• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/01- 12/07

Parl

test_account said:
Isnt the DS Lite numbers included in those numbers since it says DS+ and not DSi? Or did they stop to track the DSL? I took them from the first post in this thread. I saw there was some DSL numbers some weeks ago atleast, but since it now says DS+ i assumed that this was a combination of the DSi and the DSL. But if it the DSL isnt included, then the DS is probably ahead of the PSP right now ye, that is true :)
DS didn't sell 100k more than PSP this week, it sold 133k more because of the DS Lite.

The DS+ number is for both DSI and DSL, you just missed adding DSL to DSi this week.

Frillen

The DS is now infront with 19k YTD wise vs the PSP.

I actually predict the DS will beat the PSP this week as well even though the PSP has Dissidia.

test_account said:
Isnt the DS Lite numbers included in those numbers since it says DS+ and not DSi? Or did they stop to track the DSL? I took them from the first post in this thread. I saw there was some DSL numbers some weeks ago atleast, but since it now says DS+ i assumed that this was a combination of the DSi and the DSL. But if it the DSL isnt included, then the DS is probably ahead of the PSP right now ye, that is true :)

Dsi 173,700
Wii 91,600
PSP 71,500
PS3 33,700
DSL 31,100
X360 11,800
PS2 6,700

Seriously, check your eye sight.

test_account

XP-39C²
Parl said:
DS didn't sell 100k more than PSP this week, it sold 133k more because of the DS Lite.

The DS+ number is for both DSI and DSL, you just missed adding DSL to DSi this week.
Frillen said:
The DS is now infront with 19k YTD wise vs the PSP.

I actually predict the DS will beat the PSP this week as well even though the PSP has Dissidia.

Dsi 173,700
Wii 91,600
PSP 71,500
PS3 33,700
DSL 31,100
X360 11,800
PS2 6,700
Ah ok, i didnt see that, sorry. Then the DS is ahead of the PSP when it comes to the YTD now ye :)

Frillen said:
Seriously, check your eye sight.
Are you angry because i didnt see it the first time?

Laguna

Banned
test_account said:
It is not really by that much though, atleast in my opinion. And the PSP was almost written off quite a while ago, so for the PSP to sell about the same as the DS in one year is a good accomplishment i would say :)

Actually PSP is doing nearly the same numbers as it did the last 2 years, the real reason that it looked like a resurgence was DSs lackluster hardware sales this year until now (compared to the years before.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Neh, sorry, just strange that you missed it twice :)
Ok, no problem :) Ye, sometimes it seems that i miss some of the numbers for some reason. Like when i checked the latest NPD numbers, i had to go back and and double check because i didnt remember the DS, the PSP and the PS2 numbers, eventhough that i did read through the numbers the first time. I guess i didnt read them too carefully.

I didnt try to ignore (or what i shall say) the DSL numbers when i mentioned the YTD earlier to make the PSP sales look better, since the numbers are posted and everyone can see them, and everyone can point out if i say something wrong (as i did) :) When i wrote my earlier posts, then i didnt double check the numbers, that is probably why i missed it twice, i am sorry about that :(

I will try to read the numbers atleast twice the next time before i add something up. I am Sorry about the missunderstanding and thanks for pointing it out! :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Graphics Horse said:
Given that the OP lists DSi as 12,700, it's kind of confusing...

OP is last week's numbers. The new numbers come in a while before the thread is made because of how inconsistent the leaks are for the new numbers.

botticus

Jonnyram said:
Great sales for Penguin no Mondai!!
Is that the same game that was in the top 10 DS games for the November NPD, or just coincidence to have two Penguin games?

Glad to see Taiko is off to as good a start as the DS games had.

Stumpokapow said:
OP is last week's numbers. The new numbers come in a while before the thread is made because of how inconsistent the leaks are for the new numbers.

I know that, but Chart Get has DSL as 12,100
OP has DSi as 12,700

Spiegel

Laguna said:
Actually PSP is doing nearly the same numbers as it did the last 2 years, the real reason that it looked like a resurgence was DSs lackluster hardware sales this year until now (compared to the years before.)

