• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Durante said:
While I don't see much merit in discussing what "would have" happened without 360 I don't understand how any of your arguments refute Second's claim. Regardless of how the split between handheld and console JRPGs changed, he is talking about how the latter chunk was distributed among consoles. Even if that chunk was relatively smaller than in previous generations it was also distributed quite differently than ever before.

There's have a pie. It is cherry. I took a small slice for my dessert and I am going to let you and Second split all the rest. You guys can fight for the different proportions of the pie. Maybe in the end, you end up with 66% and Second gets 33%.

Okay now there's have a new pie. This one is blueberry. Also there's whipped cream. The pie is the same size as the old one, maybe a little smaller. I'll be keeping 80% of it, though. You guys can fight between the 20%. This time, since Second is really craving blueberries, he wins and ends up getting two thirds of what's up for grabs.

... focusing the discussion on the impact of Second taking 13% to your 6% is a little silly, and attempting to categorize that shift as being meaningful to you or to him would be incorrect, given that I've still got 80% of the pie and I'm cramming it down my gullet at world-record speeds. Would you have gotten more of the pie if Second wasn't around? Sure, but what happens to the crumbs is not and should not be the focal point of the conversation.

cvxfreak

According to Sinobi:

Tomodachi Collection: 70,000 / 836,000
Dragon Quest IX: 68,000
Dream Club: 45,000
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny: 31,000
Monster Hunter 3: 31,000 / 866,000
Super Robot Gakuen: 26,000
DS Money Game Thingy: 17,000

Road said:
30k this week for MH3 would put it again eerily simlar to DW5.

At this point, MH3 is ahead of DW5. MH3's in its 5th week, while surpassing DW5's 7th week.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Stumpokapow said:
There's have a pie. It is cherry. I took a small slice for my dessert and I am going to let you and Second split all the rest. You guys can fight for the different proportions of the pie. Maybe in the end, you end up with 66% and Second gets 33%.

Okay now there's have a new pie. This one is blueberry. Also there's whipped cream. The pie is the same size as the old one, maybe a little smaller. I'll be keeping 80% of it, though. You guys can fight between the 20%. This time, since Second is really craving blueberries, he wins and ends up getting two thirds of what's up for grabs.

... focusing the discussion on the impact of Second taking 13% to your 6% is a little silly, and attempting to categorize that shift as being meaningful to you or to him would be incorrect, given that I've still got 80% of the pie and I'm cramming it down my gullet at world-record speeds. Would you have gotten more of the pie if Second wasn't around? Sure, but what happens to the crumbs is not and should not be the focal point of the conversation.
Excellent point.

To add one statistic; Square Enix released 9 games on the GBA and have released/announced 47 games on PSP/DS. (35 DS, 13 PSP; Space Invaders is on both consoles, thus the difference in the sum).

Last gen: 34 PS2 games, 1 GCN game.
This gen: 5 (6 if Last Remnant ever comes out) PS3 games, 8 X360 games, 3 Wii Ware games and 6 Wii games, for a total of 15 big/full games and 3 Wiiware games.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
According to Sinobi:

Hmm, as I noticed was starting to happen last week, DQIX is selling now at double the pace DQVII did (from week 6-8). If it maintains this rate, 5 million is certainly achievable, I think.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
Sooo....

Soul Calibur at #5 means that Monster Hunter could be under 30k, as SC opened with a 23k first day, and I expect it to have cleared 30k but not by much. A 25k-30k week for MH would be reasonable, but I wonder now whether it will stabilise at that level or just tail off completely in the next couple of weeks.
Ye, something around 25k-30k for MH3 seems possible indeed :)

EDIT: I now see the Sinobi numbers where MH3 numbers is 31,000. Nice :)

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Hmm, as I noticed was starting to happen last week, DQIX is selling now at double the pace DQVII did (from week 6-8). If it maintains this rate, 5 million is certainly achievable, I think.

Yeah but what Wada didn't anticipate is that his own friend Sakaguchi will be releasing Blue Dragon DS on Oct 1st. Once that's out and gamers have a taste of what DQIX was really meant to be all along, it'll totally cut off DQIX's legs for good as BD goes on to sell 6 million copies instead. Namco is brilliant.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha did I really type all that shit?! ROLFMAO!

cvxfreak

test_account said:
Ye, something around 25k-30k for MH3 seems possible indeed :)

EDIT: I now see the Sinobi numbers where MH3 numbers is 31,000. Nice :)

I'm guessing that Capcom has shipped out more controller bundles to shops in spite of the price drops for the standalone at some places. Bic's website has brought back all SKUs to their launch day prices, and the black bundle is back in stock there. However, Yodobashi only has the standalone on their website.

