• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

donny2112 said:
Yes. Nintendo needs to drop the price in Japan and Europe this year.

I'm really interested to see what they'll do next, as they're in perhaps the strongest position of all three manufacturers. They have a great deal of room to manoeuvre in terms of price, and they've also seen what their competitors are doing with hardware revamps, promotions and/or price-cuts.

I don't see them cutting price anytime soon, especially given public comments from Iwata, but they could add a lot of value to the Wii package without changing the price point. I'm going to be very surprised if we get past their October conference and there isn't a new standard bundle or hardware revision that adds enough real or perceived value to let them maintain their current pricepoint.

test_account

XP-39C²
jeremy1456 said:
Actually $100 more.
I thought that the Wii costed like 24,990 Yen in Japan as other have already mentioned above me. Then the difference between the Wii and the PS3 in Japan is about 5000 yen, which is about $50, or $53 to be more precise, as Shiggy mentioned :)

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm really interested to see what they'll do next, as they're in perhaps the strongest position of all three manufacturers. They have a great deal of room to manoeuvre in terms of price, and they've also seen what their competitors are doing with hardware revamps, promotions and/or price-cuts.

I don't see them cutting price anytime soon, especially given public comments from Iwata, but they could add a lot of value to the Wii package without changing the price point. I'm going to be very surprised if we get past their October conference and there isn't a new standard bundle or hardware revision that adds enough real or perceived value to let them maintain their current pricepoint.

I could easily see a new WSR Motion+ Black Wii bundle hit the shelves this winter.

dolemite

Anasui Kishibe said:
PS3 sales
2afg7t3.jpg

but hey, they will pick up
What the ...? I hope the guy was alright after the crash.

schuelma said:
Whaaaaaa? Really?
Sum of my gut feeling plus like 30 guts feelings from yso guys says to go with that to be closer.

donny2112 said:
Too high. FFXIII probably won't spike the PS3 that high.
You didn't agree with my SD Gundam split either :p
I agree with the latter if it doesn't launch in December to be honest.

donny2112

Shiggy said:
Why in Europe but not the US?

They've had a December without stock shortages in Europe/Japan. That's not the case in the U.S. I'd like to see what Wii can do in the U.S. in a Q4 without shortages before dropping the price, and I think Nintendo is probably curious, as well.

dolemite

donny2112 said:
They've had a December without stock shortages in Europe/Japan. That's not the case in the U.S. I'd like to see what Wii can do in the U.S. in a Q4 without shortages before dropping the price, and I think Nintendo is probably curious, as well.
But if the numbers are low then Nintendo will have three post holiday months to come up with something like 10 million units sold.

donny2112

dolemite said:
But if the numbers are low then Nintendo will have three post holiday months to come up with something like 10 million units sold.

They're not going to make their expected shipments this year. A price drop now of $100 and maybe. I expect them to revise down their shipments after Q2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
donny2112 said:
Too high. FFXIII probably won't spike the PS3 that high.

Yes. Nintendo needs to drop the price in Japan and Europe this year.

Well, I agree but the Wii it's already 229Euros in stores everywhere, I don't think 200 would make that much of a difference. Maybe 189 Euros will do.

onken

Rakuten is sold out of PS3 slim and Amazon have stopped taking pre-orders (so I guess they're out as well), interesting.

spwolf

Dash Kappei said:
Well, I agree but the Wii it's already 229Euros in stores everywhere, I don't think 200 would make that much of a difference. Maybe 189 Euros will do.

you are mistaking MSRP and price... in europe, they make money on consoles and hence they discount them... meaning if it was 200, it would probably end up at 180, etc.

wii will drop in price for holidays...

I applaud Opiate for the bold prediction, but I really can't conceive of PS3 selling more units the rest of the year than Wii; the gap from Slim launch will probably be well gone before the holidays even begin.

The only way I can see it going otherwise is if FF XIII and GT 5 both come out before the end of the year--and Capcom announces Monster Hunter TriG for PS3 at Tokyo Game Show. Needless to say, I don't think this perfect outcome is going to happen.

