• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9 - 15 Oct

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Oct 2-8

1. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 433793 / 2020153
2. PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo 242856 / NEW
3. PSP Gundam Battle Royale 53369 / NEW
4. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 50968 / 118121
5. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 37678 / 3188394
6. PS2 Minna no Tennis 31819 / 395569
7. NDS Final Fantasy III 26525 / 798450
8. NDS Brain Training 2 26506 / 3293226
9. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 18130 / 3257167
10. PS2 Sangokushi 11 15840 / 50460
11. NDS Cooking Navi! 12672 / 535940
12. NDS Tingle RPG 12203 / 148873
13. PS2 .hack//G.U. Vol.2 12015 / 113171
14. NDS Tamagotchi 2 10846 / 529973
15. NDS Brain Training 10836 / 2785829
16. NDS English Training 10831 / 1357236
17. GBA Rhythm Tengoku 9823 / 182533
18. NDS Mario Kart DS 8172 / 1584998
19. NDS Mario Hoops 3-on-3 7249 / 326120
20. NDS Tetris DS 6956 / 858250
21. 360 Tenchu 360 6412 / NEW
22. PS2 Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkyaku Rouman Tan'enjou! Kyoto Rinne 5572 / 112759
23. PS2 Minna no Golf 4 (BEST) 5406 / 161647
24. NDS Gintama DS: Banji Ousoudou! 4977 / 41860
25. NDS Brain Stress: Head Scan 4942 / 59722
26. 360 Dead Rising 4814 / 27054
27. PSP Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki FC 4712 / 19322
28. PS2 Daito Giken Pachislot Hihouden 4676 / 97004
29. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 4418 / 77750
30. NDS Kawaii Koinu 4136 / NEW

For crap tenchu did alright. Keep on going dead rising.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Will Blue Dragon be on this next week's or the following week's sales chart? (Same question regarding that new training game for the DS.)

Parl

Nintendo said they'd ship 20 million within a 12 month period (I don't know when this period started). That's 385,000 per week on average, but let's say that the holiday weeks add on an extra 10 weeks to that to make a regular week an average of about 323,000 per week. That's simply not enough for worldwide weekly.

However, they did say they were producing 2.2 million per month (up from 2 million) several months ago. So maybe the Japan shortages were to take care of launching DS Lite in NA and Europe and also stockpiling for the holiday (like I said in a previous post).

After the holiday has died down, and obviously the initial surge of the Lite's launch in NA and Europe has died down (although it seems like it gets re-launched every week), we should better supply compared to demand in Japan and the rest of the world.

At 2.2 million units a month, that's 507,000 units per week. 80,000 for NA? 150,000 for Japan? 100,000 for Europe? Not going to be 170,000 units for the other regions. More like 20,000 or something (probably less).

For sales next year, are Nintendo expecting around 115,000 per week in NA, 220,000 for Japan and 145,000 in Europe and then about 30,000 for other regions (or whatever it sells in other regions)?

That'd be over 26 million units sold per year, easily outselling PS2. If this is the case, then Wii have a bright future.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Will Blue Dragon be on this next week's or the following week's sales chart? (Same question regarding that new training game for the DS.)

uh.. isn't the release for Blue Dragon in December?

EDIT: confirmed my suspicion - it's out december 7

Barf_the_Mog

ethelred said:
He read half of the title. Isn't that enough? What more can you expect of GAF?

Or maybe I read the title correctly?

Blue Dragon 360 ltd bundle sells out in 5 mins! - jonnyram

Don't be a dick, I made a little mistake.

Rock_Man

So why do Nintendo stockpile units for the holiday? If they can sell a DS as soon as it's produced, then why not? Stockpiling is usually something you avoid and everyone with knowledge in logistics know how important it is to get rid of the stock as fast as possible.

I know we've seen spikes in hardware sales for big games like New SMB and Pokemon and people have been saying that Nintendo stockpiled the weeks prior to to those releases. I would rather say that these spikes can be achieved thanks to smaller shipments to US/Europe those particular weeks.

Some of you say that it would be better for Nintendo to sell 2 million in November and 4 million in December than 3 million each month. I haven't heard a good reason for that yet. Can someone explain?

Rock_Man said:
So why do Nintendo stockpile units for the holiday? If they can sell a DS as soon as it's produced, then why not? Stockpiling is usually something you avoid and everyone with knowledge in logistics know how important it is to get rid of the stock as fast as possible.

