• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wii down again from last week. PS3 up. PSP Slim still selling above DSL for two weeks straight. Next week they should be about even.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You people always downplay the fact that the reason the PS3 is not selling is because we have been in a transitional phase for a while so people were ready to buy a cheaper, transitional console, rather than a next-gen one (oh yeah I went there). Japanese gamers are going to buy their Monster Hunter 3, DMC4, RE5, FFXIII, etc. The PS3 is still an empty console.

Outside of Japan the same will happen, except replace PS3 by 360 (already happening)+some PS3 too.

reilo

Tmac said:
Anyone know if the wii is still sold out in japan?

Nope. J-Gaffers have been saying it's been readily available across all of Japan for a few weeks now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ether_Snake said:
You people always downplay the fact that the reason the PS3 is not selling is because we have been in a transitional phase for a while so people were ready to buy a cheaper, transitional console, rather than a next-gen one (oh yeah I went there). Japanese gamers are going to buy their Monster Hunter 3, DMC4, RE5, FFXIII, etc.

Annnnnd we're off

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
reilo said:
Wii down again from last week. PS3 up. PSP Slim still selling above DSL for two weeks straight. Next week they should be about even.
PSP will undoubtedly stabilize lower than that so the DS will take back to top spot next week so it might be closer next week depending on how much of a boost the DS gets and how much the PSP drops, I doubt that Wii and PS3 will be even next week though.

reilo

jj984jj said:
PSP will undoubtedly stabilize lower than that so the DS will take back to top spot next week, I doubt that Wii and PS3 will be even next week though.

Oh I did not mean that the Wii and PS3 will be even. I meant that DSL and PSP should be about even.

Joe Molotov

Media Create threads are pretty calm when Nintendo sales aren't high enough for OMGWTFBBQs, and Sony sales aren't high enough for "PS3 is making a comeback!"

ccbfan

Anyone feel that the PS2 is going to be the everlasting system.

First there's the fact that its so easy to interchange Wii/PSP/PS2 then there's the fact that the PS2 is still the best system at selling 3rd party games.

sphinx

the piano man
Nintendo overestimated the power of Wii sports. They thought the hype and excitment for the wii and wii sports would directly connect with the holiday season but no... The Japanese really felt like there was a drought this last 2 months and Mario Strikers obviously didn't cut it.

Bad planning from Nintendo, now they pay.

Wii comparisons: At week 44, Wii is where GCN was at 172.5 weeks (December 29, 2004), where GBA was at 38.0 weeks (December 9, 2001), where DS was at 50.6 weeks (November 17, 2005), where PS2 was at 55.5 weeks (March 21, 2001), and where PSP was at 82.3 weeks (July 4, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At week 47, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.3 weeks (April 4, 2000), where PSP was at 18.1 weeks (April 10, 2005), where GCN was at 21.9 weeks (February 9, 2002), and where Wii was at 6.6 weeks (January 11, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 41.5 / 58.5 bring the total shares to 75.3 / 24.7, back where things were early December 2006. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 438.4 weeks (February 25, 2016). If DS stopped selling, PSP would catch up in 127.4 weeks (March 11, 2010).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 35.2 / 64.8, bringing the total shares to 24.4 / 75.6. If Wii stopped selling, PS3 would catch up in 186.5 weeks (April 28, 2011).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii doesn't catch up to PSP.

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS and PS2 meet in 20.9 weeks (February 23, 2008) at ~21.0 million apiece.

barchartweekly.php

dyls

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At week 44, Wii is where GCN was at 172.5 weeks (December 29, 2004), where GBA was at 38.0 weeks (December 9, 2001), where DS was at 50.6 weeks (November 17, 2005), where PS2 was at 55.5 weeks (March 21, 2001), and where PSP was at 82.3 weeks (July 4, 2006).

It's surprising that the Wii doesn't seem to be giving up much ground to the PS2. How much has that number changed since the Wii started slowing down?

felipeko

sphinx said:
Nintendo overestimated the power of Wii sports. They thought the hype and excitment for the wii and wii sports would directly connect with the holiday season but no... The Japanese really felt like there was a drought this last 2 months and Mario Strikers obviously didn't cut it.

