• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

Tron 2.0

Bebpo said:
The Wii version came with Sengoku Basara 2 because Heroes is the expansion disc to 2 and SB2 is pretty much required for the full experience. The Wii version cost the same as a normal game in Japan and had SB2+Heroes. The PS2 version was budget priced and expansion pack only.
:blink:

That pretty much explains why the PS2 version sold so much better.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
The Wii version came with Sengoku Basara 2 because Heroes is the expansion disc to 2 and SB2 is pretty much required for the full experience. The Wii version cost the same as a normal game in Japan and had SB2+Heroes. The PS2 version was budget priced and expansion pack only.
It's not a port if it's made on the Wii and then done on the PS2 secondly.

I dunno about this one, Beb. If I was at all a fan of the series, these are the options that would be before me:
1. buy the expansion to a game I already have at a cheap budget price
1. spend full game price to get the game I already have and the expansion, when neither the game nor the expansion are changed (in controls, graphics, or content) versus the cheapo version

I'm pretty sure I know which option I'd pick.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ethelred said:
I dunno about this one, Beb. If I was at all a fan of the series, these are the options that would be before me:
1. spend full game price to get the game I already have and the expansion, when neither the game nor the expansion are changed (in controls, graphics, or content) versus the cheapo version

lemme guess option #1?

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
I was totally wrong about that, I see. Gee, isn't my face red?

Shame though, I could see a lot of benefit in that other model.
I agree, but this all comes back to the broken business model gaming runs on. Someday it's really going to bite this industry in the ass hard.

Vinnk

ethelred said:

Thats how it went down for one of my friends who is a fan of the series. He has a Wii and PS2 and bought the PS2 one because it's cheaper. If there was no PS2 version or the Wii version was the same price, he would have bought that. The only people this Wii version appeals to are people brand new to the series.

But it's still a very dissapointing number and I am sure they expected more.

mutsu

ethelred said:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

jgwhiteus

By the way, I don't think there's any denying that SB2 Wii bombed horribly - it didn't even chart. I'm pretty sure Capcom hoped it'd at least do that. I just think it strange that Capcom would expect it to do better than a budget-priced expansion on the PS2's significantly larger userbase.

Which illustrates some of the problems still afflicting consoles in Japan this gen - the PS2 is still around, and a lot of PS2 gamers who buy into franchises like Gundam and SB (though I don't know much about either series) are apparently content to stick with it for the time being. Which is a problem for Nintendo, because any multiplatform releases on PS2/Wii seem to invariably favor the PS2, which doesn't make a strong case for Wii third parties, and a problem for Sony because PS2 gamers apparently see no need to "upgrade" to a PS3 when a lot of popular games are still on the PS2.

.dmc

Banned
mutsu said:
Doesn't really make sense though. If Capcom was expecting the game to sell better on Wii than PS2, then why include Sengoku Basara 1 also in the Wii version making it more expensive? If you have already played Sengoku Basara 1 and have a PS2, wouldn't you just buy the cheaper PS2 version of Sengoku Basara 2?

This is the same Capcom who announced a PS2 port of RE4 before the Cube version released. They're not exactly renowned for their brilliant tactical decisions.

Zoe

Crusade said:
Is PSN very widespread in Japan anyway? I think most of the sales will be through retail

From the Right Brain Training game in Mainichi Issho:

12/5 - 92,121 players (32,216 in their 20's)

This is up from 87,727 on 11/14 (the previous time I played >_<). I believe you're only counted if you submit your scores.

mutsu

jgwhiteus said:
By the way, I don't think there's any denying that SB2 Wii bombed horribly - it didn't even chart. I'm pretty sure Capcom hoped it'd at least do that. I just think it strange that Capcom would expect it to do better than a budget-priced expansion on the PS2's significantly larger userbase.

Which illustrates some of the problems still afflicting consoles in Japan this gen - the PS2 is still around, and a lot of PS2 gamers who buy into franchises like Gundam and SB (though I don't know much about either series) are apparently content to stick with it for the time being. Which is a problem for Nintendo, because any multiplatform releases on PS2/Wii seem to invariably favor the PS2, which doesn't make a strong case for Wii third parties, and a problem for Sony because PS2 gamers apparently see no need to "upgrade" to a PS3 when a lot of popular games are still on the PS2.

Part of that is true. The other part which is not quite true is that franchise games on PS2 are not selling as much as they used to be anymore either. People are really moving onto handheld gaming in Japan.

