• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

apujanata

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Archived MC threads say otherwise. Sony fans used to come in and use Sony domination as an unscalable ivory tower from which they could fire arrows at Gahiggidy and other insane N-fans... much like what happens now, but in reverse.

Can you list some of those "insane N-fans" ? I know Gahiggidy still posted ("gamecube hut" indeed), but I am not too familiar with those others. Are they still active ?

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Some important news from 6/14 final epic battle between los...I mean between PS3 and X360 :lol

- Bandai-Namco announces that 'Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume' first shipment will be 70.000 units

- Tecmo and Enterbrain announce that 'Ninja Gaiden Sigma' demo on the japanese PS Store has been downloaded more than 100.000 times

if we use X360 conversion of "out of every 5 person who downloaded demo on XBOX LIVE only one person decided to buy the software itself", then we can expect 20K+ purchaser of NGS. Will the figure significantly higher than 20K+ ? Anyone willing to predict 50K+ for NGS first week ?

apujanata said:
Can you list some of those "insane N-fans" ? I know Gahiggidy still posted ("gamecube hut" indeed), but I am not too familiar with those others. Are they still active?
Funny you should ask, since I only started lurking around March last year and didn't pay much attention as to who was saying what. Thus, most of the names were drowned out by the sheer force of Gahiggidy. Sadly, I think most of the crazier ones were hit repeatedly with the banhammer, so few in the Nintendo camp ever lasted long enough to attain the fanboy quotient of a Gahiggidy, Monorojo, Tabris or jimbo.

Which reminds me... where's Chibicyclist nowadays? He's not so much a crazy N-fan as much as an N-fan who also happens to be insane.

Axord

Archived MC threads say otherwise. Sony fans used to come in and use Sony domination as an unscalable ivory tower from which they could fire arrows at Gahiggidy and other insane N-fans... much like what happens now, but in reverse.
Two things I'd say about that.

1. The scope was much smaller then, wasn't it? M-C threads with 20 replies?

2. Waving the occasional number around doesn't mean one understands trends or is following things closely.

Not to say that there were no Sony fans that knew their stuff deeply and well--I'm sure there were. But the vast majority? I strongly doubt it.

But then, perhaps I'm just projecting, as I can't say I personally have any deep understanding of the current trends.

I guess it boils down to this: I urge you not to underestimate the power of human ignorance.

lupin23rd

apujanata said:
if we use X360 conversion of "out of every 5 person who downloaded demo on XBOX LIVE only one person decided to buy the software itself", then we can expect 20K+ purchaser of NGS. Will the figure significantly higher than 20K+ ? Anyone willing to predict 50K+ for NGS first week ?

There is nothing else to play, those 100000 people will buy the game, along with 25000 idiots who don't know how to get internet on their PS3 to download the demo. :lol

Nah, I don't think 40-50k is out of reach. Anything more would be a bonus. Hopefully Call of Duty 3 won't steal some of the sales away :lol

m

Mr. Pointy said:
I'm predicting ~75k sales for NGS and about 20k PS3 sold for that specific week.

Then they both drop off a cliff.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. I imagine Folklore/Folksoul will have a bigger impact on PS3 sales, though. We'll see, though....anyone know if Famitsu has reviewed this game yet? If it's a crappy game, then it's not going to do much to help PS3 sales...

Fredescu

Which reminds me... where's Chibicyclist nowadays? He's not so much a crazy N-fan as much as an N-fan who also happens to be insane.
Banned during April NPD. Possibly perma based on his new avatar. Check out the first few pages of the April NPD thread.

gamefront said:
300.000 Vorbestellungen für Everybody's Golf 5

12.06.07 - Sony gibt bekannt, dass man für das Sportspiel Everybody's Golf 5 Click Picture (jap. 'Minna no Golf 5') mittlerweile 300.000 Vorbestellungen vom japanischen Fachhandel erhalten hat. Release: 26.07.07

It seems Sony has announced that they have 300.000 retailer orders (as in not reservations from customers) for Minna no Golf 5 at this point.

Masklinn said:
er... wow, golfbump incoming, PS3 over nine thousands am confirmed total?

We'll see. IIRC, Gundam Musou sold around 170,000 first week - a bit over half retailer orders - and went on to sell the rest of those initial orders over the next few weeks before dropping off the charts completely. It also bumped PS3 sales from 20,000-ish the week prior to approx. 46,000 the week of release. However, sales dropped back again the following week to 30,000-ish, then carried on downward over the next fortnight to 20,000-ish then sub-20k.

I would be very surprised if we saw a “golfbump” up to 40k+, but I don’t think a bounce of some significance is out of the question. However, sustaining it is another matter - will it be enough to drag in an extra 10-20k per week who weren’t buying the PS3 beforehand? There are other significant PS3 titles out soon, but they seem to be more aimed at the audience who already own the PS3 so I’m unsure whether they will affect hardware sales in any major way.

Koren

Masklinn said:
er... wow, golfbump incoming, PS3 over nine thousands am confirmed total?
Talk about lowered expectations :lol

I hope Mingol will be a success, even if I doubt its score will approach those of the previous iterations considering the current situation. Still, I'm sure it'll shift a good chunk of PS3.

mabuza

Banned
Masklinn said:
Define "good chunk of PS3"?
dude relax, i'm sure mng will bomb and the ps3 will probably sell about 1000 that week. and we can all continue talking about sony's demise by this time next year. happy now

Kafel

Banned
I think MinGolf will cause a lower bump to PS3 sales than Gundam Musou.