Bad planning from Nintendo, now they pay.
Not being able to satisfy WW demand ATM (don't even think about the holidays), i don't think they're worried...

Gaborn

JoshuaJSlone - Is there any reason you haven't started doing things like "if PSP stopped selling Wii would catch up in..."?

Gaborn

Eteric Rice said:
Because it would take a millenia? :lol

You've seen the "if DS stopped selling, PSP would catch up in..." rate, not to mention "at the current rate, PSP will outsell the DS" rate, right?:lol

KINGMOKU

Now the wait begins untill the Wii shoots through the roof again. Surprising that it is still tracking better then the PS2 did in similar lifespan.

I am glad the PSP is selling well. If the software can keep selling, it will make for good competition in Japan, and keep Nintendo on thier toes.

PS3 seems to have evened off, and it seems people are waiting for software, and an even lower pricetag.

Thsi generation is going to be pretty interesting to see in about two years, in how everything eventaully shakes out.

dyls said:
It's surprising that the Wii doesn't seem to be giving up much ground to the PS2. How much has that number changed since the Wii started slowing down?
If we consider the recent slowdown to begin when it went under 50K... then in the last 6 weeks Wii has gained 4.3 "PS2 weeks", selling what PS2 did from mid-February 2001 through mid-March 2001.
Gaborn said:
JoshuaJSlone - Is there any reason you haven't started doing things like "if PSP stopped selling Wii would catch up in..."?
It was requested that I add to my regular weekly stuff how long it would take for Wii to catch up to PSP, but since they're not such direct competitors as DS/PSP or PS3/Wii, I left out the other stuff those comparisons have. Especially since the "if X stopped selling" was originally mostly a silly stat to illustrate how big a lead DS was getting on PSP, it doesn't seem as relevant. However, that information is all there at the other end of the link, since I made it by taking one of the other comparisons and just switching which systems were used. This week if PSP stopped selling and Wii continued at its current rate, it would catch up in 115.1 weeks (December 14, 2009).

Sharp

After looking at that image, I want to buy the game, and I don't like FF7 all that much. I don't even own a PSP.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Cheesemeister - stop hanging out in Asobit city and drop us a PM so we can hook up in aki or something! ;)

You people always downplay the fact that the reason the PS3 is not selling is because we have been in a transitional phase for a while so people were ready to buy a cheaper, transitional console, rather than a next-gen one (oh yeah I went there).

the one thing that`ll be interesting to see is how they turn it around. PS3 seems to be being viewed as a "dog product" - and it seems pretty rare fot that to get turned around in Japan.

I personally expect a definite up take once we get to the "real" games, but we shall see just how much things move. I`m pretty sure the price is still a sticking point here - i just wonder how much the size is an issue? I`ve never bought into the whole size thing to be honest, but ...

JoshuaJSlone said:
If we consider the recent slowdown to begin when it went under 50K... then in the last 6 weeks Wii has gained 4.3 "PS2 weeks", selling what PS2 did from mid-February 2001 through mid-March 2001.

It was requested that I add to my regular weekly stuff how long it would take for Wii to catch up to PSP, but since they're not such direct competitors as DS/PSP or PS3/Wii, I left out the other stuff those comparisons have. Especially since the "if X stopped selling" was originally mostly a silly stat to illustrate how big a lead DS was getting on PSP, it doesn't seem as relevant. However, that information is all there at the other end of the link, since I made it by taking one of the other comparisons and just switching which systems were used. This week if PSP stopped selling and Wii continued at its current rate, it would catch up in 115.1 weeks (December 14, 2009).
If it's not much trouble, how about adding what percentage the console is at? Eg. At week 44, Wii is at 70% of GCN LTD.

