• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
To answer Tabris' rather dumb question of why we're all enamoured by the DS's monopoly of the top ten. For me it's just amazing to watch the DS topple all of these sort of unattainable milestones. This is uncharted territory and it's exciting to see what record the DS will break next week.

Arsenal

X26 said:
So does Japan not care about consoles anymore? ruh roh

It sure looks that way to me. I'm guessing that the upcoming PS3 vs. Wii battle will basically be a moot point. Both are going to under-perform badly as the DS continues to take center stage.

The usual

GBASP after 25 weeks: 1.39M
DSL after 25 weeks: 3.80M
Time for GBASP to reach 3.80M: 75 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 25 weeks: 367K
"DS after DSL" after 25 weeks: 478K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 478K: 36 weeks

DS after 25 weeks: 2.36M
PSP after 25 weeks: 1.37M
GBM after 25 weeks: 456K

I have a hunch that an interesting thing will happen with next week's numbers. As DSL hits 0.5 years, it will surpass GBASP's total after 1.5 years, placing it a full year ahead. Or making it three times as quick, whichever you prefer. If there really will be no more shipments of original DS, that stat will get pretty boring and "GBA after SP" will overtake it in a few months.

Graphically
Fuzzy said:
_773299_zaphod_beeblebrox150.jpg
The real head plays New Super Mario Bros., while the non-head goes for Brain Training.

Tabris said:
No one's answering my question about why are you posting in a sales thread if it's nothing but a single handheld/series of games dominating the chart?

Why would you cheer this on unless you only played games on the DS?
I'm a DS-loving chart whore, but you probably post in these threads more than I do.
Tabris said:
The chart hasn't changed in the last year. Lastest DS craze, Brain Training, Animal Crossing and a Mario title. Nothing else registers on the charts.

Yet each chart post gets 5+ pages when 3 years ago, it didn't. Why is that?
It's like Jeopardy's ratings going up when Ken Jennings won 70-ish games in a row.

ethelred said:
Ummm... sure, they owned the top 10 chart, but how much were they selling? Can you point to an appreciable drop in the actual sales of these games as a result of the "non-games?"
For kicks, I've decided to search up last year's thread...
Japan charts: Media Create 22 - 28 Aug

software
1. PS2 Tales of Legendia - Namco - 242,000 (new)
2. PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. - Bandai - 118,000 (new)
3. PS2 Naruto Uzumaki Ninden - Bandai - 34,000 (130,000)
4. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 32,000 (454,000)
5. PS2 Winning Eleven 9 - Konami - 30,000 (762,000)
6. PS2 Winning Post 7 - Koei - 28,000 (new)
7. NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku - Nintendo - 28,000 (412,000)
8. NDS Jump Super Stars - Nintendo - 28,000 (306,000)
9. GBA Mushiking - Sega - 15,000 (505,000)
10. NDS Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika - Konami - 15,000 (new)

DS - 57,313
PS2 - 27,161
PSP - 20,322
GBASP - 11,144
GC - 2,586
GBA - 652
Xbox - 130

Hmm... total PlayStation hardware sales are up over last year this week. I guess they must be buying DS games to go with them, though.

Kiriku said:
It came out in 2001. DMC4 won't be out until 2007, at the earliest. A new game every other year is hardly 'overused', especially not if we're talking about freakin' Capcom. :p
DMC was their best-selling PS2 game, and yet they didn't pimp it at all.
Meanwhile, they're milking the shit out of Megaman, Resident Evil and Street Fighter spin-offs and re-releases. They turned Onimusha into a freakin' Tactics game. I'm sure there are (or at least were) loads of ways to cash in on the DMC franchise as well. Anyway, it certainly wasn't overused. Mishandled is more like it, with the crappy second game. :p
Wasn't Dante in the PS2 Viewtiful Joe?

Anyways :)

Competition is good. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping all three new consoles perform about the same. I don't like the one console future (and I love my DS). Obviously though right now, the DS is it in Japan. The 360 has bombed, the PS2 isn't offering much in the way of NEW experiences (sure you have okami, but it's mostly sequels at this stage) ditto the PSP... so the DS destroys the charts.

