• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

wsippel

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The only discussion point here is if it would have been wiser to release Basara 2 Heroes alone rather than in a Double Pack with the main game. Being an expansion to Basara 2 and being on a platform which didn't have any Basara titles before, I think the best choice would have been releasing both (Double Pack and Heroes alone) but I can see why Capcom tried this to lure new userbase to the franchise. Considering the numbers it moved, I'm not so sure about a multiple SKU strategy would have worked much better.
It's still a 1:1 port of a PS2 game. It's not even 480p - there are no improvements at all. To be honest, even though I'm interested in SB and never played SB2, I wouldn't buy it, either. I wouldn't buy either SKU, of course - but if I had played SB2, I would get the PS2 version. Otherwise, I'll just wait for SB3. Capcom simply did nothing to either lure new customers or convince their old fanbase to get the Wii version instead.

Stumpokapow said:
So you don't think that the price difference has ANYTHING to do with people not buying into the Wii version at all?
So you think having just the expansion for the same price as the PS2 version would have done MUCH better on the Wii?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So you think having just the expansion for the same price as the PS2 version would have done MUCH better on the Wii?

I'm not sure about that, although I'd venture a guess that it'd improve the numbers a little bit for the simple fact that 7000+ yen is a lot less accessible than 5000+ yen.

What I actually proposed was making the Wii version the double pack and selling it for the same price as the PS2 version--or at least closer in price (IE actually adding some value to the Wii version).

spwolf said:
how simple minded one has to be not to realize that I was talking about revenue lost, and not actual units sold?

If we're talking pure revenue, then Japan isn't going to tilt the balance on whether this game is a financial success or not.

Like I said, the bulk of the sales will come from the West. Japanese sales of AC are relatively minor - to the point where they won't have to agonize over market reactions based on which version is releasing first.

RBH

Quick question:

What would be considered a "good" sales number for Lost Odyssey in next week's charts?

Rocksteady33

RBH said:
Quick question:

What would be considered a "good" sales number for Lost Odyssey in next week's charts?

Not sure how many days it has in the charts, but anywhere from 60,000+ would probably be good. I'm still stunned that Assassin's Creed managed close to 45,000, so who knows what could happen.

RBH said:
Quick question:

Blue Dragon did about 80,000. In its advantage, Lost Odyssey should have a much larger userbase to sell to than BD did. In its disadvantage, I don't believe there's a special console pack-in as an extra draw.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
.The only discussion point here is if it would have been wiser to release Basara 2 Heroes alone rather than in a Double Pack with the main game. Being an expansion to Basara 2 and being on a platform which didn't have any Basara titles before, I think the best choice would have been releasing both (Double Pack and Heroes alone) but I can see why Capcom tried this to lure new userbase to the franchise. Considering the numbers it moved, I'm not so sure about a multiple SKU strategy would have worked much better.
Agreed. The only real route I'd see for driving the Wii sales would've been a short exclusivity window or something, though that might've nerfed total (PS2+Wii) sales in the end too.

I dunno... maybe it'd have been better to start with Basara 3 and just move the franchise whole hog (a la Monster Hunter)?

linsivvi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

How about the expansion only has story mode for the new characters (around 5)?

Might as well just release the original on the Wii at a budget price.

jarrod

Banned
spwolf said:
how simple minded one has to be not to realize that I was talking about revenue lost, and not actual units sold?
Given Oblivion's roadmap, I don't think it matters either way. The game will still put up okay PS3 numbers when it launches and honestly, I doubt an earlier PS3 releases would've really added much to total sales (360+PS3) given the nature and market of the title.

Who knows though, maybe MGSJ paid for the window? They might've lost more "revenue" by doing day and date multiplatform even? :lol

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Blue Dragon did about 80,000. In its advantage, Lost Odyssey should have a much larger userbase to sell to than BD did. In its disadvantage, I don't believe there's a special console pack-in as an extra draw.

Didnt a lot of people return their 360s after BD? Will it happen again with this title?

tanod

when is my burrito
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm expecting nothing less than 80k, so I'd say "good" would be if it broke the 100k barrier.