Banned
So the wii version costs more, simple as that. Personally i would buy the PS2 version.
It's a dumb strategy. PS2 fans aren't going to jump ship off the PS2 onto the wii when they can just save their money. If Capcom seriously wants the series on wii, then they should make a clean break. Release the wii version, at budget price ala RE4 and see if people bite then.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I agree, but this all comes back to the broken business model gaming runs on. Someday it's really going to bite this industry in the ass hard.
Inevitably, yes. I do think though, that the fact that the market leader's relatively low dev cost jump from last gen will help postpone this a little longer. Devs don't have to bet the farm on every release just yet.

After that though, back to the arms race and the road to the second crash.

jgwhiteus said:
Doesn't seem that much a problem. If they want a game to sell a lot on Wii, they'll make a Wii game. If they want to sell a lot on PS2, they'll keep making PS2 games and get little extra Wii sales for little extra effort expended. PS2 didn't get its reputation as a software-selling machine by the impressive performance of multiplatform PS1/PS2 games.
It's a dumb strategy. PS2 fans aren't going to jump ship off the PS2 onto the wii when they can just save their money. If Capcom seriously wants the series on wii, then they should make a clean break.
Right. Would a built-for-Wii SB3 be doing well right now? *shrug* I'll ask the next Sliders I see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't think Capcom expected that much more out of the Wii version than how it performed, wasn't their total sales target for the Wii and PS2 versions combined 200k? I'm sure they shipped accordingly.

boiled goose

good with gravy
tanod said:
You misunderstood me.

Nuclear bomb as in your local Wal-Mart will look like a Mad Max movie the day it comes out.

sorry... i thought you meant it was going to bomb.... in nuclear proportions...:lol

Chrono

Banned
Sort of a random question but, uh, isn't Dragon Quest IX on the DS supposed to come out this month? Was it delayed again, and if so is there any info on when it'll be out?

ethelred

Chrono said:
Sort of a random question but, uh, isn't Dragon Quest IX on the DS supposed to come out this month? Was it delayed again, and if so is there any info on when it'll be out?

Dragon Quest IV came out in November. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in 2008.

.dmc said:
This is the same Capcom who announced a PS2 port of RE4 before the Cube version released. They're not exactly renowned for their brilliant tactical decisions.
How is that really hurting their bottom line? Rabid Nintendo fans passing on RE4 because it's not exclusive? Those who were affected by the news just waited to get it on the PS2. No big deal.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
isn't layton just a bunch of 'brain teasers' with a european animation veneer? i'm not sure this is a victory for videogames as such

drohne said:
isn't layton just a bunch of 'brain teasers' with a european animation veneer? i'm not sure this is a victory for videogames as such
isn't Monkey Island just a bunch of 'brain teasers' with an american animation veneer?

drohne

no, monkey island is a graphic adventure. my understanding of layton is that it consists of 'a farmer's got a wolf, a sheep, and a radish on his boat' sort of puzzles -- which is not videogames

bonus: drohne's 'is it a graphic adventure' test

1. is it from japan?

if you answered 'yes' to question 1, it is almost certainly not a graphic adventure, and you will refrain from comparing it to one

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
ethelred said:
Dragon Quest IV came out in November. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in 2008.
Oh! So what just came out isn't the "BIG ONE"?? God, I can't imagine how the DQ9 game will sell.

drohne said:
no, monkey island is a graphic adventure. my understand of layton is that it consists of 'a farmer's got a wolf, a sheep, and a radish on his boat' sort of puzzles -- which is not videogames

1. is it from japan?

if you answered 'yes' to question 1, it is almost certainly not a graphic adventure, and you will refrain from comparing it to one
Keep splitting hairs if it helps you sleep better at night, drohne.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
But it is a videogame nonetheless. If you cannot swallow it then don't put it in your mouth.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
drohne said:
no, monkey island is a graphic adventure. my understanding of layton is that it consists of 'a farmer's got a wolf, a sheep, and a radish on his boat' sort of puzzles -- which is not videogames

1. is it from japan?