Here's a thought for sony fanboys to cuddle at night for the next few tough months.

Maybe the reason PSP and PS2 sales are so slow right now is because everyone is saving up for a PS3. Certainly plausible given it's cost.

As for the fears of certain people... gaming already is pretty mainstream. the reason we went from 2D to 3D was because most people gaming wanted it. Those that didn't had a few years in the wilderness before handhelds got powerful enough to save 2D gaming.

I waited a long time for a new Goku Makaimura but hey, the current market just delivered it to me. I had no interest in that Maximo bullshit.

The GBA gave us two sweet 2D Metroids. Most of the games I'm excited about on the PSP are 3D titles with 2D gameplay (2.5D).

There's still people making new vertical scrolling shoot em ups... sure it's not in as big a number, but there is always going to be a market for certain types of games. New types of games may reduce that market, but they won't destroy it.

I know you may be thinking 'why spend millions making a game when a small team can throw out a brain training in a couple of months' but really those kind of things are like catching lightning in a bottle. The Blair Witch Project didn't change the cinematic landscape by being a hit. We still get big budget block busters that don't make nearly as good a return as that did, because they're sure fire things... and I'm not even talking sequels.

Your favourite genre will never die. Ever. It may have finished it's time in the sun, but it won't ever totally go away.

I'm still playing new point and click adventure games... the days of them being THE money makers are gone... and they're a lot thinner on the ground... but they're still being made.

So take heart.

On one hand you've got the PS3 to 'save traditional games'. We'll see how that is doing against the DS and Wii in year or so's time and while i wouldn't want to bet on any given outcome, I'm confident that it'll be standing up to them better than the PS2 and PSP are right now.

10 games in the top ten all on one platform... i'm eagerly watching this thread to see when that last happened.

The PSP isn't dead, and isn't going to die... but yes. Nintendo have unequivocally won this fight. No way the PSP recovers from here as 3rd party support is being driven their way each week the DS sells as it's doing right now... and that's what has been keeping the PSP remotely competitive in the sales charts.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
JoshuaJSlone said:
For kicks, I've decided to search up last year's thread...
Japan charts: Media Create 22 - 28 Aug

software
4. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 32,000 (454,000)

who would have seriously predicted this game (and its sequel!) would hit 3m copies sold within the next 12 months. The success of the BT series has been quite incredible

Amir0x is just bitching for the sake of bitching. As much as he'd like to ignore it, non-games HAVE been pushing the sales "real games". NSMB is the best selling game since the ****ing SUPER FAMICOM.

Anyone who says otherwise needs to look at sales for Super Mario Sunshine. "Mario always sells well" isn't an argument. It's a cop-out. 300 000 isn't almost 3 million. Non-gamers are buying "real" games. Just because Amir0x loathes them, doesn't mean they aren't helping the industry.

FFIII sold over 90% of its shipment -- other FF games that sell 3 mill their first day never exceed more than 70% of the shipment.

Just because it isn't Okami or FE doesn't mean these "new gamers" aren't slowly wading into gaming. People don't start on the original Greek manuscript of the Illiad when they first get interested in great literature and myths. They start with Lord of the Rings, or other modern authors that "break" the traditions of the ancient ways of storytelling, and I'm sure proponents of Homer would be badmouthing them too if it was GAF.

Note: I have absolutely no interest in the non-games released. In fact I have a negative opinion of them. But you cannot deny the change of dynamics in the gaming industry. A positive one for "real" gamers.

Dragona Akehi said:
Just because it isn't Okami or FE doesn't mean these "new gamers" aren't slowly wading into gaming. People don't start on the original Greek manuscript of the Illiad when they first get interested in great literature and myths. They start with Lord of the Rings, or other modern authors that "break" the traditions of the ancient ways of storytelling, and I'm sure proponents of Homer would be badmouthing them too if it was GAF.

Is it okay to like Tolkien more than Homer?

Pureauthor said:
Is it okay to like Tolkien more than Homer?

