• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

EDarkness

fistfulofmetal said:
Did anyone think Uncharted would do anything in Japan?

Apparently some people did.

I wont worry about NMH since I think it's real draw will be in overseas markets. There was no way it was going to sell well in Japan.

Pachael

Sharp said:

No More Heroes, methinks.

duckroll said:
Yup, I think it's time Namco stopped this foolishness and moved the Tales series back to the systems that actually buy them. :p

Namco games do very well on the PSP and they've given it great support - they should know that ;p

Meier

duckroll said:
Ace Combat 6 outsold it by like 20k just a few weeks back. :lol

I knew I remembered seeing another 360 game recently do more than 55k. That's pretty darn sad.. hopefully for MS and Sakaguchi's sake, it does better in the West than Blue Dragon (it should presumably).

Those Tales sales are very disappointing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
angelfly said:
Certain games do very on it in Japan.

A very select few

And its Namco's fault for poisoning the well with Tempest, you reap what you sow. Tales is a series without a platform right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
A very select few

And its Namco's fault for poisoning the well with Tempest, you reap what you sow. Tales is a series without a platform right now.

I really don't think so. Let's look at the facts:
(1) Namco releases TotT, it sucks, it does poorly.
(2) Namco announces that the DS is the new Tales platform of choice to much surprise, because of (1)
(3) Namco ships only 150k Tales of Innocence for week one, indicating that they know it's not going to do that well at first.

Namco is the dumbest company ever, but I don't think that they're so dumb as to not realize that if they can overcome TotT, the DS could actually be a decent platform for Tales. ToI has been getting some great (anecdotal) reviews, and I expect it'll be leggier than most Tales games by virtue of the fact that goodwill is being relied on to restore the brand as it relates to the DS.

Lightning

Banned
I really wonder why Mistwalker are accepting Microsoft's money to send these games to die one after another. I think that Sakaguchi needs to get some perspective and make games on the Wii so that Japan can buy them. Clearly the only problem with Lost Odyssey is that it's on the 360.

You see, I don't think anyone knows or cares about LO in Japan. As soon as they found out the platform the interest was dead. Unless Mistwalker want the reputation of creating bombs for money they need to drop the 360 for a platform that their games can sell on and do it fast. They are doing their name, their company, no favors at all by making games exclusive on the 360 to die. I don't care if the 360 want to keep throwing money down the toilet in a attempt to get into Japan but it sucks that they will destroy the reputation of a very talented development team while doing it.

For Christ sake, get some perspective, make a Wii game and market the fuck out of it to get some sales and your company name in everyones mind.

Those Lost Odyssey numbers are a disgrace, no one can deny it.

Other then that, pretty average week.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hero said:
I told people Wii Fit would boost SMG a bit.

How about holiday sales and possible price collapses...the Wii Fit effect is being exagerrated in an attempt to justify a non game as helping so called "real" games

john tv

Remember the days when it was rare if more than one or two games from a Nintendo console made it into the top ten? Times have sure changed...

Defuser

Lightning said:
I really wonder why Mistwalker are accepting Microsoft's money to send these games to die one after another. I think that Sakaguchi needs to get some perspective and make games on the Wii so that Japan can buy them. Clearly the only problem with Lost Odyssey is that it's on the 360.

You see, I don't think anyone knows or cares about LO in Japan. As soon as they found out the platform the interest was dead. Unless Mistwalker want the reputation of creating bombs for money they need to drop the 360 for a platform that their games can sell on and do it fast. They are doing their name, their company, no favors at all by making games exclusive on the 360 to die. I don't care if the 360 want to keep throwing money down the toilet in a attempt to get into Japan but it sucks that they will destroy the reputation of a very talented development team while doing it.

For Christ sake, get some perspective, make a Wii game and market the fuck out of it to get some sales and your company name in everyones mind.

Those Lost Odyssey numbers are a disgrace, no one can deny it.

Other then that, pretty average week.
MistWalker studio was set up due to Microsoft financial backing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What the hell is Team Symphonia doing anyway?

I want a proper console Tales goddammit. Wii or 360, though, for my own selfish purposes.

I'm really not seeing the logic that makes abandoning the DS because of a stupid decision that the company made with a previous title at all sensible. It's pretty obvious that Namco had TotT shit out expecting crap to sell on the DS, got torched for it, and is now making amends.

Lightning

Banned
Defuser said:
MistWalker studio was set up due to Microsoft financial backing.
And if they keep their current path they will die with Microsoft in Japan because their name means shit to Japan while their games are on the 360.

If Microsoft had half a brain they would allow the development of a major MistWalker a major title on a platform that can sell just to get the name "MistWalker" in everyones mind so that their own games can fucking sell.

I care nothing for the 360, but seeing this complete rejection happen to the creator of my favorite FFVII saddens me greatly.

Lightning said:
And if they keep their current path they will die with Microsoft in Japan because their name means shit to Japan while their games are on the 360.

