• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

ziran

creamsugar said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/02/103,1178081479,71171,0,0.html

Nintendo's 4/23 ~ 4/29 :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)
Wow!

So, with the numbers we have in this thread from creamsugar (thanks), sinobi and a few estimates:

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) 289,325
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii) ~75K (~225K total)
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS) ~70K
4. Wii Sports (Wii) ~50K
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii) ~40K
6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS) ~40K
7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii) ~35K
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS) ~30K
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS) ~30K
10. Wii Play (Wii) ~30K

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
The possibility that Nintendo could totally dominate with a system that is not only less powerful than their system of choice, but could do it after a generation as the third-placed loser is shocking to those who use the success of their system of choice as a source of pride. Namely: fanboys. Sony fanboys in particular.

Sony fanboys have never tasted console defeat. Not once. They got burned a little with the PSP and made a thousand threads listing the best games for the system to compensate, but they felt safe because they were on top of the home console hill. They came into this generation backing the most powerful console and the favourite to win. For them, to have this system not just trumped, but slaughtered by something they dismissed as kiddy and irrelevant not six months ago stings. A lot.

Sony fanboys are now avoiding sales threads like Superman avoids Kryptonite. They can't go into sales threads and bully Nintendo fans anymore (like they used to) because Nintendo fans have the numbers on their side. Not only that, if they forecast situations that end with Sony on top, they have to justify their predictions, something that also did not happen in the past when they enjoyed the consensus.

As for N-tards being defensive, this may have been true in the past, when constant mocking forced many to cling to any false hope or to apologist tactics. Nowadays and in future years however, you will see Nintendo fans becoming more and more like the Sony fans of yesteryear and Sony fans becoming more and more like the old Nintendo fans.

As the PS3 loses its big Japanese exclusives (and don't think it won't happen:- Dragon Quest IX, baby) and big name releases fail to produce anything more in terms of sales than an inconsequential bump (a la Gundam Musou), Sony fans will cling to anything that will put them on top. Don't be surprised at the words "Superior Version" being bandied around for multiplatform releases, reactionary threads to any good news for Nintendo spinning it in a bad light, lots of PS3 love-in threads treading the same ground over and over as well as the continued (mis)use of language such as "next-gen".

A bully mocks because he wants to feel superior to somebody; he has inherently low self-esteem. Thus, when the bullies become the bullied, expect them to get whiny and defensive, just like the Nintendo fans of the Cube era. What I'm saying in a nutshell: expect the Tabris's and Drohnes of today to become the Gahiggidys of tomorrow.
The thought of becoming as obnoxious as a Sony fanboy isn't pleasant, so it's something I'm going to fight against. However, just for giggles I'm going to give it a try:

Witness the true power of the Nintendo brand!

Wow, that was easy! :lol

...but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would :(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

ULTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spwolf

Taurus said:
This just in:

Does anyone remember Wii tie-ratios in different regions? In US it was close to 5.0 if I remember correctly? That's bad, it should be higher, higher, HIGHER!

Seriously, wtf are you babbling about?

Yeah, count out game that comes with controller and count out free game that you get with Wii and you get what? European sales are at the bottom of software charts, etc, etc...

This is exactly what I am talking about - you cant criticize N for anything, you are instantly babbling :).

PS3 sales in Japan suck, PS3 software in Japan doesnt sell at all... all rite... but that doesnt mean everything is rosy in N world...

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Since Zelda's strength was never storytelling, the games could never form a convincing, detailed mythology.

What we haven't mentioned though is that the game almost always achieves the sense of a huge, cohesive world with different cultures and unexplored regions and secrets. The mythology is there, but it is never fully developed or explained, leaving the player to shape a part of the world with his own imagination.

Disagree with the first, agree´d with the second.
Zelda never, except Twilight Princess and in parts Majoras Mask and TWW, told a great story relating to the "NOW" world, to the "NOW" characters, and such. We always have little information about the NOW, BUT:
Nearly every Zelda-game gives a whole lot of mythology. OoT tells you the mythology in cutscenes, TWW has relicts in the shape of the dragon and whale-guardian. TP brings mythology in form of Ganondorf´s backstory, of how the elder do their work.
People often say, Zelda doesnt have a deep story. It´s the opposite: Zelda has one bit of a TOO DEEP story, that isnt really explained, but it is there.

@numbers:

I said WOW!
Nintendo-week ftw

Taurus

spwolf said:
Yeah, count out game that comes with controller and count out free game that you get with Wii and you get what? European sales are at the bottom of software charts, etc, etc...
Yeah, and remember to count out non-games and waggle games too!

This is exactly what I am talking about - you cant criticize N for anything, you are instantly babbling :).
Criticism =/= nonsense.

PS3 sales in Japan/US suck, PS3 software in Japan/US doesnt sell at all... all rite... but that doesnt mean everything is rosy in N world...
fixed. I didn't say anywhere that everything is fine with Nintendo, now did I? I just proved you are wrong.