Wii continues to drop in sales. This is like the 5th or 6th straight week sales for Wii has dropped. When will it bottom out? I am concerned actually. Wii needs WiiFit ASAP

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
I personally expect a definite up take once we get to the "real" games, but we shall see just how much things move. I`m pretty sure the price is still a sticking point here - i just wonder how much the size is an issue? I`ve never bought into the whole size thing to be honest, but ...

I didn't believe in the size issue until the PSP Lite came out. It's barely any thinner!! Yet somehow it was enough for Japanese people to buy it because it was now small enough for them :\

DCharlie said:
Cheesemeister - stop hanging out in Asobit city and drop us a PM so we can hook up in aki or something! ;)

the one thing that`ll be interesting to see is how they turn it around. PS3 seems to be being viewed as a "dog product" - and it seems pretty rare fot that to get turned around in Japan.

Japanese won't buy products if it doesn't Feng Shui with their house. And usually big things don't work out well in Japanese homes.

acklame

Busaiku said:
PSP - 102,809
DSL - 72,895
Wii - 24,143
PS3 - 13,105
PS2 - 12,980
Xbox360 - 5,215
GBM - 229
GC - 73
GBASP - 49
GBA - 41
DS - 30
nice show for psp. ps3 surprisingly stable.

reilo

perfectchaos007 said:
Wii continues to drop in sales. This is like the 5th or 6th straight week sales for Wii has dropped. When will it bottom out? I am concerned actually. Wii needs WiiFit ASAP

Concerned? Are you? Are you really?

Hmmm?

Hmmm?

reilo said:
Concerned? Are you? Are you really?

Hmmm?

Hmmm?

Yeah I'm concerned. Nintendo could let the Wii slip away if they don't get their act together. You know the saying that if you see your opponent is weak then knock him out quickly so he won't have any shot of gaining momentum? Nintendo should currently be delivering their Knock Out punches right now since the PS3 is laying on the floor in a body cast trying to stand up with its crutches. But I don't see Nintendo trying to give the knock out punches. They are letting the Wii kinda do its own thing. And now sales for Wii are where the PS3's were at the beginning of the year. The same territory where we were calling the PS3 down and out and a failure. Now the Wii has those sales numbers. I'm affraid Nintendo is being to generous to the injured PS3. Once the PS3 gets out of its body cast, it will toss the crutches like Forest gump and Run like the Wiind.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah I'm concerned. Nintendo could let the Wii slip away if they don't get their act together. You know the saying that if you see your opponent is weak then knock him out quickly so he won't have any shot of gaining momentum? Nintendo should currently be delivering their Knock Out punches right now since the PS3 is laying on the floor in a body cast trying to stand up with its crutches. But I don't see Nintendo trying to give the knock out punches. They are letting the Wii kinda do its own thing. And now sales for Wii are where the PS3's were at the beginning of the year. The same territory where we were calling the PS3 down and out and a failure. Now the Wii has those sales numbers. I'm affraid Nintendo is being to generous to the injured PS3. Once the PS3 gets out of its body cast, it will toss the crutches like Forest gump and Run like the Wiind.

I'd agree with you if Nintendo didn't have Galaxy, Brawl, and Wii Fit coming before the end of the year. Seems like a knock out attempt if I've ever seen one.

I agree that they should have had a Wii Sports sequel or Wii Music or something to keep momentum, but I don't think this one month downturn is going to have a real long term effect given Nintendo's holiday lineup.

schuelma said:
I'd agree with you if Nintendo didn't have Galaxy, Brawl, and Wii Fit coming before the end of the year. Seems like a knock out attempt if I've ever seen one.

I agree that they should have had a Wii Sports sequel or Wii Music or something to keep momentum, but I don't think this one month downturn is going to have a real long term effect given Nintendo's holiday lineup.

Well in America we got Metroid to fill the gaps. Japan had nothing. I think thats a big reason why Wii sales have not slipped in America like they have in Japan. But hey I'm not complaining. Its good to be on the side that gets the gap filler for once. Usually Japan gets the good gap fillers while Americans twidle their thumbs.

Top Bottom