• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

cvxfreak

I think people also need to realize that it's Vinnk's Village. Vinnk I believe lives in Kyushu, which would hardly indicate demand in bigger cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
cvxfreak said:
I think people also need to realize that it's Vinnk's Village. Vinnk I believe lives in Kyushu, which would hardly indicate demand in bigger cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

Vinnk's Village = All of Japan

Don't tell me otherwise!

Humn, the gap between Trusty Bell and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is greater in MC than it is in Famitsu, maybe the streams have a chance of crossing after all!

I would imagine that TB would have a much greater impact on 360 sales than NGS would on the PS3, it is a JRPG after all and the first cel-shaded next gen one to boot!

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Is there any reason at all to believe there weren't extra large hardware shipments to go along with extra large games? You reference an image with a big "DS Shortages" patch shown. If there were truly shortages, there wouldn't be an extra hundred thousand sitting around to allow for such bumps.

You sales gaffers are very unflexible sometimes.

I don't think " DS Shortage " in the graph (very cool image by the way, thanks for taking the time to do it) necessarily means that ABSOLUTELY, EVERY SINGLE piece of DS hardware was sold, to the point that when the week in question ends, there is not ONE, not a single DS lite available anywhere in whole japan.

The fact that there are DS units available at the end of the week in some places in Japan is evidence that there is still room for better sales performance. A big software release would perhaps help the sales of DS units in Vinnk's village and other smaller places.

sphinx said:

I don't think " DS Shortage " in the graph (very cool image by the way, thanks for taking the time to do it) necessarily means that ABSOLUTELY, EVERY SINGLE piece of DS hardware was sold, to the point that when the week in question ends, there is not ONE, not a single DS lite available anywhere in whole japan.

The fact that there are DS units available at the end of the week in some places in Japan is evidence that there is still room for better sales performance. A big software release would perhaps help the sales of DS units in Vinnk's village and other smaller places.
what.jpg

Of course every unit wasn't sold. However, almost all of them were. Sold Out means that you can go into most major retailers in populated cities and most likely not find one. However, it doesn't mean that there aren't any for sell anywhere. There certainly aren't an extra 100k-200k laying around in stores during shortages that are snapped up for big releases. All that graph tells us is that Nintendo ships more units with big games.

Vinnk

sphinx said:

Yeah, 2 or 3 units per store is not a stagnant supply. These sell week to week and are not building up. The only notable thing is that a few months ago it WAS a situation where every single unit, without exception was sold out every week and retailers in small towns like mine would go for weeks without receiving new shipments (they went to the big cities first).

sphinx said:

...sometimes?

Vinnk said:
Perhaps I need to have someone read over my posts before I put them up, because that is not the message I was trying to convey at all. Biohazard 4 is not now and has never been supply constrained. I mentioned in my report that a few dedicated gaming stores had sold out, but that it was easily available at any department store. I also mentioned that I didn't know what the original shipment was.

Thus, selling out might have been that a store sold all 3 of their copies.

If my message came out differently than that, I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification. No worries, it's certainly an mistake on my part, and now I see that I should have been able to understand that from your post from the start.
That said, I'm really surprised to see him drop off that quickly. But it seems like some here were already predicting that, so maybe my expectations were out of touch with the reality of the market.

sphinx

the piano man
Juwanna Peezadis said:
Of course every unit wasn't sold. However, almost all of them were. Sold Out means that you can go into most major retailers in populated cities and most likely not find one. However, it doesn't mean that there aren't any for sell anywhere. There certainly aren't an extra 100k-200k laying around in stores during shortages that are snapped up for big releases. All that graph tells us is that Nintendo ships more units with big games.

When I said in page 2 or 3 that maybe DS lite will sell more because of new colors and Zelda and IS, Jonnyram said this:

Jonnyram said:
:lol

DS hardware sales are never related to software. Whatever Nintendo puts out there will sell, guaranteed. This week, however, will also include the launch of the two new colours on Saturday, so should be a bit higher anyway.

I think that's an overstatement. Smaller cities have DSs avaliable and my initial thought was that maybe this week, with Zelda and IS, even those remaining DS lites in smaller cities will get sold.

anyway, someone said the new colors are a 150k shipment by themselves so there will be plenty of stock.

sphinx said:
When I said in page 2 or 3 that maybe DS lite will sell more because of new colors and Zelda and IS, Jonnyram said this:
While the shortages aren't as bad anymore, there are still shortages. They'll sell more because they're shipping more. They're shipping more because of Zelda, IS, and new colors. However, we can't say that they would have sold these numbers without these titles and colors because they wouldn't have shipped as many without these titles and colors. DS sales are heavilly based upon supply. Nintendo just chooses to supply more for big titles/new colors/holidays. I doubt we'll see Nintendo put out an abnormally large shipment without new games, new colors, or a holiday to go along with them.