I think MH3 is set to follow a percentage of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd on a weekly basis. The pace seems similar overall, while it maintains similar actual numbers to DW5. If MH3 keeps doing 75% of MHP2, then it can end up at like 1.3 Million.

ethelred

Durante said:
...I don't understand how any of your arguments refute Second's claim. Regardless of how the split between handheld and console JRPGs changed, he is talking about how the latter chunk was distributed among consoles. Even if that chunk was relatively smaller than in previous generations it was also distributed quite differently than ever before.

No.

Second's original clam, broken down into distinct points, was this:
a. Sony's PS3 issue in Japan isn't its price
b. Sony's PS3 issue in Japan is its games
c. the 360 absorbed all of the Japanese RPGs
d. the 360 absorption of all the Japanese RPGs is what hurt the PS3

Now, I'd quarel a bit with Point A. I think Sony was impacted initially by its price, as the price scared off a lot of consumers and that scared off a lot of developers and that contributed to the dearth of games. There were obviously other factors as well that impacted the # of games, but price was an issue, if not the issue. But Point B is obviously correct: the lack of games was the biggest contributing factor to the PS3's weak sales.

However, Point C is bollocks. As I was trying to show with my list, the 360 hasn't absorbed all of the Japanese RPGs. It's gotten a handful of RPGs, at best. You guys can go back later and refocus that by saying "well it got all the console Japanese RPGs," but that wasn't the claim that was originally made, and if that's the claim into which the argument's being modified, it really is silly -- as Stumpy said, you're narrowly focusing on the crumbs of what was once a much, much larger pie instead of looking at the big picture. Regardless, the claim I originally decided to refute was strictly stated as, and I quote, "Microsoft absorbing all the JRPG's." That hasn't happened. The bulk of the Japanese RPGs this generation were not released on the 360. I'll grant that the lack of getting lots of Japanese RPGs has hurt the PS3, but again, this hasn't been spurred by the 360.

The final point, Point D, is also wildly inaccurate. Setting aside the belief that the 360 absorbed all the Japanese RPGs for a moment, it's a bit ridiculous to think (as Second later argued as well) that the handful of Japanese RPGs that the 360 did get would have in any way contributed to some kind of greater success or market impact for the PS3. As I listed in my post, there were a total of six Japanese RPGs that sold over 100k (which we'll use as a baseline for establishing some kind of notable impact). Two of those six are Microsoft games, so obviously we can scratch them off the list -- they wouldn't have been going to the PS3 (a third is also questionable since it was funded by Microsoft with the intent to publish before a third party stepped in at the last minute, but we'll leave it on there for the sake of argument). So Second's argument becomes that the PS3 was hurt by the lack of four games: The Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, and Infinite Undiscovery. Can we not see how absurd this argument is on its face? That's why I pointed out the sales comparison. These games aren't as huge as we think they are... at least, not on the home consoles, not anymore! Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia were both outsold or sold equally to portable (DS/PSP) incarnations of those series. The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were both outsold many times over by other Square Enix games; Undiscovery was outsold by a DS spinoff of one of tri-Ace's established series. Even if we assume (correctly, I think) that the games would've sold somewhat better on the PS3 versus the sales they achieved on the 360, it's utterly ridiculous to think that simply the lack of having these four in any way is a contributing factor to the PS3's failure in Japan. It's these four games which killed the PS3 -- these four games which sold a combined total of 664,397 units -- and not the entirety of the Japanese RPGs releases that have come out this generation, the bulk of which were on portable consoles (the DS RPGs published by 3rd parties which hit above 100k have sold a combined 15.2 million copies; the PSP RPGs published by 3rd parties which hit above 100k have sold a combined 3.8 million)? How is it that in this new universe we've constructed these games have had a lesser impact that the four "big" console RPGs that hit the 360? Can we say blinders much?

Frillen

I think DQIX might have a shot at 4.5 Million but not 5 Million. Next 4-5 weeks will decide.

