• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

Parl

DS still big, nothing else to say, except Nintendo need to make sure they've got a good 2008 for DS to make its sales explode again.

Wii and PSP cross streams, but many people are still part-exchanging their PSPs/buying their first PSP (I've heard a lot of the former is happening).

Fairly big PS3 drop, but was obvious, except to those people saying "PS3 50k for 3 weeks!" and not understanding why.

Nice 360 (compared to what it has done historically), although it did 4,053 this time last year. Come on 360! 1.05 million by the end of 2008 here we come.

Wii will probably reach GameCube lifetime LTD by the end of the year in Japan.

Well Done on the turnaround Nintendo. At this rate a 12million-18million lifetime for Wii in Japan is not out of the question, which is a fantastic base for them to then forge on with their 6th Home Console.

Vinnk

schuelma said:
Interested to hear Vinnk's report tonight. If there was a re-stock I bet its over 100K.

Sorry, I am not near my computer right now (I'm on a shared work computer) so my report will come a bit later on. But I can say right now that about half of the stores (the larger chains) have restocked WiiFit. The smaller stores are still sold out but expect a shipment soon. Looks like Nintendo was ready.

And No More Heroes is excellent.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
Sorry, I am not near my computer right now (I'm on a shared work computer) so my report will come a bit later on. But I can say right now that about half of the stores (the larger chains) have restocked WiiFit. The smaller stores are still sold out but expect a shipment soon. Looks like Nintendo was ready.

And No More Heroes is excellent.

Thanks man.

And are people buying NMH?

Arde5643

Kildace said:
Good but not amazing week for the Wii, Wii Fit didn't drive sales that much apparently.
Could this also be because WiiFit was almost sold out in retailers by the 2nd day?
I think by the 2nd day, almost 80% of initial shipment was sold out.

Perhaps the non-Wii owners are waiting until WiiFit is available before buying a Wii system.

Kildace

Arde5643 said:
Could this also be because WiiFit was almost sold out in retailers by the 2nd day?
I think by the 2nd day, almost 80% of initial shipment was sold out.

Perhaps the non-Wii owners are waiting until WiiFit is available before buying a Wii system.

I was just saying that with 250K Wii Fit sold, I would have expected the Wii to get a bigger bump than it did, something like 90 - 100K. Wii Fit will probably have crazy legs and drive console sales a lot week to week but I found it interesting to see that the early adopters are mainly people who already own a Wii.

Kifimbo

Parl said:
DS still big, nothing else to say, except Nintendo need to make sure they've got a good 2008 for DS to make its sales explode again.

DQ IX = Two months of great sales.

I wouldn't be surprised to see New Super Mario Bros. 2, a sequel to Nintendogs and Brain Age 3.

Vinnk

Fio said:
Seeing WiiFit moving more hardware than Mario Galaxy really hurts the nintard inside me.

Well to be honest, WiiFit or not, hardware always goes up during December. I'm sure WiiFit didn't hurt though...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As we know, the streams crossed a little while ago and the PS3 was momentarily beating the Wii. During the weeks that the PS3 was ahead of the Wii, it outsold the Wii (closed the gap) by 24326 units.

Last week, the Wii edged ahead of the PS3. Between last week and this week, the Wii outsold the PS3 by 41470 units, erasing all the gains that the PS3 made as well as pulling ahead an additional 17144 units.

Parl

Kifimbo said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see New Super Mario Bros. 2, a sequel to Nintendogs and Brain Age 3.
While these games will push DS hardware sales notably, the market these games will appeal to are very similar to the market New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs and (More) Brain Training appealed to - the market which have been largely targeted and have DSs.

To push hardware sales from brilliant to insane again (like in 2006 and most of 2007), software that is targeted towards an audience who don't already own a DS is required.

Or DS's first ever price drop.

On that note, I don't believe DS has sold so damn much in Japan in 3 years and hasn't even had a price drop.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stumpokapow said:
As we know, the streams crossed a little while ago and the PS3 was momentarily beating the Wii. During the weeks that the PS3 was ahead of the Wii, it outsold the Wii (closed the gap) by 24326 units.

Last week, the Wii edged ahead of the PS3. Between last week and this week, the Wii outsold the PS3 by 41470 units, erasing all the gains that the PS3 made as well as pulling ahead an additional 17144 units.
That just goes to show how poorly PS3 started out this past year and how badly Wii had dropped these past few weeks.

test_account

XP-39C²
Paracelsus said:
GT5 Prologue arrives just in time to stop PS3 from falling down again...maybe. :s

I wonder how many "copies" that would be purchaced through PSN of GT5 Prologue and if it will be taken into account in that week's numbers.

test_account said:
Hehe ;) I just wanted to point out that it was a pretty small drop and less than 1000 :)
Well, overall the market is looking okay for three consoles. The DS, Wii, and PSP.

