• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/18 - 6/24

Sule

Oblivion said:

62f2ys0.gif

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
justchris said:
Okay, how about this for speculation then? After careful consideration, and with shortages ending, I'm beginning to suspect Nintendo is planning a price drop on the DS in time for the release of DQIX. Probably 2-3 weeks before.

Just the one slight flaw in that speculation: Why the hell would Nintendo do that? the DS will sell like nobodies business with the release of DX9 regardless of a price drop, if they did drop it, it would be 3 months after, once the DQ effect wore off.

Deku

Banned
Vinnk said:

The staff of Wanpaku knows me and they also know from my point card that I am a very good customer. My counting doesn't bother them. Or perhaps it does a bit, but not nearly as much as all the “DS kids” who are at the store almost every day, sitting on the floor by the DS download station. They stay for hours and never buy anything. I count for 3 minutes and often pick up something.

So fear not, I am in very little danger of being arrested for shopping. And if I ever were kicked out of a store, it would make a great post.[/QUOTE]

Hey Vinnk, thanks for your report on Folks Soul, much appreciated. BTW, these 'DS kids' sound like some sort of social phenomenon or is it more or less akin of kids hanging out at stores to trade cards and toys. They sound like an interesting bunch, what else can you tell us about these kids. The concept of download stations aren't new there but downloading demos to portables that can be played on the spot is different. So I'm interested if in 10 years we'll have grown adults talking fondly of those days by the download station.

Man, top11-30 is so uninteresting. Lets hope Famitsu makes an error and gives top31-50 numbers...

Btw, more wtf PSP numbers...Media-Create vs Famitsu

GW combined (4/23-5/6) - 69.032 vs 69,113
5/7-5/13 - 34,433 vs 33,438
5/14-5/20 - 27,505 vs 26,044
5/21-5/27 - 26,097 vs 26,446
5/28-6/3 - 26,358 vs 26,348
6/4-6/10 - 24,711 vs 28,974
6/11-6/17 - 33,359 vs 27,772
6/18-6/24 - 32,984 vs --,---

If I had to guess, lets say MC underestimated PSP on 6/4-6/10 so they overestimated it by that amount the next week....but now, where does another 33k week come from? Doesn't look like Famitsu is going to have it anywhere near 33k.

Parl

They're meant to be manufacturing 2.5 million DS's per month, but we see "only" 1.5 million or so sell each month, lately. Obviously about 500k DS's need to be saved per month for the fall period, but it still makes you wonder what's happening with the remaining 500k.

Are they betting on games and price drops to propel DS into insane sales, even by DS Lite standards? $99 in US? 79 quid in UK, and 79 euros in Europe (I think)?

But obviously, with a price drop, they're losing the opportunity to get more coin per unit for people who'd willingly pay the current price. However, if that means that the extra people who buy the console buy enough software to make that opportunity cost back up, then they're fine. Also, extra market share is a good long-term investment because of brand name, mindshare, and all that.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
milanbaros said:
I've seen that PS vs PS2 vs PS3 graph before. Why is it used?
Spin and misinformation
milanbaros said:
Doesn't it show that the PS2 was selling better in Japan than the PS3 has done worldwide?
Yes, unless you don't know that the PS2 was japan-only for the first 6 months or so, since the PS3 was a "worldwide" release most people would assume the comparison is fair and apple-to-apple, while it's apple-to-oranges really.

And of course, no chart comparing the PS3 sales with the Wii and Xbox sales...
Parl said:
Are they betting on games and price drops to propel DS into insane sales, even by DS Lite standards? $99 in US? 79 quid in UK, and 79 euros in Europe (I think)?
The DS lite is >130 euros in europe (and I've seen it as high as 150), if the US price drops to $99, then the euro price will drop to... 125 euros, maybe?

BboyDubC

Hmm, I solely bought a DS here in Japan for this Kanji dictionary that lets you draw kanji on the screen for you to look them up (best freaking game ever on the DS and worth the 170 American dollars total for the DS + "game"), but I just cant seem to resist this zelda (had no clue it was coming out since was never interested in the DS). 300k+ sales and a 39/40? Add one Japanese sale due to impulse buying after reading GAF. I'm going to go pick it up now (in Japan for the summer doing study abroad).

BboyDubC said:
Hmm, I solely bought a DS here in Japan for this Kanji dictionary that lets you draw kanji on the screen for you to look them up (best freaking game ever on the DS and worth the 170 American dollars total for the DS + "game"), but I just cant seem to resist this zelda (had no clue it was coming out since was never interested in the DS). 300k+ sales and a 39/40? Add one Japanese sale due to impulse buying after reading GAF. I'm going to go pick it up now (in Japan for the summer doing study abroad).