Monster Hunter should have no problem crossing 1 Million and should end up with 1.2 Million when everything is said and done.

cvxfreak said:
I'm guessing that Capcom has shipped out more controller bundles to shops in spite of the price drops for the standalone at some places. Bic's website has brought back all SKUs to their launch day prices, and the black bundle is back in stock there. However, Yodobashi only has the standalone on their website.

:lol

The pricing on this game has been loony, but absolutely fascinating to follow.

cvxfreak

Frillen said:
I think DQIX might have a shot at 4.5 Million but not 5 Million. Next 4-5 weeks will decide.

Actually, I think the holiday season will tell us precisely whether it can get to 5 Million.

Interestingly enough, there is one other company that has shown us just how to extract an extra million sales off an existing title so long after launch and after its expected sales would have virtually stopped...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll[spoiler said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha did I really type all that shit?! ROLFMAO![/spoiler]

A world where a Sakaguchi game sells six million copies? *duckroll wakes from the best dream of his life*

gkryhewy

cvxfreak said:
According to Sinobi:

At this point, MH3 is ahead of DW5. MH3's in its 5th week, while surpassing DW5's 7th week.

WSR is missing.

cvxfreak said:
Yeah. MH3 is ahead of DW5, but behind DW4. It's total LTD should be somewhere in the 900k-1.1 million ball park, though its legs over the next few months will be telling if it can pull past that.

Durante

Stumpokapow said:
Well, I can't say I'm very happy with that analogy. It would be more apposite to say that there are pies and cakes, and this time around there are a lot more cakes than last time while pie production has gone down due to a price hike in ingredients. Yet it still makes sense to discuss what types of pie are to be had regardless of the number of cakes. Now that I think about it it's just the old argument about whether console and handheld games are the same market again.

ethelred said:
Second's original clam, broken down into distinct points, was this:
a. Sony's PS3 issue in Japan isn't its price
b. Sony's PS3 issue in Japan is its games
c. the 360 absorbed all of the Japanese RPGs
d. the 360 absorption of all the Japanese RPGs is what hurt the PS3
I also disagree with point a (and thus agree with you), so I removed the part of your post concerning that.

ethelred said:
However, Point C is bollocks. As I was trying to show with my list, the 360 hasn't absorbed all of the Japanese RPGs. It's gotten a handful of RPGs, at best. You guys can go back later and refocus that by saying "well it got all the console Japanese RPGs," but that wasn't the claim that was originally made, and if that's the claim into which the argument's being modified, it really is silly -- as Stumpy said, you're narrowly focusing on the crumbs of what was once a much, much larger pie instead of looking at the big picture. Regardless, the claim I originally decided to refute was strictly stated as, and I quote, "Microsoft absorbing all the JRPG's." That hasn't happened. The bulk of the Japanese RPGs this generation were not released on the 360. I'll grant that the lack of getting lots of Japanese RPGs has hurt the PS3, but again, this hasn't been spurred by the 360.
Well, put like that ("all of the Japanese RPGs"), the claim is clearly wrong, and I'd never argue differently. From the context (and because of my belief that most people don't go out of their way to make nonsensical claims) I assumed a focus on console games though. It's a simple difference in understanding but obviously a vital one.

D wasn't the point I was defending, so I won't get into that in detail. Suffice it to say that I mostly agree with you. Though I'd argue that the 360's "absorption" of console JRPGs, especially during the vital start of the generation, was one of the contributing factors to the "hurt" the PS3 experienced and continues to experience. I think that this early in the cycle it's not just about hard numbers but also about mindshare, and even a handful of on the whole rather middling games would have helped with that.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I don't think there's much merit in debating these "what if"s, I just stepped in to defend what I percieved to be the unjustly rejected claim of 360 taking an unusually large chunk of console JRPGs particularly at the start of the generation.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
Sales not stated on Sinobi.

I guess I neglected to mention the 1000 copies of that new Nanashi no Game.
Surely you mean 10,000+ for Nanashi no Game: Eye? I'm shocked if it has bombed so badly given how the first one did quite well overall (~60,000?).

markatisu

MH3 keeps on trucking, 30-35k would be a decent drop and it seems to have weathered all the price collapse/bomba reactions well.

