• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

polluar said:
According to sinobi:

this week sales data:

FFXII RW : around 300 000
Panel de Pon: around 30 000
Phoenir wright 4: 40 000
Maro vs donkey kong 2: 30 000

DS lite exceeds 200 000

WTF?
It means RW make more PS2 users go buy DS?

Just to put things into some perspective, FFIII sold 500,000 in its first week, and just barely reached 1,000,000. 500-600k lifetime seems pretty reasonable for FFXII:RW

Parl

This week: PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

In how much GAF cares for the numbers

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
polluar said:
According to sinobi:

this week sales data:

DS lite exceeds 200 000

Seems like Ace Attorney 4 didn't sell through its initial shipment like I expected.

polluar said:
According to sinobi:

this week sales data:

DS lite exceeds 200 000

200k for the DS Lite means only that stocks are still low.

dkeane

Gamecocks625 said:
What is Golden Week?
It's a week that Nintendo makes insane profits. So it's like most weeks but multiplied.

also...
Many Japanese take paid time off on the intervening work days, but some companies also close down completely and give their employees time off. Golden week is the longest vacation period of the year for many Japanese jobs. Two other holidays may also be observed for most or all of a week: Oshōgatsu in January and Obon in August. Golden Week is an extremely popular time to travel. Flights, trains, and hotels are often fully booked despite significantly higher rates at this time. Popular foreign destinations in Asia, Guam, Saipan, Hawaii, and major cities in the U.S. west coast such as Los Angeles, Seattle, and San Francisco), as well as in Europe, are affected during these seasons by large numbers of Japanese tourists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

Parl

100,000 per week is was insane for a gaming console. 200,000 in a week (unless with new big software) is impossible. Don't believe.

Ace Attorney 4 has done pretty well, though. I doubt anyone at Capcom is terribly upset. FFXIIRW did alright for a game that not many are too thrilled with. I mean hey, it topped LanceStern's line in one week.

Parl

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
200k is low for the DS. Period.

I wouldn't go that far. I imagine that if Nintendo continuously shipped 200,000 per week and adjusted for the holidays by shipping much much more, they'd balance the demand backlog out within several months and will no longer be selling out.

It'd still be selling with insane numbers, however. Likely with a higher amount sold per week on average than we've seen before.

Any anecdotal reports of increased Wii supply? We've all been assuming they've been preparing a Golden Week bombshell for months.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ace Attorney 4 has done pretty well, though. I doubt anyone at Capcom is terribly upset. FFXIIRW did alright for a game that not many are too thrilled with. I mean hey, it topped LanceStern's line in one week.

You stole my line!

But yeah, that's rather good for RW, but thankfully it hasn't eclipsed FFIII or DQM:J like I feared it would.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
200k is low for the DS. Period.

Are you kidding me?

Taurus

Parl said:
100,000 per week is was insane for a gaming console. 200,000 in a week (unless with new big software) is impossible. Don't believe.
Propably sold out, so there's a reason why only 200k.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
200k is low now?

I remember MC threads back when I was a junior member and the best selling system at that time barely did more than 70k

Taurus

Error said:
200k is low now?

I remember MC threads back when I was a junior member and the best selling system at that time barely did more than 70k
There are few things you are missing here.

Non-game systems and fads are targeted for bigger audiences, so basically their audience is about 6 billions.

Real gaming systems etc are targeted for hardcore, which is a lot more smaller audience, let's say about 50 millions.

So yes, 200k is very low for a non-gaming system and less than 100k is actually catastrophic for a fad. Anything over 10k is good for a hardcore targeted system.

Stop being reasonable and think it like GAF does.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A shame we'll probably never see those 400-500K numbers again for the DS.

Sigh.

Two weeks of MC-thread beauty.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, but if the reports are true they are only 60,000 away from selling the first shipment.

I hear many people felt disappointed with the game. Specifically,
the disproportionate role Phoenix played in it

Still, it shouldn't affect sales too much. And Capcom probably isn't anything but glad at these numbers.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think he means in relation to this being Golden Week.
Did people expect the number to be three time as much as a normal week? This is a decent bump from what the DS has been pushing for most of 2007 already and we all know the system is supply constrained in Japan, so what numbers were people expecting?

Magicpaint said:
Did people expect the number to be three time as much as a normal week? This is a decent bump from what the DS has been pushing for most of 2007 already and we all know the system is supply constrained in Japan, so what numbers were people expecting?

Well that's the thing; I think people really overestimate the power of "Golden Week". The thinking is if the DS can sell 120k in a week, it will sell 3 times as many, regardless of shipment numbers.

Could it happen? Almost assuredly, if the stock is there. There were a lot of people speculating that Nintendo was saving units for this week specifically too. It's a number of extenuating factors.

I personally expected about 180k. But i'm notorious for supremely lowballing numbers anyway.

apotema

Pureauthor said:
I hear many people felt disappointed with the game. Specifically,
the disproportionate role Phoenix played in it

Still, it shouldn't affect sales too much. And Capcom probably isn't anything but glad at these numbers.

Quick Capcom, shift focus to PSP

farnham

Banned
last week 150k of Super paper mario (wowzah)
40k of big brain age
one piece sold out (50k first shipment)

Wii sold about 75k

farnham said:
40k of big brain age

Wii sold about 75k

WOW at Super Paper Mario. Big Brain Academy has had a low start, but it is recovering. Expected for a "Brain game". Wii shortages on the other hand still persist and I doubt that in the short/medium term something will change.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Well that's the thing; I think people really overestimate the power of "Golden Week".

That might be it. I can't remember the last time Golden Week provided hardware sales boost on par with the end of the year holiday period, so maybe that's why the numbers don't seem low to me, they're higher than last week's by around 30k.

farnham said:
40k of big brain age

Wii sold about 75k

Guess they had no confidence on the damn game or have a larger second shipment in mind for this week's holiday week

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WOW at Super Paper Mario. Big Brain Academy has had a low start, but it is recovering. Expected for a "Brain game". Wii shortages on the other hand still persist and I doubt that in the short/medium term something will change.
Actually, there is a marked increase in Wii shipments if that 75k figure holds out. Remember the Wii shipment cycle of 70k-50k-70k-50k or 70k-70k-50k-50k? The past three weeks, the Wii hasn't dipped below 70k. We might be seeing a pattern of 50k more units each month.

Brak said:
It's like a Heracles myth. We love his strength when he has a task to do, but when he has no way to channel his rage-a-hol, he ends up killing his wife.

That's the answer to our problems, Nintendo must be purified of their miasma from murdering Sony. Hopefully Nintendo's punishment will be to make an online Advance Wars game.

Really, the murder of his family was Hera's fault, not his own.

Top Bottom