Juwanna Peezadis said:
While the shortages aren't as bad anymore, there are still shortages. They'll sell more because they're shipping more. They're shipping more because of Zelda, IS, and new colors. However, we can't say that they would have sold these numbers without these titles and colors because they wouldn't have shipped as many without these titles and colors. DS sales are heavilly based upon supply. Nintendo just chooses to supply more for big titles/new colors/holidays. I doubt we'll see Nintendo put out an abnormally large shipment without new games, new colors, or a holiday to go along with them.

By at least some Japan anecdotes, we've heard the DS is readily available (and has been for about a mont) to be picked up in Japan, but it's been averaging 100k - 130k, so I would think it's the releases of new titles moreso than shipping more.

sphinx

the piano man
on other interesting things, I just read an article in gamespot site about how nintendo shares are continuing to climb.

quite bold statements there:

Analysts reacted to the news positively. KBC Securities analyst Hiroshi Kamide said, "Nintendo is a market leader in everything it does now, which is basically the handheld as well as the console gaming market. We haven't seen Nintendo being a market leader in both products in over a decade."

Ichiyoshi Investment Management chief fund manager Mitsushige Akino said, "I think Nintendo is bound to overtake Sony (in market capitalisation)."

I know, it's old but to think this sort of claims were laughable or unthinkable just a FREAKING YEAR ago..

Kafel

Banned
Yay for Layton !

@ Cheesemeister >> Go Go Minon is a Wii title ( first mesage ). By the way thx for your always nice pesentations. :)

Slow week.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Call of Duty sells in Japan?
Apparently there's a niche market for hardcore western games (sandbox, FPS). The same phenomena can be seen with some 360 software.

kisakiproject said:
Thats getting the bundle so I expect it to be far bigger than the Gundabump.
Didn't Gundam also had a bundle?

Vinnk

Phife Dawg said:
Apparently there's a niche market for hardcore western games (sandbox, FPS). The same phenomena can be seen with some 360 software.

There is a fan base. There are always a group of guys playing GRAW on the Xbox kiosk. I say it a lot but it deserves repeating, Hardcore Japanese gamers like the 360. The tie ratio shows this. However, otaku gamers are an extremely small segment of the Japanese gaming population.

Didn't Gundam also had a bundle?

It did. And in my town at least, it took over a month to sell out.

Jonnyram

sphinx said:
Smaller cities have DSs avaliable
Like where? And where on earth are you getting this information from?

anyway, someone said the new colors are a 150k shipment by themselves so there will be plenty of stock.
For about 1 hour, then there will be none again.

I really appreciate the game covers in the OP now. The visual impact of seeing a 360 and a PS3 game right there actually shocked me. And then realising they were both clearly beaten by an observation game! Good on 'em, I can't wait for the hardware now. This MC thread should be a lot more interesting.

Cruceh

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Like where? And where on earth are you getting this information from?
Well, if you read Vinnk's weekly reports, he finds around 20 or so DS in stores in his town. It is a small town though, so I doubt it's representative of the whole of Japan.

Anyway, does anyone know what will happen next week? This site is supposedly gonna close down. Will numbers be late or will we get them at all?

ziran

Observation Training is an interesting title in its production and similarities to Brain Training in presentation.

I'm assuming Nintendo approached Bandai Namco with the idea, if the reverse happened I don't understand why Bandai Namco wouldn't have published it themselves and tried to establish their own, lucrative, line of training games. Whether Nintendo approached Bandai Namco with the idea or vice versa, I think it's the first Touch Generations title co-produced by Nintendo and a major 3rd Party developer/publisher, where Nintendo is the publisher.

Usually Nintendo works with smaller 3rd Parties, who aren't publishers, for these titles not made in house, so this is somewhat of an interesting departure, and probably indicates more of these kinds of co-productions are likely to happen.

osyrus

ziran said:
Observation Training is an interesting title in its production and similarities to Brain Training in presentation.

I'm assuming Nintendo approached Bandai Namco with the idea, if the reverse happened I don't understand why Bandai Namco wouldn't have published it themselves and tried to establish their own, lucrative, line of training games. Whether Nintendo approached Bandai Namco with the idea or vice versa, I think it's the first Touch Generations title co-produced by Nintendo and a major 3rd Party developer/publisher, where Nintendo is the publisher.

Usually Nintendo works with smaller 3rd Parties, who aren't publishers, for these titles not made in house, so this is somewhat of an interesting departure, and probably indicates more of these kinds of co-productions are likely to happen.

very nice observations. you've been trained well.

ziran said:

WHAT WHAT WHAT! Observation Training was done by Nintendo and Namco?! Wow, I never knew that!