You wonder if Nintendo really knows these games will hit or if they just get that lucky

jesusraz

Therefore, so far we have the following:

cvxfreak said:
According to Sinobi:

1/ Tomodachi Collection: 70,000 / 836,000
2/ Dragon Quest IX: 68,000 / ~3,791,000 (using the latest MC total...but mixing numbers isn't ideal...)
3/ Dream C Club: 45,000 / NEW
4/ Wii Sports Resort
5/ SoulCalibur Broken Destiny: 31,000 / NEW
6/ Monster Hunter 3: 31,000 / 866,000
7/ Super Robot Gakuen: 26,000 / NEW
8/ Hakuôki Zuisôroku
9/ Mono ya Okane no Shikumi (Nintendo x Nikkei): 17,000 / NEW
10/ Hakuôki Portable
XX/ Nanashi no Game: Eye: 10,000 / NEW

Durante

manueldelalas said:
To add one statistic; Square Enix released 9 games on the GBA and have released/announced 47 games on PSP/DS. (35 DS, 13 PSP; Space Invaders is on both consoles, thus the difference in the sum).

Last gen: 34 PS2 games, 1 GCN game.
This gen: 5 (6 if Last Remnant ever comes out) PS3 games, 8 X360 games, 3 Wii Ware games and 6 Wii games, for a total of 15 big/full games and 3 Wiiware games.
Thanks for digging out these numbers. They confirm a feeling I've had for a while: Though it is true that there was a massive increase in handheld releases (around 5 times as many!) the decrease in console games hasn't been nearly as steep (about half as many). Add in the fact that this handheld generation is significantly older than the console generation and that the latter is far from over and this becomes even more apparent.

So, unlike the claim of a shift from 20/80 to 80/20 earlier in the thread it looks more like 20/80 to 100/40. I believe it still makes sense to talk about how those 40 are distributed.

The reasons for this should be pretty obvious: handheld games are much cheaper to make, particularly the ubiquitous ports, so a medium shift in production budget results in a huge shift in the number of games released.

Road

cvxfreak said:
According to Sinobi:

It's actually been ahead since the start. Hehe

But I mean it as the similar weekly sales numbers that were pointed out previously:
Code:
  DW5	MHTri
1 561	583
2 128	138
3  71	 72
4  40	 42
5  29	 31
6  19	  ?
7  12	  ?

ethelred

Durante said:
Thanks for digging out these numbers. They confirm a feeling I've had for a while: Though it is true that there was a massive increase in handheld releases (around 5 times as many!) the decrease in console games hasn't been nearly as steep (about half as many). Add in the fact that this handheld generation is significantly older than the console generation and that the latter is far from over and this becomes even more apparent.

So, unlike the claim of a shift from 20/80 to 80/20 earlier in the thread it looks more like 20/80 to 100/40. I believe it still makes sense to talk about how those 40 are distributed.

The reasons for this should be pretty obvious: handheld games are much cheaper to make, particularly the ubiquitous ports, so a medium shift in production budget results in a huge shift in the number of games released.

Bear in mind that you're making an argument that there hasn't been a decrease in console development and that it's critically important to look at the division of 40% of titles based on a 360 list of 8 games inflated by the likes of James Bond: Quantum of Solace's Japanese localization and four versions of Final Fantasy XI. As far as the 5 PS3 games list is concerned, I don't know where the hell Manuel is getting that number, as James Bond is the sole retail release for the PS3 that Square has published in Japan. The only one! The six Wii games include the Japanese localization of Major Minor's Majestic March, the Wii version of Echoes of Time (lol there sure is an even focus between consoles and portables!), and the localization of James Bond (again).

Really? These are the lists you're going to use to make the credulous claim that there hasn't been much of a steep decrease in console game releases? Really? Really?

I believe that list consisted of 'released/announced', not only 'released'. That might explain the PS3 numbers. I'm not sure, though.

Durante

Well, I just trusted the numbers as they were presented -- I admittedly don't have encyclopedic knowledge of Japanese releases. I could look up the number of western JRPG releases by all the publishers and check my claims against that, but that would be somewhat off-topic in this thread.

(I would also appreciate if my words wouldn't be twisted, I never claimed anything as "critically important". But maybe that is too much to ask in a MC thread)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
Bear in mind that you're making an argument that there hasn't been a decrease in console development and that it's critically important to look at the division of 40% of titles based on a 360 list of 8 games inflated by the likes of James Bond: Quantum of Solace's Japanese localization and four versions of Final Fantasy XI. As far as the 5 PS3 games list is concerned, I don't know where the hell Manuel is getting that number, as James Bond is the sole retail release for the PS3 that Square has published in Japan. The only one! The six Wii games include the Japanese localization of Major Minor's Majestic March, the Wii version of Echoes of Time (lol there sure is an even focus between consoles and portables!), and the localization of James Bond (again)

He's counting announced games, so it's including Versus XIII, XIII, and XIV, and possibly NieR and Front Mission Evolved.