NINTENDOMINATION IN ACTION. SUMMON THE IWATA GIFS.

Your avatar is hot BTW.

Neo C.

Parl said:
They're meant to be manufacturing 2.5 million DS's per month, but we see "only" 1.5 million or so sell each month, lately. Obviously about 500k DS's need to be saved per month for the fall period, but it still makes you wonder what's happening with the remaining 500k.
How is the situation in the USA? Are there plenty DS Lites in the shelf? I guess Nintendo ships more than they could sell in Europe and in the USA, even in Japan the DS isn't supply constrained anymore (I don't say the demand isn't there, but obviously the situation is better than months before).
I assume they really save a lot of Lites for Fall and for the Christmas.

Parl

Neo C. said:
How is the situation in the USA? Are there plenty DS Lites in the shelf? I guess Nintendo ships more than they could sell in Europe and in the USA, even in Japan the DS isn't supply constrained anymore (I don't say the demand isn't there, but obviously the situation is better than months before).
I assume they really save a lot of Lites for Fall and for the Christmas.

I dunno what the supply situation is like in the US. But I imagine it's fairly Just In Time, with a decent amount of buffer. Just nowhere near as much buffer stock as 360, PSP and PS3.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Close. ~25% that week, among those three consoles only.

For June 11-17 Famitsu's software pie gives these percents

DS: 57.1
Wii: 13.4
PS2: 9.5
PS3: 6.6
PSP: 6.4
X360: 6.3
Other: 0.6

From that he just takes the Wii/PS3/X360 values, and thus for this week it works out to

Wii: 51.0
PS3: 25.1
X360: 24.0

Ok thanks :) Thats sorta what i thought. I just found it alittle wierd that it said 100% on 360 everywhere hehe, but i guessed it had to be counting downwards (or vice versa of course) on 360, like from 100% to 75% and find the difference there.

I don't think anyone has noticed that numbers 28, 29 and 30 in the software chart have been repeated. Dunno why though. It confused me for at least 2 mins.

So Cheesy or whoever's in charge, they could sort it out, although it is a little late, so maybe there's no point. It would look better as an archive.

It goes like this

First day numbers:

PS2 Super Robot Wars Original Generations - ~200k (70% sell through)
PS2 Tales of Fandom Vol2 Tear and Luke versions- ~35k
PSP Ratchet & Clank 5: Gekitotsu! Dodeka Ginga no MiriMiri Gundan - ~20k

NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Gaikyoushuu - ~10k
WII Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race - ~10k
NDS Kawa no Nushi Tsuri: Komorebi no Tani, Seseragi no Uta [Legend of the River King] - ~10k

PS3 Rainbow Six Vegas - ~5k
PS2 Baroque - ~5k
PS2 Shinseiki Evangelion: Battle Orchestra - ~5k

NDS Chuukana Janshi Tenhoo Painyan Remix - <1k
PSP Chuukana Janshi Tenhoo Painyan Remix - Even less

EDIT: Fixed some names...

Cheesemeister said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   163,918 |   118,6[B]84[/B] | 3,814,038 | 17,819,717
2. WII   -    65,5[B]82[/B] |    65,521 | 1,880,933 |  2,800,576
3. PSP   -    32,9[B]84[/B] |    33,359 | 1,044,842 |  5,576,971
4. PS2   -    11,962 |    11,974 |   404,057 | 20,558,916
5. PS3   -     9,5[B]81[/B] |     9,4[B]81[/B] |   481,017 |    938,575
6. 360   -     3,369 |     7,583 |   115,429 |    380,131
7. GBA   -       414 |       867 |    40,232 | 15,338,311
8. NGC   -        [B]82[/B] |       223 |     8,308 |  4,177,776
GBA = 0 GBA + 130 SP + 284 Micro
NDS = 30 DS + 163,888 Lite
?

Kafel

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WII Kawa No Nushi Tsuri - ~10k

Isn't it Legend of the River King ? If so I think it's a DS game.

DK TJR seems to have the sales it deserves.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day numbers:

PS2 Tales of Fandom Vol2 - ~35k
PSP Ratchet and Clank 5 - ~20k

PS2 Baroque - ~5k
PS2 Evangelion New Battle Orchestra - ~5k

NDS Tenhopainyan Remix - <1k
PSP Tenhopainyan Remix - Even less

Wow. PS2 will never die. PS3's bombas. Dk's bomba (as expected). Next gen totally refused.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day numbers:

PS2 Tales of Fandom Vol2 - ~35k
PSP Ratchet and Clank 5 - ~20k

PS2 Baroque - ~5k
PS2 Evangelion New Battle Orchestra - ~5k

NDS Tenhopainyan Remix - <1k
PSP Tenhopainyan Remix - Even less
Wow, crap sales all around except for SWR:OG.

