• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/11 - 2/17

AniHawk

I should really play NiGHTS 2. I got about an hour into the game, which really translates into THE FIRST FUCKING ACTUAL NIGHTS LEVEL. But still, that NiGHTS level was pretty nice.

D.Lo

What I wanna know is why the put out two Nights games on two different platforms within a few months. Surely both platforms could have had both games? Most of JoD could have been done on PS2, minus a few graphical flourishes.

Actually, they should have included the upscaled NiD re-make IN JoD. Maybe the extra space it took up would have meant some of the voice acting would have been dropped too!

EDIT:
Segata Sanshiro said:
Hi

My name is Mithos

and I'm on the FUCKING LIST
Surely even you were disappointed in it - doesn't mean it was crap, just not everything it could be. I liked it (Gave it a 7.0), and the good bits were great, but the cut-scenes and kid levels were awful.

AniHawk said:
I should really play NiGHTS 2. I got about an hour into the game, which really translates into THE FIRST FUCKING ACTUAL NIGHTS LEVEL. But still, that NiGHTS level was pretty nice.
The first regular NiGHTS level is like 8 mins in. The whole game is only a few hours long.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
The first regular NiGHTS level is like 8 mins in. The whole game is only a few hours long.

Yeah, I think I attempted the multiplayer stuff beforehand (because apparently I hate myself more than I previously thought). The tutorial and unskippable cutscenes had me switching between The Simpsons and the actual game until finally it was in the tutorial. And then that took a while because I knew what I needed to do since I was no newcomer to NiGHTS and wanted to get done with it, which wound up wasting more time as I had to loop round and round in those courses until that fucking owl let me proceed.

Then the game started and that was neat. But I think I started Super Mario Galaxy the next day.

D.Lo said:
What I wanna know is why the put out two Nights games on two different platforms within a few months. Surely both platforms could have had both games? Most of JoD could have been done on PS2, minus a few graphical flourishes.

Actually, they should have included the upscaled NiD re-make IN JoD. Maybe the extra space it took up would have meant some of the voice acting would have been dropped too!

EDIT:
Surely even you were disappointed in it - doesn't mean it was crap, just not everything it could be. I liked it (Gave it a 7.0), and the good bits were great, but the cut-scenes and kid levels were awful.
My impressions are in the official thread. I loved the game. It was all I wanted from a sequel to NiGHTS. There are 2 stages I didn't like, but they were both over in under a couple mins.

The VA was no worse than the stuff from Xmas NiGHTS, so I'm not going to dock it for that.

In the end, I'm left with a full game's worth of new NiGHTS levels, so I'm quite happy.

@ Mithos: baby want his bottle?

Kenka

Cosmonaut X said:
God, I'm going to turn into ethelred in a minute if I read any more of these posts...

How many buyers do you think are actually aware of the shipment numbers of a new title and how many of those do you think let those numbers affect their decision?

Thank you for question. Let me be more precise.

Low shipments mean less exposure right ? With all this ultra-advestised recent Wii software, don't you think that the japanese consumer may believe that the quality of this shy game is lower ? And regarding the hardcore, don't you think that they still associate "Play Maker" with a random WE suckoff ?

The commuication around this game has been terrible so far. Konami still continues to be the wtf company of he industry in Japan.

Really good numbers for Etrian 2, some more Atlus love on handhelds would be pretty great.

The only numbers I didn't see posted already...
PS3 Burnout Paradise - 5000
360 Burnout Paradise - 3500

By the way, Musou Orochi numbers compared to other Musou PSP first day:
Dec 2005 - PSP Geki Sengoku Musou - 10.000 (23k first week, 109k LTD)
Mar 2006 - PSP Shin Sangoku Musou: 2nd Evolution - 8.000 (13k first week, 53k LTD)
Feb 2008 - PSP Musou Orochi - 25.000

EDIT: got the first musou wrong, its sengoku and not the first sangoku musou which nearly launched alongside the PSP

Septy

How much was Nights Wii ? I was pretty shocked to see it in GAME for 61 Euros while Mario Galaxy was 49.99. At that price no wonder it didn't do well.

justchris

Kenka said:
Thank you for question. Let me be more precise.

