• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/01- 12/07

Paracelsus

Kandinsky said:
Cant tell if ppl saying 'good ps3 numbers!' are being sarcastic or not D:

I assume you weren't following MC threads like...less than two months ago?

In comparison, those numbers are decent, probably a drop from 2007, but still decent ones.

Frillen

Paracelsus said:
I assume you weren't following MC threads like...less than two months ago?

In comparison, those numbers are decent, probably a drop from 2007, but still decent ones.

Decent compared to what? Compared to the PSone? No. Compared to the PS2? No. Compared to 2007? No.

??????

Paracelsus

Frillen said:
Decent compared to what? Compared to the PSone? No. Compared to the PS2? No. Compared to 2007? No.

??????

In comparison with

less than two months ago

Did you miss the "360-in-PS3-place-and-viceversa" six (seven?) weeks streak?

Now, the question is whether they can keep this going at least until Biohazard 5. They have games to mantain the momentum, but last year right after DMC4 PS3 dropped from 25k average straight to below 10k, so eh.

test_account said:
EDIT: Was LocoRoco 1 bundles with some PSP by the way? I find it atlittle strange that sequel only sells 5800 copies (atleast in the first week) when the previous game in the serie sold about 154,000, and both games are on the same system.
[PSP] LocoRoco 2 (SCE) - 5,100 / NEW
[NDS] Sekai no Gohan Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi (Nintendo) - 3,400 / NEW

No one mentioned it yet but Cooking Navi 1 from Nintendo sold 117k first week and 875k LTD. Yet this 'sequel' has sold 3,4k first week.

I wouldn't go by LocoRoco LTD though, they overshipped a ton, word of mouth wasn't good and going from my own experience this is Loco Roco 1.1. Doesn't look like SCEJ pushed it as much as the first one either. Still bomba.

Hero of Canton said:
I'd have thought 34k was pretty good for a sound novel. Has Chun Soft had a bigger hit in that genre in recent years?
Kamaitachi no Yoru 3 (PS2, 2006) - 104k first week (162k LTD). This was a big franchise though, 2nd on PS2 sold 352k, 1st on PS1 sold 333k.

sticksave

Neo Member
Paracelsus said:
In comparison with

Now, the question is whether they can keep this going at least until Biohazard 5. They have games to mantain the momentum, but last year right after DMC4 PS3 dropped from 25k average straight to below 10k, so eh.

Ok so decent compared to a non-holiday week then. Compared to most other measurements however not so decent.

19. [NDS] Little Magicians Magic Adventure (Konami) - 15,000 / 109,000

The world saddens me, How can complete rip-off copy cat games sale this much and actually somehow go up in the sales rankings(who knows why). But Avalon code and Winds of Nostalgia just died in the sales market.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[PSP] LocoRoco 2 (SCE) - 5,100 / NEW
[NDS] Sekai no Gohan Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi (Nintendo) - 3,400 / NEW

No one mentioned it yet but Cooking Navi 1 from Nintendo sold 117k first week and 875k LTD. Yet this 'sequel' has sold 3,4k first week.

I wouldn't go by LocoRoco LTD though, they overshipped a ton, word of mouth wasn't good and going from my own experience this is Loco Roco 1.1. Doesn't look like SCEJ pushed it as much as the first one either. Still bomba.
Wow, that is a pretty big difference on that Cooking Navi game compared to the previous game(s) in that serie as well, like it is with LocoRoco 1 and 2 too. Is there any particular reason for that?

Ah ok, pity :\ It seems that LocoRoco 1 had some decent legs though, since it took like 4-5 months to go from about 32k in the first week of sales to it reached about 154k, and since LocoRoco 2 did pretty poor compared the LocoRoco 1's LTD, i wondered if LocoRoco 1 maybe was bundled with a PSP or something.

But as you said, if the word to mouth was bad for LocoRoco 1 and if LocoRoco 2 is basicly LocoRoco 1.1, then this might be some reasons for why LocoRoco 2 sold pretty poor in it's first week of sales. Ye, i think LocoRoco 2 seems like a bomb indeed, but i think it might end up selling alittle better, atleast by going after the legs that LocoRoco 1 had, but if LocoRoco 2 is basicly LocoRoco 1.1 and if people are aware of this, then there might be some much shorter legs with LocoRoco 2 compared to LocoRoco 1.

Oh, and i ment 5100 copies by the way, not 5800 as i first wrote, i have no edited my previous post here :) I guess i should have double checked the numbers before i wrote hehe, i am sorry about that, thanks for pointing that out! :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
LocoRoco 2 doesn't even have any new songs. I'm starting to think Sony got what they deserved with this one.
It is pretty wierd that there arent any new songs concidering that it is a sequel (hence the "2" in the game title). It sounds more like a expansion pack than a sequel, or maybe even expansion packs have new songs hehe :( It doesnt sound like Sony put too much work into LocoRoco 2 :(

Frillen

Paracelsus said:
In comparison with

Wow, so Sony fans have sunken so low with their expectations that beating the 360 3 to 1 in Japan is considered good now? The PS2, the predeccesor to the PS3 and console which outsold the original Xbox 45, I repeat, 45 times to 1.

