• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

mabuza said:
i ****ing banned him. you have a problem with that?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guess what? Your name is not in red.

Also there only seemed to be one mod logged in at the time, and not one that I ever see posting in the games threads.

mabuza

Banned
bmf said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guess what? Your name is not in red.

Also there only seemed to be one mod logged in at the time, and not one that I ever see posting in the games threads.
you're colour blind :)

AniHawk

bmf said:
Nintendo's success has been destroying the worldviews of many. Meltdowns are happening. Human sacrifice. Mass hysteria. Cats and dogs living together.

DOGS and CATS, living together- MASS HYSTERIA.

AniHawk said:
DOGS and CATS, living together- MASS HYSTERIA.

Ghostbusters_300x298.jpg

Tf53

AniHawk said:
DOGS and CATS, living together- MASS HISSTERIA.
Fixed.
I'm sorry, I just had to

Do we have a thread for warnings and/or bans? I think it would be educational for everyone to read up on why people were banned so as not to make the same mistakes?

schuelma said:
I think its higher than 150K- about 90K N.A, 40K Japan, and probably 75-100K in PAL regions.

nli10 said:
PS3 is currently averaging about 30.769k a week in PAL regions based on the 3 weeks to 800k then 9.5 weeks to 1 million calculations based on press releases. Guessing this is gradually declining as no exclusive games have come out in the UK for around 1 month.

I think the PS3 sold WW are lower than 150K per month equivalent to 2 weeks of Wii sold only in Japan !!!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Battersea Power Station said:
That's ****ing retarded. Seriously, whatever mod was in charge of that decision has a retarded thinking process -- no hyperbole.

A) If saying stupid shit is bannable, there would be no forum.
B) If saying ridiculously stupid shit is bannable, at least be consistent, e.g. if saying Sony drops PS3 support next year warrants a ban, so should saying Sony will sell 10 million by next Spring or will take the lead by the end '08.

Why not:
C) You can say whatever you want, no matter how crazy, as long as it's a positive claim. Negative claims have to be justified. "Sony will sell 200 million by July" = OK but stupid, "Sony will go bankrupt" = Not OK, "Sony has undone half of their PS2 profits by losing so much money on the PS3" = OK.

felipeko

Stumpokapow said:
Why not:
C) You can say whatever you want, no matter how crazy, as long as it's a positive claim. Negative claims have to be justified. "Sony will sell 200 million by July" = OK but stupid, "Sony will go bankrupt" = Not OK, "Sony has undone half of their PS2 profits by losing so much money on the PS3" = OK.
So why people could say "3rd party don't sell on the Wii" when no one could know that for sure?
That is a bad thing, isn't?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
felipeko said:
So why people could say "3rd party don't sell on the Wii" when no one could know that for sure?

Yeah, but I don't think a statement like that, as much as I personally disagree with it, would cause as much trouble as the stuff that Wiitard was saying. The suggestion that the PS3 would be "cancelled" within a year's time could potentially start a kind of revolution and more frothing madness. Saying "lol 3rd party games don't sell" is just a common stab. People don't LIVE by that belief.

I suppose it's the exact same reason why the talk about a certain FF-related train-jumping was hugely disapproved, too. Those sort of things make people believe in crazy shit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
felipeko said:

Because
1) 3rd party games did not sell well on N64 or GameCube
2) 3rd party games did not initially sell very well on DS; although this has certainly changed since the DS Lite launch and increased developer support in terms of quality.
3) We have sales figures for Wii third party games and we can determine which have been selling well and which have not, including high profile successes and failures.

So there's a lot of both past and present evidence to make claims like that.

There's no evidence at all to say "SONY AM SINKING TITANIC BOAT! RATS 2 THA DECK!"

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
So there's a lot of both past and present evidence to make claims like that.

There's no evidence at all to say "SONY AM SINKING TITANIC BOAT! RATS 2 THA DECK!"
I don't think that Sony would abandon the PS3, but there are also a lot of both past and present evidence to say "3rd party don't sell on the Wii is bullshit".