Agree. Anything significantly less than 80,000 would be a disappointment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Deku said:
Didnt a lot of people return their 360s after BD? Will it happen again with this title?

Since we can't track used purchases, we need to operate on the assumption that a 360 sold means a 360 owner. Certainly many of them were returned/traded back--but how many of those were sold as used? Probably most of them.

toypop

RBH said:
Quick question:

Depends on how much MSKK shipped, over 60% of whole first shipments would be nice.
So my estimations number goes to 70k from 100k shipments will be "good" for them.
But I don't feel such a buzz or hype about LO among 360 gamers here in Japan.
LO can expect much larger install base compared to BlueDragon, but BD has cheap bundle for boosting its sales, so numbers are unpredictable for me right now.
Btw, VF5's online gathers good impressions.(even its poor matching system)

About AC on 360.
Kudos to UBI for their fast translation and release, we can wait every domestic release if they could keep such a short lag.
Most of my friends on live pullbacked their "usual" buying of import/asian versions this time.

Some rants about CoD4 on JP 360.
Activision announced domestic CoD4 release in 28th Nov, and accepting preorders from retailers were closed in 6th Dec.(this is really short term)
Those who interested in CoD4 already bought their imported/asian copies, and slipped into Japanese live charts even without official release.
http://xbox.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!378FEC038C02D52C!6555.entry

Some bloggers working at import shop reported last month that Activison raised price of those imported CoD4 copies 10~12 bucks higher.
http://gsotencho.blog120.fc2.com/blog-date-20071110.html

It's too late Activison, don't blame us "if" CoD4 sale will be bombed SO hard. :D

All pretty much in-line with the leaked Famitsu data.

I do wonder though with all this heated discussion about SB, do we have a link to the story that Capcom wants (wanted) the series to move to Wii and that the PS2 version is the port?

It doesn't really make sense to me seeing that there are no graphical enhancements over the PS2 version and it doesn't even support 480p. Ethel also hit the nail on the head. The existing fanbase wouldn't "jump ship" over this version since they already have the original SB and the Wii Heroes doesn't add anything over the PS2 version if I'm not mistaking.

I always thought this was an attempt to expand the fanbase to Wii owners who haven't yet experienced SB. Don't know how many new fans Capcom expected to attract but not charting in the Top 30 doesn't paint a rosy picture for the growth of the franchise.

botticus

jarrod said:
Agreed. The only real route I'd see for driving the Wii sales would've been a short exclusivity window or something, though that might've nerfed total (PS2+Wii) sales in the end too.

I dunno... maybe it'd have been better to start with Basara 3 and just move the franchise whole hog (a la Monster Hunter)?
That would be the most logical decision if that's their goal.

The asian versions of 360/PS3 games must be having an effect on overall sales. Asian region free versions are all over ebay in the UK, so I'd guess the numbers entering Japan would be significant too. Not tracked by anyone of course, except the publishers maybe

ziran

Wii Fit keeps going in and out of stock at Amazon Japan (where it sits at the top of the charts), but it's not long before it's restocked. This could be a good sign for stocks at most retailers, Nintendo may have their act together and have the game in good supply.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has next week.

Neomoto

Wow at Layton outperforming WiiFit (not too shocking considering the situation but still). Great numbers for Layton, WiiFit and Dragon Quest IV. 3rd party's are doing really great on the DS.

Lobster

Banned
TunaLover said:
My point is that Capcom doesn't give to Wii time exclusiveness, which kill the sales (of Wii version), furthermore kill the posibility of getting more money from a more expensive-premium version.

I can't believe it..I was saying the exact same thing in the other thread and I was stupid for doing so..

Thankyou, finally someone on GAF also gets the point of timed exclusives!

Grecco

orio7 said:
Pretty stupid of Ubi to not release the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed the same day as the 360 version. Just look at how much more the PS3 versions of multiplatform games have been selling in Japan lately.