Oh and comparing weeks in December to other weeks during the year speaks volumes about your knowledge regarding sales. Ever heard of holidays? Ever heard of December being 3-4 times bigger than other months? Don't compare weeks in December with other weeks except if they are weeks from previous December months from previous years.

spwolf

Frillen said:
Wow, so Sony fans have sunken so low with their expectations that beating the 360 3 to 1 in Japan is considered good now? The PS2, the predeccesor to the PS3 and console which outsold the original Xbox 45, I repeat, 45 times to 1.
Oh and comparing weeks in December to other weeks during the year speaks volumes about your knowledge regarding sales. Ever heard of holidays? Ever heard of December being 3-4 times bigger than other months? Don't compare weeks in December with other weeks except if they are weeks from previous December months from previous years.

you expect PS3 to sell 450,000 per week in Japan?

:lol

Since Wii is outselling 360 5x1, and PS2 did 45x1, does that make Wii less sucessful than PS2?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
spwolf said:

Since Wii is outselling 360 5x1, and PS2 did 45x1, does that make Wii less sucessful than PS2?

the real error isn't the black math, it's conflating weekly sales with lifetime sales. the reason why the PS2 dominated by such margins is that it launched earlier and stayed alive later, so while it may have only outsold 5:1 or 10:1 on a weekly basis, it also had several years of outselling everyone else by an infinite margin.

Frillen

spwolf said:

Of course not, but by main point was the second pharagraph anyway. Comparing December weeks to other weeks is pointless, but I guess you dissagree there as well.

:lol :lol :lol

Oh, and I forgot

lherre

Accurate
Frillen said:
Of course not, but by main point was the second pharagraph anyway. Comparing December weeks to other weeks is pointless, but I guess you dissagree there as well.

But ... the holidays (december) only count for ps3 or for x360 too ... and x360 is selling worse than without holidays ... strange, well for me not (some rpgs have to say hi) but you say that holidays ...

All the home consoles are selling really bad comparing not only with the last gen, comparing with the last year. I don't see any surprise.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
neojubei said:
Awesome numbers for the PS3, Wii, PSP and DSi.

Ehh, I wouldn't call the Wii or PSP numbers "awesome", especially the Wii numbers which are falling drastically behind 07 every week.

Vinnk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

It was HEAVILY advertised too. In fact there is an ad for it on TV right now. And I have seen several different spots for it in the last few weeks. This is indeed the biggest shocker.

Blablurn said:
Good numbers for PS3! I like that.

I don't think so.Investors, and publishers are scared by terrible PS3 hardware&software sales ,while Wii sales collapse.There is so much uncertainty out there...

Code:
Media Create Sales

Week of 2007-12-03 

Wii 115,057

PS3 38,123

Here's the reason.

Code:
Number of Titles Released(Japan)

Life-to-date

PS2 5,596

PS1 4,944

Super Family Computer 1,398

Family Computer 1,047

PS3 357

GameCube 257

Nintendo 64 196

Wii 195

No one knows what's going on,so game publishers said the PS2 remained an attractive platform.

Code:
FY2009

PS2 224

PS3 122

Wii 42

Sony needs a price cut and fast(Feb,Mar) or concede defeat to Nintendo,walk away from the PS3 as much as possible,and release a revamped PS2 (PSii) to compete.Now that Blu-ray has won the format war,it's time to make sound business decisions.

Tideas

Banned
Parmenides said:
Sony needs a price cut and fast(Feb,Mar) or concede defeat to Nintendo,walk away from the PS3 as much as possible,and released a revamped PS2 (PSii) to compete.Now that Blu-ray has won the format war,it's time to make sound business decisions.

This is why you're not a CEO. I'm laughing so hard it hurts. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Parmenides said:
Here's the reason.

Code:

Life-to-date

PS2 5,596

PS1 4,944

Family Computer 1,047

PS3 357

GameCube 257

Nintendo 64 196

Wii 195
Wow, that is alot of PS1 and PS2 games released! o_O Are that 5,596 PS2 games in Japan alone?I read something that there were like 8000 PS2 games released worldwide, and i had no idea how that was possible, but if Japan got 5,596 PS2 games alone, and if you count the NTSC and the PAL version as 2 "games" of their own, i guess there is a possibilty that there could be around 8000 PS2 releases worldwide.

By the way, 357 PS3 games in Japan alone, are there really that many PS3 games in Japan? That is something around 3 PS3 games being released every week. Or does this list counts for the PSN-only games/titles as well?