If doing nearly the same numbers is selling 2 million and ~800k (psp will finish at ~3800k at least ytd) more... then yeah, psp is doing nearly the same numbers

mc-14-handheld-YOY-YTD-105.png

This year psp is selling like ps2 did in its best year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Do you mean compared to the same week as last year or the whole year around (YTD)? If it is about the YTD, then it seems that 2008 is the year that most PSP hardware were sold :) I checked on garaph.info and i got this:

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php?...s[5]=&date[5]=&sfd[5]=&std[5]=&gr[5]=&tra[5]=

2004 = 482,252 (launched in December)

2005 = 2,200,710

2006 = 1,849,173

2007 = 3,069,465

2008 = 3,138,530 (missing 4 weeks, so the number will be higher).

These numbers are based on Media Create. Here are the Famitsu numbers:

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php?...s[5]=&date[5]=&sfd[5]=&std[5]=&gr[5]=&tra[5]=

The 2008 numbers are relatively close to the 2007 numbers though, i agree, but i think that some people thought that the PSP would end its LTD at around 6-7 million, and going by this, then i think it is a good preformance by the PSP atleast :)

EDIT: I see that Spiegel already posted some graphs :)

botticus said:
Is that the same game that was in the top 10 DS games for the November NPD, or just coincidence to have two Penguin games?

Glad to see Taiko is off to as good a start as the DS games had.

Where were the top 10 NPD for each platform posted?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
Is that the same game that was in the top 10 DS games for the November NPD?

No.

Club Penguin = some shitty Disney web site, knockoff of Neopets, that became a game.
Penguin no Mondai = some anime that became a game.

Laguna

Banned
Ok, I was a bit imprecise with my wording and basing little or large differences with DSs huge performance in Japan doesn´t help either. My point still stands.

The DS sold more than 6.000.000 more than PSP in 2006
The DS sold more than 4.000.000 more than PSP in 2007

The PSP sold this year 1.500.000 (4 weeks missing mind you) more than in 2006
The PSP sold this year ~500.000 (^^) more than last year.

While on the other hand the DS

sold 5.000.000 less this year than in 2006
and 4.000.000 less this year than last year.

I hope this clarifies my point and wording. :)

Laguna said:
Ok, I was a bit imprecise with my wording and basing little or large differences with DSs huge performance in Japan doesn´t help either. My point still stands.

The DS was selling more than 6.000.000 more than PSP in 2006
The DS was selling more than 4.000.000 more than PSP in 2007

Maybe in Japan these holds some water. But in the US and Europe the DS is selling better than ever, so negates any PSP increases there or any DS decreases.
Also the PSP doesn't sell whatsoever in Europe or the US

Laguna

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Maybe in Japan these holds some water. But in the US and Europe the DS is selling better than ever, so negates any PSP increases there or any DS decreases.
Also the PSP doesn't sell whatsoever in Europe or the US

That´s true. There are no recent numbers for European countries but I´ve seen the US sales and the DS is still selling like crazy while the PSP went afaik more and more down.

rpmurphy

Stumpokapow said:
well they're ahead YTD and they're ahead this week, so... yep :p

Oh, you're right. I was looking at the picture above and thinking it was this past week's. :p

I guess Nintendo timed things right for the DSi launch. Wonder if they predicted this? :lol

December 2nd week 2008

DS -204,800
Wii - 91,600
PSP - 71,500
PS3 - 33,700
X360 - 11,800
PS2 - 6,700

December 2nd week 2007 (thanks to garaph.info)

DS - 222,132
Wii - 170,558
PSP - 184,610
PS3 - 63,720
X360 - 8,561
PS2 - 18,025

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Moor-Angol said:
December 2nd week 2008

DS -204,800
Wii - 91,600
PSP - 71,500
PS3 - 33,700
X360 - 11,800
PS2 - 6,700

DS - 222,132
Wii - 170,558
PSP - 184,610
PS3 - 63,720
X360 - 8,561
PS2 - 18,025

PSP/Wii lost some steam.

