• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/11 - 2/17

Laguna

Banned
Winning Eleven flopped as expected (for obvious reasons - off-season release, little to no marketing, missed opportunity to establish this series on Nintendo consoles last gen, release directly after SSBM and last but not least the missing option to play this game with it´s classic gameplay). Musou Orochi didn´t do good either. It´s a shame that we didn´t got numbers for the PSP Musou Orochi bundle.

fresquito

If the shipment is 70k, selling about 30% on first day can't really be a bad thing.

In line with what I expected. Hope it has legs.

WE wii numbers are not bad at all, it's important to see how the game has been accepted by users, if most of early adopters don't like the gameplay, in the next days many used copies will fill the market and sales will slow.

FYI WE6fe first week on GC was 6k, LTD was around 18k and in any case below 32k cause it was the last entry in 2003 Famitsu chart ;)

20k is not too shabby for a new Franchise on the Wii with a different set of game play. Word of mouth will help this game sell in Japan. I predict 450k when all is said and done

norinrad21 said:
20k is not too shabby for a new Franchise on the Wii with a different set of game play. Word of mouth will help this game sell in Japan. I predict 450k when all is said and done

Not a hope. Please, please, please be realistic about these things...

ethelred

duckroll said:
Some day 1 sales from Sinobi:

EO2 = 50k, 50% of shipment sold
Musou Orochi PSP = 25k
WE Wii = 20k

Lost Planet PS3 = 10k
Bioshock = 10k

50k for Etrian Odyssey on its first day? Holy crap, that's fantastic. That's just over 40% of the first game's total sales. Very excellent.

norinrad21 said:
20k is not too shabby for a new Franchise on the Wii with a different set of game play.

"New franchise on Wii." lollerskates. Never change, norinrad.

Laguna said:
Winning Eleven flopped as expected (for obvious reasons - off-season release, little to no marketing, missed opportunity to establish this series on Nintendo consoles last gen, release directly after SSBM and last but not least the missing option to play this game with it´s classic gameplay).

Little to no marketing? Every JGAffer says the game was heavily marketed. I call bullshit.
Missed opportunity on Nintendo consoles last gen? They put the series on Nintendo consoles last gen, but no one gave a crap about GameCube games because the machine was a crashing failure.
Release directly after SSBM? Well, games flopped before SSBM's release, games flop after it -- please suggest a timeframe!
No option to use classic gameplay? Hah. What do you people want? You ask for games to be redesigned from the ground up for Wii and say it's fine for them to flop when you get straight PS2 ports that don't take advantage of Wii's strengths... but when a game does and bombs, you say it should've done the opposite.

Laguna

Banned
No, way this will sell 450k LTD ;) Even with blind faith you shouldn´t expect more than 180k LTD. You should consider that if their will be a next entry, it will be released with the other versions later this year and thus kill its "legs" (which it won´t have the first place).

kurosawa

ethelred said:
No option to use classic gameplay? Hah. What do you people want? You ask for games to be redesigned from the ground up for Wii and say it's fine for them to flop when you get straight PS2 ports that don't take advantage of Wii's strengths... but when a game does and bombs, you say it should've done the opposite.

The game is fine as it is. There could be (and shouldn't be) no option for classic gameplay.
Let's see how it sells this and next week. That will give us an indication of what to hope for the game.

It's hard to say a game bombs on the Wii with first day sales. Look at Family Ski.

ethelred said:
"New franchise on Wii." lollerskates. Never change, norinrad.

Well, in a way it is kinda new - it's quite a drastic change to the series, so much so that quite a few PES players on the board here and elsewhere are looking at it as an offshoot rather than Wii PES200x.

Little to no marketing? Every JGAffer says the game was heavily marketed. I call bullshit.

Actually, I think what those JGAF posters who have commented have said is that it got a reasonable push, but all in the last week or so (I believe Vinnk or swerve noted it had an increased store presence and was being more heavily trailed on Everybody’s Nintendo) so it’s less a case of poor/no ads and more that they may have hit a little late.