From a financial standpoint, the opinion "Sony better abandon the PS3" isn't bullshit. From my view, the Blu-Ray-business is the reason why Sony should try all they can to push the PS3 for more than 4 years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Neo C. said:
I don't think that Sony would abandon the PS3, but there are also a lot of both past and present evidence to say "3rd party don't sell on the Wii is bullshit".

So, again, it's essentially a claim that can be discussed, verified, and potentially dismissed. 3rd party Wii games are not currently selling well in Japan. Some are selling well in the US, although some (SSX Blur, Godfather) are selling terribly.

The evidence against the claim would be that relative to budget and the fact that many of these games are hasty ports, they are selling decently, and other 3rd party games including Red Steel and Rayman are selling excellently.

In the past, 3rd party games have sold poorly on the N64 and GameCube. On the DS, early 3rd party games sold poorly. Recent 3rd party games have picked up the slack, since they're been better in both concept and execution and there's been more support by the "good" teams of various publishers; obviously Square-Enix has had a lot of DS success.

So fundamentally that claim can be discussed and is likely to be discussed in a way that makes reference to facts.

From a financial standpoint, the opinion "Sony better abandon the PS3" isn't bullshit. From my view, the Blu-Ray-business is the reason why Sony should try all they can to push the PS3 for more than 4 years.

This claim has no factual backing; almost no products do so utterly poorly that multi-billion dollar sunk costs can be written off. Remember that if Sony were to drop the PS3, they'd have to spend more billions to launch a new product that would not only be profitable on its own right, but also make up for the PS3.

Sony would face the ire of all third parties because their huge budget, huge team size PS3 projects would be stunted. In the past, systems that are pulled early--Dreamcast, Saturn to some extent, Virtual Boy--had little-no third-party support, and certainly no big budget third party support. This is not true for the PS3 and won't be true for a long time.

Regression is also an issue; if Sony dumps the PS3 and releases another console that's cheaper, that console will necessarily be a technical regression in one way or another. It's one thing to de-emphasize graphics in the way Nintendo does it, but it presents a genuine marketing problem if you have to sell a product that is of a lower quality than your previous product.

Finally, even though I don't give much stock to Sony's ten year console lifespan idea, one aspect is true--if they abandon Blu-Ray or Cell or PS3-level tech in general right now, they're going to have to pick it up again in four or five years ANYWAY. This sort of thing is virtually unheard of in business.

From a financial standpoint, "Sony better abandon the PS3" is bullshit--but that they will need to ramp up their journey towards profitability in order to stop the sunk costs from sinking the company, sure.

I think it's pretty obvious that people who make the statement "SONY GONNA DUMP PS3" are not interested in facts, figures, or evidence; especially if they make that statement without providing any evidence. I really see no problem with banning someone for that.

marvelharvey said:
Just to add to your story...

Yodobashi Camera Umeda, Bic Camera Namba, Sofmap DenDen and all the dedicated game shops I went to yesterday were sold out... well, not just empty shelf space, but big signs posted in the Wii sections apologizing about it, so I guess it's highly popular!
Good to hear, I hope it sells the numbers the original should have sold (1 million+ :D ).

felipeko

I think it's pretty obvious that people who make the statement "SONY GONNA DUMP PS3" are not interested in facts, figures, or evidence; especially if they make that statement without providing any evidence. I really see no problem with banning someone for that.
Actually he said Sony was going to pull the (software) support from ps3, not stop producing it. And from a business point he had fact to back up, like Sony's financial report.

Parl

GreenNight said:
Whats going on in here guys?

Don't tell anyone, but here, we've all found out that Sony is gonna pull the plug on the PS3 business within the next year.
They'll probably go bankrupt too..

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
This claim has no factual backing; almost no products do so utterly poorly that multi-billion dollar sunk costs can be written off. Remember that if Sony were to drop the PS3, they'd have to spend more billions to launch a new product that would not only be profitable on its own right, but also make up for the PS3.
Surely the Virtual Boy and the Dreamcast didn't cost that much in development, but both Nintendo and Sega abandoned them because they didn't want to lose more money. If there's a chance that a new product would immediately make (more) profit, launching a new product and writing off the old isn't nonsense. Then again, this is an other discussion.