Like non-games, I don't like Tolkien either. However if that gets people interested in the myths and literature that inspired him to write the Lord of the Rings, even if it is only a small percentage... it's good.

linsivvi

plagiarize said:
10 games in the top ten all on one platform... i'm eagerly watching this thread to see when that last happened.

Let me venture a guess and suggest that it last happened during the NES days?

Pureauthor said:
I read the Iliad and the Odyessey before I read LotR (not in Greek though). Heh.

Check out the Song of Roland if you enjoyed them. It's great and has the origins of the sword Durandal (if you ever wondered where it came from), along with other legendary blades that tend to show up in games.

Check out the Song of Roland if you enjoyed them. It's great and has the origins of the sword Durandal (if you ever wondered where it came from), along with other legendary blades that tend to show up in games.

Thanks for the tip.

(I'm not sure how far we should venture along this line in the thread, by why don't you like Tolkien?)

Pureauthor said:
Thanks for the tip.

(I'm not sure how far we should venture along this line in the thread, by why don't you like Tolkien?)

It's a ripoff of all the legends and myths I've adored since I was a child. Not that it isn't well-written... I just see all the old tales riding to the surface. Much like how you can see the pagan origins in the Christianized Beowulf that has survived to today. Irritating.

Dragona Akehi said:
It's a ripoff of all the legends and myths I've adored since I was a child. Not that it isn't well-written... I just see all the old tales riding to the surface. Much like how you can see the pagan origins in the Christianized Beowulf that has survived to today. Irritating.

Ah. Understandable, but I guess it means you don't like Kingdom Hearts, then. :lol

Hmm... I wonder... might it be possible for FFIII to see an increase in sales for next week?

AAA post.

Deku

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

It's been a while since i read it, but it the Joyeuse also mentioned in it?

Fularu

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Tolkien ripped much much more from the nibelungenung, Scotish and irish traditional tales than from Greek, french and roman myths.

While I agree with what you say, you can't deny that his work set a milestone for the new fantasy writers. While I grew up reading myths and legends from prety much every country (my library, in Paris, had a collection dedicated to just that, myths and legends) I still highly enjoyed the lord of the rings. You have to take into account when it was written and what influenced it.

That should be it for that huge derail of the thread ;)

BTW as much as Amirox and others "loath" the "non games" they should start telling us what exactly a game is. after playing BA and BBA I can guarentee you that they are 100% ganes, just with a different kind of interaction and *gasp* objectives.

ethelred

Fularu said:
Tolkien ripped much much more from the nibelungenung, Scotish and irish traditional tales than from Greek, french and roman myths.

Das Nibelungenlied, as well as Wagner's operatic Der Ring des Nibelungen.

And don't forget the Finnish Kalevala. Gandalf is a perfect standin for its lead.

Fularu said:

Dude, don't get me started. Just because I mention Homer doesn't mean I'm a Greek Myth enthusiast only. Believe me, that was only so people would understand my metaphor. :p Next time I'll say the original manuscriptsw of the Icelandic sagas or somesuch!

While I agree with what you say, you can't deny that his work set a milestone for the new fantasy writers. While I grew up reading myths and legends from prety much every country (my library, in Paris, had a collection dedicated to just that, myths and legends) I still highly enjoyed the lord of the rings. You have to take into account when it was written and what influenced it.

That should be it for that huge derail of the thread ;)

Of course and I mentioned that. It just irks me, like how non-games (non-books!) irk Amir0x, but I don't bitch constantly about it! But yes we should stop derailing the thread. Oops.

BTW as much as Amirox and others "loath" the "non games" they should start telling us what exactly a game is. after playing BA and BBA I can guarentee you that they are 100% ganes, just with a different kind of interaction and *gasp* objectives.

Well I dunno about that. Not even Nintendo Power consider them "games". I do have to say for "edutainment" software, they actually have some (significant for some) "entertainment value" even though I don't have the slightest interest in them.

E-phonk

Banned
So when I "play" multiplayer BBA with my gf, am I nonmultiplayering or something?

