• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

cvxfreak

poke01.jpg

poke02.jpg

poke03.jpg

poke04.jpg
poke05.jpg

poke10.jpg
poke11.jpg
poke12.jpg

poke06.jpg
poke07.jpg

poke08.jpg
poke09.jpg

poke13.jpg

mj1108

scola said:
i missed this. could someone fill me in?

During Christmas:

11/14-11/20 65,341
11/21-11/27 132,012
11/28 - 12/4 176,958
12/5 - 12/12 299,328
12/13 - 12/18 408,770
12/19 - 12/25 597,628
12/26 - 1/1 390,181

Check the sales archive and you can relive our reactions. :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
Fuzzy said:
Yeah, December 2005 was crazy.

I got a kick out of how every week, we were all like "Holy shit!" only for the next week to come along and make the previous week's numbers look small.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If Pokemon is out early enough in November then it might stop the DS from beating the December 2005 HW number because November will be so high.

December 2004 - 1,495,596
December 2005 - 1,872,865
December 2006 - ??????????

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
only a few million units is a month? pffftttt...

I said wow
edit: Thanks everyone who responded

Joe Molotov

JoshuaJSlone said:
Then supply ran low
01/02/06 91,379

And then there was the next week, where some stores had DS's marked up to roughly the same price as the X360. Apparently they all sold. :lol

(The DS's obviously, not the X360's.)

Everytime I see these extremely gigantic sales, I can't help but shudder and think what Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will do.

I am very happy to see these NSMB sales numbers, it deserves it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
will pokemon really do that good? I mean people have to remember that NSMB is a game that really appeals to non-gamers and you know it will sell, but I don't see Pokemon being something non-gamers will really like, I dunno Pokemon will do good for sure but I think people are overhyping it's success imo.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Error2k4 said:
will NSMB really do that good? I mean people have to remember that Animal Crossing is a game that really appeals to non-gamers and you know it will sell, but I don't see Mario being something non-gamers will really like, I dunno Mario will do good for sure but I think people are overhyping it's success imo.

Circa last month or so.

Desperado

Error2k4 said:
will pokemon really do that good? I mean people have to remember that NSMB is a game that really appeals to non-gamers and you know it will sell, but I don't see Pokemon being something non-gamers will really like, I dunno Pokemon will do good for sure but I think people are overhyping it's success imo.
Pokemon doesn't need non-gamers to sell big.

Neither does NSMB, for that matter.

Error

I'm sorry but NSMB do appeal to non-gamers, and if I wanted to say ACWW in my post I would've.

meh, I'm not saying Pokemon will do bad. I'm just sayin you people are kinda overhyping it's success a little but we'll see this fall anyway :)

BorkBork

Error2k4 said:
I'm sorry but NSMB do appeal to non-gamers, and if I wanted to say ACWW in my post I would've.

meh, I'm not saying Pokemon will do bad. I'm just sayin you people are kinda overhyping it's success a little but we'll see this fall anyway :)

To be fair, it's kinda impossible to predict any thing DS related in Japan right now. What would be your estimate for what Pokemon will do?

Error

BorkBork said:
To be fair, it's kinda impossible to predict any thing DS related in Japan right now. What would be your estimate for what Pokemon will do?
I dare not to predict anything.... I don't want to eat crow later :p

my prediction, Pokemon D/S will do good ;)

mj1108

BorkBork said:
To be fair, it's kinda impossible to predict any thing DS related in Japan right now.

QFT.

No use in predicting since numbers and titles can go apeshit all of a sudden.

BorkBork

Error2k4 said:
I dare not to predict anything.... I don't want to eat crow later :p

my prediction, Pokemon D/S will do good ;)

The thing is, "good" numbers for Pokemon means record numbers for any other franchises in Japan. I'll put you down for a batshit insane amount then.

BorkBork said:
at the rate things are going, pokemon could conceivably outsell the DS due to some people buying both!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
LanceStern said:
cvxfreak did you get the monthly chart up yet?
He said there will be no more monthly charts.

