• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 6/16 - 6/22

botticus

iidesuyo said:
That game had been released on Wii too... it didn't even make it into the Top 30?
Not even close. Pretty sure it was pegged at 1500 (unless I'm mistaking that from first day sales - either way, DOA).

Edit: Yep, that was the early Famitsu number. Also of note from the last thread, this game has already outsold each of the previous games on PS2.

SovanJedi said:
Probably the easiest way to tell is to look at the staff credits for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, and see how many more people worked on MGS4 than there were on MSG2.

How about you compare MGS3 to MGS2 and then apply a linear progression again from MGS3 to the hypothetical Wii MGS4 before you start comparing a title from 2001 to a title from 2008. I have no idea what ratio staff increased by but I'm certain there was an increase in resources between 2 and 3. Kojima and co. are consistently trying to top themselves so you can't simply boil this down to texture resolution and poly counts and say a Wii version would cost similar to MGS2, because it simply wouldn't.

AniHawk

Rock_Man said:
Btw:
PSP 59,351
Wii 41,037
DS Lite 36,599
PS3 20,336
PS2 6,346
Xbox 360 2,555

Good to see Sony back on top. Why can't Nintendo keep up? I thought the DS was supposed to be popular.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-82.jpg

mc-weekly-line-82.jpg

Notes

[ ] With the release of MGS4, last week the PS3 had its 2nd biggest week ever, just 1k units behind it's 4th week on sale way back in the 3rd week of December, 2007.

[ ] At 75k, the PS3 experienced just its 4th week ever over 70k. In contrast, the Wii has spent 35 weeks over 70k, 22 weeks over 80k, 15 weeks over 90k, 12 weeks over 100k, 7 weeks over 150k, and 4 weeks over 200k.

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the last 12 weeks:
0.61 <- GearBump
==========
Lifetime: 2.88

apujanata

PantherLotus said:
[ ] At 75k, the PS3 experienced just its 4th week ever over 70k. In contrast, the Wii has spent 35 weeks over 70k, 22 weeks over 80k, 15 weeks over 90k, 12 weeks over 100k, 7 weeks over 150k, and 4 weeks over 200k.

I think you goes overboard a little bit with your 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k, 150k and 200k. At least you didn't add 110, 120k, 130k, 140k etc. However, I do like those "overboard" data :D.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-82.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-82.jpg

Notes

[ ] The Wii held 70.00% for exactly ONE week, before the PS3 so greedily snatched it away.

[ ] The Wii has lost nearly 0.09% market share in two weeks. That's almost 1/10th of 1%!!

[ ] The 360 is steadily plugging away at that unreachable 6.00% market share. Just like "one million units," it may never actually get there.

[ ] The PS3 hasn't been above 25.00% market share since the week of 04-22-07.

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.02
[ ] PS3: + 0.06
[ ] Wii: - 0.03

(don't ask. rounding errors)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
apujanata said:
I think you goes overboard a little bit with your 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k, 150k and 200k. At least you didn't add 110, 120k, 130k, 140k etc. However, I do like those "overboard" data :D.

Initially, I did not intend to do so. When I saw that almost half of those weeks were over 100k, I decided to investigate further. 3 full months since launch over 100k?! Jaheezus! I hope nobody's feelings get hurt with this data.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-wii-lead-82.jpg

mc-YOY-weekly-82.jpg

mc-YOY-YTD-82.jpg

Year-on-year tracking
Wii: - 230,273
PS3: + 52,058

Notes

[ ] With the Wii selling almost a quarter of a million units less than it did to this point last year, and the PS3 matching its mark plus another fifty grand, it's clear that Sony has the momentum this year and is the team to beat.

So assume Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit sold say 10k at #15.

In that case Sony sold 95k PS3s in the last two weeks while managing to sell only 28k games (in the top 50 obviously) not called MGSIV in those two weeks.

Didn't anyone pick up more than one game for their shiny new PS3 or see something else they liked while at the store for MGS?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lowlylowlycook said:
So assume Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit sold say 10k at #15.

In that case Sony sold 95k PS3s in the last two weeks while managing to sell only 28k games (in the top 50 obviously) not called MGSIV in those two weeks.

Didn't anyone pick up more than one game for their shiny new PS3 or see something else they liked while at the store for MGS?
Unlikely, given the various reports of MGS4 copies and PS3 consoles hitting the used section over there.