But only one of those three saw any form of lesser sales. They just didn't lose that many compared to others.:D

My point was lessened by my inability to notice stuff.

Timbuktu

Parl said:
To push hardware sales from brilliant to insane again (like in 2006 and most of 2007), software that is targeted towards an audience who don't already own a DS is required.

What market is that exactly? I can't think of a big segment of the market that the DS doesn't cater to. Excel on DS maybe?

Chumly

test_account said:
I wonder how many "copies" that would be purchaced through PSN of GT5 Prologue and if it will be taken into account in that week's numbers.
Someone correct me if im wrong but theres no way media create or famitsu will be able to tell the sales through PSN. Sony might do a press release and THEY could tell us but it wont be reflected in media create.

Don't worry guys Japan's 2008 release list so far is fine sales wise:

Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Kirby Superstar Deluxe
Fire Emblem DS
Blue Dragon DS
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2
Inazuma Eleven

Not all of those will be huge hits, but I think maybe 4 to 5 of them could be million sellers. Then there is a bunch of stuff that hasn't been announced.

Timbuktu said:
What market is that exactly? I can't think of a big segment of the market that the DS doesn't cater to. Excel on DS maybe?
Brilliant!

Here's $150,000... get to work. We at Nintendo will need this product by the mid of 2008.

Chumly said:
Someone correct me if im wrong but theres no way media create or famitsu will be able to tell the sales through PSN. Sony might do a press release and THEY could tell us but it wont be reflected in media create.

Yeah, no sales of online services. At least console online services. I'm not sure about online shops like Amazon.

Wii comparisons: At 53 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 226.9 weeks (January 13, 2006), where GBA was at 39.8 weeks (December 21, 2001), where DS was at 53.0 weeks (December 3, 2005), where PS2 was at 62.9 weeks (May 12, 2001), and where PSP was at 91.2 weeks (September 4, 2006).

You can see that Wii is right at where DS was; at least without going into further decimal points. Expect Wii to fall behind now.

PS3 comparisons: At 56 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 8.4 weeks (April 25, 2000), where PSP was at 27.5 weeks (June 15, 2005), where GCN was at 44.2 weeks (July 15, 2002), and where Wii was at 9.8 weeks (February 2, 2007).

PS3 continues tearing through GCN weeks. In the last 4 weeks, PS3 has gone through 16.8 GCN weeks. I expect PS3 will catch up to GCN in December.

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 62.5 / 37.5, bringing total shres to 74.4 / 25.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 178.1 weeks (May 2, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 33.2 / 66.8; the strongest Wii week since September. Still, it's enough to gain PS3 a little in the overall shares, which come to 26.6 / 73.4. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 67.8 weeks (March 21, 2009).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 22,079.0 weeks (January 27, 2431).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 5.1 weeks (January 6, 2008) at ~20.9 million units apiece.

At week 48, total hardware sales for the year have passed 13.70 million. Usually I only mention rounder milestones, but 2007 is now ahead of 2006, which reached 13.67 million. A new record.

Busaiku said:
DS might be able to pass up PS2 by the end of the year, if sales rise a bit more, which seems plausible.
It absolutely will, unless it has a turd of a December.
Fio said:
Seeing WiiFit moving more hardware than Mario Galaxy really hurts the nintard inside me.
It's late November; things spike now.
Parl said:
Fairly big PS3 drop, but was obvious, except to those people saying "PS3 50k for 3 weeks!" and not understanding why.
Seeing as we're going into the strong part of the year, I thought it would at least maintain that level. Oh well. If not this week, it will be past 50K again soon enough.
cordonbleu said:
Wii will probably reach GameCube lifetime LTD by the end of the year in Japan.
Again, absolutely unless it has a turd of a December. :)
Kildace said:
I was just saying that with 250K Wii Fit sold, I would have expected the Wii to get a bigger bump than it did, something like 90 - 100K. Wii Fit will probably have crazy legs and drive console sales a lot week to week but I found it interesting to see that the early adopters are mainly people who already own a Wii.
Outside of DS, it's very very rare to see any game push a system up to those heights, even if they sell multiple times what Wii Fit did; though it is easier in late November than most of the previous 10 months.

apujanata

PS3 is not doing well, especially since this is the period where H/W usually increased from the normal period.

