• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

duckroll

The S-E report didn't say it sold 1 million in the first day though. It said it sold "over a million" within the first day, including bundles. I'm pretty sure they just told all major chains they distributed to, to report on first day sales, and once they hit a million, they stopped counting and issued the release. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
They don't have to grow. It'll be less next year, but this will be a strong indication to investors that the company is still very capable of moving software and their brands are all strong. This means that investing in the company or staying as an investor, will reap rewards in the long term regardless of whether the next year is as big or not.
While the logic you present here is sound, sadly investors often do not use sound logic.

But I guess we'll see soon enough. They're be forecasting next year either in the January or April investor call, and we'll be able to see both if they intend to grow and the general reaction of investors.

Perhaps they'll announce some games in them as well, though I'm not sure if Square historically does that.

AniHawk

TTP said:
Very impressive considering the user base. GT5 should be fun :D

I don't think GT5 will have the huge first week, but it should have great legs to make up for it.

Back to Square Enix... this is probably going to be their biggest FY ever. Quite a few multi-million selling games.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
They could be relying on the Eidos side next year to bring home the goods. A new Hitman, Tomb Raider reboot, Thief 4, Deus Ex, Kane & Lynch 2. Hardly the western versions of FFXIII and DQ, but a solid lineup. Losing Arkham Asylum 2 is a shame though.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
While the logic you present here is sound, sadly investors often do not use sound logic.

Erm, what? Do you know something about investment and financial research that I don't? It's not unusual at all for companies to have profit milestones on certain years, especially when their business operates on irregular product cycles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
xyla said:
The hardware bundles are counted into total sales, or is this still a number without games from the lightning version?
Japanese trackers don't seperate hardware bundles sales. This is total software and total hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sage00 said:
They could be relying on the Eidos side next year to bring home the goods. A new Hitman, Tomb Raider reboot, Thief 4, Deus Ex, Kane & Lynch 2. Hardly the western versions of FFXIII and DQ, but a solid lineup. Losing Arkham Asylum 2 is a shame though.
Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Kayne & Lynch did all do over 2 million with their last entries I believe. Unfortunately I don't have the chart SE release about them on my right now.

The reboot for TR and the movie coming out with Hitman could help those also now that I think about it.

duckroll said:
Erm, what? Do you know something about investment and financial research that I don't? It's not unusual at all for companies to have profit milestones on certain years, especially when their business operates on irregular product cycles.
I agree, but I've seen quite a few stocks act very oddly after their profit milestones, though that might have more to due with hedgefund manipulation than regular investors freaking out.

duckroll

I'm pretty confident Versus XIII will be out in at least Japan, before April 2011.

Nirolak said:
I agree, but I've seen quite a few stocks act very oddly after their profit milestones, though that might have more to due with hedgefund manipulation than regular investors freaking out.

Oh sure, the stock will no doubt be more volatile if profits next year dip below this year. But what I mean is, that's to be expected by S-E management, and Wada is not going to be shitting in his pants that he might not match this year's profits next year. Obviously he'll look at what they have, and try to balance stuff out, but since he had no choice but to delay DQIX into this year, I would say the final result is way rosier than even he probably expected. :lol

cvxfreak

Outstanding FFXIII and PS3 hardware sales. The system was just flying off shelves since the 17th.

This seems to indicate that the 200K number for the bundles didn't pan out.

duckroll said:

i wouldn't rush out buying s-e stock however. that should have been done after the announcement dq9 was delayed.

deleted

Chris1964 said:
Japanese trackers don't seperate hardware bundles sales. This is total software and total hardware.

Ok, thanks. Still very impressive numbers considering the userbase.

Could this be the highest adaption rate for a Final Fantasy game ever?

Acosta

Very good sales, and impressive HW numbers. I suspect many people in Japan was waiting for this precise moment to buy a PS3 (which is a wise move). Really curious to see sales for next week to check the evolution of it.

duckroll

tetrisgrammaton said:
i wouldn't rush out buying s-e stock however. that should have been done after the announcement dq9 was delayed.

Yeah this is probably the worst time possible to BUY S-E shares, which is why it will go up. Lulz.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
This seems to indicate that the 200K number for the bundles didn't pan out.
Since there were sell-out signs of the bundle by Sunday and with the hardware number that was given it looks like the number of bundles was closer to 100.000
4 bundles for every 100 stand alone copies.
72.000 bundles for 1.800.000 stand alone copies?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Some you don't bother to read at least the previous page.