PantherLotus said:
Year-on-year tracking
Wii: - 230,273
PS3: + 52,058

Notes

[ ] With the Wii selling almost a quarter of a million units less than it did to this point last year, and the PS3 matching its mark plus another fifty grand, it's clear that Sony has the momentum this year and is the team to beat.

Heh. Got to love statistics-based sarcasm.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
viciouskillersquirrel said:
What server are you hosting those pics on, PanterLotus? I'm only getting red Xs in place of their usual awesomeness ;_;

sorry, been having problems with it all day. no idea what i'll do if it goes down.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
With the Wii selling almost a quarter of a million units less than it did to this point last year, and the PS3 matching its mark plus another fifty grand, it's clear that Sony has the momentum this year and is the team to beat.

that is so fucking awesome, this clearly means tic-toc for nintendo.

tic....toc....tic....toc

see nintendo?

it's tic-tic for you.

hirokazu

Just noticed, why is MGS4 the same price as WiiFit in Japan? As if the price of the PS3 alone wasn't expensive enough. Are they mad?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
hirokazu said:
Just noticed, why is MGS4 the same price as WiiFit in Japan? As if the price of the PS3 alone wasn't expensive enough. Are they mad?

Its the same with FFs and DQs

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
perfectchaos007 said:
PS3: Just wait for....FFXIII?

So we can go through the same 2-3 week romance with the sales like we did here? The proper answer is wait till PS4

TunaLover

hirokazu said:
The game was hell expensive to make, why lost the chance to sell it at premium price when your fanbase is going to pay the price regardless?

In that case the price is irrelevant, being a game focused to very specific audience, it could to have no variations in units sold at lower price.

Agent Icebeezy said:
So we can go through the same 2-3 week romance with the sales like we did here? The proper answer is wait till PS4

no wait, no wait, I got it!

Just wait till: Blu-Ray takes over DVD as the leading format. Yeah thats the winner. Worked for PS2 when DVD took over VHS

perfectchaos007 said:
no wait, no wait, I got it!

Just wait till: Blu-Ray takes over DVD as the leading format. Yeah thats the winner. Worked for PS2 when DVD took over VHS
I'm trying to decide whether you're being sarcastic or not. Your wording very stongly implies that you're being sarcastic. In that case, this comment is both clever and whitty.

Your avatar and approach to Libertarianism, however, give me pause.

That said, my opinion of you has become more positive by one step.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm trying to decide whether you're being sarcastic or not. Your wording very stongly implies that you're being sarcastic. In that case, this comment is both clever and whitty.

Your avatar and approach to Libertarianism, however, give me pause.

That said, my opinion of you has become more positive by one step.

Well thats good to know. I may be weird in this way, but to be honest I don't have any negative feelings toward any poster here.
Well Enron came close and I am kinda mad that the mods won't respond to my pm plee to get my member status back
I've been in plenty of debates on this board as you know and our opinions usually differ, but once I make my point, I couldn't care less if you agree with my opinion or not, I just want to say what I feel and the reader can take it or leave it. I know other posters can take things more personally, but...*sniff* I still love you guys.

dolemite said:
Why such a huge drop for the PS3? Blame the bundles?
Blame Japan.

womfalcs3 said:
Could the large size of PS3 be turning off some Japanese gamers?
Probably a combination of (launch) price, lack of a diverse line-up, size, focus on online instead of social gaming, which leads to a certain perception.

But while the PS3 is huge (a lot bigger than I expected) the balance board is bigger than a PS3 and on top of that you need much more room to actually play with that thing. It probably isn't a big factor in the light of this.

You could always "wait for" a redesign though, it'll probably come in the not too far away future with Sony's focus on cost-cutting.

hirokazu said:
Why? Pretty much all of the fanbase is buying the game. If they would've priced it lower they would have achieved the same sales in all probability, only with less revenue and profit. I haven't played it, but watching the cutscenes alone you can tell that a lot of effort went into making the game, so in this case I think the higher price is also justified.

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 38.1 / 61.9, bringing total shares to 70.1 / 29.9. At this week's rates PSP catches DS in 574.0 weeks (June 23, 2019). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 220.0 weeks (September 10, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 33.1 / 66.9, bringing total shares to 25.8 / 74.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 201.2 weeks (May 1, 2012).

