• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
perfectchaos007 said:
Well in America we got Metroid to fill the gaps. Japan had nothing. I think thats a big reason why Wii sales have not slipped in America like they have in Japan. But hey I'm not complaining. Its good to be on the side that gets the gap filler for once. Usually Japan gets the good gap fillers while Americans twidle their thumbs.

I honestly don't think Metroid had any significant effect on Wii hardware sales. N.A simply isn't sick of Wii Sports yet- its still selling systems.

ccbfan

perfectchaos007 said:
Well in America we got Metroid to fill the gaps. Japan had nothing. I think thats a big reason why Wii sales have not slipped in America like they have in Japan. But hey I'm not complaining. Its good to be on the side that gets the gap filler for once. Usually Japan gets the good gap fillers while Americans twidle their thumbs.

I think Nintendo expected Striker to help fill the gap too. Considering what it sold on a dead system, Nintendo probably expected it to gain 200-300k sales on the most popular console in Japan right now. Plus the fact that there is 0 home console competition in Japan right now probably relaxes Nintendo a bit but if they take too much for granted there might not be a home console industry in Japan to work with. Those little guys are really starting to take over. I mean just look at Square-enix announcements the last year. They basically gave a FU to home consoles, no FFXIII news, mini-games for Wii. What does DS and PSP get? Only DQIX, new kingdom hearts, Final Fantasy discordia, full remakes of classic DQs and FFs. I think we see where SE is putting most of there eggs and frequently in Japan where SE goes the rest of the third party goes.

Lobster

Banned
schuelma said:
I'd agree with you if Nintendo didn't have Galaxy, Brawl, and Wii Fit coming before the end of the year. Seems like a knock out attempt if I've ever seen one.

I agree that they should have had a Wii Sports sequel or Wii Music or something to keep momentum, but I don't think this one month downturn is going to have a real long term effect given Nintendo's holiday lineup.

Wii Fits out this year? When? Omg I didn't even know the end was so close...I thought it was still early..wow.

schuelma

Lobster said:
Wii Fits out this year? When? Omg I didn't even know the end was so close...I thought it was still early..wow.

In Japan

schuelma

Lobster said:
Yeah thats what I meant lol. Wow..whens the release date exactly? That shit is gonna be talked about till the end of 2008...I can just feel it.

No release date yet, but at E3 they said it would be out in 07 for Japan. I imagine the release date will be announced next Wednesday.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
oh lord. its like upside down world..

wait a minute...
mario galaxy..

space...

gravity...

most amazing viral marketing EVER.

Do we have the rankings for 31-50 translated somewhere?

Hardware sales pretty much matching Famitsu in trend. The last 2 week numbers for PSP add up to 380,603 and Sony claimed 500,000 for the two weeks since launch (up to the 4th of October). So that means from 9/30 to 10/04 they must've sold 119,397 units. Of course I know that these numbers are guestimates based on some retailer information but does Sony have a better way? Do they keep track of every PSP sold to a customer?

Next week will be interesting. If Sony's numbers are correct we should see quite a bigger week than this for PSP hardware since the weekend is yet to come. I somewhat doubt that though. That would mean that mc either heavily undertracked the PSP or that Sony was a bit too "optimistic" about their sales.

TwinsDad said:
I have now seen everything.

Halo at #1.

Japan buying a Western RPG.

Media Create the last few weeks has been different and almost surreal.
Oblivion was released earlier on 360 and had a bigger opening week (45.497).

Ether_Snake said:
Really suprised by the 360's sales. I was expecting around 20 to 30,000 like when Blue Dragon was released. I guess anyone who wanted to buy it already had a 360.

PS3 will pick up when it drops in price and when the big games are released (GT5P, DMC4, MGS4, RE5, FFXIII, etc.). It will be a long and slow rise until it is fully in place. I am still confident it will become the #1 home console in japan by the time RE5 is out.
PS3 already had a price drop prior to it's launch (20 gig). I think price is less an issue in Japan as it may be in NA. Except for MnG Sony had nothing big in the pipeline for japanese tastes and that doesn't really change for the holidays. Right now the Nr. 2 Sony game on PS3 is Resistance.

As for PS3 becoming Nr. 1, that would be a long, long way. It must outsell Wii constantly by a high margin and since I don't think Wii sales will stay relatively flat (still sells double the amount of PS3) I don't see that happening.

I think Sony does have a chance of becoming the Nr. 2 console worldwide, with the imminent release of the 40 gig and the rumored PES bundle they will sell well and better than 360 in Europe come christmas. Europe and Japan combined can give it that edge over 360's good performance in NA.

reilo said:
Wii down again from last week. PS3 up. PSP Slim still selling above DSL for two weeks straight. Next week they should be about even.
:lol PS3 has momentum.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Phife Dawg said:
That would mean that mc either heavily undertracked the PSP or that Sony was a bit too "optimistic" about their sales.
Famitsu tracked PSP 30% higher this week then MC, so someone is either under or over tracking here :p

ethelred

Phife Dawg said:
Oblivion was released earlier on 360 and had a bigger opening week (45.497).

You have to forgive them. Most of our special friends this week haven't set foot in a Media Create thread in over two years, if ever.