Durante said:

Well, except for the fact that half or more of those Square Enix games were greenlit before this generation started--this is operative because the sum total of console games greenlit since this generation played out appears to be NieR and Front Mission Evolved.

SKU count is misleading because all the multiplatform games are being counted twice in the console count, but they're not a factor on handhelds. Also mobile / iPhone SKUs / DSiWare are not counted, but WiiWare / XBLA are.

If you want to talk about what is happening to RPGs this generation, the target of the conversation should not be "What is the impact of Microsoft subsidizing a few RPGs?", but instead "What is the impact of handheld gaming being coronated?"

As an aside, I don't think there's much operative difference between 80/20 and 100/40 compared to 20/80; whether you're talking about a 10x shift or 16x shift, it's still an order of magnitude.

Durante

Stumpokapow said:
SKU count is misleading because all the multiplatform games are being counted twice in the console count, but they're not a factor on handhelds.
Are they? The sum (15) given for the console games is less than the actual sum of the numbers listed for each platform (20 without Wiiware), so I assumed that had been taken care of. As I said, I admittedly didn't check the numbers. For what it's worth I do agree that SKU count is a bad metric, as is so often the case budget would be better, but we don't have that information.

Stumpokapow said:
If you want to talk about what is happening to RPGs this generation, the target of the conversation should not be "What is the impact of Microsoft subsidizing a few RPGs?", but instead "What is the impact of handheld gaming being coronated?".
Of course that is probably the single most important factor, but MS subsidizing some games during the critical start-up phase of the generation surely also had some impact. In any case, I think we have to wait until this generation is over or at least coming to a close to truly analyze what happened to JRPGs.

Opiate

Durante said:
Well, I can't say I'm very happy with that analogy. It would be more apposite to say that there are pies and cakes, and this time around there are a lot more cakes than last time while pie production has gone down due to a price hike in ingredients. Yet it still makes sense to discuss what types of pie are to be had regardless of the number of cakes. Now that I think about it it's just the old argument about whether console and handheld games are the same market again.

The implication of your analogy -- the point I assume you're dissecting -- is that "consoles" and "handhelds" have distinct resources needed for them, a quota of sorts. You call these "ingredients."

I think Stump's analogy is far more apt. The ingredients for home and handheld games are identical: humans. You need people to sit in an office and program them and create the graphical assets. Other than capital assets -- which are static and comparatively minor -- this is the only "ingredient" needed to create a game.

The strong evidence for this should be apparent in a thought expirement: if Square Enix decided to make 5 titles the size of FFXIII for consoles right now, would this affect their handheld development? The answer is clearly yes, because any resources being spent on games like TWEWY or Dissidia or DQ ports would need to be reallocated to these major FFXIII-esque games. Resources don't exist in a bubble. We saw companies like Konami have their output lowered significantly while resources were allocated to MGS4, as an example.

Therefore, both handheld and console games are pulling from the same "ingredient" pool. Giving more ingredients to one takes some from the other.

Kenka

Damn, this MH3/DW5 parallel stuff is a gold ore.

Who's the genious who came (fairly early) with this very relevant comparision ? Sensational job.

Durante

@Opiate:
See, this is why I don't like these vague analogies -- that wasn't my point at all. (Most likely my fault in trying to keep up the analogy and not just stating directly what I mean)

The point was that they serve different tastes/markets. The reference to ingredients was only to include the generally accepted view that one of the reasons for the decline in console game development are rising costs. So yes, they were supposed to be developers/budget, but I didn't even think of the implication that pies and cakes need different ones -- which is also, as you point out, not applicable to the situation. (Except for the very few highly coveted ones which can decide that they'd rather be backed into a cake ;))

Opiate said:
Therefore, both handheld and console games are pulling from the same "ingredient" pool. Giving more ingredients to one takes some from the other.
Absolutely.

wow, didn't expect Dream C Club and Idea Factory titles would explode on the weekend.

3) Dream Club: 45,000 / NEW
First day 22k (60%)
Sold out its first shipment, got another one, did more than twice its first day, came out at >90% sellthrough (sinobi snip) and...
...nearly sold the same as Idolmaster L4U (48k first day)!
I don't even think D3 expected it to do this good. sinobi thinks the same.