Jonnyram

onken said:
Rakuten is sold out of PS3 slim and Amazon have stopped taking pre-orders (so I guess they're out as well), interesting.
Amazon had the cheapest PS3 price in the country, and Rakuten is a collection of stores, not a single outlet.

Majmun

ethelred said:
Yeah, because it's on the 360 where RPGs are selling this gen. For sure.

Oh wait.

Ehh, most of those games would've ended on the DS anyway. The best selling jrpg's on the DS seem to be Nintendo games and FF or DQ games.

Nothing special to see there. Only DQIX is a big hit in the face for Sony. The other DS SE games are FF/DQ spin offs or remakes of NES/GAMES. Perfectly fit for a handheld.

What I'm trying to say is that MS took all the big jrpg's that were announced for the consoles. Ps3 really needed a new Star Ocean and a Tales of Vesperia...

ethelred

Second said:
Ehh, most of those games would've ended on the DS anyway. The best selling jrpg's on the DS seem to be Nintendo games and FF or DQ games.

Nothing special to see there. Only DQIX is a big hit in the face for Sony. The other DS SE games are FF/DQ spin offs or remakes of NES/GAMES. Perfectly fit for a handheld.

What I'm trying to say is that MS took all the big jrpg's that were announced for the consoles. Ps3 really needed a new Star Ocean and a Tales of Vesperia...

Oh, I see. You're delusional. That's unfortunate. :(

Edit: Actually, you know what, this is ludicrous enough that it bears a deeper response.

Microsoft took all the "big" RPGs? Hah. Is that why only two of them across the entire library have scratched (and even then just barely) 200,000 copies? What's so big about that? You label Star Ocean and Tales of Vesperia as "big" RPGs -- but Tales of Vesperia was outsold by Tales of the Tempest, a shitpile outsourced game by Dimps (not to mention that it was also outsold by all of the PSP Tales ports and spinoffs and the higher quality DS installments and even the Wii game); the "big" Star Ocean 4, meanwhile, sold on par with a PSP remake of the SNES game, and only slightly better than a PSP remake of the PSX game and slightly better than a DS spinoff of the Valkyrie Profile series.

You claim the loss of Vesperia and Star Ocean is a hit of some sort for Sony while the DS just has... spinoffs. Okay. But there are five Square RPGs that have sold more on the DS and the PSP than the highest selling PS3 game in Japan, regardless of genre. And the big Star Ocean 4 sold well under half of the tiny little spinoff, Revenant Wings. Yeah, you've sure good a good grasp on the difference between big and small, it looks like! And a solid understanding of where the audience is in the current generation.

To dismiss a list of games the total sales of which are greater than 29 million copies collectively in favor of a list of games which all put together didn't even crack 1 million is, to put it very politely, stupid to the max. To justify that dismissal by arguing that the list doesn't count because it's dominated by Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest... well, okay, sure -- are you familiar with what the top RPG sellers on the PS2 were? I mean, really. Sure, there was more diversity in the upper echelons of PS2 RPG sales, but that's only because developers embraced that platform to a greater extent than they did the DS -- a reticence which has proven to be to their detriment, I might add.

The 360 is a virtual non-entity in Japan. It's drawn some sweet developer support, but it's basically in every sense a failure. The PS3? It's slightly less a failure, but at this point in time, it's still a failure. Again, it's drawn some good developer support because there are some developers and consumers that really really really want Thomas to succeed. But it hasn't been a success. It's failed. The idea that this failure is because of anything Microsoft did or didn't do is insipid. Sony's failure isn't attributable to the 360 any more than Microsoft's failure is attributable to the PS3. They're both non-factors, too insignificant in their levels of success (or lack thereof) to have any impact on their fellow travelers or on the market as a whole -- a market they've both separately failed to penetrate in any meaningful sense.

It wasn't the 360 that damned Sony to its failure, and it isn't the 360 that has seen the lion's share of RPG sales successes this generation, and it isn't the 360 that has cultivated any sort of audience that has thus impacted Sony's image as "the RPG console." Some people try entirely too hard to shape reality to their own liking by ignoring what's blazingly obvious; toss around semantic terms about "big" and "console" and "spinoff" all you like, but the best thing about numbers is that they speak for themselves in a language much clearer and sharper than your kind of pitiful attempts at spinning.

onken

Jonnyram said:
Amazon had the cheapest PS3 price in the country, and Rakuten is a collection of stores, not a single outlet.

