• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9 - 15 Oct

cvxfreak

exact numbers:

1. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond - 159,443 / 1,233,570
2. (GBA, Square-Enix) Final Fantasy V Advance - 124,840
3. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl - 116,051 / 1,096,932
4. (PS2, Bandai Namco) Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo - 67,642 / 331,540
5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 40,609 / 3,274,402
6. (DS, Rocket Co.) Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS - 36,622 / 120,713
7. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 25,758 / 3,314,005
8. (PS2, SCE) Bleach Blade Battles - 25,203
9. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 23,627 / 3,328,871
10. (PS2, SCE) Minna no Tennis - 22,599 / 439,106

There's blatently shortages. I'd say that if Nintendo announced today that they would ship millions of there top 15 games and DSL's, next week, we would see huge queues of people waiting in line on Sunday night trying to get DSL's. And they would all be sold out. This is on a next level phenomena. Its not quite as big as iPod though. Maybe its because it hasn't been publicised yet. Its probably on the 170k per week in Europe and around 100k in NA. They just can't keep up demand. They should just increase the price. Right now in the Uk its at around £100, it could go to £140. In the UK they should leave it at £99, but everywhere else an increase of 40% would do them real nicely. BTW its from a business perspective, so I don't actually want people not to own one due to affordability. So I hope noone has a fit at me. The pounds are really strong, and everything in the UK is expensive, but everywhere else its cheaper, even when comparing things relatively.

PS - Mario Kart is doing quite well. Its got some nice long legs in tights and stilettos. I am a sucker for good legs. I reckon it could hit a 50k during this holiday. 2mil is a long way away, but definately not out of its reach.

adg1034

Sooooo... what happened to Dead Rising? Wasn't it #11 last week?

*doesn't know what the difference between VGcharts and Media Create is, though I fully comprehend the analysis of the numbers in the OP*

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
the thoroughbred said:
There's blatently shortages. I'd say that if Nintendo announced today that they would ship millions of there top 15 games and DSL's, next week, we would see huge queues of people waiting in line on Sunday night trying to get DSL's. And they would all be sold out. This is on a next level phenomena. Its not quite as big as iPod though. Maybe its because it hasn't been publicised yet. Its probably on the 170k per week in Europe and around 100k in NA. They just can't keep up demand. They should just increase the price. Right now in the Uk its at around £100, it could go to £140. In the UK they should leave it at £99, but everywhere else an increase of 40% would do them real nicely. BTW its from a business perspective, so I don't actually want people not to own one due to affordability. So I hope noone has a fit at me. The pounds are really strong, and everything in the UK is expensive, but everywhere else its cheaper, even when comparing things relatively.

PS - Mario Kart is doing quite well. Its got some nice long legs in tights and stilettos. I am a sucker for good legs. I reckon it could hit a 50k during this holiday. 2mil is a long way away, but definately not out of its reach.
INCREASE the price? :lol

:lol

I'm glad you don't run a business.

cvxfreak

BTW, Jonnyram stated in the previous Media Create thread that Nintendo has received 1 Million orders of General Knowledge Training, due out next week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
BTW, Jonnyram stated in the previous Media Create thread that Nintendo has received 1 Million orders of General Knowledge Training, due out next week.
How many will Nintendo ship?

ethelred

Agreed with Dalthien -- fantastic job on the MC thread this week, CVX. I think you should be designated GAF's Official Media Create Thread Creator. :D

Also, can I just say what a delight it is to see the return of numbers below the top 10? I'm sure you guys can all agree with me on that one.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Man FF3 already selling less than 23k? Maybe it won't reach a million.

Nah -- I'm still quite convinced this game will get to a million. Being at 800k now with the holidays approaching -- let's lowball and say it drops in half this week and sells 10k a week until December 10th. That'll put it at 880k. Say it gets bumped up to a (again, still being quite conservative here) 30k a week after that for the holiday rush -- it'll break a million the first week of the New Year.