Busaiku said:
PSP - 102,809
DSL - 72,895
Wii - 24,143
PS3 - 13,105
PS2 - 12,980
Xbox360 - 5,215
GBM - 229
GC - 73
GBASP - 49
GBA - 41
DS - 30

I said that PSP would have sold between 100 and 130k. I was right (2). Next week DS > PSP.

sphinx said:
Nintendo overestimated the power of Wii sports. They thought the hype and excitment for the wii and wii sports would directly connect with the holiday season but no... The Japanese really felt like there was a drought this last 2 months and Mario Strikers obviously didn't cut it.

Bad planning from Nintendo, now they pay.

Well, this is the 4th week where Wiî's sales are slow. What about the 5 months in 2005 where DS ~20-30k and PSP > DS ? Nintendo should have committed suicide.

Jokeropia

Ether_Snake said:
PS3 will pick up when it drops in price and when the big games are released (GT5P, DMC4, MGS4, RE5, FFXIII, etc.). It will be a long and slow rise until it is fully in place. I am still confident it will become the #1 home console in japan by the time RE5 is out.
:lol

You overestimate those games, or alternatively underestimate the Gundam, Dynasty Warriors and Minna no Golf franchises. (All of which easily are as big as the ones above but still failed to cause a lasting impact.)
Ether_Snake said:
Outside of Japan the same will happen, except replace PS3 by 360 (already happening)+some PS3 too.
What? 360 sales have increased with the release of Halo, but Wii sales (unlike PS3 sales) have not decreased.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I said that PSP would have sold between 100 and 130k. I was right (2). Next week DS > PSP.

Well, this is the 4th week where Wiî's sales are slow. What about the 5 months in 2005 where DS ~20-30k and PSP > DS ? Nintendo should have committed suicide.

I reckon PSP will be around 50-60k next week. Wii+DS > PSP+Ps3+Ps2

Fafalada said:
Famitsu tracked PSP 30% higher this week then MC, so someone is either under or over tracking here :p
True, that's why next weeks numbers will be so interesting.

ethelred said:
You have to forgive them. Most of our special friends this week haven't set foot in a Media Create thread in over two years, if ever.
True as well :lol .

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Can someone translate the rest of the Top 50?
That would be very much appreciated.

Grampasso

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
[...]

Actually DS hit even 15k in that period, so we could say that scenario was much much worse than this since installed user base was more restricted than Wii one at this point.
IMHO anyone thinking the Wii will "lose" terrain in the next months with its software releases is just fooling himself. There's no question about the Wii gaining momentum.

Lobster

Banned
I was going to do a babel fish translation but it resulted in stuff like this....

DS insight (メヂカラ) training which forges the power which you see with practice

DS training of the adult who is poor English it is to obtain more, soaking

Supervision Japanese sensible power official approval association you cannot hear after so long a time in the person
Sensible power training DS of adult

At least I know where Phantom Hourglass is at though :( 36 :(

Lobster

Banned
BTW guys Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 launched and has had 7,023 connections on Thursday(info thanks to Bo130). Its not the sales but it should give us a sign of its popularity.

verplant said:
Thanks! Since the source is OK with posting the charts in other forums I'll take the freedom to do so:

31. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final (Banpresto)
32. [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Capcom)
33. [NDS] More English Training DS (Nintendo)
34. [NDS] Dr. Kawashimas Gehirn-Jogging: Wie fit ist Ihr Gehirn? (Nintendo)
35. [Wii] Sengoku Musou Katana (Koei)
36. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Mitsukete! Keroro Gunsou (Bandai Namco) - NEW
38. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
39. [PS2] Kyou Kara Maou! Shin Ma-Kuni no Kyuujitsu (Bandai Namco) - NEW
40. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom)
41. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 (Sony)
42. [PS2] Kiniro no Corda 2 Anchor (Koei)
43. [NDS] Donkey Kong Jungle Climber (Nintendo)
44. [PS2] Yuukyuu no Sakura (Idea Factory) - NEW
45. [PSP] Fate/Tiger Colosseum (Capcom)
46. [PS3] Bladestorm (Koei)
47. [NDS] English Training DS (Nintendo)
48. [NDS] Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS (Nintendo)
49. [NDS] SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive (Bandai Namco)
50. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2007: Club Championship (Konami)

Jokeropia said:
:lol

You overestimate those games, or alternatively underestimate the Gundam, Dynasty Warriors and Minna no Golf franchises. (All of which easily are as big as the ones above but still failed to cause a lasting impact.)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
That's a load of laughing directed towards your ridiculous claim

Laguna

Banned
Except Final Fantasy last gen each Minna no Golf main entry sold more than any game you listed (considering GT5Prologue has more similaritys to GT4Prologue than GT4s main entry) and even Dynasty Warriors sold out Metal Gear Solid. So Jokeropia is right, Magicpaint.

I am still confident it will become the #1 home console in japan by the time RE5 is out.

Keep your hopes up Ether Snake. That statement was also made for PSP (in its 1st two years) by others.

I was going to post first day numbers but then I saw that you guys are too busy with the usual bullshit, so keep at it. Those really interested about the numbers know where to look for them after all.

