotten WarioWare / Metroid / Mario Galaxy out for US launch. 3rd parties would have been destroyed. :lol

Not to mention how the games would cannibalize each other.

Oblivion said:
No Blue Dragon sales?

Check here:
ALMANAC-2T.jpg

dyls

Xristot said:

NOA definitely did a better job leaving room for third-parties than NOJ, both at retail and on the VC. I'm sure Wii Play (and probably Wario Ware) could have been ready for launch, or at least a December release, but holding them back gave games like Trauma Center, Elebits, and Rayman a fighting chance.

Not to mention VC. The Japanese lineup is loaded with first-party classics, which means Sega and Hudson will feel the brunt. Not in NA, however. I probably wouldn't have bought Ristar or Solomon's Key if games like SMW, FE, LOZ:LA, etc. were available, but I'm glad I did.

It's funny. Everyone at GAF ssems to agree that Nintendo needs to really court third-parties, yet when NOA does exactly that, everyone bitches about not getting all the great first-party content that Japan is getting.

Xristot

dyls said:
NOA definitely did a better job leaving room for third-parties than NOJ, both at retail and on the VC. I'm sure Wii Play (and probably Wario Ware) could have been ready for launch, or at least a December release, but holding them back gave games like Trauma Center, Elebits, and Rayman a fighting chance.

Not to mention VC. The Japanese lineup is loaded with first-party classics, which means Sega and Hudson will feel the brunt. Not in NA, however. I probably wouldn't have bought Ristar or Solomon's Key if games like SMW, FE, LOZ:LA, etc. were available, but I'm glad I did.

It's funny. Everyone at GAF ssems to agree that Nintendo needs to really court third-parties, yet when NOA does exactly that, everyone bitches about not getting all the great first-party content that Japan is getting.

QFT.

I just hope we see those third party games do better in the coming weeks. Especially ones like trauma center, SD gundam, kororinpa and hell, even wing island. They deserve a bit more. Hopefully they get released in NA so they have a chance at selling well. The NA lineup is full of holes for these games to come in and do well in.

Top Bottom