Bananakin

Moor-Angol said:
December 2nd week 2008

DS -204,800
Wii - 91,600
PSP - 71,500
PS3 - 33,700
X360 - 11,800
PS2 - 6,700

DS - 222,132
Wii - 170,558
PSP - 184,610
PS3 - 63,720
X360 - 8,561
PS2 - 18,025

Wow...I knew things were down from last year, but that's crazy. I like how only the 360 went up - Microsoft to save Japan confirmed?

bttb said:
Media Create Sales: 12/08 - 12/14

01. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 105,900 / 105,900
02. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 97,700 / 587,000
03. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) - 94,500 / 629,400
04. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) - 63,100 / 341,700
05. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) - 59,000 / 59,000
06. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 57,600 / 492,000
07. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 57,500 / 2,066,300
08. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) - 45,200 / 1,289,400
09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 43,000 / 2,916,900
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 34,300 / 1,938,400

__. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) - 24,100 / 24,100

Dsi 173,700
Wii 91,600
PSP 71,500
PS3 33,700
DSL 31,100
X360 11,800
PS2 6,700

http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/2008/12/200812081214_f8a5.html

AC will be on the charts for a very very long time to come. I love have MK has been dropping by in Japan, North America and Yurop just to say hello :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
At least one 3rd party Wii game didn't bomb. I believe this first week for Taiko is higher than the 2 DS games.

Wii hardware rising, but not rising as much as last year.

PS3 hardware..well let me just say that if anyone says "PS3, holding steady" I'm going to lose it :lol

Loudninja

schuelma said:
At least one 3rd party Wii game didn't bomb. I believe this first week for Taiko is higher than the 2 DS games.

Wii hardware rising, but not rising as much as last year.

PS3 hardware..well let me just say that if anyone says "PS3, holding steady" I'm going to lose it :lol

Doe it really bother you that much?

Frillen

I find it funny that LoudNinja was actually initially going to say "PS3 is holding steady".

But yeah, saying the PS3 is holding steady in the second week of December as something positive is spin worse than SONY PR themselves.

Stumpokapow said:
jungle beat gcn did 50k week 1.

Hm. I’m not quite sure how to judge DKJBWii’s performance. I mean, 25k isn’t too great but when it’s basically a re-release minus one of the original’s main features (bongo peripheral and wacky controls) achieving half of the original’s first week isn’t too shabby.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:

The DS sold more than 6.000.000 more than PSP in 2006
The DS sold more than 4.000.000 more than PSP in 2007

Ye, i see what you mean :) I should have worded myself better earlier too, sorry. I didnt mean that the PSP sales only are good because that the PSP is almost selling as much as the DS. Even if the DS has sold twice as many units as the PSP this year, then i still think that the PSP preformance would have been good. I just ment that a system that someone had almost written off (like the PSP would slowly "die") maybe about 1-2 years ago, and then the PSP sells almost the same as the DS does in 2008, then i think that is a good preformance too :)

The DS has sold over 23 million units though, so it might not be too suprsing that the DS hardware sales are lower in 2008 compared to in 2007, because so many already own a DS. But i still think it is a good preformance by the PSP to almost match the DS sales in 2008, since the PSP is almost matching the most popular system in Japan (although that so many people already own a DS, it would look better if the PSP sold almost as much as the DS did in i.e 2006 or 2007, but still :)).

Vinnk

Cosmonaut X said:
Hm. I’m not quite sure how to judge DKJBWii’s performance. I mean, 25k isn’t too great but when it’s basically a re-release minus one of the original’s main features (bongo peripheral and wacky controls) achieving half of the original’s first week isn’t too shabby.

And when you consider that the porting team was probably a weeks work for some interns (hyperbole) it's not bad at all. I'm sure 25k has already made it worth doing.