BBA (multiplayer) could be a blueprint for game mechanics (clear objective, fast interaction, puzzle facets, skills, practise, reward system etc).

Also, nintendogs is a rpg.

E-phonk said:
So when I "play" multiplayer BBA with my gf, am I nonmultiplayering or something?

BBA (multiplayer) could be a blueprint for game mechanics (clear objective, fast interaction, puzzle facets, skills, practise, reward system etc)

And when you read Lord of the Rings or worse *gasp* whatever trash is on the top ten sales for book, you're non-reading!

And Nintendo continues to dominate Japan. Seriously it's the most amazing thing ever. It's like Indiana Jones killing 10 Nazis with a single bullet in The Last Crusade. Only it's Nintendo killing the top ten list with a single DS.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Why do I not foresee good things happening when Amir0x wakes up?
Because you care to much about a moderator that posts to much.

10 DS Games in the top 10 is awesome. Can't wait to see some numbers for DS hardware a few months down the track in US, wonder if it will catch on like with Europe and Japan.

That really doesn't have much to do with 'caring', I just believe he's not going to take what's been said in a good light.

That aside, yes, top ten all DS is awesome.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dragona Akehi said:
Amir0x is just bitching for the sake of bitching. As much as he'd like to ignore it, non-games HAVE been pushing the sales "real games". NSMB is the best selling game since the ****ing SUPER FAMICOM.

Anyone who says otherwise needs to look at sales for Super Mario Sunshine. "Mario always sells well" isn't an argument. It's a cop-out. 300 000 isn't almost 3 million. Non-gamers are buying "real" games. Just because Amir0x loathes them, doesn't mean they aren't helping the industry.

FFIII sold over 90% of its shipment -- other FF games that sell 3 mill their first day never exceed more than 70% of the shipment.

Note: I have absolutely no interest in the non-games released. In fact I have a negative opinion of them. But you cannot deny the change of dynamics in the gaming industry. A positive one for "real" gamers.

I guess you have yet to see the full rationalization powers of one Ami R. Ox, he would never admit that something like Animal Crossing actually saving the Japanese indsutry

All of your phoenix down belong to us ~ Animal Crossing

Perhaps we should ahve a top 10 separated from DS titles. Maybe that will be fair?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Nintendo DS was Yamauchi's last sugestion. Show respect to the Old Dad of gaming.

JavyOO7

Amir0x said:
And, although I don't share your idea that this will be some replacement, your ideology would be exactly another reason why I don't celebrate. If 'non-games' are the 'new games', then the new 'gaming revolution' is terrible and it's only logical to be negative about it.

Non-games will be considered 'new games', but they will peacefully coincide with the stuff we are playing with now. 5-10 years from now we'll see more Brain Training, Cooking Training, and etc etc. Does not mean that developers (especially Nintendo) will tell Halo, Mario, and their GTA franchises to **** off. Basically it means its another avenue of money that developers can look at and give themselves a sigh of relief for a while.

Joe Molotov

LanceStern said:
All of your phoenix down belong to us ~ Animal Crossing

Perhaps we should ahve a top 10 separated from DS titles. Maybe that will be fair?

Sony did say that it wasn't fair to compare the DS and the PSP.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Eh, you chose a wrong time to say I'm bitching for bitching sake. This is a legitimate concern of mine. And, it seems, you're not really following my line of thought here. So far, DS has not saved any games in trouble. Mario and Final Fantasy never needed saving. Final Fantasy III would have sold incredibly either way... if it would have sold 1 million instead of 1.8 million, you still know there is never a risk that FF won't be tops in Japan. Same for Mario. The advance titles might do 800,000 previously, and now they're doing wow 3,000,000 or more. Incredible increase. But it's Mario. There was going to be a new Mario platforming title in some form even if the title sold 800,000.

This is not helping 'real games' that are hurting. It's the same situation. if Japan was dying before, with exceptions like Mario, Final Fantasy and Winning Eleven doing well... the games we love are STILL dying now with Mario, Final Fantasy doing better than ever and the inclusion of these 'edutainment' or whatever.

