• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/01- 12/07

Jonnyram said:
What? TvC bombed. There is no other way to call it. Bomb is a term we use to describe how disappointing the first figures are. If a game drops to half price and shows legs are you saying it is no longer a bomb?
Well, like I said I thought bomb was reserved to such hits like those I mentioned. TvC case, I think it'd be best to wait for week figures and if we're lucky sell through ratio. I also find its first day figures disappointing but I wouldn't call it a bomb, now if the week figures are 20k, the shipment is >70k, and it only gets there with heavy price slashes...then yeah, it'd be one really ugly bomb.

jesusraz

I'm slightly surprised that the first two Prof. Layton games haven't popped back into the Top 50, just like the first did when Pandora's Box came out last year...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jesusraz said:
I'm slightly surprised that the first two Prof. Layton games haven't popped back into the Top 50, just like the first did when Pandora's Box came out last year...

Maybe there just arent enough new copies left out there

Puncture said:
Right.... just like Animal Crossings rise to fame from the long legged DS version to the Wi.....wait.

Nope....

MH3 will perform right in line with the previous consoles versions. Having a popular handheld version does NOT CEMENT astonishing console sales for a series. It just doesn't. Never has. Never will.
It certainly doesn't always happen, but uhhh, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart would be my go-to examples of times when games originally for home consoles had a portable explosion and then brought it back to home consoles.

Mario Kart DS (214) blew away Super Circuit (648) and Double Dash (1212). However, Mario Kart Wii (2854) is doing even better.

It's very early to talk about legs for Animal Crossing City Folk (3281), but its early weeks are very near Wild World's (95), and far better than the earlier games.

cvxfreak

Looking at TvC, I'd like to make two observations:

1. REmake Wii might outsell it (lol)
2. Capcom should still release it at a budget price next year. Afterall, even Basara 2 Heroes was re-released.

Linkup

So the next console Mario is going to break 15 million? I like the sound of that.

The increase in handheld popularity/sales probably has something to do with MK/AC increase. The change in marketing by nintendo probably has something to do with it. The audience that new marketing has brought in probably has something to do with it. Then their is also the fact that MK and AC fans aren't quite the same as the MH fans nor are these games using online/multiplayer the same way. I'm not convinced console MH is going to have the experience that made so many people buy it for PSP especially in terms of online play. Are their any examples of somethings more along the lines of MH that has done the same as MK and AC?

Linkup said:
So the next console Mario is going to break 15 million? I like the sound of that.
SMG after NSMB could be a counterexample, though those are two branches of one franchise that play very differently while MKDS/MKWii and ACWW/ACCF have much more in common.
Are their any examples of somethings more along the lines of MH that has done the same as MK and AC?
Hmm. Off the top of my head I can't even think of anything that did so much better after a home->portable shift as those three.

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
SMG after NSMB could be a counterexample, though those are two branches of one franchise that play very differently while MKDS/MKWii and ACWW/ACCF have much more in common.

Hmm. Off the top of my head I can't even think of anything that did so much better after a home->portable shift as those three.

How about Phantasy Star Portable? It'll be extremely interesting to see how well the upcoming DS PS0 does too. From pretty shitty sales on consoles and PC to over 600k on the PSP is a pretty impressive leap.

RurouniZel said:
Add Prinny to this list. :(

Maybe 3rd party developers have to realize that it isn't the consoles fault why their games are flopping?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Game stores will usually carry the 360, but what really hurts it is that it's not in the department stores or anything. You can't get them at Ito Yokado or SATY or Jusco.

Ahh that's it. I knew you said something similar but I didn't want to bring you up because I thought that you'd get mad at me. :(

DENKO said:
428 is Machi series

Machi 
Sega Saturn 80.000
PS1 40.000
PSP 22.000

Wow looks like the game is doing quite well.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Maybe 3rd party developers have to realize that it isn't the consoles fault why their games are flopping?

Ahh that's it. I knew you said something similar but I didn't want to bring you up because I thought that you'd get mad at me. :(

Wow looks like the game is doing quite well.
I mean, what it comes down is that the 360 isn't in nearly as many stores as the PS3 and Wii, especially outside of the major cities.

Also, don't be afraid of making me angry. It's not like bad things happen to people that make me angry or anything. :p

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Segata Sanshiro said:
I mean, what it comes down is that the 360 isn't in nearly as many stores as the PS3 and Wii, especially outside of the major cities.

Also, don't be afraid of making me angry. It's not like bad things happen to people that make me angry or anything. :p

Yeah right...

(I had to do it...)

duckroll said:
How about Phantasy Star Portable? It'll be extremely interesting to see how well the upcoming DS PS0 does too. From pretty shitty sales on consoles and PC to over 600k on the PSP is a pretty impressive leap.
Yeah, good one. I guess I was only thinking of multi-millions.

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, good one. I guess I was only thinking of multi-millions.

I really want to see how PS-P sales affect PS0 (DS) sales. Realistically, I expect most gamers - especially in Japan, to have both a PSP and a DS. Brand loyalty aside (and let's face it, PSO/PSU has no brand loyalty - it's been everywhere), the popularity of PS-P should directly translate to PS0. It's on a system with a much larger installed base that's kinda lacking in this exact genre, and it's as fully featured if not more so. It even has online play.

If PS-P could break out of it's limited console/PC based mold and do over 600k on the PSP, there's a good chance this could be THE break out multiplayer RPG on the DS. If it is, it'll be even more interesting to see if the trend aids FFCC:EoT a month later.

t3nmilez

Segata Sanshiro said:
Game stores will usually carry the 360, but what really hurts it is that it's not in the department stores or anything. You can't get them at Ito Yokado or SATY or Jusco.