Again. Its a WESTERN type game. Those dont do so hot on the PS3 in Japan. Ubisoft will look at those awesome sales like Rachet, or the upcoming Uncharted and bash themselves for being so stupid!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ziran said:
Wii Fit keeps going in and out of stock at Amazon Japan (where it sits at the top of the charts), but it's not long before it's restocked. This could be a good sign for stocks at most retailers, Nintendo may have their act together and have the game in good supply.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has next week.

Interested to hear Vinnk's report tonight. If there was a re-stock I bet its over 100K.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Another PSP release, another success. I hope to see some news from Nipponichi soon, although getting another PS2 port looks likely.
Another success? What's been successful after Disgaea? Did I miss something?

jj984jj said:
Another success? What's been successful after Disgaea? Did I miss something?
Disgaea is a budget re-release of the game (which was released last year). Considering it did 21k first week and 34k LTD, seeing this budget priced re-release (with ad-hoc like US Disgaea) sell 17k and nearly selling out its shipment (see sinobi) is definitely a success for Nipponichi.

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, I meant Disgaea yeah. Nevermind the first paragraph lol
Disgaea was the only PSP game released last week anyway...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Disgaea is a budget re-release of the game (which was released last year). Considering it did 21k first week and 34k LTD, seeing this budget priced re-release (with ad-hoc like US Disgaea) sell 17k and nearly selling out its shipment (see sinobi) is definitely a success for Nipponichi.

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, I meant Disgaea yeah. Nevermind the first paragraph lol
Disgaea was the only PSP game released last week anyway...

Well now that you put it into perspective I guess that is a little better, but the first release of the game actually did bomb. Don't the main-line Disgaea games sell over 100k on their first week, and then drop like a rock?

Stopsign said:
Well now that you put it into perspective I guess that is a little better, but the first release of the game actually did bomb. Don't the main-line Disgaea games sell over 100k on their first week, and then drop like a rock?
Yeah, I expected more of the original release (its kind of ironic to say this when its a port lol), I guess Nipponichi too since they didn't bring anything else but instead chose to re-release it at budget price with the extras they made for the US release. I should mention that this Disgaea budget re-release isn't a Sony 'The Best!' line though. I think we could see something else coming from them, I guess another PS2 port would be quite likely considering the risk and the sales they get. I just hope they don't go crazy and bring their entire PS2 lineup in small doses at full price ^^u

Numbers galore, so we get a glimpse on Disgaea before Disgaea 3 for PS3 too.
Code:
Makai Senki Disgaea  			03.01.30  	PS2  	46,883  23,043  14,712  [B]124,316[/B] 37.71 %
Makai Senki Disgaea 2 			06.02.23 	PS2 	97,456 	20,523 	9,129 	[B]150,428[/B] 64.79 %
Makai Senki Disgaea Portable		06.11.22 	PSP 	21,712 	- 	- 	[B]38,080[/B] 	57.02 %
MSDP Tsuushin Taisen Hajime Mashita  	07.11.29 	PSP 	~17,000
Makai Senki Disgaea 3 			08.01.31 	PS3
I don't have other Nipponichi titles numbers at hand, but I'm sure they are lower than D1-D2, ~100k must be the N1 fanbase or so.

EDIT: Looking a little...
Phantom Brave - 148,295
Phantom Kingdom - 116,672

cvxfreak

While I do think people should question the results of Sengoku Basara 2 on Wii, I think people are making far too big a deal out of it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
cvxfreak said:
While I do think people should question the results of Sengoku Basara 2 on Wii, I think people are making far too big a deal out of it.

Well done, you just killed the conversation! Now what're we going to talk about?

Farmboy

ethelred said:
drohne: Layton is half animation-inspired Phoenix Wright, half brain puzzles. It's not your thing. Also, it's Japanese.

I was thinking about which other games are a good comparison, and two older Western titles seem to fit the bill: Sierra's Dr. Brain series came to mind, as did 7th Guest. Neither qualifies as a point-and-click adventure game and in my mind neither does Layton, although to be fair its storyline does feature a bit more prominently (still, learning more about the 'mystery' was your primary motivation in 7th Guest as well).

spwolf

Grecco said:
Again. Its a WESTERN type game. Those dont do so hot on the PS3 in Japan. Ubisoft will look at those awesome sales like Rachet, or the upcoming Uncharted and bash themselves for being so stupid!

as discussed earlier, it is "free money" for them... Doing 50k in sales, is $1mil to Ubi.