Magicpaint said:
Is the Tales of Fandom number for both versions?
Yes, both versions and nearly 50/50 for them. Its a good start although I expected a little more because I think its going to be extremely front-loaded. It still beats other first day starts like Trusty Bell, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resident Evil 4, Guilty Gear, Ratchet and Clank 5...not bad :D

Kafel said:
Isn't it Legend of the River King ? If so I think it's a DS game.
Yeah, I hope we get the releases list in the first post back, some titles are difficult for me :lol

Changing it to Kawa no Nushi Tsuri: Komorebi no Tani, Seseragi no Uta (DS) then.

Btw, just checked Dengeki rankings because I didn't like MC numbers for Growlanser VI and Mana-Khemia :p

Famitsu:
4. Growlanser VI
5. Wii Sports
6. Hajime no Ippo Revolution
7. Mana-Khemia

Dengeki:
4. Growlanser VI
5. Wii Sports
6. Mana-Khemia
7. Hajime no Ippo Revolution

Media-Create:
4. Wii Sports
5. Growlanser VI
6. Hajime no Ippo Revolution
7. Wii Play
8. Mana-Khemia

Bad MC downballing my RPG games :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yes, both versions and nearly 50/50 for them. Its a good start although I expected a little more because I think its going to be extremely front-loaded.

Yeah, I was expecting a bit more too, I'm sure it won't have great loegs, but maybe it'll add more in the coming days and put up a respectable first week number, something well over 50k would be nice.

Then they can go on and announce a new real Tales game already! It's been too long. Yes! :lol

BboyDubC

BrodiemanTTR said:
NINTENDOMINATION IN ACTION. SUMMON THE IWATA GIFS.

Your avatar is hot BTW.

This kanji dictionary literally caused about 10 fellow people at my school here to run out and immediately buy both the ds and the "game". It even recognizes poorly drawn kanji. DS killer app. Kanji dictionaries that let you draw on them go for like 300-400 and arent half as good as this one.

LOCK

Resident Evil 4 is going to sell half a million WW easy. Wow for a port.

DS sales WW:
Japan ~ 600k
USA ~ 500k
Euope ~ at least 500k
Other ~ 100k

Total a month: 1.7mil

That leaves 800k unsold each month. That makes me blieve that the Holiday season is going to be massive. At least 3mil sold in December here in the states.

donny2112

kkg1701 said:
What's the lowest number of DS lites sold in a week?

Not exactly what you were looking for, but ...

Feb. 6-12, 2006 - 10,223 <- severest of the shortage weeks before the DSLite was released.
Mar. 26 - Apr. 1, 2007 - 80,012 <- most recent week <100K for the DS combined

Famitsu June 11-17

1. NDS Observation Training 67375 / 252531
2. 360 Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream 43592 / NEW
3. PS3 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 40886 / NEW
4. WII Wii Sports 31211 / 1620205
5. NDS Brain Training 2 24278 / 4434509
6. NDS More English Training 22847 / 325333
7. WII Wii Play 19048 / 1276006
8. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 17547 / 4569739
9. NDS Brain Training 16947 / 3362772
10. PS2 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 10: CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Kiseki no Kachi 16542 / 81728
11. NDS Ouendan 2 15725 / 144689
12. NDS English Training 14932 / 1841634
13. NDS Mario Kart DS 14792 / 2219123
14. PS3 Call of Duty 3 14117 / NEW
15. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 13176 / 4156810
16. PSP Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 2 13116 / 55104
17. PSP Final Fantasy II 11648 / 45627
18. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan 11609 / 237370
19. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 11080 / 568315
20. WII Super Paper Mario 10633 / 433784
21. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 10612 / 5173883
22. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 9821 / 771152
23. WII Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition 8924 / 73535
24. NDS General Knowledge Training 8877 / 1435457
25. NDS Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest 8662 / 65632
26. NDS Kanji Brain 7574 / 457497
27. NDS Kurikin: Nano Island Story 7394 / 50256
28. WII Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace 7236 / 25969
29. WII Gentle Brain Training Wii 7145 / 181598
30. NDS Ace Attorney 4 7121 / 444283

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
justchris said:
Okay, how about this for speculation then? After careful consideration, and with shortages ending, I'm beginning to suspect Nintendo is planning a price drop on the DS in time for the release of DQIX. Probably 2-3 weeks before.