Laguna

Banned
First Day Sales:

Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (PS2) : about 110k

Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (Wii) : about 30k

Powerful Pro Major League 2 (PS2, Wii) : about 25k

Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP) : about 50k

ARCHAIC SEALED HEAT (ASH) (DS) : about 40k

Source : http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
First Day Sales:

Hrm, interesting.

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 did 45k first week on Wii for a lifetime 120k.
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 did 240k first week on PS2 for a lifetime 420k.

justjohn said:
psp software sales finally improving

Are you sure?

Crisis Core is still selling, but there's nothing else on the Top50 that would indicate an improvement in PSP software sales; MGS-PO+ is doing ok but on the way out, Yu-Gi-Oh Heart of the Cards Destiny Edition featuring Brown Eyes White Dragon had a mediocre debut, MHP2 has Zelda TP-like legs still...

The fact that there are three PSP games in the top ten is more incidental based on release dates than it is reflective of a trend.

Jokeropia

Ynos Yrros said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
That's a load of laughing directed towards your ridiculous claim
Laugh as you like, it's completely true. Minna no Golf and Dynasty Warriors are both bigger than MGS, GTP, RE and DMC in Japan. (The size of the latter franchises are commonly exaggerated, RE and DMC haven't even reached 500k in quite a while.) If PS3 has a similar effect on FF as it has had on all the other big PS2 franchises so far, even FFXIII will struggle to break a million. (I do think it'll manage however.)

Frillen

Decent start for ASH. Should do at least over 60k first week.

Pretty huge drop-off for the PSP there. Down 174k. The DS should beat the PSP this week and things will be back to normal. I predict the PSP down to sub 60k this week and the DS over 100k 'cause of the two new colors.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Why doesn't the original post show the top 50, show how many games there are per platform in the top 50, and combine the sales of GBA and DS?

:-(

Lobster

Banned
Laguna said:
First Day Sales:

Powerful Pro Major League 2 (PS2, Wii) : about 25k

Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP) : about 50k

Hey thats good. The Wii version of the Dragon Ball Z game looks like its going to outsell its predecessor.

ASH did good, should sell 60k+ first week.

Power Pro sold like shit...And thats combined too..Seems like next week will be shared by Wii, Ps2, PSP and DS.

Overall im pretty happy about those first day sales for DBZ Wii and ASH.

Stumpokapow said:
Hrm, interesting.

Seems like the Ps2 version dropped a little and the Wii version is going to rise a little. It would be great to see the Wii version reach 200k.

For those thinking ASH sold well:
duckroll said:
Unfortunately it seems like this is also going to be one hellavu bomb for Nintendo. Reports from Japan indicate that many stores have starting slashing the price on the first 2 days of release, with the game being available for as low as 3780yen. Apparently the initial shipment is having a really tough time moving and retailers are getting cold feet at the prospect of having a pile of overstock. Oh well. :(

Edit: Sinobi reports about 40k of sales on the first day, which is a mere 30% of the initial shipment. Seems bad. -_-

Umm, doesn't sound like it did good!

Stumpokapow said:
Hrm, interesting.

But expected. Wii has online, which isn't a big selling point in Japan. Other than that I thought it was more of a rooster update with slight changes to the campaign with your results now having an effect on the story. PS2 has bc with the old releases to unlock stuff, which makes the incentive for fans of the series higher.

If advertised right I could see this one selling pretty good in the west with the added online mode.

Frillen

Magicpaint said:
For those thinking ASH sold well:

Umm, doesn't sound like it did good!

That's definitely not good. But if it manages to sell over 60k first week it could venture on to sell at least over 150k.

Kenka

Laguna said:
First Day Sales:

Tss.....I really hoped it would be better. Why a game like Layton climbs to heaven when another great one like ASH sells barely ok ? I am a bit confused

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lobster said:
30% :| Lets hope that becomes 90% by the end of the week.

General rule of thumb:
First day sales * 2 = First week sales * 2 = Lifetime sales.

Obviously handheld games have longer legs and casual games do too, whereas most RPGs have shorter legs, but if you were told a game's first day sales without hearing its title or platform, you could estimate first week by doubling.

It is also going to depend based on how many days of sales are being counted for the first week.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
General rule of thumb:
First day sales * 2 = First week sales * 2 = Lifetime sales.

Obviously handheld games have longer legs and casual games do too, whereas most RPGs have shorter legs, but if you were told a game's first day sales without hearing its title or platform, you could estimate first week by doubling.

It is also going to depend based on how many days of sales are being counted for the first week.

This is not factoring in shipment numbers though. Sell-through percentages are very important. The problem is that over the past two days ASH has been literally raped by retailers. It's an expensive DS game that had over 100k units shipped to stores, and the lack of hype failed to sell even 50% of that initial shipment on the first day. Retailers panicked and slashed the price, devaluing the entire product. Since retailers are taking losses to rid themselves of stock this early, it's highly unlikely they will order more of this product.

Based on a previous report, Nintendo expected to sell about 200k of ASH, so much for that. 2.5 years down the drain for Sakaguchi! :p

Top Bottom