This is the same as the PS3 though, many of the family department stores only sell PS2/Wii/DS/PSP(?) from what I've seen. PS3 is probably at more stores than the 360 (I don't remember if Don Quixote sells 360, but def PS3), but it still isn't in the main light that the other systems are. The selection of games is usually very limited too.

Anyway, I did my part to buy Tatsunoko and Taiko Wii over the weekend. No problem finding Tatsunoko, Taiko was sold out at the Bic Camera so I had to run to a Tsutaya to grab it, which only had two copies left. Fantastic game, I'll be happy if the Wii becomes the new home for the series. Its success may also make other music games show up. I wouldn't be surprised if Konami decided to put the Pop 'N Music series on the Wii now, they already have DDR there.

iifu

Neo Member
duckroll said:
If PS-P could break out of it's limited console/PC based mold and do over 600k on the PSP, there's a good chance this could be THE break out multiplayer RPG on the DS. If it is, it'll be even more interesting to see if the trend aids FFCC:EoT a month later.
I wonder if Capcom shouldn't try to do something with Monster Hunter on DS. If PS0 is successful maybe they will.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Now now, they didn't make me angry. They just weren't playing SEGA Saturn, instead foolishly opting to enjoy an outdoor game of baseball. I mean, you guys are playing SEGA Saturn right now, right? Right?
If I answer no... I'll receive another beating... won't I?

Spiegel

bttb said:
Media Create Sales: 12/08 - 12/14

01. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 105,900 / 105,900

YEAH

bttb said:
__. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) - 24,100 / 24,100

Port incoming

bttb said:
Dsi 173,700
Wii 91,600
PSP 71,500
DSL 31,100

Psp needs games. Zwei wasn't a system seller. SHOCKING

Thank god Dissidia is next week.

test_account

XP-39C²
bttb said:
Media Create Sales: 12/08 - 12/14

01. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 105,900 / 105,900
02. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 97,700 / 587,000
03. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) - 94,500 / 629,400
04. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) - 63,100 / 341,700
05. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) - 59,000 / 59,000
06. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 57,600 / 492,000
07. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 57,500 / 2,066,300
08. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) - 45,200 / 1,289,400
09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 43,000 / 2,916,900
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 34,300 / 1,938,400

__. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) - 24,100 / 24,100

Dsi 173,700
Wii 91,600
PSP 71,500
PS3 33,700
DSL 31,100
X360 11,800
PS2 6,700

http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/2008/12/200812081214_f8a5.html
Thanks for the numbers! :)

After seeing these numbers, it seems to me that the christmas shopping has pretty much started to take effect now, atleast on the hardware numbers :) Some of the Wii and the DS games seems to have sold more compared to the last numbers as well?

Great sales all round for everything except poor TvsC. It made reasonable ground on its first day sales, but I’d hoped for a first week figure around twice what it achieved.

How much has the gap shrunk between the PSP and DS for yearly totals? Must be almost within grasp of the DS by now…

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I don't keep up with the sales stuff much these days, but...

I'm amazed that the DS(i) is still selling so strong despite already having shifted millions more than the PS2. It's incredible.

And games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, MKDS and NSMB are still in the charts!

HA HA HA
Seems as though Nintendo got pissed with the charts the last few weeks.
DSi sales are :eek:
Wii sales are :D
Top ten sales are :O

Order in Japan is restored
Nintendoland.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
Great sales all round for everything except poor TvsC. It made reasonable ground on its first day sales, but I’d hoped for a first week figure around twice what it achieved.

How much has the gap shrunk between the PSP and DS for yearly totals? Must be almost within grasp of the DS by now…
YTD in bold text:

DS+ | 138,800 | 114,036 | 449,145 | 3,242,226 | 24,415,280
PSP | 54,800 | 55,090 | 209,269 | 3,356,782 | 11,021,859

Last week the PSP was leading with about 110k on the Media Create numbers. This week the DS sold about 100k more than the PSP, so the YTD for the DS and the PSP is about the same right now. The DS will sell more hardware than the PSP this year. It is not really by that much though, atleast in my opinion. And the PSP was almost written off quite a while ago, so for the PSP to sell about the same as the DS in one year is a good accomplishment i would say :)

test_account said:
YTD in bold text:

DS+ | 138,800 | 114,036 | 449,145 | 3,242,226 | 24,415,280
PSP | 54,800 | 55,090 | 209,269 | 3,356,782 | 11,021,859

Last week the PSP was leading with about 110k on the Media Create numbers. This week the DS sold about 100k more than the PSP, so the YTD for the DS and the PSP is about the same right now. The DS will sell more hardware than the PSP this year. It is not really by that much though, atleast in my opinion. And the PSP was almost written off quite a while ago, so for the PSP to sell about the same as the DS in one year is a good accomplishment i would say :)

DS is winning if you include the DSL.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
How much do you think Tatsunoko actually cost?

The game is pretty and has the Tatsunoko license, but was that really costly?

I wonder how many copies Capcom has to sell to break even.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man DS is such a FUCKING Monster.....incredible after 25 Mil unit sold - selling 200K ? :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Stopsign said:
DS is winning if you include the DSL.
Isnt the DS Lite numbers included in those numbers since it says DS+ and not DSi? Or did they stop to track the DSL? I took those numbers from the first post in this thread. I saw there was some DSL numbers some weeks ago atleast, but since it now says DS+ i assumed that this was a combination of the DSi and the DSL. But if it the DSL isnt included, then the DS is probably ahead of the PSP right now ye, that is true :)

Top Bottom