• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

lherre

Accurate
Well I was in Tokio the 17th and my impressions are that FF13 will sell very very well (not surprise) and ps3 too. I bought 2 copies and a bundle in Shinjuku at 11 in the morning, and I didn't see any problem to get it, I think I need 3 minutes to get it mine. There were a lot of bundles at this hour.

As far I can see the game sold consistently all the time I stood in the shop (Yodobashi).

Later (at 6 o'clock more or less) I was in Akiba and I saw a lot of people buying the game but I didn't see bundles (few of them in a softmap).

Well, we already got the NSMBWii numbers by this time two mondays ago -- and it'll be pretty late in Japan "in a few hours" from now.
I'm slowly losing hope...

Chris1964 said:
Few hours? If we don't get them within a few minutes forget the numbers until Wednesday.

If we don't get anything then there is something fishy going on; either it sold less than expectation or want it to be a surprise. Indication seems to it selling really well, so who knows what's going on.

Edit: WOW

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
slaughterking said:
Well, we already got the NSMBWii numbers by this time two mondays ago -- and it'll be pretty late in Japan "in a few hours" from now.
I'm slowly losing hope...
Well, you should have waited five seconds to post that. :p

Does anyone have the previous FF launches handy? This thread has gotten quite long and I misplaced the list.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, do we think FFXIII actually has a shot at 2 million, or is it likely to be one of the most front loaded FF's ever?

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, do we think FFXIII actually has a shot at 2 million, or is it likely to be one of the most front loaded FF's ever?

I think it's going to be the most at this point. First real FF game since 12 and the holiday season release is a huge factor. I think it might hit 2m based on the sales we just got, but i don't see anything above 2.2m.

Well, that's a stronger first week than the (SE censored) first day told.

If it has FFX legs, it'll do 2m.
If it has FFXII legs, it won't but still will do >1,9m.

So overall, another shipment would be needed.

I'm surprised it outsold FFX-2 too. Would do 2m going by FFX-2 legs too.

FFX-2 1,472,914 (1,960,937)
FFXIII 1,516,532

duckroll

Nirolak said:

We won't know for sure based on first week, but given how high the first week sell-through is to the initial shipment, it's actually possible now for them to ship over 2 million domestically. I never though this would even be a possibility before this.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

FFXIII 1,516,532

First release in a holiday season has to be a factor for it's sales. I don't think it would've sold as much if released any time else.

Road

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

FFXIII 1,516,532
If we take into account many games are more front-loaded on the PS3 and assume FW will be 85% of the LTD, it would reach 1.784 million, which would probably ensure another shipment.

bttb said:
FF13 sold 1,516,532 on launch week.
PS3 HW = 245,406
(Enterbrain/Famitsu)
Hey, nice to see you around here again. =P

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LINK.AGE76 said:
I think it's going to be the most at this point. First real FF game since 12 and the holiday season release is a huge factor.

On the flip side it's launching on a lower userbase than normal though (?) It may be a picker-upper alongside new hardware sales for a little longer as a result. But that depends on PS3 hardware in the longer run I guess.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31/01/97 [PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 2.034.879 / 3.277.291 - 62,09%
11/02/99 [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 2.504.044 / 3.501.588 - 71,51%
07/07/00 [PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) - 1.954.421 / 2.707.301 - 72,19%
19/07/01 [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 1.749.737 / 2.325.215 - 75,25%
13/03/03 [PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1.472.914 / 1.960.937 - 75,11%
16/03/06 [PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 1.840.397 / 2.322.329 - 79,25%
17/12/09 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.516.532 / ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gofreak said:
On the flip side it's launching on a lower userbase than normal though (?) It may be a picker-upper alongside new hardware sales for a little longer as a result. But that depends on PS3 hardware in the longer run I guess.
It also helps that the PS3 has a really strong lineup running into Q1 2010. People who might be interested in FFXIII but haven't bought a PS3 yet have quite a few other incentives coming soon as well.

Aru

Nice sales for FFXIII, wasn't expecting that much on first week.

Now 2 millions is the next (and ultimate I think) goal :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Phantast2k said:
I guess I confused Media Create with NPD where hw bundles are not included.
So is the ps3 in track to beat that 500k number proposed by Yoichi Wada?
In NPD hardware bundles are counted in unit sales actually. It's the software that's in the hardware bundles that's not counted with other software numbers.

duckroll

Phantast2k said:
I guess I confused Media Create with NPD where hw bundles are not included.
So is the ps3 in track to beat that 500k number proposed by Yoichi Wada?

500k in December? It'll need to do over 100k this week (the week after FFXIII) to stand a chance. Possible.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
FFX FW : PS2 LTD attach ratio - 0.31
FFXIII FW : PS3 LTD attach ratio - 0.36

Looks like ol' Wada had it right after all.

edit: Fixed to reflect bttb's changes.

duckroll

S-E's financial results for this year is going to be huge. 4.15 million DQIX, probably at least 2 million FFXIII, and we can expect shipments of over a million for DQVI, and enough KH BbS to be shipped to push it to over 8 million units of software shipped between just 4 titles.

If we count all the other software they have released during the year, I think it could come close to, or surpass 10 million software units shipped in the financial year. Crazy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
S-E's financial results for this year is going to be huge. 4.15 million DQIX, probably at least 2 million FFXIII, and we can expect shipments of over a million for DQVI, and enough KH BbS to be shipped to push it to over 8 million units of software shipped between just 4 titles.

If we count all the other software they have released during the year, I think it could come close to, or surpass 10 million software units shipped in the financial year. Crazy.
I'm still confounded about how they intend to grow next year. I mean, this is just Japan. o_O

Perhaps they have some really impressive stuff just about done.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
duckroll said:

The western release of FFXIII will be within that window too, so you can add another couple million to the total.

duckroll

Sage00 said:
The western release of FFXIII will be within that window too, so you can add another couple million to the total.

Well, if we count western sales, then there's also Arkham Asylum in US and Europe. :p

Nirolak said:
I'm still confounded about how they intend to grow next year. I mean, this is just Japan. o_O

Perhaps they have some really impressive stuff just about done.

They don't have to grow. It'll be less next year, but this will be a strong indication to investors that the company is still very capable of moving software and their brands are all strong. This means that investing in the company or staying as an investor, will reap rewards in the long term regardless of whether the next year is as big or not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
S-E's financial results for this year is going to be huge. 4.15 million DQIX.
Can someone explain what's the deal with DQIX shipments? Previous S-E quarter results (end of September) had it at 4,2M and now they give 4,15M. That ''other site'' must have affected and their own shipment estimations.

Its a shame we didn't get a proper first day figure. Would be useful to see how it fared in the weekend compared to the other titles.

For example we have:
FFⅩ 1st day - 1456k
FFX 1st week - 1750k

FFXII 1st day - 1441k
FFXII 1st week - 1840k

FFXIII 1st day - ¿1000k?
FFXIII 1st week - 1517k

We can see it doesn't fit. First day should have been 1180-1260k by FFX-XII standards.

Top Bottom