The public of the first is probably younger and less "harcore" than the second's : not as likely to spend that much to play the game.

Hammer24

Banned
Japanese retailers are usually pretty good with their expectations - so I would assume a minnabump in the size of the gundabump.

D.Lo

Hammer24 said:
Japanese retailers are usually pretty good with their expectations - so I would assume a minnabump in the size of the gundabump.
Yeah, but the gundabump came when there were fewer installed systems, and higher weekly hardware sales.

So IMO it will be a bigger bump, but lower absolute numbers.

I can see the PS3 doing 20K for Golfbump, then a downward spiral again back to 9k. Minna no Golf is an established franchise and even though it's a "casual" game, it's sort of anticipated by alot of the Sony faithfuls who most likely already own a PS3.

Hardware bump can also depend on a bundle (there was a Gundam Musou bundle afterall). Mingol is not a front-loaded seller, yes its very casual to the point of budget re-releases doing easily above 100k. PSP Mingol did something like 60k first week but crawled to 400k and a budget re-release pushed it above 500k.

So yes, it should crack 500k but maybe it'll take a while. Its not going to do like the last PS2 one at all though (Mingol4 first week = 475k).

Moor-Angol said:
500k LTD for Minna5 are too optimistic at this point ?

Yep. I appreciate the point about the PSP edition crawling to 500k+, but I think we're going to see drastically reduced sales for MnG on the PS3 - it's a casual game on a (currently) casual-unfriendly platform. It'd be interesting to be proved wrong, but I think this is going to be part of a pattern of previously successful franchises floundering on a console without the userbase and casual appeal of its predecessor.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Moor-Angol said:
I don't think it is, Minna 5 will do solidly if not impressively, but it won't drive hardware sales much, and it has no chance to drive them for a long time.

We're talking gundabump but worse here.

test_account

XP-39C²
One thing i think is alittle wierd is that how the salenumbers stay stable, especially on PS3 and 360. Like how come that 360 got like 2k - 3k every week? I mean, how come that not 1k of these peopel bought it the last week so it was 4k one week and 1k the next week. Its going in a nice flow from week to week.

mclem

Koren said:
Solid if not spectacular :D Not sure I'm very good at estimation, but I expect 30k-ish.

No, this will be a MiniBump. What you're asking won't happen until the SolidBump from MGS.

Clearly Sony needs to rush a game named SPECTACULAR into production *rapidly*. It's their only hope.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem said:
No, this will be a MiniBump. What you're asking won't happen until the SolidBump from MGS.

Clearly Sony needs to rush a game named SPECTACULAR into production *rapidly*. It's their only hope.
The LONGEST Journey PS3 am confirmed!

mabuza said:
dude relax, i'm sure mng will bomb and the ps3 will probably sell about 1000 that week. and we can all continue talking about sony's demise by this time next year. happy now
Isn't this part of a sales thread? Speculating on future sales.

So you thought RE4 Wii would sell at least 100.000 day one. I guess with MNG being the more popular series and not a port you'll predict at least 300.000 day one?

I predict 100.000 first week with PS3 selling 40.000.

Saitou

Banned
MinGol will do >Gundam numbers, but I very much doubt HW will reach gundabump levels. Maybe ~25k for the week.
Although I can see the very presence of MinGol lifting PS3 above 10k/week for some time.

Axord

mj1108 said:
Did you miss all of that "3rd party!111!1" mockery for the last 10 years or what?
But that's a comment based on not understanding the numbers, namely Nintendo's constant profits. Right?

Moor-Angol said:
It'd have to have an attach rate nearly as good as Wii Sports or Wii Play, or giant legs.
test_account said:
One thing i think is alittle wierd is that how the salenumbers stay stable, especially on PS3 and 360. Like how come that 360 got like 2k - 3k every week? I mean, how come that not 1k of these peopel bought it the last week so it was 4k one week and 1k the next week. Its going in a nice flow from week to week.
A) Maybe it does fluctuate from day to day. However, summing up 7 days would tend to even things out.

B) *shrug* That's the way it is for almost any product. If the percentage of a total population wanting to buy product Z greatly shifts up or down from one week to the next, there probably must be a reason beyond random chance.

Hero

People expecting Minna Golf to do more for the PS3 than Gundam Musou did are crazy. Minna Golf is one of those typically 'casual' games that a lot of PS2 owners just happened to buy. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very unlikely that a lot of people were holding out purchasing a 600 dollar system for Minna Golf. Wii Sports is the new hotness anyway.

jarrod

Banned
My guesses...

Mingol 5 1st week~ 190k
Mingol 5 lifetime~ 415k (325k pre-bargin bins)

PS3 hardware during M5 launch~ 21k

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
A) Maybe it does fluctuate from day to day. However, summing up 7 days would tend to even things out.

B) *shrug* That's the way it is for almost any product. If the percentage of a total population wanting to buy product Z greatly shifts up or down from one week to the next, there probably must be a reason beyond random chance.

Ye, that might be it, but wierd that the sale numbers are so even from week to week :) Maybe its normal for products, i have no idea, i still find it alittle wierd tho hehe.

Hero said:
People expecting Minna Golf to do more for the PS3 than Gundam Musou did are crazy. Minna Golf is one of those typically 'casual' games that a lot of PS2 owners just happened to buy. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very unlikely that a lot of people were holding out purchasing a 600 dollar system for Minna Golf. Wii Sports is the new hotness anyway.

In about 2 months we'll see whos crazy hehe ;) But i agree, Wii Sport's golf game might have had some impact on the market. We'll see =)

Top Bottom