Still, Amazon is a comparably "niche" site in Japan, it's quite rare for them to sell out of anything. Though admittedly they probably got a smaller shipment than most places.

cvxfreak

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Wii or any other system's price point in Japan relative to prices in other countries. The Yen's value is considerably higher than it has been in previous years, but the finance industry considers the high Yen to be highly irregular and tied to how bad the economy is doing. Even the Dollar has strengthened in this financial crisis against everything EXCEPT the Yen, meaning that the Dollar will move up faster than the Yen, while the pair will slide against Europe and Australia's currencies. So, I can't agree that Nintendo should drop the price of the Wii on the basis of forex.

If anything, the PS3 and 360 are under bigger threats should savvy Japanese decide to head over to Korea for games and hardware that play Japanese region games. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
jeremy1456 said:
Oh maybe I was wrong. Sorry guys.
No problem :)

Speaking about the PS3 price drop and about the japanese market only, do people think that the $299 (or 29,980 yen) PS3 price will still be an issue (i belive that the $399 price was an issue at least)? $299 still makes the PS3 the most expencive console on the market (or maybe the Xbox 360 Elite cost the same in Japan as well?), but on the other hand the PS3 price isnt that much higher than the Wii price for example.

onken said:
Slightly OT but does anyone know why Silent Hill 5 got canned in Japan?
Good question. The only reason that i can think of is that Silent Hill 5 were made by Konami USA and not by Konami Japan, and that the game hasnt been translated to japanese yet. Looking at Garaph.info, it seems that the latest Silent Hill games didnt sell that much (relatively speaking), and maybe Konami wont use the time and money to translate Silent Hill 5 to japanese if they belive that the game wont really sell that well.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?groupid=38

On the other hand, several of other USA developed games in general gets released in Japan, eventhough that might sell like 10k copies or so, so unfortunately i dont know if the reason for that Konami hasnt released Silent Hill 5 in Japan is because of that Konami wont use time and money to translate Silent Hill 5 into japanese.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
cvxfreak said:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Wii or any other system's price point in Japan relative to prices in other countries. The Yen's value is considerably higher than it has been in previous years, but the finance industry considers the high Yen to be highly irregular and tied to how bad the economy is doing. Even the Dollar has strengthened in this financial crisis against everything EXCEPT the Yen, meaning that the Dollar will move up faster than the Yen, while the pair will slide against Europe and Australia's currencies. So, I can't agree that Nintendo should drop the price of the Wii on the basis of forex.

If anything, the PS3 and 360 are under bigger threats should savvy Japanese decide to head over to Korea for games and hardware that play Japanese region games. :lol
Sony have apparently slowed shipments to Korea to stop this happening.

V_Arnold

ethelred said:
The 360 is a virtual non-entity in Japan. It's drawn some sweet developer support, but it's basically in every sense a failure. The PS3? It's slightly less a failure, but at this point in time, it's still a failure. Again, it's drawn some good developer support because there are some developers and consumers that really really really want Thomas to succeed. But it hasn't been a success. It's failed. The idea that this failure is because of anything Microsoft did or didn't do is insipid. Sony's failure isn't attributable to the 360 any more than Microsoft's failure is attributable to the PS3. They're both non-factors, too insignificant in their levels of success (or lack thereof) to have any impact on their fellow travelers or on the market as a whole -- a market they've both separately failed to penetrate in any meaningful sense.

Actually, you are pretty much dead wrong in a lot of things.
If you live in a world where only "failure" and "success" is, then yes, PS3 and 360 is both a failure, and that is the end of story.

