• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

mabuza

Banned
i remmember people saying square enix needs to make more catridges to cope with the insane demand for revenant wings:lol

Ynos Yrros said:
Thing is, that with each next great game on the system, it's value raises. Right now, PS3 in Japan has.... 1,2.... maybe 3 great games. Ridge Racer 7, which was killed by the worst launch ever, Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2, and Gundam Musou, which isn't a very good game IMO, but it's enough for fans.
Right now, PS3's value is very close to zero as a gaming system in Japan. Why would people buy it? Now with MinGol, NGS and so on so on, the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches. The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.

Of course thinking that PS3 won't die is blasphemy.
Considering that DS in March 2005 sold around 20k per week, and now is selling 100k per week, I think such a scenario is possible.

But there is also the possibility that the initially low sales may hurt 3rd party support, and we may see some "big" games delayed, hurting sales even more.
Anyway I think ps3 can reach a stable 20-30k of weekly sales with the right games, and some price drops at the right time.

Xeke

Banned
First Children said:
Considering that DS in March 2005 sold around 20k per week, and now is selling 100k per week, I think such a scenario is possible.

But there is also the possibility that the initially low sales may hurt 3rd party support, and we may see some "big" games delayed, hurting sales even more.
Anyway I think ps3 can reach a stable 20-30k of weekly sales with the right games.

Yes but the DS didn't explode off of pre-established franchises. It was sold out long before NSMB or Pokemon hit it. PS3 needs a major sleeper hit to pull of the same thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cyan said:
So... how does one go about buying Nintendo stock?

I believe you need to buy a minimum of 100 shares, and Nintendo is around $315 US a share before brokerage fees or anything. So, first, you sell all your shit and get $31,500 in cash.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
First Children said:
1. The DS wasn't utterly failing at that point (March 2005), the PS3 is utterly failing right now
2. The DS was pushed by new franchises and a novel market position (touch generation & all)
3. Probably the most important point, before "exploding" the DS was already and had already been at the summit of the handheld market while the PS3 is currently at the bottom of the console market.

Izzy

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
Sony is also over 60 billion in debt, and has little to no cash reserves left, its market cap is at 60bln and falling.... Sony is done, they cant dig themselves out of debt with every division taking huge losses.

Now that's an expert analysis - as accurate as ever.

Izzy

Banned
_41224914_ferguson203.jpg

apujanata

For the poster who requested it :

GBA LTD, M-create, up to April 16-22, 2007 :
GB Micro 586,649
GBA SP 5,940,735
GameBoy Advance 8,542,613

donny2112

Famitsu April 9-15

1. NDS Ace Attorney 4 240275 / NEW
2. NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 83517 / NEW
3. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 45315 / 582674
4. WII Wii Sports 35065 / 1313488
5. NDS More English Training 28288 / 116516
6. PS2 Musou Orochi 25299 / 567852
7. PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 24362 / 112661
8. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 23528 / 448663
9. PS2 Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 21503 / 96902
10. WII Wii Play 21483 / 1076683
11. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 21181 / 4351018
12. PSP Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable 20454 / 76892
13. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 18874 / 5015388
14. PS2 Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ 18054 / 240041
15. NDS Brain Training 2 16307 / 4225415
16. NDS Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS 15855 / 222124
17. NDS Watashi no Relaxuma 14994 / NEW
18. PS2 Grim Grimoire 14865 / NEW
19. NDS Digimon Story Sunburst/Moonlight 13777 / 111792
20. PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 13365 / 40578
21. NDS Mario Kart DS 11933 / 2067025
22. PS2 Pro Baseball Netsu Stadium 2007 11688 / 33407
23. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 11550 / 1150188
24. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 10919 / 4017298
25. NDS Tamagotchi no Appare! Niji-Venture 10589 / 67907
26. NDS General Knowledge Training 10573 / 1338663
27. NDS DS Kageyama Method Electronic Kanji Drills 9748 / 20172
28. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 8849 / 1325887
29. NDS Case Closed! Detective Trainer 8644 / 27155
30. NDS Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Legend 7879 / 103852

Pokemon crosses 5 million.

So we've frequently looked at graphs of how PS3 and Wii compare to PS2 and GCN all from their respective launches, but I thought another interesting way to look at things would be to compare PS3 and Wii from the beginning of this year with PS2's various years. Due to this being PS2's 8th calendar year, it makes for a pretty crowded graph. I should also note that due to years not being exactly 52 weeks, by looking at so many sets of 52 weeks there should be 1 or 2 PS2 weeks missing from somewhere in there.

Cumulative
What can we see here? Wii is ahead of 6 of PS2's years at this point, the exceptions being 2000 & 2002. It is notable, though, that while PS2 2001 is low on the rung for this time of year, I believe it was due to worldwide shortages still in effect, as it ended up being PS2's second best year. PS3, on the other hand, is below all PS2 years except for 2007.

Weekly (Maximum limited to 200K so the few higher weeks don't scrunch everything else at the bottom.)
What can we see here? Ehh, less, since everything hops around so much. Wii has on a few occasions (but not many) outsold what PS2 did in any year for that week. With the exception of Gundabump week, PS3 is hanging out with PS2's numbers from 2006 & 2007... mostly 2007.

gcfan2k5

Stumpokapow said:
I believe you need to buy a minimum of 100 shares, and Nintendo is around $315 US a share before brokerage fees or anything. So, first, you sell all your shit and get $31,500 in cash.

Its over 370 a share currently, before fees.