Low shipments mean less exposure right ? With all this ultra-advestised recent Wii software, don't you think that the japanese consumer may believe that the quality of this shy game is lower ? And regarding the hardcore, don't you think that they still associate "Play Maker" with a random WE suckoff ?

Not really, no. Having fewer copies on the shelves might mean some people don't see it the week it comes out, but Konami can pretty easily ship more copies if the game picks up steam.

Shipping a low amount only really hurts when there's a reasonable expectation that people will finish the game and sell it back before you get a chance to ship more out.

Having too many copies on the market, and getting them heavily price slashed hurts perception on a title far more than having a small shortage.

------------

Excellent sales for Etrian Odyssey. Isn't that nearly half the LTD of the first one on the first day? That probably means that the majority of the people who played the first one will pick up the 2nd.

As for WE Wii, does it have any kind of local multiplayer (I don't remember if it does or not). If it does, word of mouth could see it's sales pick up over the weekend. I think that's what happened with titles like Family Ski. People enjoyed it and showed it off to friends, who later went to purchase it.

Realistically though, I'd consider it a moderate success if it managed to sell as many units as the PSP version. And it'd set Konami up nicely for decent sales of WE2009 (unless it turns out people hate it, and kill it in a fire).

botticus

Great numbers for EO2. Not good for WE Wii, but I'll be looking forward to first and (hopefully) second week numbers. What's the release schedule for next week?

turk128

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's the fire that fuels me.

Plus, angry people always get their way! Bully or be bullied, son!
swwkn6.gif

jarrod

Banned
Yay Etrian, bomba for everyone else! :lol

Actually, WEWii and Musou Megamix did better than I expected... I honestly thought both would be under 10k 1st day. Poor NiGHTS... shoulda gone SEGA AGES 2500 originally I think. :/

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Really good numbers for Etrian 2, some more Atlus love on handhelds would be pretty great.

Magicpaint said:
I'm very glad for Etrian. More handheld Atlus support can only be a good thing.

Yup. If Etrian Odyssey can continue to sell this well, I think it's time for Shin Megami Tensei DS. And maybe with the post-slim software boost, Atlus can take a shot on Persona PSP, too.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's the fire that fuels me.

Plus, angry people always get their way! Bully or be bullied, son!

It doesn't make sense to become angry for videogames sales. First, because it doesn't change your life. Do you own the game ? Why do you care about what other people do ? Simply enjoy it ! If the videogame sells or not is not important because you will not earn a cent from that.
Second, because to become angry for videogames is really ridicolous, because videogames are nothing in comparison to the real problems of the life. Are you disappointed ? Me too, for many good games that don't sell as they should. Are you angry ? You're getting annoying for nothing.

Mdk7

Innotech said:
yes. BOTH OF THEM BOMBED. BECAUSE JAPAN IS SHIT.
I still love you Japan, but slightly less now
well, NiGHTS JoD bombed pretty horribly all over the world... and i guess it was pretty deserved since it's certainly NOT a AAA game (like this remake might well be!).

Laguna said:
It´s a shame that we didn´t got numbers for the PSP Musou Orochi bundle.

There is no Musou Orochi bundle.

Phife Dawg said:
Musou PSP and WE Wii both bomb. Seems the surge in userbase hasn't helped this PSP title - maybe Musou fatigue is setting in?

As a comparison, Musou Orochi is already doing 2.5-3 times better than the last 2 Musou games on PSP. However, in a certain sense, this game did BOMB because Koei simply screwed it up. If they advertised the game a little bit more (they still didn't have a goddamn cover for Amazon LOL) and rearranged the Musou release schedule a little bit better (3 months ago we had DW5, next week we will have Gundam Musou PS2, less than 2 months later we will have another new Musou Orochi for PS2... no wonder Koei already "forgot" the PSP version), this game would certainly sell a lot better.

That said, I still hope this game will get some words of mouth from fans and have some legs. Seriously, I consider this the FIRST game on portable to have some REAL Musou feelings. It does deserve some appreciations from fans.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It doesn't make sense to become angry for videogames sales. First, because it doesn't change your life. Do you own the game ? Why do you care about what other people do ? Simply enjoy it ! If the videogame sells or not is not important because you will not earn a cent from that.
Second, because become angry for videogames is really ridicolous, because videogames are nothing in comparison to the real problems of the life. Are you disappointed ? Me too, for many good games that don't sell as they should. Are you angry ? You're getting annoying for nothing.