Laguna

Banned
Selling more than Wii (YTD) is more than enough to say that PSP hardware sales are very good this year in Japan. But the software situation doesn´t seem to profit that much from this. But this is also due to lacking offerings. I don´t know, Patapon 2 and Loco Roco 2 as the biggest holiday releases from the first party-side isn´t exactly what I would call effort. If you know that 3rd parties prefer other systems for obvious reasons you should atleast support your own system but it seems like they don´t care that much.

lo zaffo

I expext Pikmin, Pikmin 2 and Mario Power Tennis to do a lot better than Donkey Kong Jungle Beat! I mean, I'm tempted to buy Pikmin 2 and Mario Power Tennis myself!

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Selling more than Wii (YTD) is more than enough to say that PSP hardware sales are very good this year in Japan. But the software situation doesn´t seem to profit that much from this. But this is also due to lacking offerings. I don´t know, Patapon 2 and Loco Roco 2 as the biggest holiday releases from the first party-side isn´t exactly what I would call effort. If you know that 3rd parties prefer other systems for obvious reasons you should atleast support your own system but it seems like they don´t care that much.
With "profit", do you mean sales numbers or which games that are comming out for the PSP, as in if more games comming out for the PSP is a profit since then there are more to play on the PSP? If you mean sales, then i think it is hard to know for us exactly how good or how bad the hard the software situation is with the PSP, or if it has improved anything compared to the 2 last years. For example, if you look at the last week's Famitsu Top 30 list in this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13958031&postcount=147

If you add up all the PSP numbers in the Top 30, then you will get 83.000 (i think i have calculated it right though, feel free to double check :)). If you add LocoRoco 2 which is outside the Top 30, then you will get 88.100.

If you look at the Dengeki total weekly numbers sales in this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13973502&postcount=224

Dengeki lists that PSP software sales for the same week as the Famitsu Top 30 that i mentioned over here are 182.969. That means that there is a difference 94.869 sales for the PSP that went "under the radar" for that week. I think that Famitsu and Dengeki are 2 different trackers though, but i would assume that the Famitsu and the Dengeki numbers in general are very different from eachother (i cant remember that i have really compared the Famitsu and the Dengeki numbers up to eachother before though, so i dont know, sorry :\).

Looking at the Famitsu Top 30 numbers, the PSP software sales doesnt seem to be very great, but looking at the Dengeki numbers, then it paints alittle different picture around the PSP sofware sales, atleast in my opinion.

Of course, this is just 1 week as an example, i didnt take the time to compare the other weeks, i just took the latest week as an example, so the situation might be alittle different if you compare all of the weeks. I just wanted to show that there is possible that some of the PSP software sales goes "under the radar", and that it might be a possibility that the PSP software sales are alittle better than we might think :)

I wish that we had some Dengeki total week numbers from the previous years as well (i dont think we have it atleast). Then it might have been easier to see if the PSP software situation has improved or not improved :)

Ye, i agree, it doesnt seem that Sony are making too much 1st party games for the PSP. Patapon 2 and Loco Roco 2 seems to be the 2 biggest Sony titles this holiday season indeed. I have seen someone calling Loco Roco 2, Loco Roco 1.1, so it doesnt seem that Sony put too much much into Loco Roco too, i agree. I dont know much about Patapon 2 though. I wonder if Sony will release more 1st party titles on the PSP in 2009 compared to what they have done this year and in the previous years. I dont think we will see many 1st party PSP games though :\

Famitsu

NDS: 215.000
Wii: 93.000

*NDSi: 186.000
*NDSL: 29.000

01.) Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Wii) - 114.000
02.) Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
03.) Kirby Super Star Ultra (NDS)
04.) Professor Layton and The Last Time Travel (NDS)
05.) Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (NDS) - 58.000
06.) Wagamama Fasion: Gals Mode (NDS)
07.) Pokémon Platinum (NDS)
08.) Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS)
09.) Wii Fit (Wii)
10.) Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World (PS2)

xx.) Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Wii) - 26.000
xx.) Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Wii de Asobu) (Wii) - 25.000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Captain Smoker said:
Right. :)

Famitsu numbers should be published tomorrow. :)

As always, much appreciated.

I live by the Famitsu top 30 :)

Top Bottom