• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 16 - 22 Oct

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
soundwave05 said:
At this point whether or not FF3 hits 1 million is basically a formality at best. It'll get to 900k at least and Square Enix will probably have shipped a bit more than that to retailers.

The whole hub bub about FF3 was to see if it would have good sales and Square Enix would support the DS moreso.

With all the Square Enix DS announcements the past few weeks even that has now become a moot point. Clearly SE is in bed with one of the handheld platforms, and it ain't the PSP.

The question now is whether or not that will translate into additional support for the Wii beyond the obligatory DQ and FF spinoffs. The Wii needs the whold shabang.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm guessing it's a mistake, but why does Media Create list FFIII for 22,780yen?

Rock_Man

Famitsu weekly software sales shares 2006

famitsusw2lw6.png

Furoba

kisakiproject said:
There goes the 360 trend up. BTW according to M-create #s 360 just passed 150k. LTD 150,951

Wow, just barely past the number Xbox sold on it's first week in Japan! :lol

I can see them selling the same number in Japan, but they really need more in order to break past that. If only they had pushed certain titles last generation (True Fantasy Live to name one)...

First day numbers (unconfirmed - from sinobi)
NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 70.000
NDS Tales of the Tempest - 60.000 (30%)
PS2 Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood - (no numbers, some sellouts, good %)
PS2 Utoyoyaku - 50.000
PSP Ace Combat X Skies of Deception - 30.000
NDS Gyakuten Saiban 2 The Best - 20.000
PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku The Best - 20.000

Its mostly translated stuff from sinobi, there could be errors...I hope there aren't.

and again, the DSL sells more than twice all the other systems put together. it didn't manage it last week, but it's scary how that's almost become the status quo.

it's going to be interesting to see what hardware charts look like in a few months when the PS3 and Wii are added into the mix. there's no way the DS is going to keep on being over half of the hardware sales once Wii and PS3 become readily available.

if it did... that would be unthinkable.

plagiarize said:
and again, the DSL sells more than twice all the other systems put together. it didn't manage it last week, but it's scary how that's almost become the status quo.

it's going to be interesting to see what hardware charts look like in a few months when the PS3 and Wii are added into the mix. there's no way the DS is going to keep on being over half of the hardware sales once Wii and PS3 become readily available.

if it did... that would be Easter.

Fixed.

Thanks for Slime Mori Mori 2 LTD.

And I think the threads are winding down in popularity. We need the system launches to come around and shake things up.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So they shipped 200K units eh? I hope it doesn't sell much more than 60K for the week, maybe 65K... hopefully that's low enough to discourage this half-assed effort from namco!

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 70.000
PS2 Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood - (no numbers, some sellouts, good %)
PS2 Utoyoyaku - 50.000
PSP Ace Combat X Skies of Deception - 30.000
NDS Gyakuten Saiban 2 The Best - 20.000
PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku The Best - 20.000

Its mostly translated stuff from sinobi, there could be errors...I hope there aren't.

20,000 is respectable for GS2, certainly. I'm surprised General Knowledge Training 'only' sold 70,000 on its first day...and also quite surprised Namco only shipped 200,000 this week for TotT. Perhaps it was wary because of the quality issue?

enishi

jesusraz said:
20,000 is respectable for GS2, certainly. I'm surprised General Knowledge Training 'only' sold 70,000 on its first day...and also quite surprised Namco only shipped 200,000 this week for TotT. Perhaps it was wary because of the quality issue?

There is GS2 Best Price GBA selling at a lower price in Japan. Apart from English lovers, new players and GS-extreme lovers (also importers), the sale base is much smaller than GS1 DS.

Promotion of General Knowledge Training is much less than Brain Training 2. It should be some sleeper-hit like BT1 until Christmas 2008.

TotT is already on big sales in some Japanese shops :lol It may help them sell a bit more.

