• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/11 - 2/17

In Donny's handheld chart, it looks like the PSP rose to the challenge, then the DS tried to put it down, and they ended up raising their sales levels and are now fighting each other as their respective sales go down.

I need sleep.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Minsc said:
I was just referring to that specific set of data being more interesting in number format, rather than just generated through his website as a graph (if that's even possible). Even though it didn't come out right.

Sorry for the confusion, I do enjoy all the data everyone brings!

<3 it's all good man. i only do it for the attention anyway. :p

Tmac

Nice graphics, it cleary shows what i suspected, PS3 seems to be loosing steam in japan.

Is there any big release scheduled soon?

Banned
swerve said:
However, they have made one of the most complicated control schemes available for any console in history, for a machine that many associate with one single shaking action...
Really? The controls look easy

swerve

Well, you get used to them, but initially you're frantically trying to pull people around the pitch, managing to let go of A to press B in order to pass without getting the ball passed back, all the while shielding yourself from tackles with the nunchuck stick, and shaking the sticks to shoot/header/clear the ball.

So the basics are a fair bit more for my brain to be doing than 'press A to pass, B to shoot, move with stick'. As for how easy and natural it becomes with time, I'll let you know.

And please don't mistake my comments as complaints. The controls are wondeful for me, but they are hugely daunting and there is no way I'd be able to get my WiiSports friends to try it.

lopaz

Banned
swerve said:
Well, you get used to them, but initially you're frantically trying to pull people around the pitch, managing to let go of A to press B in order to pass without getting the ball passed back, all the while shielding yourself from tackles with the nunchuck stick, and shaking the sticks to shoot/header/clear the ball.

So the basics are a fair bit more for my brain to be doing than 'press A to pass, B to shoot, move with stick'. As for how easy and natural it becomes with time, I'll let you know.

And please don't mistake my comments as complaints. The controls are wondeful for me, but they are hugely daunting and there is no way I'd be able to get my WiiSports friends to try it.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that actually. I was hoping it'd be a very intuitive control scheme. I was hoping it'd be the kind of game where how good you are depends on your reaction times and footballing strategy, not on your master of fiddly controls

swerve

Well, I'm not doing a good job of describing it. The controls are by no means 'fiddly', the big problem comes with the way you have to think about everything at once.

The feeling of using the controls is lovely. Wonderful, even. Smooth, lag free, immediate pointing. Very satisfying.

Don't worry, just don't expect your grandmother to want to play with you just because it's on Wii.

Banned
swerve said:
No problem. I was just surprised to hear that.

I do like that it has retained all the complexity that PES is known for. I haven't been excited for a sports game in almost 15 years.

lopaz

Banned
swerve said:
Well, I'm not doing a good job of describing it. The controls are by no means 'fiddly', the big problem comes with the way you have to think about everything at once.

The feeling of using the controls is lovely. Wonderful, even. Smooth, lag free, immediate pointing. Very satisfying.

Don't worry, just don't expect your grandmother to want to play with you just because it's on Wii.

I see. I guess that just comes from the nature of a sports video game which asks you to control the entire team instead of one person? That's fine by me

Vinnk said:
PantherLotus, great graphs as usual. I always look forward to them.

As for me, I have a dinner party tonight so I won't be able to stop at any shops other than the grocery store tonight (though I suppose I could track sales of lettuce and see if there is any hype about potatoes). I'll probably hit the game stores tomorrow. Anything I should look for?

Gamecube controllers (for Smash Bros)
Afterschool Boy
any buzz/ads at all for Soma Bringer?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
It's sad the PSTriple is dipping more and more as each week goes one. Hopefully it can do something to bring it's ass up.

DiddyBop said:
at least so far this yr the psp is keeping pace with the DS. past numbers dont really matter now,im sure sony is looking to stay within 100,000 units of the ds by the end of the yr,which would be amazing.
But what will sustain such PSP sales? Games? If so which ones? Another redesign?

sleeping_dragon said:
this is interesting, i cant wait until Final Fantasy 13 come out! anyone want to have a guess at how much the PS3 is selling when FF13 come out?
1 million PS3s.