I think those numbers are undershooting it, too, by the way, because I'm still pretty sure we'll see it hit 1 mil before the year's out (though it'll be close, most likely).

cvxfreak said:
2. (GBA, Square-Enix) Final Fanta...s now a lead of over 224,000 in Hoops' favor.

gconsole

the thoroughbred said:

iPod sold more than DS in japan ?

Tadaima

gconsole said:
iPod sold more than DS in japan ?

I remember seeing iPod sales in one of these friends a while back, and DS was certainly doing a lot better than it.

I only actually know a single person with an iPod.

GaimeGuy said:
INCREASE the price? :lol

I'm glad you don't run a business.

well from a supply and demand perspective only, he's right. If too many people want something, increase the price until demand no longer outstrips supply. Obviously (as he points out) Nintendo isn't actually going to do this, but you do see it happening on the used DS market in Japan. As I understand it, it's not uncommon to see used systems going for more than new ones.

Isn't FF3 mostly sold out though?

A little shocked that Mushiking 2 didn't do so well, considering how well the GBA original did.

MrDaravon

As far as I've heard, Pokemone/FF3 are still completely sold out due to shortages still. The numbers are low (relatively speaking), but that's because there's no more available. FF3 will hit a million one way or the other though. I had predicted higher sales, but I had not factored in extended cart shortages like we're seeing :|

mypoke35d.jpg

Rlan

Wow, Phantasy Star Universe completely TANKED. Shows what happens when you can't get the god damn servers working - but people didn't even buy it for the Single player experience?

jepense

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, a mod saying "ioi, stay out." is a different thing than a mod saying "You all must never mention his site or its contents."

True. But please, don't replace the debate about VGcharts' numbers with a debate on whether you can talk about the said numbers.

I WOULD like to know however how well D/P's third week compare to G/S and R/S

I know their 1st and 2nd week were tracking very nicely with both of the others

Bo130

LanceStern said:
I WOULD like to know however how well D/P's third week compare to G/S and R/S

G/S kicked D/Ps ass~ :(

But G/S is also one of the, if not the, fastest selling game of all time during a few or more weeks. Simply amazing.

I have said that FFIII could be 11#. And I had reason.
Anyway, Nothing new: Pokémon is selling very well (the calm before Christmas period), Animal Crossing and Brain Training....I say nothing !
Good performance for FFV, but it will have no legs...

Well, at the end, nothing really new.

2. (GBA, Square-Enix) Final Fantasy V Advance - 124,840
Not bad, IV was ~100k...maybe I expected a little more.

4. (PS2, Bandai Namco) Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo - 67,642 / 331,540
First one second week was 90k (and LTD 420k by then) so I guess this one will stop at around 425k. Quite good, although it breaks Z1 Z2 Z3 and Sparking >500k trend.

6. (DS, Rocket Co.) Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS - 36,622 / 120,713

120k in 3 weeks (45-40-35).......do you remember some other game doing similar to that? :)

10. (PS2, SCE) Minna no Tennis - 22,599 / 439,106

Ow, not that strong legs afterall...well, 500k at least.

11. (DS, Square Enix) Final Fantasy III - 20,000 / 802,000

Shortages or not, I thought it would be higher after 2 months.

41. (PSP, SCE) Loco Roco - 2,600 / 112,000
Uh....still deserves a sequel, doesn't it Sony? :/

43. (PSP, Bandai Namco) Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition - 2,600 / 99,000
So its going to break 100k, maybe 110k too. Not going to match GBA's 135k despite higher start. Well, maybe with a the best re-release.

50. (DS, Sega) Mushiking 2 - 2,200 / 93,000
So much for one of the potential 3rd party million sellers :/

I love when we get more numbers and LTDs :)

Lets see this week...umm, not big releases but a few interesting, Home Star and Tenchi no Mon 2 for PSP, Captain Tsubasa for PS2, Gunpey and Custom Robo for NDS. Any more?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
50. (DS, Sega) Mushiking 2 - 2,200 / 93,000
So much for one of the potential 3rd party million sellers :/

Oh no no no, not a potential million seller at all! Mushiking died down after the GBA and DS games, and the GBA game didn't even do 1 mill at the series' height of profit.