Well, that's why - staying on the point originally made - there's no reason for me to celebrate. IF it was sincerely propping up at any significant level the Okamis and Fire Emblems of the world, once more, I'd be happy about it. I'd even accept non-games. But it honestly doesn't. Megaman still sells mediocre, Contact still does under 100k (iirc). And as a side effect of this, if the games were to be saved it'd be on DS, no other platform has a chance. Thus, we're stuck with the extreme limitations the system has. So either way, no matter what angle I personally look at it from, I don't celebrate. And that's all I was discussing. It was NOT bitching for bitching sake. I hope that clarifies it, but I'm sure we'll get bogged down in semantics somewhere :p

Cheebs

tanasten said:
Nintendo DS was Yamauchi's last sugestion. Show respect to the Old Dad of gaming.
Yamauchi also brought us the N64 and GCN. Yamauchi was a God a long time ago, but his ways of ruling Nintendo had grown very out of touch and were not working.

E-phonk

Banned
Ami, But if for example the renewed intrest in Mario makes the next paper mario a (bigger) succes, would that help things? Because it could possibly introduce people to RPG styled games.

I was never into SRPG's and turn based games before the DS (fire emblem GBA & Advance Wars) btw, and now they are among favorite genre.

Amir0x

Banned
E-phonk said:
Ami, But if for example the renewed intrest in Mario makes the next paper mario a (bigger) succes, would that help things? Because it could possibly introduce people to RPG styled games.

I was never into SRPG's and turn based games before the DS (fire emblem GBA & Advance Wars) btw, and now they are among favorite genre.

Hey, like I said... IF the end result is, 2 years down the line, we've got the effects trickling down to these games in trouble or not big I'd be very happy about it. I just hope that it occurs sooner, and that it extends to console(s).

Amir0x said:
Eh, you chose a wrong time to say I'm bitching for bitching sake. This is a legitimate concern of mine. And, it seems, you're not really following my line of thought here. So far, DS has not saved any games in trouble. Mario and Final Fantasy never needed saving. Final Fantasy III would have sold incredibly either way... if it would have sold 1 million instead of 1.8 million, you still know there is never a risk that FF won't be tops in Japan. Same for Mario. The advance titles might do 800,000 previously, and now they're doing wow 3,000,000 or more. Incredible increase. But it's Mario. There was going to be a new Mario platforming title in some form even if the title sold 800,000.

This is not helping 'real games' that are hurting. It's the same situation. if Japan was dying before, with exceptions like Mario, Final Fantasy and Winning Eleven doing well... the games we love are STILL dying now with Mario, Final Fantasy doing better than ever and the inclusion of these 'edutainment' or whatever.

Well, that's why - staying on the point originally made - there's no reason for me to celebrate. IF it was sincerely propping up at any significant level the Okamis and Fire Emblems of the world, once more, I'd be happy about it. I'd even accept non-games. But it honestly doesn't. Megaman still sells mediocre, Contact still does under 100k (iirc). And as a side effect of this, if the games were to be saved it'd be on DS, no other platform has a chance. Thus, we're stuck with the extreme limitations the system has. So either way, no matter what angle I personally look at it from, I don't celebrate. And that's all I was discussing. It was NOT bitching for bitching sake. I hope that clarifies it, but I'm sure we'll get bogged down in semantics somewhere :p

Did you read the last part of my post? About not going straight into original greek manuscripts? Mario and FF may not need saving but their sales were going WAY down. The fact they're selling through the roof (ie real games) is a good sign. Non-games aren't taking over. They are helping to bring new non-gamers, who eventually try "real" games, and get hooked. Becoming new gamers.

I wouldn't expect to see FE or Okami type titles to start getting this positive effect for another year or two. Maybe three. But I honestly expect it to come.

Bebpo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Did you read the last part of my post? About not going straight into original greek manuscripts? Mario and FF may not need saving but their sales were going WAY down.

Maybe Mario, but FF has been doing fine. FFXII did within expected sales +/- 500k.

Top Bottom