It's too early to foresee, if Sony could shrink their loss in the next few years, but I think they had to made price cuts sooner than later. The PS3 shouldn't be discussed from a financial viewpoint, though. Even if Sony never made profit with the PS3, the HD-business - including TV and Blu-Ray - is too important for them.

Neo C. said:
Surely the Virtual Boy and the Dreamcast didn't cost that much in development, but both Nintendo and Sega abandoned them because they didn't want to lose more money. If there's a chance that a new product would immediately make (more) profit, launching a new product and writing off the old isn't nonsense. Then again, this is an other discussion.

It's too early to foresee, if Sony could shrink their loss in the next few years, but I think they had to made price cuts sooner than later. The PS3 shouldn't be discussed from a financial viewpoint, though. Even if Sony never made profit with the PS3, the HD-business - including TV and Blu-Ray - is too important for them.
SEGA was just plain running out of cash. Not much they could do about that. As for the Virtual Boy, I'm not sure people nowadays realize how ****ing epic a disaster that was. I mean hell, the PS3 is ugly, but the Virtual Boy... well, it had three third parties supporting it, one of whom had exactly one game planned, and it sold maybe 60,000 units lifetime before Nintendo shuttled them to Blockbuster to sell off for twenty bucks.

I doubt we will ever see a disaster on the level of the Virtual Boy ever again.

I've been noticing a trend among MC threads that the actual sales reactions die down pretty quickly, but over the weekend someone comes in and makes the thread post count enter an inverse relationship with the average intelligence level.

milanbaros

Member?
Segata Sanshiro said:
SEGA was just plain running out of cash. Not much they could do about that. As for the Virtual Boy, I'm not sure people nowadays realize how ****ing epic a disaster that was. I mean hell, the PS3 is ugly, but the Virtual Boy... well, it had three third parties supporting it, one of whom had exactly one game planned, and it sold maybe 60,000 units lifetime before Nintendo shuttled them to Blockbuster to sell off for twenty bucks.

I doubt we will ever see a disaster on the level of the Virtual Boy ever again.

Xbox? Financially that has to be the worst.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Some important news from 6/14 final epic battle between los...I mean between PS3 and X360 :lol

- Bandai-Namco announces that 'Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume' first shipment will be 70.000 units

- Tecmo and Enterbrain announce that 'Ninja Gaiden Sigma' demo on the japanese PS Store has been downloaded more than 100.000 times

Is that 70,000 units including core bundles???? Friday is going to be epic.

jarrod

Banned
kisakiproject said:
Ninja Gaiden and Trusty Bell are respectively the biggest titles coming to their platform this summer. How is that not epic?
Naw... I'll give you Trusty Bell, but Mingol 5 is way bigger than Sigma.

Shiggy

kisakiproject said:
Ninja Gaiden and Trusty Bell are respectively the biggest titles coming to their platform this summer. How is that not epic?

I thought you were saying that it was epic regarding Media Create sales as a whole ;)

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
Juniors don't get second chances. Period.

He had just crossed over to a regular member at the time. It was literally less than 3 hours after becoming a full member.

Here's gcfan2k5's post history, if anyone wants to take a gander.

Tf53 said:
Do we have a thread for warnings and/or bans?

How do you know there isn't one? You can have private forums for mods/Admins, you know. Regardless, that way lies madness. You'd be opening up the Pandora's Box for backseat modding.

marvelharvey said:
Just to add to your story...

Yodobashi Camera Umeda, Bic Camera Namba, Sofmap DenDen and all the dedicated game shops I went to yesterday were sold out... well, not just empty shelf space, but big signs posted in the Wii sections apologizing about it, so I guess it's highly popular!

Awesome! Maybe it'll sell better in its second week than its first week. :lol

Pureauthor said:
I've been noticing a trend among MC threads that the actual sales reactions die down pretty quickly, but over the weekend someone comes in and makes the thread post count enter an inverse relationship with the average intelligence level.