However, Xbox 360 not only managed to greatly outsell its predecessor in Japan, it also managed to secure a few JRPG's for the machine, with a lot getting its majority of sales on Xbox 360. While JRPG overall might be a declining genre, still: the 360's 2nd year has improved on the first, and the 3rd year improved even more - and thus it is not a failure.
It is in the 3rd place, and will stay there, yes. But declaring it is "virtual non-entity" is something I would like to teach in school under the name " Seminar: Missing the point I."

cvxfreak

Sage00 said:

Can't say I blame them for doing that. Korean consumers of foreign goods got screwed so badly, it's not even funny.
Which means vacation time in Seoul for me later this month :p

Last I checked, a Wii in Korea right now amounts to like $180 or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
V_Arnold said:
However, Xbox 360 not only managed to greatly outsell its predecessor in Japan, it also managed to secure a few JRPG's for the machine, with a lot getting its majority of sales on Xbox 360. While JRPG overall might be a declining genre, still: the 360's 2nd year has improved on the first, and the 3rd year improved even more - and thus it is not a failure.

It is in the 3rd place, and will stay there, yes. But declaring it is "virtual non-entity" is something I would like to teach in school under the name " Seminar: Missing the point I."

hahaha

really?

No one would say that the 360 hasn't improved immeasurably in every way on the Xbox's performance in Japan, but you'd have to be totally and utterly loony to argue that this improvement has done anything to change the overall, holistic, place of the 360's performance in the history of console and handheld performances.

We're talking about hardware that's around as relevant as the Wonderswan.

cvxfreak

I think the 360 deserves a little praise for its Japanese performance.

But juuuuust a little. A miniscule amount that could in no way remove my ill-will with Microsoft for making such an unreliable POS from a hardware standpoint.

V_Arnold

Segata Sanshiro said:

Nah, you are not seeing any "20k/week in this holiday, i called it!" sentences.
I just find interesting to watch the change in "dead last" places, and it is funny to see the overall image of a console 'which consumers did not really want to get out of the shop without packing it carefully' evolving into something like 'ah, it is the last underdog, but has some interesting games' system.

Only problem that the somehow stable flow of JRPG's with some exclusivity deal stopped, and I do not see any new Mistwalker big-budget title either - which makes me sad. I loved Lost Odyssey.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So there will be a japanese Microsoft Conference tomorrow where they will announce a 360 price Drop - source gamefront.de

test_account

XP-39C²
cvxfreak said:
Sage00 said:
How much does a PS3 and a Xbox 360 cost in Korea?

ethelred

V_Arnold said:
Actually, you are pretty much dead wrong in a lot of things.
If you live in a world where only "failure" and "success" is, then yes, PS3 and 360 is both a failure, and that is the end of story.

The 360 is a virtual non-entity in Japan. It has made no impact on the Japanese market, and most gaming consumers in Japan are more than willing to ignore its existence and the entirety of its software library. I think I've gotten the point quite well, thanks.

As far as being in 3rd place, it isn't -- it's in 5th place. The only person who would use the term 3rd place to describe the 360 is a person who is still so misguided that they're pointlessly segregating out the most successful system of all time in Japan as well as its competitor, a system that has done enormously well (both in hardware and in recent time in software) in its own right.

And as I've already pointed out... while it may have managed to secure a few Japanese RPGs, those few (and I do stress few) RPGs haven't even been a drop in the ocean of sales the genre has seen this gen. They've sold plenty, but it hasn't been on the 360. The 360 has a few, but within the market, they haven't even come close to seeing the kind of success RPGs are seeing on other platforms. Again, when Tales of Vesperia is lauded as THE BIG RPG for the 360 and it gets outsold by Tales of the Tempest (as well as Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology and Radiant Mythology 2 and Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts and Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk), well, color me unimpressed with this staggering achievement for the 360. When Star Ocean 4 outsells a remake of the 1st Star Ocean game by about 5,000 copies, I have a hard time slotting it, too, into the category of THE BIG RPG.

Securing a few games (that then go on to achieve relatively mediocre overall sales; again, 29 million in sales for DS RPGs >100k vs. sub-1 million in sales for 360 RPGs >100k, and only 2 360 RPGs that have cracked 200k while there's a whole host of DS RPGS that have cracked not only 200k but also 400k and even 1 million individually) is not a very good definition of success. In fact if saying "it got a few games" is its benchmark, I'd call that a good definition for "failure."

DeaconKnowledge said:
I wish I could spend millions of dollars to pull myself forward a few scant inches then get praised for it.

