• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I mean, we've all been saying it's a 'slow period', but really, the 360 and PSP are on software-inspired upticks, the PS3 is selling basically the same as pre-Minna No Golf levels, and the DS has pretty much hit saturation.

If Nintendo is intent on setting records this holiday, $30-$50 off would be a good start.

Well you said it yourself, software has helped both the 360 and the PSP during this slow period...to a certain extent, so why should nintendo be thinking of a price drop then? They have three potentially huge titles that'll conicide with the big holiday period and sales will pick up from there.

DS has hit saturation point? Do you know how incredible it is to sell 70+k during this time? What figures do you think the PS2 was pulling during this time of the year?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is way out there, but with Wii sales being as they are, couldn't Nintendo be looking into a price drop?

They're already making money on the hardware, they'd just be making...less money.

I mean, we've all been saying it's a 'slow period', but really, the 360 and PSP are on software-inspired upticks, the PS3 is selling basically the same as pre-Minna No Golf levels, and the DS has pretty much hit saturation.

If Nintendo is intent on setting records this holiday, $30-$50 off would be a good start.
Geez it's just a couple of weeks of relatively slow sales. Nintendo should think about dropping the price if their holiday titles fail to attract a lot of customers.

Bleach went up?

9-15 Oct 2006 --> 8. (PS2, SCE) Bleach Blade Battlers - 25,203
24-30 Sept 2007 --> 06./--. [PS2] Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd - 31,000 / NEW

I wonder whats SCEJ waiting for a PS3 Bleach...

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'd imagine the userbase at launches of Halo 2 and Halo 3 are pretty similar.

*checks*
Yeah, by Famitsu's reckoning they're both almost spot-on at 450K. But yeah, when Halo 2 launched Xbox had already been dragging along with sub-500 weeks for half a year, so it was already in rigor mortis or something.

Well, I don't like to only compare user-bases. I mean, how much would a game sell on NES if it was released now?

Xbox had already sold its systems, but had been discarded by many and their focus was elsewhere, and their Yen was being taken elsewhere. 360 is hitting its stride right now (in its own little world).

Jonnyram said:
Well, this is how I see it... the PS3 is a slick piece of kit. In terms of hardware, it beats the competition hands down. I have also grown to love the UI, the silent running, and a bunch of other cool features like the animated clips you can make yourself. However, in terms of games, it's severely lacking, and this year's holiday lineup is truly abysmal. I'm being generous by including October and November in that list. If you compare December only, the PS3 looks to be in a steaming pile of trouble.

Hmm. I don't know. GT5 Prologue in the middle of the month followed by Devil May Cry 4 and Tekken 6 at the end of the month is the kind of "steaming pile of trouble" a lot of console makers would probably like to have...

Magicpaint said:
Well you said it yourself, software has helped both the 360 and the PSP during this slow period...to a certain extent, so why should nintendo be thinking of a price drop then? They have three potentially huge titles that'll conicide with the big holiday period and sales will pick up from there.

DS has hit saturation point? Do you know how incredible it is to sell 70+k during this time? What figures do you think the PS2 was pulling during this time of the year?

Good question. What was the PS2 pulling during this time of the year?

Parl said:
Well, I don't like to only compare user-bases. I mean, how much would a game sell on NES if it was released now?

Xbox had already sold its systems, but had been discarded by many and their focus was elsewhere, and their Yen was being taken elsewhere. 360 is hitting its stride right now (in its own little world).
Yeah. Blue Dragon through this year has definitely shown more activity than any Xbox/360 period prior.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Bleach went up?

Probably a new development team... something tells me Rajcin likely isn't up the HD task.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pristine_Condition said:
Hmm. I don't know. GT5 Prologue in the middle of the month followed by Devil May Cry 4 and Tekken 6 at the end of the month is the kind of "steaming pile of trouble" a lot of console makers would probably like to have...

Devil May Cry is not anywhere near as popular in Japan as in the US. DMC1 did 500k, DMC2 did 450k, DMC3 did 280k. Assuming the usual PS3 franchise adjustment, we're looking at 200k max--and that's not counting that some of the hardcores might opt for the X360 version instead (I highly doubt double-dipping is going to be a factor here)

Tekken... well... Tekken Tournament did 450k, Tekken 4 did 320k, Tekken 5 did 320k. Tekken: DR did 115k. So, again, we're looking at about 200k max.