31/01/97 [PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 2.034.879 / 3.277.291 - 62,09%
11/02/99 [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 2.504.044 / 3.501.588 - 71,51%
07/07/00 [PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) - 1.954.421 / 2.707.301 - 72,19%
19/07/01 [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 1.749.737 / 2.325.215 - 75,25%
13/03/03 [PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1.472.914 / 1.960.937 - 75,11%
16/03/06 [PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 1.840.397 / 2.322.329 - 79,25%
17/12/09 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.516.532 / ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
I'm always surprised how people can see the 1,516,532 number yet miss the giant list of numbers in the middle of the page.

dolemite

Chris1964 said:

So the series is more and more frontloaded with every iteration, it seems.

Road

Square-Enix does have high expectations for this FY:
slr21t.jpg

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20091105_02en.pdf

And, Chris, seeing it now they say 4 million for DQIX, but I think I did see 4.2 million somewhere. Maybe they corrected it or we're imagining things.

Orgen

Wow at FF XIII, 2 million is now a possibility.

Sorry if it has been asked before, but when can we expect numbers for NSMBW third week and the others?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Orgen said:
Wow at FF XIII, 2 million is now a possibility.

Sorry if it has been asked before, but when can we expect numbers for NSMBW third week and the others?
Probably on Wednesday/Thursday, unless we get a leak.

duckroll said:

i think what he meant was that most investors are not rational: when the stock goes down they HOPE it will go up and thus dont sell it to cut their loss and when it actually goes up they FEAR it will go down and therefore sell it and thus make a lesser profit.

legend166

duckroll said:
Well, if we count western sales, then there's also Arkham Asylum in US and Europe. :p

They don't have to grow. It'll be less next year, but this will be a strong indication to investors that the company is still very capable of moving software and their brands are all strong. This means that investing in the company or staying as an investor, will reap rewards in the long term regardless of whether the next year is as big or not.

Ha, tell that to Nintendo. Their shares plummeted simply because they couldn't match record growth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sleeping_dragon said:
i think what he meant was that most investors are not rational: when the stock goes down they HOPE it will go up and thus dont sell it to cut their loss and when it actually goes up they FEAR it will go down and therefore sell it and thus make a lesser profit.
Well, I also mean it's not unheard of for a company to beat expectations, but forecast smaller sales next year and have their stock price go down, even if the company is quite likely to do better as a whole in the longer term.

legend166 said:
Ha, tell that to Nintendo. Their shares plummeted simply because they couldn't match record growth.
This is great example of this.

While it's possible that Square Enix is fine with their stock going down next year, I still think there's a fair chance that they have more ready to release and/or what they're releasing is going to be more impressive than what a lot of people are expecting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road said:
Oh, thanks. Not sure where the 200k could come from outside Wada's craziness. Couldn't be "Asia" because they only shipped 10k the whole semester there.
Am I going insane or are both the article and the pdf dated November 5th, 2009?

Did we just not notice these for a while, or am I going insane as to what date it is?

Edit:

Nevermind, I thought that was the DQ9 shipped 4.15 million article. I'm not going crazy.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nirolak said:
Am I going insane or are both the article and the pdf dated November 5th, 2009?

Did we just not notice these for a while, or am I going insane as to what date it is?
We had noticed them and the 4,2M number was reported in these threads but today we got 4,15M for DQ IX. Both numbers were given from S-E.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
We had noticed them and the 4,2M number was reported in these threads but today we got 4,15M for DQ IX. Both numbers were given from S-E.
Yeah, my bad. I had confused the article we got today with that one.

AniHawk said:
What's the worst launch-to-LTD ratio a PS FF had? 75%?
Chris1964 said:

Or the current page for that matter. :p

Elios83

Excellent numbers both software and hardware. SE must be happy that they have sold so well notwithstanding the PS3 installed base.
Of course it seems the bundles were 'just' 100k and not 200k. So total sales doubled for the normal edition PS3 (75k*2) + 100k bundles.

ReyBrujo

Impressive sales. I think it will pass the 2m mark, by the way, but probably not in a good while. By the way, does Wii have an opportunity to outsell PS3 on FFXIII launch? Or to stay ahead of YTD by the end of the week?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ReyBrujo said:
Impressive sales. I think it will pass the 2m mark, by the way, but probably not in a good while. By the way, does Wii have an opportunity to outsell PS3 on FFXIII launch? Or to stay ahead of YTD by the end of the week?
The YTD battle has been determined long time ago. Wii is the winner. This week though PS3 will possibly top it.

Durante

If we do a least squares fit through the previous FF's first week ratios and use it to estimate the ratio for FFXIII, and then apply that to its numbers the result is a LTD of 1.847.234

Obviously this has no sound statistical basis at all, but sales predictions never have so I#ll just throw it out here :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, very nice FF13 sales. Higher than I expected, though its hard to tell without the first day numbers.

Great PS3 hardware of course, though a bit lower than I was expecting after the 200K bundle craze.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
The YTD battle has been determined long time ago. Wii is the winner. This week though PS3 will possibly top it.
The Wii vs. PS3 sales battle should be quite interesting to see next year though.

Top Bottom