Jonnyram said:
Sorry, I meant including the DS lite...
Lowest this year before the DSL launched was 10,223 (02/06-02/12).
Lowest combined DS/DSL since the DSL launched was 95,333 (05/08-05/14).

jesusraz

BorkBork said:
What would be your estimate for what Pokemon will do?

Mine would be 2 million for each in the first week. And do people STILL think FFIII won't hit a million now? Surely not...

I'd hazard a guess at ~275,000 DS Lites sold this week.

SantaC

I am so glad new mario is selling, that probably means more mario goodness in the near future :D

NSMB2 with SMB2 style now please!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Frankfurter said:
Holy crap. 900k...!? I remember a few people saying that ~500k would already be way too optimistic.

Oh yeah. Put the crow in the oven and break out the fine china. Here comes last week's sales thread:

cvxfreak said:
I'm not positive of the chances of NSMB selling more than say, MKDS.

CoolTrick said:
People expecting much over 350k for NSMB are setting themselves up for a tremendour disappointment.

CoolTrick said:
Do you have any retailer reports, Kobun? I am honestly feeling that we would have heard a bit more on the buzz and lines if NSMB was selling 500,000.

ioi said:
Well I'm calling it now:

1) DS New Super Mario Bros- 637k

koam said:
There's no way NSMB will sell 637k in one week.

ioi said:
Wanna bet? ;-)

koam said:
Yes, i will take that bet. I'll bet you $600 that NSMB will not sell 637K units on the first week.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Doesn't it seem like some people are overestimating the sales of NSMB in its first week? I'll say 275k first week

the-iek said:
nsmb prediction: 500 k :(

Magicpaint said:
I see, yeah seems reasonable for first week. I'm thinking 350K -400K myself for opening week.

Restricted_Area said:
Prediction
NSMB:
570K in the first week.

Dark Dragon said:
NSMB 550k first week then 250k>150k>100k>90k>60k>40k>20k for weeks.

Earthstrike said:
NSMB
800k first week at least.

kia said:
And this is my prediction for next week:

1. DS New Super Mario Bros - 620k

Chibbi Brady said:
1st week - 390k
Total - 1.8m

jamesinclair said:
I say 521k for week 1.

Culex said:
I'm predicting some insanely huge sales for this game (NSMB). I say 450k for the following week, but anything higher isn't out of the realm of possibility.

And then there were PhoenixDark's Monorojo impressions:

Monoro-- er said:
Considering Japan is obsessed with non games, I doubt they'll give real games a chance. NSMB would be lucky to garner 300,000 this year.

Phoenixrojo said:
50k first week

I give the "I was right last week" award to Rlan:

Rlan said:
GreenGlowingGoo said:
What are the predictions for NSMB?
Market watchers have suggested a possibility of "fucking shitloads".

Fantastic job, everybody. Much better than Wedbush could have done. :lol

lancubap

Jonnyram said:
And here's Matlock's GIF again for perspective:

nsmbw19wc.gif

So, if New Super Mario Bros. sells with a ratio like Super Mario Sunshine, it will arrive at 2 millions.
If it sells like Super Mario 64 DS, it will arrive at 4 millions.
If it sells like Super Mario 64, it will arrive at more thne 5 millions.

Only one thing is clear: I thought that Super Mario was in decline, but I was wrong and by far. This is the best Mario Launch in Japan and I think that it will sell like a fool and it will have sure long legs.
At this point, 3-4 millions are almost sure. More ? Possible.

jesusraz

How big is the Starfox franchise in Japan? Big enough to cause mayhem on release later this year?

Good to see Mother 3 clinging on to the chart, as well as Children of Mana. What are sales for those two likely to be? Can Mother 3 make it as far as 500,000 and Mana 350,000?

It seems Brain Training is the one who benefits more with new ds releases. I thought Animal Crossing would be higher with this insane sales shot.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot! Nice to see Kimikiss there, but its a good number? bad? really bad? I really don't know about dating sims numbers...

Top Bottom