donny2112

Famitsu Oct 9-15

1. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 291178 / 2311331
2. GBA Final Fantasy V Advance 147170 / NEW
3. PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo 77455 / 320311
4. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 39915 / 3228309
5. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 38906 / 157027
6. PS2 Bleach Blade Battlers 26229 / NEW
7. NDS Brain Training 2 25553 / 3318779
8. PS2 Minna no Tennis 24481 / 420050
9. PSP Gundam Battle Royale 21649 / 75018
10. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 18775 / 3275942
11. NDS Final Fantasy III 18171 / 816621
12. NDS Cooking Navi! 12746 / 548686
13. NDS English Training 11115 / 1368351
14. NDS Tamagotchi 2 11076 / 541049
15. PS2 Driver: Parallel Lines 10693 / NEW
16. NDS Brain Training 10216 / 2796045
17. NDS Tingle RPG 9727 / 158600
18. PS2 Sangokushi 11 9628 / 60088
19. GBA Rhythm Tengoku 9172 / 191705
20. NDS Mario Kart DS 8861 / 1593859
21. PS2 .hack//G.U. Vol.2 8282 / 121453
22. NDS Tetris DS 6993 / 865243
23. NDS Mario Hoops 3-on-3 7249 / 326120
24. PS2 Minna no Golf 4 (BEST) 4920 / 166567
25. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 4618 / 82368
26. PS2 Daito Giken Pachislot Hihouden 4512 / 101516
27. GBA Pokemon Emerald 4239 / 1781808
28. PS2 Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkyaku Rouman Tan'enjou! Kyoto Rinne 4066 / 116825
29. NDS Gintama DS: Banji Ousoudou! 3946 / 45806
30. NDS Brain Stress: Head Scan 3653 / 63375

TiVo said:
If DS Lite keeps up with the 100,000+ it will have sold more than the PS3 when it is released?

I think you mean the week the PS3 is released.

I could see Nintendo releasing a press statement saying the DSLite was the best selling unit for that week on the week of the PS3 launch. :lol

Edit: :p at magicpaint

Pureauthor said:
I think you mean the week the PS3 is released.

I could see Nintendo releasing a press statement saying the DSLite was the best selling unit for that week on the week of the PS3 launch. :lol

Fixed. :D

Ok guys, more accurate figures for first day sales! With digestibility rates!

First day numbers (unconfirmed)

NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 75.000 (16%)
NDS Tales of the Tempest - 59.000 (32%)
PS2 Utoyoyaku (Utawarerumono?) - 40.000 (70%)
PSP Ace Combat X Skies of Deception - 30.000 (60%)
PS2 Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood - 24.000 (40%)
PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku The Best - 15.000 (35%)
NDS Gyakuten Saiban 2 The Best - 13.000 (30%)
PSP Shinobido Homura - 2.500 (25%)

Well, not many changes, seems the new training game shipments was approx 470.000 units O_O while Tempest was around 185k.
Utawarerumono or whatever-game-is-that sales are split between normal and le edition, I think the 40k doesn't have the normal or the other one so it doesn't match the 50k figure.
Only 50k ACX shipment it seems, but selling very well, better than Ridge Racer 2 anyway.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 75.000 (16%)

Cooking Navi! sold 127K its first week. I think this game will perform comparably to that. For reference, Cooking Navi! is at 549K as of last week according to Famitsu.

Edit:
Even better, Cooking Navi!'s first day sales were 73K with 35% of stock sold through. :lol

donny2112 said:
Cooking Navi! sold 127K its first week. I think this game will perform comparably to that. For reference, Cooking Navi! is at 549K as of last week according to Famitsu.

Edit:
Even better, Cooking Navi!'s first day sales were 73K with 35% of stock sold through. :lol
Yeah Nintendo stock (games) normally sell on weekends, so i expect decent 1st week sales

cvxfreak

Nice start for Common Knowledge Training. It'll eventually burn through its shipment before the holidays and perhaps sell 100K each week in December or so.

Tales seems a bit disappointing, but handheld Tales games never perform as well as the console counterparts, so if it capped out at 200K it should be pretty good.

Good start for Ace Combat X, and Ryu ga Gotoku and Gyakuten Saiban 2 are excellent for re-releases. The latter should have pretty long legs.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
Tales seems a bit disappointing, but handheld Tales games never perform as well as the console counterparts, so if it capped out at 200K it should be pretty good.

I imagine the issue is less a matter of console vs. handheld and more related to the quality issues plaguing Tempest.

In looking at some other handheld RPGs for comparison's sake (such as Digimon, Mana, etc.)... if they had put a real, serious effort into this game, I think we could've seen it sell extremely well -- the 400k range. But that is not to be.

Calidor

cvxfreak said:

really? I don't know but 60k units in just 1 day seems pretty good to me, considering that the initial shipment is just 200k

Calidor said:
really? I don't know but 60k units in just 1 day seems pretty good to me, considering that the initial shipment is just 200k
No, its not at all. Going by usual tales performance, it'll have trouble just to hit the first shipment. It was mentioned in one of the websites that tempest has bad reputation...

We'll see but I think its going to be difficult for Tempest to come near Eternia PSP port...not to mention to any new main entry game in the series, ToS GC being the lowest with above 300k.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ouch @ the portable games bombing. Especially Gyakuten Saiban 2, guess no new content really hurt Capcom this time. Hope we still get GS3. :(

ethelred said:
I imagine the issue is less a matter of console vs. handheld and more related to the quality issues plaguing Tempest.