5) Soul Calibur Broken Destiny: 31,000 / NEW
First day 23k (33%)
Uh-oh #1, shitty normal weekend growth and still just about 45% sell through (assuming it didn't get a second and all that). Less than SCIV 360 first week (35k).

7) Super Robot Gakuen: 26,000 / NEW
First day 22k (39%)
Holy crappy weekend growth #2. Barely scraps 45% sell through too.

8) Hakuôki Zuisôroku >17k
First day 6,6k (51% NE / 64% LE)
Idea Factory gets a title on the top10! STOP THE PRESSES!
What in the effing fuck. Three times its first day at least, with a second shipment.

9) Mono ya Okane no Shikumi (Nintendo x Nikkei): 17,000 / NEW
First day 6,1k (10%)
Nintendo as usual. Their extremely confident first day shipment leading to extremely shitty first day sell through is saved by really good weekend growth, although still <30% sold through as of its first week. But its Nintendo, it'll probably start going up rather than down, etc etc. Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't really be difficult to burn its shipment.

10) Hakuôki Portable <17k and >10k
First day 4,9k (45%)
WHAT THE FUCK territory
Idea Factory gets 2 titles on the top10 and its even multiplatform? Day of the forever for them. At least twice its first day (could also be three times like its PS2 brother) with a second shipment too.

..) Nanashi no Game: Eye: 10,000 / NEW
First day 7,9k (19%)
So bad. Below 25% sell through. Well below the first one start too (31k).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kenka said:

Who's the genious who came (fairly early) with this very relevant comparision ? Sensational job.

cvx I believe. And yeah, it has been pretty spot on so far. If Tri sold identical to DW5 from here on out, it would get to 955K. I think it will easily do more than that with the assumed bigger initial shipment.

test_account

XP-39C²
cvxfreak said:
Ye, i think it would be a smart move by Capcom and the stores to order more MH3 controller bundles indeed. And it is cool to hear that Bic's website has brought back MH3 to their launch prices :) Oh, so they MH3 + Black Wii bundle is still for sale, is this a 2nd shipment?

cvxfreak said:
I think MH3 is set to follow a percentage of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd on a weekly basis. The pace seems similar overall, while it maintains similar actual numbers to DW5. If MH3 keeps doing 75% of MHP2, then it can end up at like 1.3 Million.
Ye, this might happend indeed, i agree. I must admit that i didnt think at first that MH3 would sell this good. I am curious on how MH3 will contunie to sell and if this holiday will boost the MH3 sales.

markatisu

test_account said:
Ye, i think it would be a smart move by Capcom and the stores to order more MH3 controller bundles indeed. And it is cool to hear that Bic's website has brought back MH3 to their launch prices :) Oh, so they MH3 + Black Wii bundle is still for sale, is this a 2nd shipment?

The black controller bundles are going to be what keeps this game affloat imho

Datschge

Kenka said:

I think JJS got this when looking through his garaph site which other games there are with similar sales development. And I think DW5 was the only one of the resulting bunch which didn't make it to 1 million...

schuelma said:
cvx I believe. And yeah, it has been pretty spot on so far. If Tri sold identical to DW5 from here on out, it would get to 955K. I think it will easily do more than that with the assumed bigger initial shipment.

Didn't someone just mention that MH3 is two weeks ahead of DW5? If so, I'm really impressed with it. I completely expected MH3 to drop off at around 800k LTD and only pass 1 million on the inevitable MH3 THE BEST release.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
Didn't someone just mention that MH3 is two weeks ahead of DW5? If so, I'm really impressed with it. I completely expected MH3 to drop off at around 800k LTD and only pass 1 million on the inevitable MH3 THE BEST release.

Yes, it is ahead of it, but if you look at the weekly sales starting especially with week 2 it is pretty damn close.

schuelma said:
Yes, it is ahead of it, but if you look at the weekly sales starting especially with week 2 it is pretty damn close.

Oh, I know. I'm just really surprised that sales haven't dropped off a complete proverbial cliff here, like I expected them to.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
The black controller bundles are going to be what keeps this game affloat imho
Ye, from my understanding the controller bundles seems to be the most popular versions, so i can see that the controller bundles are what will keep MH3 selling good indeed as you say, i agree :)

Top Bottom