Wha..?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Go Nintendo is reporting that DQ:Swords commercials are coming out, and are even going to be playing at movie theatres.

Really really interested to see how this sells- anyone know the first week shipment?

schuelma said:
Go Nintendo is reporting that DQ:Swords commercials are coming out, and are even going to be playing at movie theatres.

Really really interested to see how this sells- anyone know the first week shipment?
250k initially, but they upped it to 350k according to a June 20th sinobi post and trnaslations by Cheesemeister and creamsugar.

titiklabingapat said:
250k initially, but they upped it to 350k according to a June 20th sinobi post and trnaslations by Cheesemeister and creamsugar.
Interesting. I wonder if they know that this will likely sell to every single user in Japan.

schuelma

TheKingsCrown said:
Interesting. I wonder if they know that this will likely sell to every single user in Japan.

Yeah I think its going to be big- DQ name, easy pick up and play, extensive Wiimote use.

the thoroughbred said:
I don't think anyone has noticed that numbers 28, 29 and 30 in the software chart have been repeated. Dunno why though. It confused me for at least 2 mins.

I honestly have no idea how that happened. Pasting error, maybe? *shrug* Fixed now.

First Children said:

Yes, that's correct. There were 284 GB Micro systems sold last week.

Evlar

Banned
BboyDubC said:
This kanji dictionary literally caused about 10 fellow people at my school here to run out and immediately buy both the ds and the "game". It even recognizes poorly drawn kanji. DS killer app. Kanji dictionaries that let you draw on them go for like 300-400 and arent half as good as this one.
Which Kanji training product is this exactly?

Oblivion said:

"PSX had160GB HDD or 250GB HDD. Xbox has Internal Memory, not HDD. PSX is the first console to have HDD." :lol

TheKingsCrown said:

Even with the raise, 350k seems low to me. We have enough impressions to be confident that DQS is a good game (and we won't get any RW or TB-style "surprises"), it's got Horii's name on it for realz, and apparently there's more overall interest than there was in Joker (which went on to sell a million.)

Magicpaint said:
Then they can go on and announce a new real Tales game already! It's been too long. Yes! :lol
I'm surprised there isn't a Tales event in June and that they didn't add a promotional video for a new game in the Fandom Vol2 bonus DVD :lol

Well, I don't care as long as Hometek doesn't show a Tales made by themselves. Thank god EGM rumors turning true ratio has lowered...

schuelma

charlequin said:
"PSX had160GB HDD or 250GB HDD. Xbox has Internal Memory, not HDD. PSX is the first console to have HDD." :lol

Even with the raise, 350k seems low to me. We have enough impressions to be confident that DQS is a good game (and we won't get any RW or TB-style "surprises"), it's got Horii's name on it for realz, and apparently there's more overall interest than there was in Joker (which went on to sell a million.)

Yeah, I wonder if they'll give it one more raise.

BboyDubC

Cheesemeister said:

Apparently it is popular enough that I didnt even need to name it first. The thing is a ridiculous godsend. The days of looking up stuff by radicals and stroke order are forever over. I use it as my dictionary for words I know the hiragana for too actually since it is so quick to just write hiragan on it or use the visual keypad that I can pull up.

BboyDubC

Jirotrom said:
I take it this doesnt translate into english?

BTW Wii Sports is sick.

It does. Or else, what would be the point... Japanese --> English, English --> Japanese, and Japanese --> more Japanese (explains japanese words in a bunch of more new kanji that you need to look up if you are a Japanese noob).

Parl said:

How can you be sure that "only" 1.5 million are selling a month when we have no European figures, though? I think it is worth noting that the DS is the premier system in UK retail stores now, its getting the most prime locations and the most shelf space behind the PS2 (which is mainly because of the 1000's of preowned games). The software charts for the UK, and many other places in Europe reflect this as well.

Europe's getting More Brain Training this week and the Pokebomb still hasn't been dropped here, so they must have a sizeable stockpile ready for these two huge titles, because they'll need it.

LM4sure said:
Can we start talking about when the Wii will pass the PSP yet? Or are talks too early?
Without basing it on a single week's sales as I do with PS2 and DS... Wii is at 2.8 million, PSP is at 5.6 million. Over the last 5 weeks Wii has outsold PSP 2.26:1. If that holds indefinitely, Wii will pass PSP when they're both around 7.8 million, a full 5 million more for Wii. Another year at least.

Top Bottom