But I guess they dont like money too much... money sucks!

Grecco

spwolf said:
as discussed earlier, it is "free money" for them... Doing 50k in sales, is $1mil to Ubi.

But I guess they dont like money too much... money sucks!

They will get them anyways. Its not gonna sell 50k in January?

31./29. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (Pokémon)
32./16. [NDS] Pro Baseball Family Stadium DS (Bandai-Namco)
33./00. [PS2] Zero no Tsukai Mamuma ga Tsumugu: Night Wind's Fantasy (Marvelous Entertainment)
34./24. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
35./12. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)
36./00. [WII] Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes (Capcom)
37./37. [WII] Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
38./33. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
39./32. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
40./27. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (Tecmo)
41./30. [NDS] DS Literature Collection (Nintendo)
42./36. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
43./38. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
44./25. [NDS] Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Square-Enix)
45./49. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
46./00. [WII] Swing Golf Panya 2nd Shot! (Tecmo)
47./00. [NDS] IQ Supply 2 (Spike)
48./45. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
49./46. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Puchi-Puchi Omisecchi: Thanks Everybody! (Bandai-Namco)
50./44. [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (Taito)

NDS - 29
WII - 11
PS2 - 5
PSP - 2
PS3 - 2
360 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   124,627 |   116,694 | 6,278,504 | 20,284,183
2. WII   -    74,764 |    54,362 | 3,025,786 |  3,945,429
3. PSP   -    74,626 |    75,027 | 2,460,200 |  6,992,329
4. PS3   -    37,092 |    50,564 |   971,402 |  1,428,960
5. PS2   -    13,703 |    14,875 |   696,206 | 20,851,065
6. 360   -     6,632 |     7,117 |   208,990 |    473,692
7. GBA   -        33 |        82 |    50,280 | 15,348,359
8. NGC   -        32 |        44 |    10,417 |  4,179,885
GBA = 4 GBA + 9 SP + 20 Micro
NDS = 36 DS + 124,591 Lite

s_20071126.png

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not bad for the PS3 considering no software. And damn that PSP just keeps trucking. The Wii barely edged it out, though, with a great week for software releases.

Thunder Monkey: PSP remains virtually uncharged.

CrisKre

Wow. Wii reaching 4 million next week probably. Way to go Nintendo. And Wii = Ps3x2. So much for tades turning.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Next week Wii will pass 4 million and PSP will pass 7 million, PS3 will pass 1.5 million soon as well. Between the DS and PS2, THE GAP IS CLOSING! :lol

I hope the 360 gets a nice bump from LO... it should finally get passed the half-a-million mark... :(

AlphaSnake said:
Not bad for the PS3 considering no software. And damn that PSP just keeps trucking. The Wii barely edged it out, though, with a great week for software releases.

It still had a thousand unit drop from last week.

Which still validates what I said. Wasn't trying to insult anything, just stating the truth.

tanod

when is my burrito
I know this sounds stupid but wait for GT5: Prologue. That should kick PS3 sales up a notch or two. Still don't care if it beats the Wii. I'd just like it to maintain a healthy level of sales.

Kildace

AlphaSnake said:

Err, the PS3 losing momentum so fast after a new color and a price cut at the end of November is kinda horrible which makes me sad because I want the PS3 to do well in Japan.

Good but not amazing week for the Wii, Wii Fit didn't drive sales that much apparently.

Busaiku

Kildace said:
Err, the PS3 losing momentum so fast after a new color and a price cut at the end of November is kinda horrible which makes me sad because I want the PS3 to do well in Japan.
Next week is GT5:p right? I think sales for the PS3 could stabilize around 30k, given upcoming releases. Which isn't bad at all.

Cheesemeister said:
January 6th at this rate. Ignoring the inevitable holiday sales spikes, of course.
Heh, funny thing.

This gens handheld userbase has far outpaced last gens home console userbase. And neither handheld has stopped selling yet.

Top Bottom