EDIT: I just checked garaph.info and i found 78 PS3 games. I dont think there exist about 279 PSN-only titles/games. Maybe those 357 PS3 games also include the PSone re-releases through PSN? :)

Parmenides said:
No one knows what's going on,so game publishers said the PS2 remained an attractive platform.

Code:
FY2009

PS2 224

PS3 122

Wii 42
When is the FY2009 starting (or when did it start) and ending?

Parmenides said:
Code:

Life-to-date

PS2 5,596

PS1 4,944

Family Computer 1,047

PS3 357

GameCube 257

Nintendo 64 196

Wii 195
Hmm, could you post your source, because the number of released PS3 - titles seems too high to me. :p

Mindlog

Parmenides said:
I don't think so.Investors, and publishers are scared by terrible PS3 hardware&software sales ,while Wii sales collapse.There is so much uncertainty out there...

Here's the reason.

Sony needs a price cut and fast(Feb,Mar) or concede defeat to Nintendo,walk away from the PS3 as much as possible,and release a revamped PS2 (PSii) to compete.Now that Blu-ray has won the format war,it's time to make sound business decisions.

It all comes together to paint a rather bleak image.

Any updated YoY total software charts laying around?

Mindlog said:
It all comes together to paint a rather bleak image.

Any updated YoY total software charts laying around?
No, but here are the current LTD's:

Software LTD's
Launch - 08/03/2008 = Famitsu
08/04 - 11/30/2008 = Dengeki

Hardware = Media Create

Code:
	Software LTD	Tie Ratio

NDS	113.706.935	4,68 (+ 0,01)
PSP	26.081.583	2,39 (+ 0,02)
WII	24.978.424	3,54 (+ 0,01)
PS3	7.667.878	3,10 (+ 0,06)
360	3.802.787	4,87 (+ 0,01)

lo zaffo

Correct, but Wii music is not alone, Shiren DS 2 and 428 from Chun Soft share the same destiny, and the list is long and growing ...

Next week's releases.

12/15 - 12/21/2008

NDS:
12/18 Bokujou Monogatari: Youkoso Kaze no Bazaar e
12/18 Edogawa Ranpo no Kaijin Nijuu Mensou DS
12/18 Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis
12/18 Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis (Konamistyle Special Edition)
12/18 Minna de Dokusho: Keatai Shousetsu Desu
12/18 Momotarou Dentetsu: 20-Shuunen
12/18 Nakayoshi All-Stars: Mezase Gakuen Idol
12/18 Ochaken no Daibouken 2: Yume Ippai no Omocha Hako
12/18 Power Pro-Kun Pocket 11
12/18 Princess Ballerina: Yumemiru 4-Jin no Primadonna
12/18 Ragnarok Online DS
12/18 Space Puzzle Bobble
12/18 Takahashi Shoten Kanshuu: Saihinshutsu! SPI Perfect Mondaishuu DS 2010 Nendohan
12/18 Tales of Hearts (Anime Movie Edition)
12/18 Tales of Hearts (CG Movie Edition)
12/18 Toudou Ryuunosuke Tantei Nikki: Kohakuiro no Yuigon

12/20 Kirarin * Revolution: Atsumete Change! Kurikira * Code

PS2:
12/18 ADK Tamashii
12/18 BeatMania IIDX 15: DJ Troopers
12/18 Fate/Unlimited Codes
12/18 Fate/Unlimited Codes (SP Box)
12/18 Gundam Musou 2
12/18 Gundam Musou 2 (Treasure Box)
12/18 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series Vol. 13: Shinseiki Evangelion - Yakusoku no Toki
12/18 Itsuka, Todoku, Ano Sora ni (Russel Games Best)
12/18 Kagero 2: Dark Illusion (PlayStation 2 the Best Reprint)
12/18 Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Dream Hyper Battle! (Best Collection)
12/18 Need for Speed Undercover
12/18 Yukinkoto Daisenpuu: Saiyuki to Koyukino Hie Hie Daisoudou

Wii:
12/18 Bleach: Versus Crusade
12/18 Dance Dance Revolution: Furu Furu Party
12/18 Dance Dance Revolution: Furu Furu Party (w/Mat)
12/18 Disney TH!NK: Haya Oshi Quiz
12/18 Elebits (Konami the Best)
12/18 FIFA 09: All-Play
12/18 Let's Tap
12/18 Sonic Unleashed
12/18 Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! (Tecmo the Best)

PSP:
12/18 Crimson Room Rebirth
12/18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy
12/18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy (20th Anniversary Limited Pack)
12/18 FIFA 09: World Class Soccer
12/18 Otsugea Uranai na Desu.
12/18 Saikyou Shogi Bonanza
12/18 Solfege: Sweet Harmony
12/18 Solfege: Sweet Harmony (First Print Limited Edition)

PS3:
12/18 Armored Core: For Answer (PlayStation 3 the Best)
12/18 Gundam Musou 2
12/18 Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA Best Hits)
12/18 The Godfather: The Don's Edition (EA Best Hits)

X360:
12/18 Fable II
12/18 Fable II (Limited Edition)
12/18 Gundam Musou 2
12/18 Prince of Persia

aerts1js

Even though the PS2 isn't selling hardware like it once used to (for obvious reasons) it still amazes me the amount of new releases it continues to get.

