• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

mabuza

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
retail preorders and preorders are two different things
japanese retailers are never wrong when it comes to preorders. they wont preorder 300000 when demand will be like 50000 in a week

mabuza said:
japanese retailers are never wrong when it comes to preorders. they wont preorder 300000 when demand will be like 50000 in a week
Uhhh...

They **** up all the time, man. The best example I can think of in my head is TotT DS, but they mess up all the time. That said, MnG is pretty much a slam dunk for *eventually* selling all the copies, even if they don't sell all of them right away.

mabuza said:

everytime i see games inside the "1000yen basket" on Sofmap, i realize they made an error on retailer preorder... ;)

donny2112

mabuza said:
japanese retailers are never wrong when it comes to preorders.

Final Fantasy III DS
Love & Berry
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
SimCity DS
Ouendan 2
The aforementioned Tempest

Every time you see a game debut in the top 10, drop out of the top 30, and then reappear in the top 10 is an instance of retailer orders being under. Every instance of a game showing up in the bargain bin within two weeks of release is an instance of retailer orders being over.

ProTip: Avoid using the words "never" and "always."

ksamedi

Vinnk said:
So, that do you guys want me to check out for this weeks report?

Eye training.

And can you check out wat this Mag kid is all about and how it is supposed to play, or is it not released yet?

Hammer24

Banned
D.Lo said:
Yeah, but the gundabump came when there were fewer installed systems, and higher weekly hardware sales.

So IMO it will be a bigger bump, but lower absolute numbers.

I still estimate the minnabump in the size of the gundabump - but not in absolute numbers, but in percentage. ;)

JavyOO7

mclem said:
After the tragic case of its older brother... it looks like *this* Ouendan has found its legs.

I still haven't imported the second Ouendan. Is it as good as the first?

First one was brilliant...

Wow, Ouendan 2 is really hauling ass compared to the first. RE4 Wii is out of stock, I'd guess, but perhaps Vinnk's report will illuminate things.

As for Harvest Moon, I want to see the actual number, but even on the back of the first day sales it's a pretty good debut for where the series is at over the last several releases.

psy18

japan really love their pachinko.
What's so great about it?

edit: i know it's gambling in real life. but high selling video games? i'm lost

ksamedi

I think you can swap Brain Training with Re4. The famitsu trend list is usually wrong in one or two spots. Last week Mario Kart was in the top 10.

psy18 said:
japan really love their pachinko.
What's so great about it?

edit: i know it's gambling in real life. but high selling video games? i'm lost
Probably the same reason Poker video games do so well over here. At least, with the Wal-mart crowd.

test_account

XP-39C²
sphinx said:
I wonder if we will see some interesting change of tides this time. Nintedomination since like 2 years ago has made it all very boring.

I dont think we will see to much change this week. I'm looking forward to next week's numbers tho because of Ninja Gaiden Sigma :)

enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10036563941.html

[NDS] Observation Training - ~70k
[NDS] Stock Trader Shun - 8k
[NDS] Suujin Taisen - 5k
[Wii] Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace - 20k

PSP, PS3, X360 - a bit rise
NDS, Wii - a bit drop

There should be some more numbers but I cannot get them all. Maybe some JGaffers can help.

The market is saturated of Nintendo's products. I mean, with 80% of hardware & software's market share, is it really possible to do better ?

Axord

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The market is saturated of Nintendo's products. I mean, with 80% of hardware & software's market share, is it really possible to do better ?
Imagine what it'd look like without the PSP.

Neo C. said:
It begins...

WTF?

Anyway, slightly disappointing if HM Wii only managed 20k-ish on first week. It is a reversal of the GC trend, but I'd hoped for something like 30-40k. We'll have to see what final figures are like, though.

Also a bit disappointing to see RE4 drop off the top ten. Are we thinking this is supply constraints - any idea how much Capcom shipped? - or is it just lack of demand?

A drop in hardware for the Nintendo systems and a rise for the others would be interesting, but I'm amused at people talking about "change of tides" based on this...

Christopher

I really do hope that the redesign puts more PSPs in people's hands, it's a good system - and looks like it's getting some good japanese games lately too - so go them.

eh oh well about RE4 - I mean at least Capcom tried.

Christopher said:
I really do hope that the redesign puts more PSPs in people's hands, it's a good system - and looks like it's getting some good japanese games lately too - so go them.

eh oh well about RE4 - I mean at least Capcom tried.
Ehn, we don't really know for sure what's going on with RE4 yet. I've heard reports it's sold out.

Axord said:
Imagine what it'd look like without the PSP.

Oh man...it would be almost a NES-like-level. What is the record of domination in the total hardware and software's market share in the history of Japan ? In others words, who was closer to a total domination ?

For the handheld, we know that Nintendo, before PSP, had almost the 99% of the market. But what about the home systems ?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10036563941.html

[NDS] Observation Training - ~70k
[NDS] Stock Trader Shun - 8k
[NDS] Suujin Taisen - 5k
[Wii] Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace - 20k

PSP, PS3, X360 - a bit rise
NDS, Wii - a bit drop

There should be some more numbers but I cannot get them all. Maybe some JGaffers can help.
Neo C. said:
It begins...
Hey that was my part!

Harvest Moon did comparable to the other recent console versions on GCN and PS2.

:( @ Stock Trader Shun and Suujin Taisen, are they crap or something?

Threi

notag
68j2cr8.gif

ccbfan

Moor-Angol said:
HM games on GC sold between 16k and 26k, so HM Wii is not such a disappointment...

I think its hard to compare Wii games because the GCN's software sales was so anemic in japan especially after the 2nd year. Smash and the Mario Parties was pretty much it.

It kinda funny cause people alway bragged about Japan in comparison to the X-box for the gamecube but Japan was actually the worst Gamecube market. The Gamecube had 1 million seller i think in its lifetime in Japan (Smash). Crazy considering the popular franchises that was on it. The software was extremely anemic. Even more so than the PSP now thinking about it. At least PSP had a reason with hardly any big name games (heck it even created its own big name franchise in MHP, MH was never big name before it graced the PSP). But to expect a system with main installations of Mario, Zelda, Smash, Donkey Kong, MArio Kart, Animal Crossing, ect only have one million+ seller. Its almost amazing how bad the gamecube did in Japan.

Top Bottom