Intriguing. Perhaps you should pen a "Media-Create Threads for Dummies." *sips tea*

turtle553

In case people want some more PS3Forums craziness:

Originally Posted by The_Light
You are all over the place. How can you possibly say that its bad for the X360 to be outsold by the PS2, but then turn around and say its ok for the PS3 to be outsold by the PS2, because Sony owns it?

Do you have any common sense what so ever?

I think the point he is trying to make is that a large % of PS2 sales will translate into PS3 sales in the future. Sony has very high brand loyalty, the success of the PS1 was a big factor in driving the success of the PS2.

The fact of the matter is Sony could greatly increase PS3 sales simply by stopping support for the PS2. But they have no interest in doing that. The fact is Sony is selling exactly the amount of PS3s they want to right now. The PS3 is on the market at the moment to create buzz and get into the back of the head of consumers, not sell 50 million units.

By the beginning of 2009 the PS2 will be at the end of it's lifespan and the PS3 will be retailing for $399 or less. Blu-Ray will have a signifigant percentage of the retail market and HD-DVD will be a dim memory of a spectacular failure. Most homes will now have a HDTV. There will be 100 million + PlayStation consumers looking to upgrade to a new console.

The PS3 will sell roughly 15 million consoles per year for the next 6 years, breaking the 100 million console sold mark during the Holiday Season of 2014. The PS4 will launch 1 year later, with the support for the PS3 continuing through 2017.

Those of you who think that the PS3 is a failure are quite mistaken. Everything is actually going perfectly according to plan. You'd almost think that Sony had people they paid who studied the market and came up with a sales strategy...

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=77399&page=2

So don't worry about the PS3, it is all going according to plan.

Joe Molotov

The PS3 will sell roughly 15 million consoles per year for the next 6 years, breaking the 100 million console sold mark during the Holiday Season of 2014. The PS4 will launch 1 year later, with the support for the PS3 continuing through 2017.

Those of you who think that the PS3 is a failure are quite mistaken. Everything is actually going perfectly according to plan. You'd almost think that Sony had people they paid who studied the market and came up with a sales strategy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias

I think that my problem with some of the bans is that from time to time, someone gets banned seemingly for arguing for an unpopular theory that has a logically defensible backing.

I don't like your theory, so I'll cut out your tongue.

Other than that, most bans I see are justified. Usually they're enacted because someone is being a horses ass.

donny2112

By the beginning of 2009 the PS2 will be at the end of it's lifespan and the PS3 will be retailing for $399 or less. Blu-Ray will have a signifigant percentage of the retail market

That's a pretty reasonable scenario right there.

The PS3 will sell roughly 15 million consoles per year for the next 6 years,

That's optimistic but not totally unreasonable for a relaunched PS3 1.0 + waggle @ $300 or less.

apujanata said:
Harvest Moon player : 37% girls, 63% boys, confirmed ?

Most of those copies of HM-for-Girl are probably selling to the same people who bought the boy version originally.

Why didn't they release those two games at the same time ?

For-Girl:Harvest Moon::International Edition:Final Fantasy. They add new features and spruce up the game in addition to switching the character's gender. (It's definitely not actually intended solely to get girls to play; tons of girls play the "boy" versions of HM.)

sphinx

the piano man
turtle553 said:
In case people want some more PS3Forums craziness:

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=77399&page=2

So don't worry about the PS3, it is all going according to plan.

I'd like some of the GAF analysts to rant on the following thing:

there are more than 100-110 milliion PS2 in houses right know. that's roughly 90 million that HAVE NOT upgraded and bought a next-gen console. PS2 being very strong console right now is holding everything back.

the scenario portrayed by the ps3forum guy isn't out of the question, no matter how hard GAF laughs at it. A tad too optimistic but not delusional. Until we see what those 90 million PS2 have decided when they upgrade to a next-(current) gen console, we can not declare a winner this gen.

Who knows what will happen with a well placed price drop. Have a killer app and a price drop and anything could happen.

Top Bottom