Captain Smoker said:
12/18 Edogawa Ranpo no Kaijin Nijuu Mensou DS

What is this one? I read a couple short stories by Edogawa Ranpo for a literature class this semester. From Wikipedia:

"Rampo was a great admirer of western mystery writers, and especially of Edgar Allan Poe. The pseudonym "Edogawa Rampo" is actually a Japanese rendering of Poe's name. Other authors who were special influences on him were Maurice Leblanc and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."

Anyways, the stories we read were pretty creepy-sweet. Y'all should read "The Human Chair" by him, I thought it was cool. Does anybody know any details about this game?

donny2112

test_account said:
EDIT: I just checked garaph.info and i found 78 PS3 games. I dont think there exist about 279 PSN-only titles/games. Maybe those 357 PS3 games also include the PSone re-releases through PSN? :)

I don't have my database in front of me, but I have something like 150 PS3 games with data. 300+ may be too high, but < 100 is also way too low. :p

Spiegel said:
I almost forgot this. Wii Music is out of the Top 30 (Famitsu)

Selling the first shipment is going to be hard

We'll probably never see it sell its first shipment. I think Famitsu stops tracking games when they fall below some weekly level, so whatever its 2008 total is will probably be the last time we see it.

lo zaffo said:
Correct, but Wii music is not alone, Shiren DS 2 and 428 from Chun Soft share the same destiny, and the list is long and growing ...

Do you have a coherent point here? If you do, I'm just not seeing it. Some games don't sell as well as others? Some games bomb? Some games don't?

What is your point with this statement?

jesusraz

Shame to see SEGA's Blazer Drive do so poor, since it's quite fun:

[NDS] Blazer Drive (Sega) - 4,800 / NEW

Vinnk said:
It was HEAVILY advertised too. In fact there is an ad for it on TV right now. And I have seen several different spots for it in the last few weeks. This is indeed the biggest shocker.
That's very interesting considering Nintendo only shipped 45,000 copies in the first week...

Koren

Captain Smoker said:
Hmm, could you post your source, because the number of released PS3 - titles seems too high to me. :p
Definitely... I'm looking at japanese plannings regularly (*mk2, for example), and Wii usually gets far more release than PS3. I would be surprised to see PS3 ahead of Wii on this count, and even close would surprise me. On the three last month of 2008, IIRC, it was something like three times more Wii titles than PS3 titles (I'm talking Japan & retail)

Parmenides said:
Code:

Life-to-date

PS2 5,596

PS1 4,944

Family Computer 1,047

PS3 357

GameCube 257

Nintendo 64 196

Wii 195

Code:
FY2009

PS2 224

PS3 122

Wii 42

Don't post bullshit numbers. Damn annoying. These forums are read by tens of thousands of people that will take this post as a fact at a glance. When you post something that is "definitive", give it a well respected source that everyone can agree upon, such as Garaph. For now we all know you just pulled these numbers out of your ass. Don't do it again.

Totobeni said:
isn't there a lot of western people in Japan ? US soldiers , embassies employees , guys living there like Sporks-sama ? (since I saw alot of pictures of US soldiers in Japan buying Halo 3 last years ) , not that I mean Japanese don't buy western games or hate them or anything but I think huge percent of that number went to foreign people who live in japan .

Not really just a few army bases here and there. I doubt that a few hundred of them even contributed to those sales. It's the same reason why games like Disgaea do decent here, a fanbase for foreign entertainment.

ccbfan said:
Man the 3rd party bombs on the Wii are starting to get pretty sad. Especially since a lot of them are good games.

Hopefully DQX announcement would preempt more core gamers to buy the system. (It'll be too late when its release 2011, 2012). Cause other wise until MH3 is release to build up that core gamer fanbase mid tier 3rd party games are pretty much sent to die on the system.

What third party bombs? 428 did fine, and Klonoa was a low budget remake of a 2 generation old game. I'm not saying that all third party games have done peachy on the Wii, but it isn't like this is a usual thing.

Tmac said:
Thats good numbers indeed.

Remember this is weekly numbers.

No, it's pulling pretty terrible numbers all around. It's only saving grace this holiday is going to be White Knight Stories, and who knows how much that really is going to sell.

Top Bottom