• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
I then ignored the "Nifty" end-of-year 2002 list because it seemed to be compiled from a variety of sources and didn't list any additional GT3 Mega Hits sales for the second half of the year.

I mean the other EOY 2002 chart. Besides, I had previously excluded all games in the hodgepodge 2002 chart that didn't progress from their last charting, anyways.

charlequin said:
A year ago, my position would've been to jump in on Wii, but now I think I'd argue for a full-court-press DS plus HD-console-multiplat-for-the-Western-market strategy if you're a middle-rung third party without huge franchises, or the same strategy plus "take ONE huge franchise and put it on the Wii with as much resources as you can, then write the system off forever if it tanks" for the big guys. (I don't think I could really recommend going into PSP development for anyone who isn't already doing it.)
Yeah, going multiplat and aim at western tastes seems to be the thing to do atm, which is unfortunate imo (talking home console development). You can't really blame either Nintendo or third parties. Nintendo took a gamble by going the low-end route and third parties were still burned by the N64 and GC. Right now it seems third parties don't really know how to tackle the Wii - aim at the casual market, Nintendo's market (family entertainment) or go the other route and put out software Nintendo usually doesn't make. It seems no one except Capcom is willing to make an ambitious effort with the latter.

Speaking of which, I think Capcom is in a good position, they have succes both in the west and Japan with compelling software on pretty much all plattforms and have positioned themselves very well.

NintendosBooger said:
Both EA and Sega were firmly on the Wii bandwagon early.
EA doesn't really matter all that much in Japan. Sega has good support, but mainly benefitted in the west.

AnimeTheme said:
You can quite easily tell that it's not solely Capcom's own decision to make the MH shift from PS3 to Wii. Nintendo was actively involved.
Quite easily tell by what? The video message at the Nintendo conference?

Xeke said:
So does anyone think there will be a DS price drop before the holidays?
Don't think so. Sales are still healthy and Nintendo will most likely ride this price as long as possible.

donny2112 said:
WII Baroque 660 / NEW
Holy cow. I guess there have to be many games that perform like this, but we so rarely get to see numbers in this range. This is the sort of thing where a rounding error would eliminate it, or you start to suspect that people bought it by accident. . . .

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
I guess there have to be many games that perform like this, but we so rarely get to see numbers in this range.

Seeing these < 1000 numbers is rare, but games selling less than 1000 in their debut week is not. All you have to do is look at how many games are released in a week in Japan, and see how many never chart to get an idea.

Pachael

Vinnk said:
Sony fans like horses?

Nintendo fans only like these games when "horses" is spelled with a "Z"?

The entire horse fanbase is less than the 3D Metroid fanbase?

Nah. I got nothing.

Don't make fun of us Winning Post fans ;p
*hugs WP6 PS2 copy*

Yeah, the horse fanbase is probably 10x smaller than the shooter and visual novel fanbases. And Baroque Wii fanbases. Small niche fanbases unite :mad:

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Laguna said:
Monster Hunter 2G is really a wild card and almost impossible to predict correct. It´s sales will depend on how well Capcom marketed the expansions.

It's definitely getting attention in my local game store and bic camera. Not to mention a brand new PSP color and cool little shwag for the game. I'd expect it's LTD to be around 1/2 to 2/3 of MHP:2's and 300-400k first week *bundle included.

Lightning

Banned
muramura said:
It's definitely getting attention in my local game store and bic camera. Not to mention a brand new PSP color and cool little shwag for the game. I'd expect it's LTD to be around 1/2 to 2/3 of MHP:2's and 300-400k first week *bundle included.
I heard Capcom have shipped 700k and last I read Capcom expect 1mil sales. So Capcom are expecting it to be a grand success.

Phife Dawg said:
You can't really blame either Nintendo or third parties.

I prefer to blame both! :D This is a classic prisoner's dilemma situation, I think -- if either side had made a better effort and the other reciprocated it both would be in a better position than they're in by both holding back.

Speaking of which, I think Capcom is in a good position, they have succes both in the west and Japan with compelling software on pretty much all plattforms and have positioned themselves very well.

Agreed. It wasn't coincidence that the strategy I described was so close to what Capcom is actually doing; I think they have a really solid handle on the current situation and it's going to pay off handsomely for them. (I'd love to see them revive Breath of Fire, though.)

Phife Dawg said:
Quite easily tell by what? The video message at the Nintendo conference?

We are talking about a game series born and growing strong on "PlayStation" (PS2/PSP), with a sequel already announced on PS3 before anything else, but all of a sudden it jumped to Wii without even leaving a multiplatform port for PS3. You seriously think such dramatic change was not influenced by anything else other than Capcom's own decision?

And yeah, a third party title being announced in such a high profile in a Nintendo conference, with a stress on its exclusivity, makes you wonder about the same thing as well.

LCGeek

formerly sane
charlequin said:
I prefer to blame both! :D This is a classic prisoner's dilemma situation, I think -- if either side had made a better effort and the other reciprocated it both would be in a better position than they're in by both holding back.

Good point

This shit was brewing for two generations, nes/snes, devs retaliated with n64/gc. and now time will tell if all the parties involved are mature companies or just a bunch of bitches who can't get over the past. The sad part is both parties greed and way of doing things are preventing them from doing the one thing they have in common given me fully priced titles knowing the amount of polish just isn't what they use to put in to products.

cvxfreak said:
It's a holiday in Japan, I think, explaining the MC delay.

I was wondering why the new game release day for this week was Wednesday (3/19), not the usual Thursday. Now this looks reasonable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
It's a holiday in Japan, I think, explaining the MC delay.
That would also explain the huge amount of games coming out this week. I have a feeling some of the smaller DS games might get swallowed. :(

AnimeTheme said:
We are talking about a game series born and growing strong on "PlayStation" (PS2/PSP), with a sequel already announced on PS3 before anything else, but all of a sudden it jumped to Wii without even leaving a multiplatform port for PS3. You seriously think such dramatic change was not influenced by anything else other than Capcom's own decision?