ಠ_ಠ

It's sales-age dude...

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Second, because become angry for videogames is really ridicolous, because videogames are nothing in comparison to the real problems of the life. Are you disappointed ? Me too, for many good games that don't sell as they should. Are you angry ? You're getting annoying for nothing.
Mithos, I get angry when my coffee isn't the right temperature. It's really not a bother at all for me!

justchris

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Second, because to become angry for videogames is really ridicolous, because videogames are nothing in comparison to the real problems of the life. Are you disappointed ? Me too, for many good games that don't sell as they should. Are you angry ? You're getting annoying for nothing.

Nah, that's not right. Every aspect of life is important, even if it's just video games. Do video games bring you joy? If so, then that's important, cause what good is life without some joy in it? You might as well be dead.
And why would problems be more important than fun? If given a choice between having problems and having fun, I'd choose fun. The challenges and problems of life are something to work through to get to the fun part, not the be all and end all of living.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Mithos, I get angry when my coffee isn't the right temperature. It's really not a bother at all for me!

:lol I really admire you. I'm far too lazy to ever get really angry. Takes too much energy for me.

justchris said:
Nah, that's not right. Every aspect of life is important, even if it's just video games. Do video games bring you joy? If so, then that's important, cause what good is life without some joy in it? You might as well be dead.
And why would problems be more important than fun? If given a choice between having problems and having fun, I'd choose fun. The challenges and problems of life are something to work through to get to the fun part, not the be all and end all of living.

Holy crap.... Have you ever had problems in the true sense of the term ? BIG problems I mean. My message was that it is necessary to use the right answer to the right moment and to the right problem. In other words, if someday my football team will loose, I'll be disappointed, but not angry, because it is something that doesn't depend from my actions and doesn't change my life.
But the problems I'm talking about have all another nature: health, family, job. Maybe you consider them as obvious or taken for granted. All consider them in this way. As long as you have them. But when you're sick you will curse yourself for becoming angry for an event that was insignifiant and you will truly understand that life is not always fun.

Life doesn't start and finish with amusement. But with responsability.

But this is only my opinion of course. Better to return to the topic.

ethelred

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Holy crap.... Have you ever had problems in the true sense of the term ? BIG problems I mean. My message was that it is necessary to use the right answer to the right moment and to the right problem. In other words, if someday my football team will loose, I'll be disappointed, but not angry, because it is something that doesn't depend from my actions and doesn't change my life.
But the problems I'm talking about have all another nature: health, family, job. Maybe you consider them as obvious or taken for granted. All consider them in this way. As long as you're have them. But when you're sick you will curse yourself for becoming angry for an event that was insignifiant and you will truly understand that life is not always fun.

Life doesn't start and finish with amusement. But with responsability.

You sound like chapters out of a self-help booklet.

Kenka

justchris said:
Not really, no. Having fewer copies on the shelves might mean some people don't see it the week it comes out, but Konami can pretty easily ship more copies if the game picks up steam.

Shipping a low amount only really hurts when there's a reasonable expectation that people will finish the game and sell it back before you get a chance to ship more out.

Having too many copies on the market, and getting them heavily price slashed hurts perception on a title far more than having a small shortage.

------------

Excellent sales for Etrian Odyssey. Isn't that nearly half the LTD of the first one on the first day? That probably means that the majority of the people who played the first one will pick up the 2nd.

As for WE Wii, does it have any kind of local multiplayer (I don't remember if it does or not). If it does, word of mouth could see it's sales pick up over the weekend. I think that's what happened with titles like Family Ski. People enjoyed it and showed it off to friends, who later went to purchase it.

Realistically though, I'd consider it a moderate success if it managed to sell as many units as the PSP version. And it'd set Konami up nicely for decent sales of WE2009 (unless it turns out people hate it, and kill it in a fire).

Thanky for the explanation. I just remarked that I made shitons of grammatical mistakes in my previous post...

I'm very disappointed by Bioshock's sales. And I wonder why japanese are so hostile versus FPS as genre. It would be interesting to make a sondage asking what they find in shooters that so horrible/bad/scary/ecc...

Top Bottom