You succeed by coming in 3rd place! Even if you did drop dead of a massive heart attack a quarter of the way through the race and then got trampled on by all the other runners and only passed the finish line when the paramedics carried your bashed and bloodied and crumpled heap of a body over it to get you to the nearby hearse.

Failure. It's the new black success.

EXGN

I guess I'm rather optimistic/Sony fanboy, but I can see a hardware bump for a solid month, kept at decent levels by a few short term releases, like Bayonetta, Tekken 6, Tales of Vesperia, 3D Dot Game Heroes. Then, just as it dies down, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII(both PS3 exclusive in Japan), and End of Eternity send it sky rocketing back.

I mean, when the FF13 DEMO hit in Japan, the PS3 sold like 70,000 units that week. Thats a DEMO. To top that off, Square has been talking about releasing a new international demo on the PSN, which could help boost things in the mean time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EXGN said:
I guess I'm rather optimistic/Sony fanboy, but I can see a hardware bump for a solid month, kept at decent levels by a few short term releases, like Bayonetta, Tekken 6, Tales of Vesperia, 3D Dot Game Heroes. Then, just as it dies down, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII(both PS3 exclusive in Japan), and End of Eternity send it sky rocketing back.

I think you're severely overestimating those titles as being able to keep what will probably be previously unprecedented sales to a "decent" level. I fully agree that Sony should have a very good September. After that, I see nothing to keep hardware sales up until December when FF13 most likely hits.

ethelred

birdchili said:

Okay, but the Dreamcast was still getting shmups for YEARS after its death, and surely no one would say that it had any sort of continuing market impact in 2007. Though I guess "beats 2007 vintage DC" is one benchmark we could use to define the 360 as successful...

Jokeropia

onken said:
Still, Amazon is a comparably "niche" site in Japan, it's quite rare for them to sell out of anything.
Not particularly. Most notable videogame-related SKUs tend to sell out on Amazon JP prior to release, especially special editions and stuff like that. For example, the Black Wii and all the MH3 bundles were sold out for while. (The CCPro bundles even a few weeks after release.)

Kenka

JoshuaJSlone said:
Isn't that pretty much the case on any system where they're available?

Maybe he was pointing on the fact that the 4 best selling third-party titles on Nintendo DS are all Dragon Quest games.

edit : here is the list of ten first best selling games made by third-parties on DS (courtesy of the_lascar)

1 Dragon Quest IX Square-Enix 11 juillet 09 3 722 954
2 Dragon Quest Monsters Joker Square-Enix 28 décembre 06 1 474 186
3 Dragon Quest IV Square-Enix 22 novembre 07 1 214 610
4 Dragon Quest V Square-Enix 17 juillet 08 1 176 082
5 Tamagotchi Connexion Bandai 15 septembre 05 1 110 046
6 Love & Berry Collection Sega 22 novembre 06 1 039 669
7 Final Fantasy III Square-Enix 24 août 06 1 020 755
8 Professor Layton Level-5 15 février 07 945 841
9 Professor Layton 2 Level-5 29 novembre 07 880 330
10 Professor Layton 3 Level-5 27 novembre 08 788 103

Famitsu numbers except Dragon Quest IX (which are slightly old if I don't get wrong)

Comparision with PS2 (sorry for Gran Turismo and Minna no Golf intrusions) :

1 Dragon Quest VIII Square-Enix 27 novembre 04 3 546 057
2 Final Fantasy X Square-Enix 19 juillet 01 2 524 644
3 Final Fantasy XII Square-Enix 16 mars 06 2 322 329
4 Final Fantasy X-2 Square-Enix 13 mars 03 2 009 497
5 Everybody's Golf 4 Sony 27 novembre 03 1 714 917
6 Dragon Quest V (remix) Square-Enix 25 mars 04 1 614 806
7 Gran Turismo 3 Sony 28 avril 01 1 513 700
8 Dynasty Warriors 4 Koei 27 février 03 1 197 349
9 Kingdom Hearts 2 Square-Enix 22 décembre 05 1 129 196
10 Winning Eleven 6 Konami 25 avril 02 1 116 786

Top Bottom