Wii doing better, but not on the "wow" level.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At 53 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 226.9 weeks (January 13, 2006), where GBA was at 39.8 weeks (December 21, 2001), where DS was at 53.0 weeks (December 3, 2005), where PS2 was at 62.9 weeks (May 12, 2001), and where PSP was at 91.2 weeks (September 4, 2006).

Something seems wrong here. Didn't the Wii launch on December 2nd last year? So how is it the 53rd week of sale. I'm probably missing something really obvious here, I'm half asleep.

Edit: Odysseus, I think the 360 has passed the original Xbox already with Famitsu data, but not Media-Create.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunder Monkey said:
Well, overall the market is looking okay for three consoles. The DS, Wii, and PSP.

But only one of those three saw any form of lesser sales. They just didn't lose that many compared to others.:D

True. I dont think PS3 is doing that bad at the moment tho, eventho there was relatively large drop this week.

Chumly said:

Ye, but the numbers are also based on estimates, not just hard data. Therefor i wonder if they will put the PSN sales into account while doing the estimates. On the other hand, if they have no hard data for PSN networks, its impossible to do estimates, except wild guessing of corse hehe :)

test_account said:
True. I dont think PS3 is doing that bad at the moment tho, eventho there was relatively large drop this week.
No, it's really not doing that bad right now.

It's seen a bit of a drop, but it's not in the 10,000 unit region either, so that's a definite win... even though this is a sales heavy time of the year.

Raw64life

Odysseus said:
the dormant xtard in me prodded myself to ask

how far behind the og xbox is the 360?

According to Famitsu, 360 has already surpassed Xbox 1 sales. When Media Create stopped tracking Xbox 1 it was at 475k so next week 360 will pass it.

Odysseus

Banned
Stopsign said:
Edit: Odysseus, I think the 360 has passed the original Xbox already with Famitsu data, but not Media-Create.

Raw64life said:
According to Famitsu, 360 has already surpassed Xbox 1 sales. When Media Create stopped tracking Xbox 1 it was at 475k so next week 360 will pass it.

alrighty then

champagne for everybody at xbox japan

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
so ps3 took a decent fall, it's good to see the gundabump phase is past though, normally this far after the bump it's back down around 10k. Wii had a nice jump, but I'm just saying everyone was talkin about wii fit like the second coming of God. It just didn't make a huge difference like I expected.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Vinnk said:
Really? It was totally sold out in my town. And my frinds in Fukuoka and Nagasaki (much larger cities) can't find copies either. What part of Japan do you live in?

Osaka

Guys, does anyone know if there is a planned release for Diddy Kong Racing DS in Japan? The N64 game did well, around 600k, so I'm confused on why it hasn't been released yet. Just something that popped into my head while looking through an old thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunder Monkey said:
No, it's really not doing that bad right now.

It's seen a bit of a drop, but it's not in the 10,000 unit region either, so that's a definite win... even though this is a sales heavy time of the year.

Yep, too bad for Sony that they dont really have too much for this x-mas when it comes to PS3 (dont know about PSP or PS2). Sure, you have GT5 Prologue, but other than that i dont really see any system sellers. Time Crisis 4 might do a small bump, but i dont think it would be anything segnificant to be honest.

Kifimbo said:

DQIX looks like it's getting pushed to 2009. DQVr and maybe DQVIr are 2008 releases, which should give the DS a kick in the pants.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well Ps3 at 30,000 again this week I thought it would drop lower but it's still fighting there and damn at those Wii numbers very good.

Lightning

Banned
Those PS3 sales are disappointing. With only Uncharted releasing this week it won't get any better and GT5 Prologue being a PSN title won't give us accurate reading on how the game is performing.

360 to beat PS3 next week with LO, VF5, Viva Pinata Animals release?

Stopsign said:
Something seems wrong here. Didn't the Wii launch on December 2nd last year? So how is it the 53rd week of sale. I'm probably missing something really obvious here, I'm half asleep.
For simplicity, it doesn't go by actual release date, but by sales weeks. So while Wii launched December 2, as far as the data is concerned, it launched the week beginning November 27.

Satter

Banned
Expect for the PS3, good numbers all around. Like someone said before, I expect the PS3 to rise.

It seems that the Wii has taken off as a mainstream device. Not so much as a videogame player, but general entertainment for the masses. I don't see the Wii as being a threat to tradtional gaming. So long as there is money to be made with traditional controls and A+ games, the industry will progress smoothly.

Top Bottom