So it was a co production and not just Nintendo outsourcing the game completely to them... interesting! The last time this happened was with that Mickey Mouse game made by Nintendo and Capcom, I'd love to see more of this happen in the future!

sasimirobot

sphinx said:
the DS lite, as of late June 2007, is no longer supply constrained, according to some gaffers in Japan. If hardware sales are high next week, I think it's safe to say it was because of colors and attractive games, not only because it is the DS lite and whatever Nintendo ships, the Japanese buy.

JPNHandhelds-11.png

So when is the "DS shortages" note going to be removed from this graph, next week? Are sales going to have to be in the 1/2 millions to remove this from the graph, or are we relying Vink and other Japan GAFs availability reports?

Also should we add a "Wii shortages" note on future console sales charts?

mj1108

sasimirobot said:
So when is the "DS shortages" note going to be removed from this graph, next week? Are sales going to have to be in the 1/2 millions to remove this from the graph, or are we relying Vink and other Japan GAFs availability reports?

Also should we add a "Wii shortages" note on future console sales charts?

The "DS Shortages" has a starting and ending arrow. The arrow shows it "ended" about 2 weeks ago.

Nevermind the fact that it only took 16-17 months to end the shortages.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
sphinx said:
This is going to be very stupidly frightening.

(Now, Nintendo, when do the new Wii colors come out plzkthxbye?)

test_account

XP-39C²
justjohn said:
so nintendo releases new colours on the day sony releases folks soul?. they just wont stop twisting the knife :lol

I dont know how popular a new colored console/handheld is in Japan, but i cant imagine that the majority of people are debating over getting a new colored DS or Folks Soul, so i doubt it will have much impact.

ziran said:

Maybe Nintendo is starting to sell on name alone...

Interesting ramifications, both good and bad, if it's true.

test_account said:
I dont know how popular a new colored console/handheld is in Japan, but i cant imagine that the majority of people are debating over getting a new colored DS or Folks Soul, so i doubt it will have much impact.

It looks good on paper. The same way they kind of time increase Wii shipments with whatever notable stuff happens with the competition. Whatever to break the competition's spirit. :lol

justchris

Guys, Folks Soul is a niche title on a system with a small userbase. You might be getting your hopes up a tad on how well it's gonna sell. I'd expect the best it'll do is match what NGS did this week. I don't really expect to see serious sales of a PS3 games until Minna no Golf 5 (although, to be fair, I expected NGS to have more of an effect on PS3 hardware than it appears it did from the early Famitsu numbers).

Anyway..., does anyone think if Phantom Hourglass sells well, it will have an effect on Twilight Princess sales?

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
It looks good on paper. The same way they kind of time increase Wii shipments with whatever notable stuff happens with the competition. Whatever to break the competition's spirit. :lol

Sure, they might have planned on releasing new colored DS the same day as Folks Soul just to "steal their thunder", but i still think it will have minimal impact on Folks Soul salenumbers. But i guess new DS color seems more popular anyway :)

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.

jesusraz

Since creamsugar was able to bring us some early leaked Famitsu numbers...Any chance of getting some of the leaked MC numbers as well? It's been quite a while since we've had something like that.

Great to see Observation Training back at No.1. With More Brain Training only just about to hit Europe, though, and General Knowledge Training likely next on the cards, it could be a LONG wait for the English edition of OT.

Layton definitely has to come over now, surely. 600,000+ units sold in Japan is phenomenal! The delay in announcement must just be because a lot of effort will have to go into localising many of the Japan-specific puzzles.

test_account

XP-39C²

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
test_account said:
Amazing what some color can do :) (if they all are there mostly/only for the DS color tho)

It's simply the fact that a new colour being launched equals higher shipments. It's not a testamant to the popularity of a colour so much as the fact that there are some freakin' machines available to buy.

test_account

XP-39C²
SovanJedi said:
It's simply the fact that a new colour being launched equals higher shipments. It's not a testamant to the popularity of a colour so much as the fact that there are some freakin' machines available to buy.

Ye, true that. I guess most of those would buy a DS no matter what color it was, they just want a DS :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but I think its interesting to note that it appears that SPM and BBA have found their legs- both have been hanging around about the same spot in the top 30 for the last 3 weeks or so. It wouldn't suprise me if the Wii Sports attach rate has gone down a bit...

Sucks for RE4, but I think N.A sales will more than make up for it.

Brofist

test_account said:
Ye, true that. I guess most of those would buy a DS no matter what color it was, they just want a DS :)

Nintendo hardware has a seemingly collectible feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there are people that go after the new colors just to have them.

Top Bottom