TheLegend

spwolf said:

PS3 sales in Japan suck, PS3 software in Japan doesnt sell at all... all rite... but that doesnt mean everything is rosy in N world...
No it sounds like he's backing up his claims with actual numbers/charts. Again, even IF Wii software sales are bad, what do you call PS3's performance? Seems an a lot more rosy in N world than in S world right now...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
spwolf said:
stuff QUOTE]

Again..right now may not be the best time and place to make the argument that Wii software doesn't sell in Japan.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
spwolf said:
Yeah, count out game that comes with controller

I didn't see you or anybody else doing that with the EyeToy... Should we disregard this (or its equivalant game) from now on as a selling point for the PS3 too?

Tf53

spwolf said:
Yeah, count out game that comes with controller and count out free game that you get with Wii and you get what?
Honestly, I don't understand this. If we count out all the games that are on XBOX 360 and PS3, the HD consoles don't have games at all. Or if we count out 3rd parties on the Wii, 3rd parties on the Wii have sold 0 copies.

Why are we counting out? If a company is smart enough to bundle a game with a controller and people buy it, kudos to them. Last time I checked, a controller was still cheaper than Wii Play.

spwolf

SovanJedi said:
I didn't see you or anybody else doing that with the EyeToy... Should we disregard this (or its equivalant game) from now on as a selling point for the PS3 too?

controllers always sell better than periphals....

CAPCOWNED said:
Seriously, no gamer can be happy with that list.
1 Lame duck RTSPG with Final Fantasy name slapped on it
1 Awesome adventure/RPG
1 New installment in a video game series that has ran for 20 years, based on a board game.
1 Simple arcadey sports game
1 Quiz/mini-game challenge
1 Good old fashioned adventure game
1 Anime based whatevs
1 Puzzle game from one of the best puzzle series ever
1 Lemmings style action/puzzler
1 Controller

I see a couple things in that list I'm not personally thrilled with (so-so FF game dominating, anime garbaj, and the controller), but I also see some great adventure games and a couple good puzzlers. I guess if you don't like those genres? I realize those genres haven't been popular in a while, but surely fans of those genres deserve their fun too, don't they?

spwolf

Tf53 said:
Honestly, I don't understand this. If we count out all the games that are on XBOX 360 and PS3, the HD consoles don't have games at all. Or if we count out 3rd parties on the Wii, 3rd parties on the Wii have sold 0 copies.

Why are we counting out? If a company is smart enough to bundle a game with a controller and people buy it, kudos to them. Last time I checked, a controller was still cheaper than Wii Play.

exactly what I am talking about... 2 free games sell awesomly :D
My bad, Wii Play is $10 :)

spwolf said:
spwolf, this is a thread about Japanese sales. Wii Sports isn't free in Japan. It sells just like any other title. And it's done tremendous business, on it's own outselling every piece of software on the competition put together.

Also, that list up there isn't by definition Nintendo-only. It's just that nothing else sold well enough to crack into it.

Oh, and like you I feel it's a bit disingenuous to talk about Wii Play sales because of the controller pack-in, but looking at how Wii Sports has sold on its own, I'm not so sure Wii Play wouldn't still be doing huge numbers, with or without the controller. Certainly not as huge, though.

Durante

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Don't be surprised at the words "Superior Version" being bandied around for multiplatform releases
While the rest of your rant is entertaining and enlightening from a psychological perspective (I'm still amazed at how much some people are invested in corporations - newsflash: they don't care about you, so you shouldn't care about them), I really have to step in here. Many people - Nintendo fans in particular - seem to still be unable to realize what is, and will be, happening this generation: it is simply not possible to develop a traditional (PS2/XBX/GC era) multiplatform game for Wii, 360 and PS3.

The technological features and control options are so vastly different between the Wii and the other 2 contenders (you can also throw PCs in that mix) that you just won't see the same game on them. Maybe in some cases there will be games developed under a single name, but they will still be entirely different projects. Multiplatform next-gen games will mean PS360PC. Wii will get (lots of, it currently looks like) Wii games. So personally, I don't see how you can predict the words "Superior Version" being bandied around in this context. (Aside from the fact that, if there were such beasts, they indeed would invariably be superior on PS360 - unlike last gen, the power differential is not just significant but staggering)

All of this also means that Wii most likely won't take up a PS2-like position - even if it comes close to selling as much - or, hey, more! It won't be the lead platform for multiplatform games like PS2 was, because there won't be multiplatform Wii games.

Tf53

spwolf said:
So we can count out re-releases and Platinum/Classic/budget releases as well? Nintendo's own games cost less at least here in Europe, so we can't count those either, huh? :)

All of this also means that Wii most likely won't take up a PS2-like position - even if it comes close to selling as much - or, hey, more! It won't be the lead platform for multiplatform games like PS2 was, because there won't be multiplatform Wii games.