In looking at some other handheld RPGs for comparison's sake (such as Digimon, Mana, etc.)... if they had put a real, serious effort into this game, I think we could've seen it sell extremely well -- the 400k range. But that is not to be.

Digimon did an impressive amount considering it's DIGIMON. I would have never expected it to do over 180,000. Actually, I didn't expect it to go over 100k. So it get ss (b^.^)b

Mana at first I was disappointed with it's 200k sales considering the beautiful artwork and its release with the DSlite. But now it's rearing ~ 300k (What is it 290,000?) and that's perfectly fine for the game.

Tales.... if it was a game that got straight 9s out of Famitsu I would have been disappointed with a first week sales of less than 130k. But considering the bad rep its' received, 60,000 the first day isn't too bad. I hope Namco didn't show the games artwork in the commercials, because that's what probably resulted in the less-than stellar sales in the first place.

Also, I kind of want the game to sell decent (at least 200k) just so Namco will be convinced to try again on the DS.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 75.000 (16%)NDS Tales of the Tempest - 59.000 (32%)
PS2 Utoyoyaku (Utawarerumono?) - 40.000 (70%)
PSP Ace Combat X Skies of Deception - 30.000 (60%)
PS2 Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood - 24.000 (40%)
PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku The Best - 15.000 (35%)
NDS Gyakuten Saiban 2 The Best - 13.000 (30%)
PSP Shinobido Homura - 2.500 (25%)

16% is low for a first day's sales, but we know that the Touch generation sells overall in the long term.

LanceStern said:
Tales.... if it was a game that got straight 9s out of Famitsu I would have been disappointed with a first week sales of less than 130k. But considering the bad rep its' received, 60,000 the first day isn't too bad. I hope Namco didn't show the games artwork in the commercials, because that's what probably resulted in the less-than stellar sales in the first place.

Also, I kind of want the game to sell decent (at least 200k) just so Namco will be convinced to try again on the DS.
I agree with your first paragraph but I don't with the second to an extent.

Eternia PSP is a port and made 240k, that made Namco put 3 more tales games on PSP, changing The World from GBA to PSP, and two more ports. The first one of this 3 games is the 4th version of Phantasia and it just broke 100k.

Tempest otoh, is an outsourced game but still seems to be labeled/oriented as a new main entry rather than a spinoff or such. 200k for it would be good, but considering that seems just a little more than the first shipment, I don't think Namco will think so.

Actually, for a better comparison, Narikiri Dungeon on GB broke 150k, Narikiri Dungeon 2 on GBA broke 185k and Narikiri Dungeon 3 on GBA broke 110k. All 3 spinoffs subseries. Thats why I think that if Tempest just makes it to its first shipment (180k-200k), Namco is not going to be pleased with it. Anyway, I expect Narikiri Dungeon 4 to appear on DS, since ToW PSP is labeled different so they could have that card to use yet.

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Anyway, I expect Narikiri Dungeon 4 to appear on DS, since ToW PSP is labeled different so they could have that card to use yet.

The Dimps logo is one of the main things that hits you when you start TotT...But from what I've played so far, I'm enjoying it far more than some would believe. Not the best Tales, but still damn fun (after two hours, anyway).

And yes, I agree that Narikiri 4 will likely be on DS...it just makes sense. But then again, will it make sense to Namcai-Bando?

ethelred

Square2005 said:
Expect the same or more for Dimand & Purl...

jesusraz said:
The Dimps logo is one of the main things that hits you when you start TotT...But from what I've played so far, I'm enjoying it far more than some would believe. Not the best Tales, but still damn fun (after two hours, anyway).

And yes, I agree that Narikiri 4 will likely be on DS...it just makes sense. But then again, will it make sense to Namcai-Bando?

I don't see any reason to think that Narikiri Dungeon 4 will be on the DS.

The usual

GBASP at 34 weeks: 1.73M
DSL at 34 weeks: 5.11M
Time for GBASP to reach 5.11M: 104 weeks (2 years)

"GBA after SP" at 34 weeks: 464K
"DS after DSL" at 34 weeks: 482K
Time for "GBA after SP" to rach 482K: 37 weeks

DS at 34 weeks: 2.69M
PSP at 34 weeks: 1.56M
GBM at 34 weeks: 504K

Graphically

Barf_the_Mog said:
What does GAF do if the DS sells under 100k?
Play Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Branduil said:
I just realized the DS sells more in some weeks than the 360 has sold lifetime in Japan. Wow.
Well, DS has also had a week where it outsold the lifetime sales of the original Xbox, but at least that was in December.

Top Bottom