• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

Eteric Rice

Kyoufu said:
Your shitty joke is about 4 pages late :/

:(

1191005564699.gif

Frillen

Roat said:
It doesn't stop people from busting out the ancient 'It had a nice run. LOL' every single week

It should be bannable to say it IMO, consider that it's on par annoying wise as "Sell your [insert system here], it's all over!" phrase.

Fady K

Jonny, dont be hatin on the PS3 man :( No one can predict any market these days. How about we just talk about what actually happens rather than what we think will happen? Who the hell would have believed that there will be no Wii games in the top 10 which is lead by a 360 game? Or that the PSP is, even at this point, selling almost twice as many DS lites? People would have laughed their asses off back then. Heck, even Pachter was so sure - like the whole world probably - that the PS3 was going to beat the 360 back in July.
God knows what'll happen. But seriously LOL at all the people here who talk as if they know the market inside out - in my opinion, we dont know shit. Dont be pachters people, dont be pachters.

Very pleasing sales this week. Halo 3 earned a good spot. MGS Portable Ops + sold well, and im very pleased with Crisis Cores performance. Excellent all round. Where the fudge is Mario Strikers Charged?

Doc Evils

Fady K said:
Jonny, dont be hatin on the PS3 man :( No one can predict any market these days. How about we just talk about what actually happens rather than what we think will happen? Who the hell would have believed that there will be no Wii games in the top 10 which is lead by a 360 game? Or that the PSP is, even at this point, selling almost twice as many DS lites? People would have laughed their asses off back then. Heck, even Pachter was so sure - like the whole world probably - that the PS3 was going to beat the 360 back in July.
God knows what'll happen. But seriously LOL at all the people here who talk as if they know the market inside out - in my opinion, we dont know shit. Dont be pachters people, dont be pachters.

Very pleasing sales this week. Halo 3 earned a good spot. MGS Portable Ops + sold well, and im very pleased with Crisis Cores performance. Excellent all round. Where the fudge is Mario Strikers Charged?

Pretty much. The Vg market is pretty unpredictable.

gregor7777 said:
That's the biggest surprise...
Not really, the opening week for the 360 version was 45.497.

Fady K said:

Well the PS3 is beating the 360 in Japan. Or are you referring to worldwide sales?

And the software line-up for PS3 in Japan up until christmas is what is happening right now and it looks rather poor. A lot of the big guns are western oriented (Uncharted, HS, Lair etc.). Sony missed the boat on that one.

Will that affect future sales in Japan? Most likely. You could argue against that of course, this is what a message board is all about.

Strikers is at No. 15, it was posted earlier in this thread.

Fady K said:

Actually the market is pretty predictable, once there's a trend, it's very hard to buck unless something abnormal happens (breakout hits, major drop in third party support). One of the slowest week of the year where the PSP just launched recently and a major release for the 360 does not buck the trend, it's a minor bump.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice showing for Halo... if only the DS game came to fruition, that would've been a really big hit in Japan!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I was predicting in the Halo 3 thread that it would crack the top ten, but #1? Call me Nostradamus, baby!
icalledit.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8014896&postcount=255
USF better watch the fuck out... :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8059484&postcount=116
It's probably going to drop off the charts next week, but it's a victory nontheless...
djtiesto said:
Nice showing for Halo... if only the DS game came to fruition, that would've been a really big hit in Japan!
Bungie's next project,
provided that they aren't leaving in droves...

eclipze

Didn't Blue Dragon (80k) launch during the holiday season? I would say 59k first week is pretty solid for a very western game considering were still over a month away from the holiday rush.

Jonnyram

Fady K said:
Jonny, dont be hatin on the PS3 man :( No one can predict any market these days.
Well, this is how I see it... the PS3 is a slick piece of kit. In terms of hardware, it beats the competition hands down. I have also grown to love the UI, the silent running, and a bunch of other cool features like the animated clips you can make yourself. However, in terms of games, it's severely lacking, and this year's holiday lineup is truly abysmal. I'm being generous by including October and November in that list. If you compare December only, the PS3 looks to be in a steaming pile of trouble.

Odysseus said:
how many times in history has an xbox/xbox 360 game topped the japanese charts for a week? anyone know?

i can only think of a handful of possible games, namely the team ninja games, but i don't know what they were up against.
I don't have a comprehensive easy way to check that, so I'm just checking a few weeks where such a thing sounds possible...
Xbox launch week, DOA3 was on top.
Halo didn't come out for a couple more months, but it didn't hit #1.
DOAXBV didn't, but was a pretty close 2nd.
Ninja Gaiden didn't.
X360 launch week no; it was December so the other systems were in heat.
Blue Dragon no, there were PS2/DS games in the hundreds of thousands.

pswii60

Fady K said:

Well said, well said. Your speak is full of truth and win.

BishopLamont said:
Actually the market is pretty predictable, once there's a trend, it's very hard to buck unless something abnormal happens (breakout hits, major drop in third party support). One of the slowest week of the year where the PSP just launched recently and a major release for the 360 does not buck the trend, it's a minor bump.

Few predicted Wii. Few predicted DS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Halo should not be a surprise. The early adopters will buy and then it will fade. Good games are good games.

pswii60

LiquidMetal14 said:
Halo should not be a surprise. The early adopters will buy and then it will fade. Good games are good games.