A Link to the Past said:
Oh no no no, not a potential million seller at all! Mushiking died down after the GBA and DS games, and the GBA game didn't even do 1 mill at the series' height of profit.
Not from me but I read a few times here putting it in the 3rd party games to sell big later in 2006.

I went back to look for posts and just found that most of them are by Stopsign :lol

Counting the Pokemon games separately (as MC are) the DS has a new million seller this week. We now stand at...

3 MILLION(S) +
Animal Crossing
More Brain Age
New Super Mario Bros!

2 MILLION(S) +
Brain Age

1 MILLION(S) +
Mario Kart DS
Nintendogs
English Training
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Diamond
Big Brain Academy
Tamagotchi
Warioware Touched! (By Famitsu Numbers - Here)

HALLO! SEE YOU SOON
Super Mario 64 DS
Final Fantasy III (?)
Tetris (?)

Phenomenal really.

Mato

Well, it's anticlimactic to see the DS being hold down by sortages for so long. I was really interested to see how big it can get and this way it will never become as big as it could be. I'm guessing Nintendo is waiting to see if the trend continiues after the upcoming holidays and throught the next year, before they invest on a new factory, right?

Mato said:
Well, it's anticlimactic to see the DS being hold down by sortages for so long. I was really interested to see how big it can get and this way it will never become as big as it could be. I'm guessing Nintendo is waiting to see if the trend continiues after the upcoming holidays and throught the next year, before they invest on a new factory, right?

Anticlimatic? I was thinking more along the lines of ridiculous. They've had hardware shortages for almost and entire year now, not to mention that they apparently can't keep up on cart production either. It's really amazing just how successful the DS has become. And that's the against the strongest competition any Nintendo handheld has faced.

Mato

Well, it's anticlimactic because we've known the DS is doing really well for a while now, so considering Pokemon and FFIII were released not too long ago you'd expect to see it do outofthisworld well, yet it's doing on par with what it did during the rest of the year. DS is like trying to break free now, yet it's getting the same constant numbers. I think Nintendo is not fully supporting their vision of truly mainstream, worldwide gaming, they are still at the very top end of regular gaming sales.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Mato said:
considering Pokemon and FFIII were released not too long ago you'd expect to see it do outofthisworld well

considering the massive DSL hardware and software shortages I think they are doing perfectly well.

Mato said:
I think Nintendo is not fully supporting their vision of truly mainstream, worldwide gaming, they are still at the very top end of regular gaming sales.

er wtf? The DSL software and hardware sales are unbelieveable...far beyond the "top end of regular gaming sales" despite 12 months of shortages. It is precisely because DS has become a wider cultural phenomenon in Japan that these production issues have arisen, and precisely because Nintendo has provided software and hardware that is accessible to the mainstream that the DS has taken off so spectacularly. The crazy 100k+ sales practically every week since DSL release testify to that

Axord

Mato said:
I'm guessing Nintendo is waiting to see if the trend continiues after the upcoming holidays and throught the next year, before they invest on a new factory, right?
Well, they could have decided to build a new factory 6 months ago and it is possible--perhaps likely-- that it still wouldn't be operational by now. Such things are expensive, complex and take time.

Expansion like that is also a huge commitment, especailly considering Japanese land prices and staff retention practices.

MrSardonic said:
The DSL software and hardware sales are unbelieveable...far beyond the "top end of regular gaming sales"
So true. Even the PS2 in Japan very rarely cracked the 100k barrier (ignoring holiday weeks) and tended to hover around HALF that.

Calling SE and asking them how they so badly underestimated demand.

And BTW, lest you think otherwise, FF3DS is still completely sold out.

jett said:
Where are those douches that said FF3DS would reach 1.5-2 million units? :lol

And what did you predict? It's easy to point and laugh at others, but weren't you one of those that expected it to underperform?