And yeah, a third party title being announced in such a high profile in a Nintendo conference, with a stress on its exclusivity, makes you wonder about the same thing as well.
Capcom have shown before that they don't care about allegiances (felt by gamers). The reasons given for the shift make sense, all PS3 big franchise games fell short and this is with inflated developing budgets. Home console MH isn't as big as the portable ones so there's not a huge fanbase to possibly alienate - it's the right move for Capcom. You have to at least try to get a grip on the Wii userbase. A multiplat release wouldn't make a lot sense imo since assetts couldn't easily be developed/shared between both versions.

Of course the video message could be seen as a hint for a Nintendo involvement but it's not clear cut. Nintendo would of course use this to their advantage, just like the DQIX announcement. Do you think Nintendo was involved in that one as well?

Phife Dawg said:
Capcom have shown before that they don't care about allegiances (felt by gamers). The reasons given for the shift make sense, all PS3 big franchise games fell short and this is with inflated developing budgets. Home console MH isn't as big as the portable ones so there's not a huge fanbase to possibly alienate - it's the right move for Capcom. You have to at least try to get a grip on the Wii userbase. A multiplat release wouldn't make a lot sense imo since assetts couldn't easily be developed/shared between both versions.

Of course the video message could be seen as a hint for a Nintendo involvement but it's not clear cut. Nintendo would of course use this to their advantage, just like the DQIX announcement. Do you think Nintendo was involved in that one as well?

lol yeah Capcom is somewhat well known for its "betrayal", but we are talking about canning an already announced title, and going to another platform exclusively. We have been talking about how PS3 is losing exclusives, but in most cases it still has a multiplatform port. I seriously can't remember any recent similar incident on any platform with such a shifting action.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Liabe Brave said:
Holy cow. I guess there have to be many games that perform like this, but we so rarely get to see numbers in this range. This is the sort of thing where a rounding error would eliminate it, or you start to suspect that people bought it by accident. . . .

The PS2 version of the game has been out for some time, hasn't it?

LCGeek

formerly sane
AnimeTheme said:
lol yeah Capcom is somewhat well known for its "betrayal", but we are talking about canning an already announced title, and going to another platform exclusively. We have been talking about how PS3 is losing exclusives, but in most cases it still has a multiplatform port. I seriously can't remember any recent similar incident on any platform with such a shifting action.

With that logic one could argue FF7 should've showed up on N64. Publishers/Devs will do whatever keeps them floating along.

LCGeek said:
With that logic one could argue FF7 should've showed up on N64. Publishers/Devs will do whatever keeps them floating along.

I dunno, but was there a FF7 title announced on N64 before it went to PS? And we all know that Sony worked hard enough with Square to make the FF shift.

And seriously, if MH3 shift was solely a business decision, I see no reason why it wouldn't go to PSP instead.

Terrell

AnimeTheme said:
I dunno, but was there a FF7 title announced on N64 before it went to PS? And we all know that Sony worked hard enough with Square to make the FF shift.

And seriously, if MH3 shift was solely a business decision, I see no reason why it wouldn't go to PSP instead.
Because there's ALREADY a Monster Hunter series on portables, maybe? Doubling up makes no sense.
And as much as people refuse to hear it, maybe Capcom has found something really novel to do with the Wiimote in this franchise.

ethelred

Terrell said:
Because there's ALREADY a Monster Hunter series on portables, maybe? Doubling up makes no sense.
And as much as people refuse to hear it, maybe Capcom has found something really novel to do with the Wiimote in this franchise.

Capcom admitted that the move had nothing to do with interest in the controller.

Lobster

Banned
AnimeTheme said:

Portable series and console series are different.

There will be a Monster Hunter Portable 3.

AnimeTheme said:
A title which was nothing more than an announcement and a logo.

AnimeTheme said:

MHP3 will go to PSP, I think we can all agree on that.

Phife Dawg said:
I'm not so sure, MH3 won't hit in 2008, and Portable entries took their time to be released. First one 13 months after MH and 11 after MHG, the second one 1 year after MH2, now MHP2G is 1 year after MHP2 or 2 years after MH2.

Putting MH3 as a February-March 2009 release, I can't see a MHP3 before December that year at the earliest.

Not saying that PSP could be dead by then but that the usual schedule they have had doesn't leave them much space for the portable version.

Who knows, maybe they are working on MHP3 already along MH3, so they are released very near each other for the first time. Or maybe they are waiting to put it on the next DS or the next PSP (2010?). Its Capcom after all, its likely that MHP3 will end up on PSP, but I'm not 100% sure.

gconsole

Monster Hunter PS2 sale 250K with no popularity history
Monster Hunter G PS2 sale 250K with MH popularity history
Monster Hunter P sale 1.2M with MH and MHG popularity history

Monster Hunter 2 PS2 sale 450K with MHP popularity history
Monster Hunter P2 sale 1.6M with MH2 and MHP popularity history

Monster Hunter 3 sale ? with MHP2 popularity history

You do the math. The next console version will surely make some impact. More or less.

Phife Dawg said:

A port from the console version as usual, yeah very likely, but imagine if we have a brand new original sequel on PSP... it could be another Final Fantasy in terms of sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
This one. As usual, Famitsu combined the dual release into a single entry.

Ah ok. I just saw the Media Create ranking and i only saw 1 Konami title in the top 10, thats why i wondered. I didnt really check closely outside the top 10 so i didnt noticed that Famitsu combined those 2 releases. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Top Bottom