Stumpokapow said:

Wrong. Get a Scottrade account with a min balance of $500. You get 3 free trades. You can buy any amount. I purchased 10 shares of Nintendo stock in 2005 and just sold it. Easy

And its $40/share. When I purchased it was $17

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=NTDOY

gcfan2k5

GreenNight said:
Wrong. Get a Scottrade account with a min balance of $500. You get 3 free trades. You can buy any amount. I purchased 10 shares of Nintendo stock in 2005 and just sold it. Easy

And its $40/share. When I purchased it was $17

That isnt nintendo stock, thats an ADR, its shares an american bank bought and split up for trade on the american market, i suggest you do some research before you make statements.

gcfan2k5 said:
That isnt nintendo stock, thats an ADR, its shares an american bank bought and split up for trade on the american market, i suggest you do some research before you make statements.

And whats wrong with it? Those shares made me a ton of money.

gcfan2k5

GreenNight said:
And whats wrong with it? Those shares made me a ton of money.

That may be so, but he was asking about buying official nintendo shares, which wouldve made you alot more money alot quicker.

gcfan2k5 said:

Wow, you're pleasant.

gcfan2k5 said:
That may be so, but he was asking about buying official nintendo shares, which wouldve made you alot more money alot quicker.

Nintendo shares are Nintendo shares, regardless if they are sold by them or a 3rd party. You dont get "fake" shares. Also try being a little more diplomatic in the future or you wont be lasting long around here junior.

gcfan2k5

GreenNight said:
Nintendo shares are Nintendo shares, regardless if they are sold by them or a 3rd party. You dont get "fake" shares. Also try being a little more diplomatic in the future or you wont be lasting long around here junior.

Im plenty diplomatic when i need to be, and right now i dont need to be, ive been accused of being an idiot, on this very page by another person, so im angry, and i provided the proof to back up my statement as well. I dont need to justify my mood with you or anyone else. Good day sir.

gcfan2k5 said:
Im plenty diplomatic when i need to be, and right now i dont need to be, ive been accused of being an idiot, on this very page by another person, so im angry, and i provided the proof to back up my statement as well. I dont need to justify my mood with you or anyone else. Good day sir.

Dont be an idiot :D

Narag

gcfan2k5 said:
dash.jpg
[

gcfan2k5

Izzy said:
Instead of using 3 year old Bloomberg quote, you could use the latest Sony Corp. stats here.

invalid link, and id prefer to use a source that isnt a known liar :lol bloomberg is well respected in the financial world, and sony cant have paid down 61bln in debt in 3 years.

Once again with the ADRs, the ADR data is worthless as a whole, and isnt even reliable, sonys market cap based on its actual stock price is over 60bln, that alone proves the data unreliable.

Is this the first sales thread with all the new juniors? Seems like the average quality of the posts has gone down in the past week.

gcfan2k5

GreenNight said:
Is this the first sales thread with all the new juniors? Seems like the average quality of the posts has gone down in the past week.

Im not one of the new juniors, im part of the last batch i guess :D

Edit: i guess im no longer a junior :lol

wow animal crossing with over 4 million sold.

Nintendo needs to get on a fully updated version of this game for wii.

considering the n64 incarnation has prey much sold 3 times. n64, gamecube and ds.

the games aren't that much different.

if they really improved upon the already awesome formula on Wii that will be one hell of a system seller in japan.

gcfan2k5

GreenNight said:
Congrats on the promotion :)

Dont know how i couldve possibly earned it, im not at 100 posts yet, maybe its because i talked shit about sony and backed it up with numbers showing the poor state of the company as a whole?:lol

LJ11

gcfan2k5 said:
invalid link, and id prefer to use a source that isnt a known liar :lol bloomberg is well respected in the financial world, and sony cant have paid down 61bln in debt in 3 years.

Once again with the ADRs, the ADR data is worthless as a whole, and isnt even reliable, sonys market cap based on its actual stock price is over 60bln, that alone proves the data unreliable.

Do you trust Forbes? Just add the Short and Long term Debt, which equals the same number as Yahoo's. I bet they're lying too. Sony's liabilities may be around 60B, but not their debt load.

:lol @ ADR data not being reliable, you are an idiot.

gcfan2k5

edwardslane said:
wow animal crossing with over 4 million sold.

Nintendo needs to get on a fully updated version of this game for wii.

considering the n64 incarnation has prey much sold 3 times. n64, gamecube and ds.

the games aren't that much different.

if they really improved upon the already awesome formula on Wii that will be one hell of a system seller in japan.

You know its coming, an animal crossing that takes advantage of large amounts of ram, much more disc space (AC on cube doesnt count, it was intended as a port of the N64 game for the western world) and the wiimote, its going to be a very amazing thing :D

gcfan2k5 said:
Dont know how i couldve possibly earned it, im not at 100 posts yet, maybe its because i talked shit about sony and backed it up with numbers showing the poor state of the company as a whole?:lol
You're at 155 posts and counting, Fez.

gcfan2k5

LJ11 said:
Do you trust Forbes? Just add the Short and Long term Debt, which equals the same number as Yahoo's. I bet they're lying too. Sony's liabilities may be around 60B, but not their debt load.

:lol @ ADR data not being reliable, you are an idiot.

The market cap for SNE is listed at what? 50 billion for the ADR? the actual market cap is hovering around 64bln currently, and as for whether the debt stands at 11bln or 60bln, it doesnt matter when sony as a whole is bleeding money, and they are getting trashed in every market from every direction. I still believe they owe 60bln, unless bloomberg are liars, which they arent.

Top Bottom