It doesn't help matters that Square-Enix undershipped the game too. It's at 99% sell through every week.

fresquito

It's such a bizarre world when a console is having a costant 120+ weekly sales for so long, yet people is hungry for more. Who've had thought a year and half ago...

jett

D-Member
Magicpaint said:
And what did you predict. It's easy to point and laugh at others, but weren't you one of those that expected it to underperform?

It doesn't help matters that Square-Enix undersipped the game too. It's at 99% sell through every week.

I said it'd get close to 1 million at best. :rock

Mato

MrSardonic said:
considering the massive DSL hardware and software shortages I think they are doing perfectly well.

er wtf? The DSL software and hardware sales are unbelieveable...far beyond the "top end of regular gaming sales" despite 12 months of shortages. It is precisely because DS has become a wider cultural phenomenon in Japan that these production issues have arisen, and precisely because Nintendo has provided software and hardware that is accessible to the mainstream that the DS has taken off so spectacularly. The crazy 100k+ sales practically every week since DSL release testify to that

You didn't read the previous two posts, so you are a bit out of place but it's ok.

It's such a bizarre world when a console is having a costant 120+ weekly sales for so long, yet people is hungry for more. Who've had thought a year and half ago...

If, if (just in case) by any chace your are refering to me, I made it clear that what I meant is that DS has clearly potential for so much more (sales-wise) yet it's being held back by the constant shortages. Not saying it's not doing amazing, just saying it could do a lot more. I don't know who would disagree with that statement.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Mato said:
You didn't read the previous two posts, so you are a bit out of place but it's ok.

i read those posts, it doesn't change what you said. how can you "expect" pokemon to be selling over 260k a week when there are shortages? obviously it would sell more if there was more supply. how can you say nintendo have failed to support their vision, when their vision is precisely why we in the current situation? not even nintendo predicted such sales.

it takes months for a new factory to be built before production can be increased. i don't think nintendo are "waiting" to see if these sales continue, it's pretty clear to anyone with a clue that demand is far outstripping supply before the big games had even hit worldwide, and they will have been doing what they can to get production of hardware and software increased

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Can someone post an updated version of that pokeman games sales chart? It needs updating, as Diamond/Pearl just went up a position.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Mato said:

That would be an utterly idiotic move. How long does one have to wait to see if the trend 'continues'? Their reluctance of increasing production capacity will cost them millions of sales.

Mato

MrSardonic said:
i read those posts, it doesn't change what you said. how can you "expect" pokemon to be selling over 260k a week when there are shortages? obviously it would sell more if there was more supply. how can you say nintendo have failed to support their vision, when their vision is precisely why we in the current situation? not even nintendo predicted such sales.

it takes months for a new factory to be built before production can be increased. i don't think nintendo are "waiting" to see if these sales continue, it's pretty clear to anyone with a clue that demand is far outstripping supply before the big games had even hit worldwide, and they will have been doing what they can to get production of hardware and software increased

A few years back, when Nintendo was talking about expanding that market and reaching to the masses, I personally was getting flashbacks of CocaCola, Windows, the TV, the Internet, you know really casual, mainstream power, not depended on trends and stuff. Yes this was simply the hazy vision a Nintendo fan was getting. In the end I guess I'm just wondering whether they are planning to bring their little, big project all the way to the end (maybe in the near future?), or if they are satisfied with what they have now.

fresquito

Mato said:
If, if (just in case) by any chace your are refering to me, I made it clear that what I meant is that DS has clearly potential for so much more (sales-wise) yet it's being held back by the constant shortages. Not saying it's not doing amazing, just saying it could do a lot more. I don't know who would disagree with that statement.
Not aimed at you, just saying :)

However, I think some people takes this thing quite lightly. Open a new factory, so you can meet demand. It's not that easy. What do you do once the interest drops? close the factory? None opens a factory for one or two years.

KINGMOKU

jett said:
Where are those douches that said FF3DS would reach 1.5-2 million units? :lol
Let me ask you a question, with a dash of civility;

Had there been 1million copies of the game produced, and launched on day one, and a continued supply of the game, how many copies do you think would have been sold up to this date?

The same? More?

Top Bottom