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 84 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 19.0 weeks (July 8, 2000), where PSP was at 51.5 weeks (November 30, 2005), where GCN was at 84.5 weeks (April 23, 2003), and where Wii was at 21.2 weeks (April 23, 2007).

Wow. Last week PS3 was where PS2 was at 18.1 weeks, so even MGS4-bump didn't move things a full PS2 week. But GCN has been surpassed again!
PS3%20in%20terms%20of%20GCN

Wii comparisons: After 81 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 83.7 weeks (October 25, 2002), where DS was at 67.1 weeks (March 12, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.5 weeks (December 26, 2001), and where PSP was at 146.1 weeks (September 23, 2007).

Famitsu's software pie for the week of 2008-06-09
PS3: 45.8
DS: 26.4
Wii: 13.6
PSP: 8.8
PS2: 4.0
X360: 1.1
Other: 0.2

First time PS3 has been in first. Third time it's been above Wii (after Wii launch). Also a new low for PS2.

New Famitsu software data into Garaph, though some of the new games are just shitty Babelfish translations until I copy off of donny's answers. Things of note:

Sega's Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! is either the beneficiary of a bump or was the victim of a shortage. Last week it was rank 56 with 2.4K sales, this week it's rank 15 with 9.4K sales.

Brawl returns to the top 30, having gained 4-5K for each week since we last saw it.

Not new this week, but I notice Link's Crossbow Training is no longer the fastest-selling Zapper title, with RE:UC being higher at the same age.

DS Front Mission 2089 is now outpacing the first DS Front Mission as well as Front Mission Online, though it's still behind both of them. And all three of those are waaaay behind Front Mission 4 and 5.

New group: Pokémon Ranger. Batonnage hasn't passed up the original yet, but it is higher for the same age.

Taking a look at how Mario Kart Wii (blue) is holding up compared to the rest of the series, it's still nearly 400K higher than where MKDS (red) was at the same age, and looks to be increasing the gap each week. (Green: Super Circuit. Black: Double Dash!!)

New group: Bandai's Family X. I notice Family Trainer actually has a better start than Family Ski, though it appears to be slowing down more quickly.

The Innocent X said:
I presume it might stay ahead now, with the aftereffects of the gearbump
That does seem likely, though it depends how much PS3 goes back to its pre-MGS4 sales and then how muted the next holiday season's sales are. Let me expand the comparison to include GCN's 2003 holiday bump.

PS3's next holiday bump will come before GCN's, though, so if it's decent-sized it should be able to weather the GCN's surge.

Datschge

PS3 has one last GC hill ahead to climb. After that Sony achieved above GC grade dominance.
lol
Beaten, removed same looking pic. =/

RJT

JoshuaJSlone said:
That does seem likely, though it depends how much PS3 goes back to its pre-MGS4 sales and then how muted the next holiday season's sales are. Let me expand the comparison to include GCN's 2003 holiday bump.

<GARAPH>

PS3's next holiday bump will come before GCN's, though, so if it's decent-sized it should be able to weather the GCN's surge.
Thanks Josh. I was wondering if GCN had any bump in the following weeks that could make it past PS3 again, but it doesn't seem likely.

RJT

JoshuaJSlone said:
New group: Bandai's Family X. I notice Family Trainer actually has a better start than Family Ski, though it appears to be slowing down more quickly.
Didn't you miss Family Jockey (Wii, Bandai Namco) in that group? It was released late February/early March, I think.

Edit: Apparently, it bombed so hard it didn't even make the charts (according to donny)

Cromat

It's weird that the PSP is doing so well without having anything on the horizon except the S-E stuff. Sony should really start supporting it again.

First day sales :

Derby Stallion (DS) - 120k
ToS Wii - 120k
Band Brothers DX - 70k
New Evangelion (PS2) - 30k
Higurashi DS - 22k
Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono (PSP) - 17k
Gundam Operation Troy (X360) - 20k
Basara X (PS2) - 16k
Bleach 3rd (DS) - 14k
KOF 98 (PS2) - 13k
Disgaea DS - 11k
Battlefield BC (X360) - 9k
The Tower DS - 4k
Winning Post 6 (PSP) - 3k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10110479888.html

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AnimeTheme said:
No.

ToS Wii: 120k (70% sell-thru)
ToS GC: 160k (~60% sell-thru)

So initial shipment is about 170K.

Should just about sell through the initial shipment first week.

Hope they have another shipment ready to go

Top Bottom