Innotech said:
I dunno. By historical perspectives, even the Wii is expensive.
Gamecube launched at 200$ and never made these kinds of #s.
Its beyond price now. Japan has pretty clearly chosen a console to support.

Maybe Japan has chosen its home system, but Third Parties haven't.

Laguna

Banned
ethelred said:
Missed opportunity on Nintendo consoles last gen? They put the series on Nintendo consoles last gen, but no one gave a crap about GameCube games because the machine was a crashing failure.
Release directly after SSBM? Well, games flopped before SSBM's release, games flop after it -- please suggest a timeframe!

30% sellthrough is shit-awful. Expect price slashing soon.

At least you made me smile. I know what JGaffers wrote about its marketing and thats far away from heavily marketed. They saw some in-shop marketing thats all. Oh I forgot they also wrote it was put a little more effort in it than other 3rd Party Wii games, what an achievment :D And yes looking at SSBB sales and its longevity (gameplaywise) it steals away money and more importent time. You know most people like to finish their games before they get a new one ;)
Last but not least Konami put only one WE game on GC (2002?) it flopped and they didn´t even bother to even try to establish the series with new entries. They were so dumb that they didn´t even released this game in Europe. That´s pretty much the definition of laziness combined with dumbness.

Innotech

Banned
I still dont see the big deal about this game. I dont even know WHAT it is or why people like it. What the hell is WE? It better not be a sports game.

ethelred

kurosawa said:
It's hard to say a game bombs on the Wii with first day sales. Look at Family Ski.

Maybe. I'm not sure that's the most solid analogy, though, given that this is one of the few platinum franchises in Japan and Family Ski is... well, Family Ski.

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, in a way it is kinda new - it's quite a drastic change to the series, so much so that quite a few PES players on the board here and elsewhere are looking at it as an offshoot rather than Wii PES200x.

There still seems to be a contradictory mentality to me here. Yes, it's quite a drastic change to the series -- if you take any existing franchise and rework their controls from the ground up so that they're designed around the Wii, it's going to be a drastic change. But we still here all the time that developers "aren't supporting" the Wii because they're not putting their big franchises on it developed in just such a way. Well, take any big franchise and make it so it's genuinely a Wii game, and this is just what you'll get -- something that after the fact can be called an "offshoot" or a spinoff rather than a successor game.

It's a very nicely developed catch-22 here that's been created for developers, where they're fucked no matter what they do.

Innotech

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Maybe Japan has choses its home system, but Third Parties haven't.
Third parties chose HD systems at the start. They put their eggs in that basket and now they sink or swim with it. A lot of the smaller companies are going with the wii and they matter a lot in keeping a system afloat between large releases.

cvxfreak

Winning Eleven 2008 Playmaker being "heavily marketed" is an overstatement. Like 90% of games with well-known pedigrees or high expectations, stores will show videos, and have the game cases out and occasionally a stand explaining the game. Other third party Wii games in recent memory that had this were Umbrella Chronicles and We Love Golf.

If anything, the Wii version's push is nothing next to the previous console versions, and about on-par with the PSP version. I'm also more curious about this version's performance in Europe for obvious reasons.

RJT

Innotech said:
I still dont see the big deal about this game. I dont even know WHAT it is or why people like it. What the hell is WE? It better not be a sports game.
It is the first RTS game on Wii. You control your squad of units using the pointer, and try to defeat your opponent.

It is also a sports game.

Vagabundo

Innotech said:

Winning Eleven. It seems to have decent effort in it on the Wii version. People hope it tanks/does well depending on their HD googles..

Football man, real football not the US sissy stuff..

stilgar

Innotech said:
there are no RTS gamers on consoles. Seriously, what is WE?

I am astonished by your irony; besides, I can't stand the idea of keeping a man in the desert ... so I'll take the risk.

Here's a hint :
5594605.jpg

Laguna

Banned
WEwiis sales aren´t that interesting to me. It won´t do good numbers and thats about it. But I´m looking forward to see how its follow up will do (maybe later this year)?.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
Hopefully it will achieve that level of sales, then.