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

So about double the effect that the BR win in the format war will achieve in the next week.

fresquito

DiddyBop said:
at least so far this yr the psp is keeping pace with the DS. past numbers dont really matter now,im sure sony is looking to stay within 100,000 units of the ds by the end of the yr,which would be amazing.
But that won't happen. You know, DQIX is being released this year, and that's bound to move some systems.

Innotech

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Dahym, that's a huge drop for PS3, I was hoping it could clip at the heels of the Wii for a bit longer :(

DS has pushed the PSP back down too!
game release bump vs popularity bump

Xavien

Nuclear Muffin said:
Dahym, that's a huge drop for PS3, I was hoping it could clip at the heels of the Wii for a bit longer :(

DS has pushed the PSP back down too!

Personally, i think its the start of PSP's final decent into doom, Sony did an ace job of reviving the PSP (although if they were on the ball in the first place they wouldn't need to revive it), but the effects of the Slim, New Colour and FF7:CC are starting to wear off.

Xavien said:
Personally, i think its the start of PSP's final decent into doom

:lol

PSP sells a bit more than DS for a few weeks: DS has reached saturation point, it's dying, DQX and FFXIV coming to PSP pretty soon

DS sells a bit more than PSP this week: final stake in PSP's coffin, PSP is decenting unto doom

CaptainHyperbole!.jpg

ksamedi

Xavien said:
Personally, i think its the start of PSP's final decent into doom, Sony did an ace job of reviving the PSP (although if they were on the ball in the first place they wouldn't need to revive it), but the effects of the Slim, New Colour and FF7:CC are starting to wear off.

You can seriously see these kind of things in one week of sales? I really don't think PSPLite sales will drop below PSPfat levels at all.

cvxfreak

At Sofmap, the latest victims are Disgaea 3 (Y3900), Tales of Destiny DC LE (Y3900), and PS2 Sumiya SE (Y3900).

At Bic, VF5 360 can be gotten for Y3000. I believe Wii SCL is the same.

duckroll

Some day 1 sales from Sinobi:

EO2 = 50k, 50% of shipment sold
Musou Orochi PSP = 25k
WE Wii = 20k

Lost Planet PS3 = 10k
Bioshock = 10k

kurosawa

_Alkaline_ said:
Winning Eleven Wii (PES 2008)

It deserves so much better. :(

Seems to be around the realistic expectations... 30, 40k first week, and if it is good enough it won't fall too much in the next weeks.

Xavien

ksamedi said:
You can seriously see these kind of things in one week of sales? I really don't think PSPLite sales will drop below PSPfat levels at all.

Maybe, but people didn't think the PS3 would drop below 20k did they?

The point is, we have seen this generation, downturns can be swift, the DS reduced very quickly (over the space of 3-4 weeks) from 100k to around 50-60k. So i don't think anything is sacred as far as sales go right now (maybe 1-2 years from now, but right now the market is still very unpredictable).

We also know that the PSP is primarily selling as a media device rather than a portable games console, and that can be dangerous. You have to ask yourself "What really is propping up the PSP's sales?", is it movies? music? piracy? then all it can take is a media player that is better/better advertised than the PSP to come out and the sales would plummet, because there are no game software sales to help keep the PSP steady and we'll probably see that emphasised over the next few months as effect of Slim wears off.

king zell

Stormbringer said:
Additionally -> WE Wii initial shipment : ~70k (~29% sell through).

Looks like the shipment rumor was about right.

it doesnt look that bad if it sell 30% first day . maybe 50k by the end of the week .

apujanata

PantherLotus said:
mc-marketshare-pie-64.jpg

[ ] Total Market Share: The 360 finally squeezed under 7% total market share this week, ending an agonizing nine-week ordeal that had many guessing when it would lost that valuable 1%. Trend lines show that it should hit below 5% by the end of March. Where's all this market share going, then? Why, just look here:

mc-marketshare-line-64.jpg

[ ] Market Share Trend: Oh that's where it went! The disappearing 360 market share is contributing directly to the buoyancy of the PS3 market share, despite the PS3 being outsold 2:1 to 4.5:1 for that last ten weeks by the Wii. As we return to the non-holiday season, expect for the PS3 to sink back to right around 20% and the 360 to plummet towards 3% like, well like a 360 falling from the sky. The Wii should finally hit that 70% it couldn't hit last year.