So games like Snatcher, Policenauts, Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, these aren't graphic adventures?

drohne

it's not splitting hairs when unwarranted cries of 'graphic adventure' have caused me to play phoenix wright, hotel dusk, and zack and wiki

it's a matter of LIFE AND DEATH

edit: if hotel dusk was an adventure, it would be a text adventure. as it happens it's just a text. and not in the daft critical theory manner of calling everything a 'text.' i mean it's just a bunch of awful text

drohne said:

As opposed to our illustrious stable of interactive entertainment that includes stomping your foot in rhythm to music and aligning blocks to create horizontal lines and, yes, selecting from dialogue trees in order to advance the plot?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
drohne said:
it's not splitting hairs when unwarranted cries of 'graphic adventure' have caused me to play phoenix wright, hotel dusk, and zack and wiki

edit: if hotel dusk was an adventure, it would be a text adventure. as it happens it's just a text. and not in the daft critical theory manner of calling everything a 'text.' i mean it's just a bunch of awful text
Weren't games like Policenauts point-and-click style graphic adventure games with some action elements? There were a couple western games that did the same sort of thing in the late 80s/early 90s.

ethelred

drohne: Layton is half animation-inspired Phoenix Wright, half brain puzzles. It's not your thing. Also, it's Japanese.

XiaNaphryz said:
Weren't games like Policenauts point-and-click style graphic adventure games with some action elements? There were a couple western games that did the same sort of thing in the late 80s/early 90s.

Pointing out Snatcher or Policenauts isn't going to sway minds -- drohne's attacked them plenty in the past. Harvey Birdman's okay, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
drohne said:

But uh... Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk are text adventure games, at least I always thought they were.

.dmc

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
How is that really hurting their bottom line? Rabid Nintendo fans passing on RE4 because it's not exclusive? Those who were affected by the news just waited to get it on the PS2. No big deal.

Sorry, from that perspective you're completely right. My comment was more from the perspective of, wanting to develop a fanbase on one console, releasing an extra version to increase their overall unit sales/boost their bottom line, being surprised when the fanbase stays where it is. If Capcom wanted to transition their userbase to Wii then they completely fucked up by releasing a cheaper version for PS2. The RE4 example isn't particularly instructive in that regard, but it is an example of them hurting one SKU to squeeze sales out of another.

zallaaa

actually, I thought of a day-one sell out for Wii Fit... however the 1st stock should already be vanished. first place the coming week?

linsivvi

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
How much emphasis is there in Japan for people to lose/gain weight or keep fit? High prices won't phase people if they want it bad enough.

You don't understand Japan (or Asian women in general) if you are doubting their obsession with losing weight.

Tiktaalik

I can certainly see how Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk fit in with text adventures, but I think you folks are forgetting about the part of Hotel Dusk where you're
trapped in the room with the time limit
. This small portion of the game has quite a bit of graphical puzzle elements like a traditional graphical adventure.

Lobster

Banned
Bebpo said:
So ummm, Capcom was planning on moving Sengoku Basara series to Wii thinking that's where the fanbase is at. They release a PS2 version just to not totally backstab people.

PS2 version charts in the top10.

Wii version no where to be seen in the top30.

Doesn't fare to well for SB3 Wii! Wonder what Capcom's thinking right now.

Capcom should be thinking that they're pretty stupid for releasing the game on Ps2 and Wii. If the game was Wii exclusive, the Ps2 fans would've bought the Wii game, or atleast timed exclusive. Although nobody on GAF knows why there are timed exclusives and they're going to say this post is stupid.

edit:Also anyone notice that Mario and Sonic is fairing very well and also that Capcom is totally fucking up Umbrella Chronicles shipment? When Vinkk does his report, most stores are "sold out". Its obvious its not because its a selling shitloads..since well you know..Capcom is restricting it.

Mario and Sonic looks like it will reach 300k!

d[-_-]b

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
NDS - 14
WII - 8
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 2
PSP - 1
360 - 1
Slowly but surely more Wii titles are in the Top 30.
Last week it was 7 now it's 8 soon 9 muhahaha, a small leap for Wii but a large leap for Nintendo.

d[-_-]b said:
Slowly but surely more Wii titles are in the Top 30.
Last week it was 7 now it's 8 soon 9 muhahaha, a small leap for Wii but a large leap for Nintendo.

Yeah but DS now has less than half of the titles in the top 30. When one goes up the other must come down :(

Stage On

It's good to see Dragon Quest 4 doing so well. Most rpgs drop off really fast after their first week in japan after and for it to fall so little is a good sign. Of course if Squre-enix dosn't bring it over here their will be much fire and brimstone in their future.

It's also good to see Mario Galaxy holding out at 11th place for a second week in a row. Maybe it's future in Japan isn't looking so dim after all.

Top Bottom