Blood will flow in the streets if devs simply made a game for the Wii and used those assets for the PS3/360. :lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

mk4.gif

That's how I expect lists to look like after this 2K7 xmas.

Nintendo has killed Sony.

schuelma

spwolf still hasn't addressed the elephant in the room- the fact that this week Wii software did incredibly well in Japan.

Mar

creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

Holy ****ing shit.

Real gamers panic, the 4th dimension collapses, cats and dogs, living together.

nli10

spwolf said:
controllers always sell better than periphals....

But buzz comes with FOUR controllers & Singstar comes with Peripherals and you seem to like their sales - what gives?

Seriously, I like your trolling of Sales threads - it keeps them bumped - but knocking Wii games sales on the most sucessful Wii week in Japan so far and when the attach rates were just anounced for all territories and much higher than expected is leaving yourself open to mocking laughter. :lol

Durante

nli10 said:
But buzz comes with FOUR controllers & Singstar comes with Peripherals and you seem to like their sales - what gives?
That's a bullshit argument. I can't believe I'm defending spwolf, but in this case you have absolutely nothing to stand on. The "games" (and I dislike using that term for them :p) you mention come with special-purpose controllers. Wii Play comes with a general-purpose Wiimote. That's why I bought it. Huge difference.

schuelma

Durante said:
That's a bullshit argument. I can't believe I'm defending spwolf, but in this case you have absolutely nothing to stand on. The "games" (and I dislike using that term for them :p) you mention come with special-purpose controllers. Wii Play comes with a general-purpose Wiimote. That's why I bought it. Huge difference.

Yup. spwolf may have a point in Europe since Wii Play seems to be the top selling software, and I do think he's correct that it shouldn't count as a full game.

In Japan....not so much.

justchris

Oh quit it guys, last week was a fluke. This week will go back to DS dominating and Wii only holding on to a few spots in the top 10.

spwolf said:

Ignoring the rest of your argument, this is wrong. I'm fine with not counting Wii Play since it comes with a controller, but in Japan, Wii Sports is sold as a separate game. You cannot buy it with your Wii, you have to buy it separately. In fact, if the store where you buy your Wii doesn't have a copy, you then have to go to another store and actively search for Wii Sports. The fact that Wii Sports, on it's own, has outsold every single PS3 game in total in Japan is a bit telling. If Wii software sales are bad, devs should be tripping all over themselves to avoid releasing anything on the PS3.

schuelma

justchris said:
Oh quit it guys, last week was a fluke. This week will go back to DS dominating and Wii only holding on to a few spots in the top 10.

Even if next week there are only 3 Wii titles in the top 10..they will still be the 3 highest next gen titles and most likely the 3 highest console titles. No need to penalize Wii for its older sibling being a freak of nature.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgen said:
Golden Week is this week, not the 4/23 - 4/29.

Indeed, I realised that after, this week is Golden week, hence the lack of reporting, but next week is when we get the figures, heh, although that makes the utter Nintendomination this week even better, with this sort of momentum, I can't wait to see next (This) weeks figures, apologies for my simpleness there.

nli10

schuelma said:
spwolf may have a point in Europe since Wii Play seems to be the top selling software, and I do think he's correct that it shouldn't count as a full game.

It doesn't count as a full title - it's a budget title and always has been. We also have £1 ($2) Super-Budget titles in the top 40 - for scale that is the price of a 500ml bottle of coke. My bus to work costs more.

Games are games, sales are sales. The Buzz/Singstar point was that you can pack the game box full of microphones, buzzers, generic controllers, stickers, pokemon cards, gold bullion, GAF Fanboys - ANYTHING, but there is still a game in there and as this is a games chart based on people buying games it still counts.

Discounting Wii Sports sales in Japan i'd missed though - good catch fact fans. :)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
spwolf said:

While you have a point about Wii Play, Wii Sports isn't a free pack-in in Japan.

Edit: Beaten.

test_account

XP-39C²
One thing i wonder, doesnt Wii in Japan have a pack-in with Wii Sports or Play? I mean, both those games have sold over 1 million copies each.

EDIT: Or are Wii Play numbers so high just because of the extra controller thats included?

Grecco

bububu Third Parties Dont Sell in Nintendo Sistems!

Ignore the success of Ubi in US, and he countless succeses in Japan. As the quality of third party support increases so will the sales.

test_account said:
One thing i wonder, doesnt Wii in Japan have a pack-in with Wii Sports or Play? I mean, both those games have sold over 1 million copies each.

EDIT: Or are Wii Play numbers so high just because of the extra controller thats included?
no Wii is very cheap in Japan as it has no pack in game!

Tumalu

MasterMFauli said:
Whoo, noone did that, so i´ll do:

Gold in Japanese is Kin.
=> The is the "Kintendo Shoukan"

Let´s use that name from now on :p
I thought it was shuukan. (しゅうかん?)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo's comeback in the videogame industry is simply stunning. What other brands in other sectors managed to turn the tables like that?

Top Bottom