Did I ever told you that I LOVE your charts, especially the analysis writing style ? If not, then consider it done now. :D

apujanata

jgwhiteus said:
I don't know if DQ will bump hardware numbers for the DS that much, though, unless there's a special edition (well, I guess that's pretty much guaranteed, so never mind). It just seems like almost every gamer in Japan and then some has gotten a DS or two by now, and while Nintendo might be able to sell more units by releasing color variants, it won't really be expanding the player population so much as selling multiple units to the same people. Even a redesign might not do much to attract new customers, I think, if it's only something like "DS Micro" and doesn't really change the DS that much (though the PSP's redesign might have been significant and appealing enough to attract new customers, I think).

Iwata's next strategy for the DS seems to be focused on selling it as a general PDA device, with streetmaps and info. functions, etc., and I think I understand why - he's hoping to get new customers who haven't used the DS before and are attracted to its practicality and everyday usefulness, vs. DS owners who're just replacing old units or something. Maybe that and the DS's (first?) price drop could pull in some more people.

Currently, in my home, I have 2 DSL, 2 DS. Silver is the first purchase, for me. Later on, I buy Blue, and I pass the silver to my first son.
Later on, I buy Navy Blue DSL, and give the Blue to my wife. My wife exchange her blue with my first son's silver.
The latest DSL I bought is Crimson/Black, my first son have DSL Blue, wife DS (Fat) Blue, and second son DS (Fat) Silver.
I am very tempted at the Cobalt/Black color. I might buy them in the next six months, and retire the silver (Fat), since the touch screen is a little bit wacky now.

Haunted

duckroll said:

EO2 = 50k, 50% of shipment sold
Musou Orochi PSP = 25k
WE Wii = 20k

Lost Planet PS3 = 10k
Bioshock = 10k
So Phife was right. :/

Give me some context for Lost Planet PS3 - as expected? better? worse?

RpgN

duckroll said:

EO2 = 50k, 50% of shipment sold good
Musou Orochi PSP = 25k bad
WE Wii = 20k bomb

Lost Planet PS3 = 10k ....
Bioshock = 10k ....

:D

However WE en Musou Orochi might still sell well the next week. Yet, it's still very disappointing. Especially for how much WE was giving attention (game design and a little promotion). I guess Nintendo fans just don't like these kind of games or most of them bought the ps3/xbox 360/psp version already?

Mdk7 said:
So pretty much BOMB confirmed?

Not yet. I could see a 35-40k opening week coming from this which, while not as good as I think the game deserves, wouldn't be too terrible given the combination of factors working against the game (late release, no "carry-over" audience on the console, completely new approach, late advertising push). We'll see what happens.

stilgar, Innotech -> Let's see... [first week (total as for the last update) -> ratio] :

WE 2008 PS3 : 144.839 (239.347) -> 60,51%
WE 2008 PS2 : 305.234 (611.734) -> 49,90%
WE 2008 360 : 11.923 (16.083) -> 74,13%

WE 2007 PS2 : 470.163 (1.052.360) -> 44,68%
WE 2007 360 : 10.760 (21.904) -> 49,12%
WE 2007 DS : 51.491 (168.705) -> 30,52%

source : japan-gamecharts.com

At least lately, it doesn't seem to be a franchise with particularly good or particularly bad legs... Well, apparently, except on the DS...
Anyway, just like Vinnk pointed out in a previous thread, the great quality of the Wii version could allow it to generate a fairly positive buzz, which could, in the long term catch the attention of many gamers, which would in turn give it pretty solid legs...We will see, though.

D.Lo

WW Wii number better then I expected. Maybe 45k for the week? Not exactly a hit, but at least a start considering the things it had going against it.

Frillen

WE Wii should do somewhere between 30k and 50k first week. Not bad, but not good either. I predict it to sell slightly above 100k when everything is said and done.

Top Bottom