You're looking at it the wrong way. There's a base for advertising a game will receive no matter what. Videos, pamphlets, display cases and stands in general are the bulk of a game's advertising, while bigger titles receive commercials, press promotion with famous actors/actresses and/or public demonstrations with the developers on hand.

WE Wii and WE 2008 PSP were on par in that sense. It's no good assuming they should achieve the same yield. There are other factors in play here that will affect each version's performance. For example, the PS2, PS3 and 360 took away potential buyers for console buyers of WE and had the holiday highs to ride off. Meanwhile, WE 2008 DS is certainly no substitute for the PSP edition.

ethelred said:
There still seems to be a contradictory mentality to me here. Yes, it's quite a drastic change to the series -- if you take any existing franchise and rework their controls from the ground up so that they're designed around the Wii, it's going to be a drastic change. But we still here all the time that developers "aren't supporting" the Wii because they're not putting their big franchises on it developed in just such a way. Well, take any big franchise and make it so it's genuinely a Wii game, and this is just what you'll get -- something that after the fact can be called an "offshoot" or a spinoff rather than a successor game.

It's a very nicely developed catch-22 here that's been created for developers, where they're fucked no matter what they do.

I take your point, but I'm simply trying to explain how at least some of the PES audience in the West are viewing Playmaker and suggesting that it may be a reason why it won't appeal to that particular group.

_Alkaline_ said:
Is that worse than N: JOD?

Yes. IIRC, JoD did around 7k first-day. Both are disappointing, although NiGHTS: JoD is obviously more so as it had far more investment than the PS2 port of the original.

duckroll said:
Some day 1 sales from Sinobi:

EO2 = 50k, 50% of shipment sold
Musou Orochi PSP = 25k
WE Wii = 20k

Lost Planet PS3 = 10k
Bioshock = 10k
Pretty much as expected, though I thought LP would pull better numbers than the 360 version. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the big picture since it was aimed at the western audience. Biohock - dunno.

EO2 has some really nice numbers. I'm not interested in the game but it's always good when smaller publishers achieve nice sales.

Musou PSP and WE Wii both bomb. Seems the surge in userbase hasn't helped this PSP title - maybe Musou fatigue is setting in? WE does as expected - I hope Konami doesn't ditch the series direction for Wii but tries to build a userbase with forthcoming versions. It could take some time (see Powa Pro Kun DS).

norinrad21 said:
:lol

stilgar

norinrad21 said:
Well they did release WE6 on the GC in Japan. I own it and its a damn good game.

Wow,and I see the critics were really good...totally forgot that game, though. GC was actually a strange system.

ksamedi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Not bad for EO2.

Its very good actually. I'm surprised that this title got a boost, I thought people would have a negative opinion on the first one because of the difficulty.

Kenka

I think that 200'000 LTD can be considered a sucess. Why did those sub-idiot guys at Konami shipped only 70'000 copies at launch ? They are not afraid of the effect of this low shipment on consumer's mind ? To be more clear : to make tem believe that the game is crap ?

Kenka said:
I think that 200'000 LTD can be considered a sucess. Why did those sub-idiot guys at Konami shipped only 70'000 copies at launch ? They are not afraid of the effect of this low shipment on consumer's mind ? To be more clear : to make tem believe that the game is crap ?

God, I'm going to turn into ethelred in a minute if I read any more of these posts...

How many buyers do you think are actually aware of the shipment numbers of a new title and how many of those do you think let those numbers affect their decision?

ksamedi

Kenka said:

Because retailers decide how much Konami can ship. Konami doesn't decide its shipment numbers on its own, retailers order from them (or even better, wholesalers). Sometimes publishers advertise there game to retailers and request them to carry more, make deals with them and all that but ultimately, its up to the retailer to order the amount.

Innotech

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
But it is a remake.

I think Japan just hates NiGHTS.
no it is both a remake and it has the original niGHTs AND Christmas niGHTS. theres no fucking excuse not to buy it. Hell I may buy a fucking Japanese Ps2 just to play it.

Top Bottom