If Microsoft had half a brain they would allow the development of a major MistWalker title
on a platform that can sell just to get the name "MistWalker" in everyones mind so that their own games can fucking sell.

I care nothing for the 360, but seeing this complete rejection happen to the creator of my favorite FFVII saddens me greatly.
To be fair, MistWalker has released a game for the DS, ie the hottest system in Japan, which has also met with completely underwhelming sales. I'm not sure the problem is completely the 360's.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Mario & Sonic is pulling a Brain Training! Look at it fly!
I had a feeling it would. I think it would have done far better at launch if Sega had pitched it properly as a Wii Sports spiritual successor.

tanod

when is my burrito
Lightning said:

If Microsoft had half a brain they would allow the development of a major MistWalker a major title on a platform that can sell just to get the name "MistWalker" in everyones mind so that their own games can fucking sell.

It's Sakaguchi's fault for hiring developers who can't seem to make a polished RPG.

EDarkness

Lightning said:

I can agree with this. Something needs to change and soon, because at this rate they're not doing themselves any favors.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
Nice sales for Galaxy, Layton, and DQ. Some disparity with Famitsu, there...

Very much so on the DQ and Layton numbers...its like they switched gains between the two trackers

Segata Sanshiro said:
To be fair, MistWalker has released a game for the DS, ie the hottest system in Japan, which has also met with completely underwhelming sales. I'm not sure the problem is completely the 360's.

Actually it's Microsoft's fault.
:D

legend166

I think there's probably two 360 crowds in Japan. Westerners who buy western games (Halo), and the hardest of the hardcore Japanese otaku's or whatever, who buy Blue Dragon and stuff. Ace Combat most likely sold relatively well because it appealed to both crowds.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:

Unfortunately ASH had several roadblocks that impeded its success...hopefully Away and BD DS dont have the same problems

duckroll

Hey! Shadow Hearts From the New World did 52k in the first week.... I guess for the Nautilus crew 55k for LO is a slight improvement! :lol

Bebpo

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm really not seeing the logic that makes abandoning the DS because of a stupid decision that the company made with a previous title at all sensible. It's pretty obvious that Namco had TotT shit out expecting crap to sell on the DS, got torched for it, and is now making amends.

Well the Tales fanbase doesn't like the franchise being on a hardware that can't live up to expectations the series has had for almost 10 years now. That isn't going to help sales...

Until they start going to carts the size of at least a few cds, Tales games on DS will keep on getting gimped with lack of voice acting, one of the major reasons why the games do well in Japan. Tempest had no voice, and Innocence has voice for the story, but the skits (where the majority of the dialogue is) are only about 10% voiced because of space concerns.

If they moved Tales to at least Wii where they could do full voice like pretty much EVERY GAME IN THE SERIES for 10 years the sales should go up noticeably.

iidesuyo

Lightning said:

They'd rather go for PS2 than for Wii. There they can sell some units.

ZealousD

Lightning said:

ASH on DS? Yeah, that bomba'd too.

duckroll said:
Hey! Shadow Hearts From the New World did 52k in the first week.... I guess for the Nautilus crew 55k for LO is a slight improvement! :lol

And didn't Shadow Hearts FtNW release on a system with 800 times the userbase?

Jammy

Banned
I think Namco's fine with Tales of Innocence's sales on the DS. With the DS you don't have the development costs you do as on the PSP, not to mention that you're going up against quite a lot of competition on the DS (15 other games to be exact this week, many of them returning).

I think Namco's also counting on Innocence to have legs, something PSP games rarely have.

EDarkness

Segata Sanshiro said:

I really wanted to like ASH, but if they would have simply went with basic turn based combat, it would have been much better. Still, I doubt they put that much money into it, so they probably walked away with good gains all the way around. Which would help fund other projects. Mistwalker does kinda need to figure out what makes a good game in some way, but I can't imagine these 360 experiments being profitable or good for their image.

ZealousD

Bebpo said:
Well the Tales fanbase doesn't like the franchise being on a hardware that can't live up to expectations the series has had for almost 10 years now. That isn't going to help sales...

Until they start going to carts the size of at least a few cds, Tales games on DS will keep on getting gimped with lack of voice acting, one of the major reasons why the games do well in Japan. Tempest had no voice, and Innocence has voice for the story, but the skits (where the majority of the dialogue is) are only about 10% voiced because of space concerns.

If they moved Tales to at least Wii where they could do full voice like pretty much EVERY GAME IN THE SERIES for 10 years. The sales should go up noticeably.

Really? You're serious? Voice acting?

America has been dealing without voice in the skits in both Symphonia and Abyss and it didn't stop either of those from being great. Is Japan really so sensitive about voice acting?

Jammy said:
I think Namco's fine with Tales of Innocence's sales on the DS. With the DS you don't have the development costs you do as on the PSP, not to mention that you're going up against quite a lot of competition on the DS (15 other games to be exact this week, many of them returning).

I think Namco's also counting on Innocence to have legs, something PSP games rarely have.
:lol
I reaaaallly doubt it.

Which 'it'? All of it.

Top Bottom