I know we've seen spikes in hardware sales for big games like New SMB and Pokemon and people have been saying that Nintendo stockpiled the weeks prior to to those releases. I would rather say that these spikes can be achieved thanks to smaller shipment to US/Europe those particular weeks.

Some of you say that it would be better for Nintendo to sell 2 million in November and 4 million in December than 3 million each month. I haven't heard a good reason for that yet. Can someone explain?

Hardware drives software and vice-versa. If Nintendo cannot get a good stockpile of units this holiday season, software sales will take a hit as well, particularly for a few games that would need or want the holiday season to drive sales.

ethelred

Rock_Man said:

I know we've seen spikes in hardware sales for big games like New SMB and Pokemon and people have been saying that Nintendo stockpiled the weeks prior to to those releases. I would rather say that these spikes can be achieved thanks to smaller shipment to US/Europe those particular weeks.

Maintaining a market presence is a necessity during the high-sales holiday period. It's not just a matter of hardware... software figures into the picture, too. The sales of everything are higher during that period of time. Even in Japan, people will be buying games and systems during the holiday at a much higher rate than they would throughout the rest of the year, and a severely constrained hardware presence would have a brutal effect on Nintendo's ability to move software as well.

In a week where 600,000 units of hardware are being sold, just imagine what that does to the games. Everything gets a boost. A huge boost. Everything.

Aside from that... you really just absolutely have to have a presence during that period of time. You just have to. It's the highest sales period, and if you're not able to come closer to meeting the vastly increased demand, it hurts you -- some of those are sales you won't just get back as soon as stock is replenished. It's a way of maintaining market strength -- in a period of time where people are going to be buying something, you want them buying what you're selling... because otherwise, they'll be buying what the other guy's selling. ;)

Rock_Man

You say it lead to higher software sales? If they can sell a DS to a specific person in November, why wouldn't that person want to buy games in December (in addition to the games he/she bought in November).

I can understand the strategy from a competition view though.

ethelred

Rock_Man said:
You say it lead to higher software sales? If they can sell a DS to a specific person in November, why wouldn't that person want to buy games in December (in addition to the games he/she bought in November).

Because the person buying it in November isn't necessarily the same person that would like to buy it in December.

Bear in mind the reason sales are so high around the holidays: gift giving. If you want to give a system and some games to someone as a gift... you're probably not going to give them any games if it's impossible to give out the system itself. Or if you get a system as a gift, you're going to be inclined to go get a bunch of games -- more than you'd likely be inclined to get if you bought the system yourself.

Rock_Man

That makes some sense, at least in the rest of the world where not everyone owns a DS already. I hope these reasons are big enough to stockpile. Nintendo should know. It would be very sad if we see japanese weekly sales of around 200k in December.

I've felt stress since January because of these shortages! :lol

Rock_Man said:
Do you think I take video game sales too seriously?

The fact that youre asking that question to someone else who also posts in a 'game centric' message board infamous for scrutinizing 'sales related' data should clue you in. :p

Barf_the_Mog

Moor-Angol said:
what a big difference between Famitsu and MC data...

I could be wrong but I've always assumed that Famitsu data was more accurate, but Media Create was much faster - therefore our discussions are based on the most recent data.

P90

Moor-Angol said:
what a big difference between Famitsu and MC data...

This could get somebody banned if they slip...

I'll just say there are a number of proposed solutions to reconcile the differences.

Barf_the_Mog said:
I could be wrong but I've always assumed that Famitsu data was more accurate, but Media Create was much faster - therefore our discussions are based on the most recent data.

i's not my fault if Famitsu data are 15 days ago and MC are 7 days ago... :)
i just said that cause usually Famitsu data are lower than MC (look at LTD for nSMB, AC or Brain Training or Rhythm Tengoku GBA).
I am always interested in Famitsu data cause they can track games longer than MC.
Anyway, it was just curiosity :)

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:
i's not my fault if Famitsu data are 15 days ago and MC are 7 days ago... :)
i just said that cause usually Famitsu data are lower than MC (look at LTD for nSMB, AC or Brain Training or Rhythm Tengoku GBA).
I am always interested in Famitsu data cause they can track games longer than MC.Anyway, it was just curiosity :)

Same with me. I also track Famitsu data instead of M-create, for exactly the same reason (Top 30 instead of Top 10).
I used to track Dengeki, since they have Top 50 (better than Famitsu's Top 30). However, since they stop releasing the Top 50 sales figure (and change it into something like M-create's format, in which only Top 10 games sales are shown), I switched to Famitsu.