Gran Turismo 5P will probably do pretty well. GT4P did about 70% of what GT4 did (for a total of around 750k). I could easily see GT5P doing 400-500k, and it'll definitely top MinGol 5 to become the best selling Japanese PS3 game.

ggd210

6cemxvm.gif

Where is Wii sales?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Bleach went up?

yeah, since if it sells 30K on ps2...it will be a big game with impact on ps3 :D

TwinsDad

I have now seen everything.

Halo at #1.

Japan buying a Western RPG.

Media Create the last few weeks has been different and almost surreal.

jarrod said:
Probably a new development team... something tells me Rajcin likely isn't up the HD task.
Eighting sure has experience with Bleach so count them in :lol

cw_sasuke said:
yeah, since if it sells 30K on ps2...it will be a big game with impact on ps3 :D
Yeah, well, I'm going to be positive, you just won 'this week most stupid post' award. Congrats or something.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, well, I'm going to be positive, you just won 'this week most stupid post' award. Congrats or something.

plz don`t overeact...thx -.-

Lightning

Banned
llTll said:
dont give shit about stupid reviewers. play the game before you talk [ if you didnt already ]

its a good game. nothing less than 8 in my book [ if you are ok with the controller ] because i didnt have problem with it
I did play it. I am sort of mixed on the game. At first, the motion controls sucked ass but after practicing I got use to them. But I could never get use to the lock on... that was just horrible. I finished the game but have no intention to replay it.

I might someday though.

vanguardian1 said:
Interesting, how does the Wii chart in there for comparison, in your opinion?
Well, it's not doing as well as "virile, early-years, supply-unconstrained PS2" as seen in the blue and green lines for 2001 and 2002. But looking at a wider view of those particular lines, Wii has had its ups and downs relative to them. Being 10K lower for a few weeks doesn't really add up in the cumulative view until "a few" becomes "a lot".

Lobster

Banned
But Mistwalker is kind of big in Japan..Blue Dragon sold very nicely and that was on 360. I hope ASH will pull some big numbers. Atleast 30k first day, 100k+ week.

edit:You know what this thread needs..a list of games launched this week..didn't we used to have that in MC threads?

Xavien

Lobster said:
edit:You know what this thread needs..a list of games launched this week..didn't we used to have that in MC threads?

Cheese is on holiday, once he gets back hopefully the old format will return :D

But jonnyram is doing a pretty good job at holding the fort in the mean time.

Gaborn

Sgt. Killjoy said:
wow halo 3 might actually sell 100,000!

i cant wait for hardware numbers. 360 better be kinda jacked, but im not betting on it.

Famitsu had it around 5k, assuming they're remotely close as usual that's a fairly large statistical bump but doesn't really change anything for the 360.

Halo 3 at number one is odd, but it's not like it sold at an unbelievable rate. It was just a slow week, that's all. Expect it to completely fall off the charts and never return, perhaps as soon as next week.

Busaiku

PSP - 102,809
DSL - 72,895
Wii - 24,143
PS3 - 13,105
PS2 - 12,980
Xbox360 - 5,215
GBM - 229
GC - 73
GBASP - 49
GBA - 41
DS - 30

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Really close to Famitsu this week, I expect the new color will give the DS a boost next week and put it back at #1.

Lobster

Banned
Busaiku said:
PSP - 102,809
DSL - 72,895
Wii - 24,143
PS3 - 13,105
PS2 - 12,980
Xbox360 - 5,215
GBM - 229
GC - 73
GBASP - 49
GBA - 41
DS - 30

wow..PSP should be below DSL by next week..thats a shame..it was having such a nice burst of energy.

Busaiku said:
PSP - 102,809
DSL - 72,895
Wii - 24,143
PS3 - 13,105
PS2 - 12,980
Xbox360 - 5,215
GBM - 229
GC - 73
GBASP - 49
GBA - 41
DS - 30

So the Wii and DS together couldn't even match PSP sales. Wow, never thought I would write that sentence.

Busaiku

jj984jj said:
Really close to Famitsu this week, I expect the new color will give the DS a boost next week and put it back at #1.
Isn't ASH also bundled with it?
Has there been a number on how many bundles?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Really suprised by the 360's sales. I was expecting around 20 to 30,000 like when Blue Dragon was released. I guess anyone who wanted to buy it already had a 360.

PS3 will pick up when it drops in price and when the big games are released (GT5P, DMC4, MGS4, RE5, FFXIII, etc.). It will be a long and slow rise until it is fully in place. I am still confident it will become the #1 home console in japan by the time RE5 is out.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Busaiku said:
Isn't ASH also bundled with it?
Has there been a number on how many bundles?
No it's not a bundle, but they did launch on the same day.

Top Bottom