I think people are just surprised that any 360 game could get to #1 in Japan in any week of the year, no matter how slow. I think some would be less surprised if a new indie Dreamcast shooter got to #1.

pswii60 said:
Well said, well said. Your speak is full of truth and win.

Few predicted Wii. Few predicted DS.

BishopLamont said:

Reading is good for you, ya know?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii Sports at #20, has it ever been this low? How much were Sims predicted to sell? Anyone know?

Frillen said:
Yeah, it's very surprising. Western games usually sell really well in Japan.

/end of Sarcasm/

Why did you predict 110k for Mario Strikers (western game) then? ;)

test_account said:
Wii Sports at #20, has it ever been this low? How much were Sims predicted to sell? Anyone know?

Where did you see the full Top 30? I'#m struggling trying to find it -- it's not in the first post. :/

Frillen

Fady K said:

11. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki
12. [PS2] Phantasy Star Universe: Illuminas no Yabou
13. [PS2] Pachinko Vol 11: Shinseiki Evangelion: Magokoro
14. [WII] Mario Party 8
15. [WII] Super Mario Strikers
16. [NDS] Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin DS
17. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary
18. [NDS] Mario Kart DS
19. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
20. [WII] Wii Sports
21. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
22. [WII] Wii Play
23. [PS3] Agarest Senki
24. [WII] Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage
25. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates
26. [NDS] Brain Age 2
27. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen!
28. [NDS] Animal Crossing DS
29. [PSP] Wangan Midnight Portable
30. [WII] MySims

I didn't realize the hypetrain was nearly as big in Japan. It would be great if it actually stuck around for another week just to stir things up.

Jonnyram said:
01./--. [360] Halo 3 - 59,000 / NEW
02./03. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki - 55,000 / 440,000
03./01. [PSP] Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII - 54,000 / 649,000
04./--. [DS] Tamagotchi Petit Petit Omisecchi Minasankyu! - 54,000 / NEW
05./04. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami - 46,000 / 389,000
06./--. [PS2] Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd - 31,000 / NEW
07./--. [DS] English Test 2 - 28,000 / NEW
08./--. [PSP] Yugioh Duel Monsters GX - 28,000 / NEW
09./--. [PS3] Oblivion - 27,000 / NEW
10./02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ - 25,000 / 119,000

archive.gif

Media Create Sales 2006/9/25 - 10/1
Media Create Sales 7/23 - 7/29
Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5
Media Create Sales 8/6 - 8/12
Media Create Sales 8/13 - 8/19
Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26
Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2
Media Create Sales 9/3 - 9/9
Media Create Sales 9/10 - 9/16
Media Create Sales 9/17 - 9/23

notes.gif

Software numbers are typically posted on Wednesday nights.
Hardware numbers are typically posted Thursday nights at about 9:20 PM Eastern.

Thanks to Cheesemeister for the template.

I think it outsold halo 2 in itsw first week. Oblivion ps3 is weak 360 version did what 45k?

Lightning

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Ayup, looks like Halo 2 only did about 30K its first week, too. So this is a much better start than either of the previous games.
Next weeks sales should be interesting. With Halo 3 reportedly being sold out and the Elite releasing next week, the 360 could see a boost in hardware next week.

This is way out there, but with Wii sales being as they are, couldn't Nintendo be looking into a price drop?

They're already making money on the hardware, they'd just be making...less money.

I mean, we've all been saying it's a 'slow period', but really, the 360 and PSP are on software-inspired upticks, the PS3 is selling basically the same as pre-Minna No Golf levels, and the DS has pretty much hit saturation.

If Nintendo is intent on setting records this holiday, $30-$50 off would be a good start.

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ayup, looks like Halo 2 only did about 30K its first week, too. So this is a much better start than either of the previous games.
Well, shouldn't this have been obvious? 360 is doing MUCH better than its predecessor, which of course isn't saying much, but we're only speaking relatively here anyway.

360 may reach 2 million. It depends on how poorly PS3 does; Wii, not so much. I personally think it's most likely to fall short, but it should be able to reach over 1.5 million by the end of 2010.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is way out there, but with Wii sales being as they are, couldn't Nintendo be looking into a price drop?

They're already making money on the hardware, they'd just be making...less money.
Heh. You answered your own question, effectively. I know there's more at play like driving install base in order to make money on the much more profitable software business, but look at DS. They've been biding their time there.

DS should be getting a price drop in each region next year, methinks.

Lucky

I don't know what the hell is going on here but this gif expresses my feelings in video form. Wii at a stand still, others catching up. I don't even want to see the hardware numbers. I wish I had never come into these threads all those months ago.

Parl said:
Well, shouldn't this have been obvious? 360 is doing MUCH better than its predecessor, which of course isn't saying much, but we're only speaking relatively here anyway.
I'd imagine the userbase at launches of Halo 2 and Halo 3 are pretty similar.

*checks*
Yeah, by Famitsu's reckoning they're both almost spot-on at 450K. But yeah, when Halo 2 launched Xbox had already been dragging along with sub-500 weeks for half a year, so it was already in rigor mortis or something.

Aeris130

Lucky said:
I don't know what the hell is going on here but this gif expresses my feelings in video form. Wii at a stand still, others catching up. I don't even want to see the hardware numbers. I wish I had never come into these threads all those months ago.

"Catching up" as in, "getting left behind at a slower pace"?

Top Bottom