Moor-Angol, do you archive the old Famitsu's html file (in Japanese language) ? If yes, can you please e-mail it to me ? I have been absent from the internet for about 2-3 years, so I have a whole lot missing data I need to gather around.

u_neek

apujanata said:
I have been absent from the internet for about 2-3 years, so I have a whole lot missing data I need to gather around.
I read that as 2-3 days and went oh god!
I then realised it said 2-3 years and went OH MY GOD!

apujanata

elostyle said:
Wow, tell me how that feels.

I should have been more accurate in my statement. I am away from the GAF sales related conversation (and also Famitsu, M-create and Dengeki), which I used to keep up every week, for the last 2 - 3 years. I became active again starting from around May 2006. During that time, I still check my yahoo e-mail every month or so.

The reason is very simple : Having a full time work as IT sales, with your own family (wife, 2 kids) mean you have to choose between keeping track of sales or playing game. I choose to play game, instead of keeping track of game sales. Since May, I have more free time, so I can use that additional free time (during work, mostly) to keep track of game sales.

My feeling about those absence : Bad at first, but after a few weeks, I don't have any withdrawal issues. But once you get back to it, it will be harder to stay away from it again.

Enough of this OT topic. Any more personal question will be ignored by me :).

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Is "Sangokushi" the same as "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms"?

If so, then you are correct.

The Romance of Three Kingdom based game from KOEI that I know are :
- RoTK series (war and resource management games). (Sangokushi)
- DT series (war and tactics SRPG) (Sangokushi Senki)
- DW series (beat-them-up-a-ton with RPG element) (Sangoku Musou)

"San go ku" is "3 kingdom", right ?

I remember the first Sangokushi game (or RoTK) game I play was on PC (1-3). The first RoTK game on console I play was either 4 or 5 (on PS1). Since I am a strategy fan, I prefer RoTK compared to DW (Dynasty Warrior). The reason I purchase PS2 is to play Sangokushi Senki (IIRC) or Dynasty Tactics (DT). I have played DT1 and DT2. My son played those DW 3, 4 and 5 games.

donny2112

Just because I felt like it ... :p

Here's a graph showing US and Japan, DS and PSP, average weekly sales since November 2004 in NPD format. AKA, it follows a 4-4-5 week format for months.

for_kicks.png

I find it interesting that for the DS in June, when the DS Lite was launched in the U.S. and it had a massive month and, at the same time, Japan was having a "down" month, that Japan average weekly sales still beat out U.S. average weekly sales.

Also, maybe someone can figure out the amplitude and frequency of that DS sales pattern in Japan and figure out something. :lol

For totals, I have about 17.7 million DS and 9.2 million PSP.

Rock_Man

Oct 16 - 22 (Famitsu)

1 NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
2 PS2 Captain Tsubasa
3 NDS Gekitou! Custom Robo

4 GBA Final Fantasy V Advance
5 PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo
6 NDS New SMB
7 NDS More Brain Age
8 NDS Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS
9 PS2 Minna no Tennis
10 NDS Animal Crossing Wild World

bold = new

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
Just because I felt like it ... :p

Here's a graph showing US and Japan, DS and PSP, average weekly sales since November 2004 in NPD format. AKA, it follows a 4-4-5 week format for months.

for_kicks.png

I find it interesting that for the DS in June, when the DS Lite was launched in the U.S. and it had a massive month and, at the same time, Japan was having a "down" month, that Japan average weekly sales still beat out U.S. average weekly sales.

Also, maybe someone can figure out the amplitude and frequency of that DS sales pattern in Japan and figure out something. :lol

For totals, I have about 17.7 million DS and 9.2 million PSP.

That graph is awesome! More of those plz.

Rlan

How the hell does Animal Crossing keep bouncing back, seriously?

Is the internet community still pretty popular, in Japan and everywhere else?

Rlan said:

Tom Nook threatens to break people's legs if they don't buy his game.

Jiggy

Rlan said:

Can't be that last part, since as far as I know Japanese ACWW games can only go online with other Japanese ACWWs...

Rock_Man said:
Oct 16 - 22 (Famitsu)

1 NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
2 PS2 Captain Tsubasa
3 NDS Gekitou! Custom Robo

4 GBA Final Fantasy V Advance
5 PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo
6 NDS New SMB
7 NDS More Brain Age
8 NDS Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS
9 PS2 Minna no Tennis
10 NDS Animal Crossing Wild World