• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

KTallguy said:
PSP is getting good titles, and now sales are up in Japan.
FitzOfRage said:
Aren't PSP sales actually down slightly vs. last year?
The last time PSP did better than itself a year prior was... the week of September 4, 2006. In a year-over-year sense, PSP's strongest span was from the week of April 24, 2006 through the week of September 4, 2006.

Oblivion said:
What makes you think that, though?
What I wrote after that. Graphics aren't everything, but they're not nothing. The best way to lose a strong position in the market is to do something stupid which sends potential customers elsewhere. Placing a GameCube 2.25 + waggle versus X360 1.5 + waggle at the same price in 2011 would be stupid and unnecessary. It would put Nintendo in the situation of requiring yet another major unique control difference that's loved worldwide, or having all third party games capable of being multiplatform releases that are better on competitors' hardware for the same price.

Mr Killemgood said:
I guess thats why Nintendo Power had all the pictures of it on the Ultra 64, eh?
If that's the case they either misunderstood or were being intentionally misleading.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mr Killemgood said:
I guess thats why Nintendo Power had all the pictures of it on the Ultra 64, eh?
NP isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The "game" was not running on N64 hardware. It was using SGI workstations.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
uccello said:
The white engine is HD only engine? I thought it was originally planned to be used for the ps2.
White Engine was made for PS3, FFXIII was on PS2 originally but was on a different engine.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
People need to get it through their heads that games going multi-platform do not count as a system LOSING games.

it certainly weakens the platform that had them locked in the first place though surely?

if PS3 were the ONLY place to play , say, play GTA4 for 1 year, then i'm pretty sure that would make a significant difference.

As it stands, games like GTa going multiplatform plays more into MS's hands because they have the price advantage.

I guess it comes down to : Do i want to play GTA/DMC/VF5 + Halo 3, Gears of War, Lost Planet OR do i want to play GTA/DMC/VF5 + FFXIII, FFXIII other bits, GT.

of course that's simplifying out (ignoring HD movie choices and games that will be smash hits that we simply don't know about yet) but yeah - i agree it's not a system losing a game, but for fence sitting casuals, it's going multiparty makes the choice of console an interesting one.

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
It seems like Nintendo will be the only system with exclusives, eventually.

That's true. I mean, just look... Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Godfather...

Avalon

cvxfreak said:
I count multiplatform as a loss.

Only way to explain how RE4 on GC sold half of RE0 while RE4 PS2 sold 500K.

It really depends on the situation... Did GTA's appearing on the Xbox hurt the PS2 at all?

In the PS3's case, yes, it's a bit loss.

cvxfreak

Avalon said:
It really depends on the situation... Did GTA's appearing on the Xbox hurt the PS2 at all?

In the PS3's case, yes, it's a bit loss.

I think what it really hurts is a second/third place platform... in this case, GC and PS3.

ethelred said:
That's true. I mean, just look... Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Godfather...

If you had actually read what he said, you'd notice there was an 'eventually' in there somewhere. What a mystery!

Infernal Monkey said:
If you had actually read what he said, you'd notice there was an 'eventually' in there somewhere. What a mystery!

Don't bother with ethelred. He's always cranky and seems to miss people's points in mediacreate threads :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HEY LITHEN!

I said it earlier but it was completely missed. The Wii currently has a 720k unit lead on the PS3. Do you guys really get that? Do you realize that if this week repeats itself (85k Wii, 21k PS3) that:

1. In 5 weeks the Wii will have a 1 million unit lead? (February 25 2007)
2. In 20 weeks the Wii will have a 2 million unit lead? (June 10 2007)

Does anybody get the significance of the disparity in sales?

PantherLotus said:
HEY LITHEN!

I said it earlier but it was completely missed. The Wii currently has a 720k unit lead on the PS3. Do you guys really get that? Do you realize that if this week repeats itself (85k Wii, 21k PS3) that:

bobbybrown_everylittlestep_45.jpg

AniHawk

PantherLotus said:
HEY LITHEN!

just wait until DMC4 and MGS4.

Datschge

justchris said:
My first thought is, S-E is developing the White Engine for the PS3. FFXIII, XIII VS and White Knight Story are all going to use it.
Since when do you think Level 5 is in bed with SEx?

Re: The numerous "just wait until xx" comments:

Waiting is not something Sony can allow people to do. If they take too long they will lose Marketshare by the boatload on both shores. Success is all about steady releases.

Re: the "White Engine" comments

Didn't Square recently license the Unreal engine? That really strikes me as suspicious. Perhaps Square has lost interest in sinking the money into the development of the White Engine? Just a thought.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
PantherLotus said:
HEY LITHEN!

This should help.

If these sales continue, by the time FFXIII is supposed to be released on the PS3 (end of 2007 LOL) the PS3 will have sold a whopping 1.5 million units ... while the Wii will have only sold 5.5 million systems.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JJConrad said:
This should help.

If these sales continue, by the time FFXIII is supposed to be released on the PS3 (end of 2007 LOL) the PS3 will have sold a whopping 1.5 million units ... while the Wii will have only sold 5.5 million systems.

Well that's the thing.

These estimates are all based on what would happen if things stay the same. But they won't. The Wii will likely see huge weeks from big releases between 150-220k, while big releases on the PS3 will only garner 70-100k for that week. We could be looking at a 4.5-5 million unit lead before Christmas 2007.

Of course we could be jumping the gun a little and making way too much out of the past two weeks, but I suspect our answer is somewhere in between.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's kinda funny that the Wii would have surpassed both the GC and the N64 by the end of the year in Japan with the 5.5million estimate.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've been noticing that people are hanging hopes on VF5. When VF4 came out, about 5% of the PS2 userbase bought it in Japan. That doesn't translate too highly for the current userbase.

mj1108

Agent Icebeezy said:
I've been noticing that people are hanging hopes on VF5. When VF4 came out, about 5% of the PS2 userbase bought it in Japan. That doesn't translate too highly for the current userbase.

Don't worry, once we see that the title doesn't kickstart sales, we'll be hearing:

"Wait until....."
"Just wait until....."
"That wasn't really supposed to help the system, just wait for...."
"Wait for E3/CES/(insert tradeshow here)"

mj1108 said:
Don't worry, once we see that the title doesn't kickstart sales, we'll be hearing:

"Wait until....."
"Just wait until....."
"That wasn't really supposed to help the system, just wait for...."
"Wait for E3/CES/(insert tradeshow here)"
:|
There are no games for PS3 that could interest Japanese people, why would they buy the system without games?

ethelred

Ynos Yrros said:
:|
There are no games for PS3 that could interest Japanese people, why would they buy the system without games?

I guess it was kinda hard for Kennyboy to convince Nintendo to make a PS3 game.

Eteric Rice

The "wait until..." thing sounds like back in 2003 or so with the Gamecube users.

Nintendo definately made the biggest splash this time around. Casual and non-gamers are eating it up, while hardcore gamers are waiting for the bigger titles. Looking at it's line up, it has a good amount of hardcore (Metroid, Smash Bros, Galaxy) stuff, along with a lot of non-traditional titles coming up for the non-gamer.

I honestly can't say I've EVER seen Nintendo come out swinging like this. I've even seen Wii commercials on Adult Swim, American Idol, etc. I've only seen a Gamecube add like 4 times in my life.

Pretty crazy.

Eteric Rice

Oh, sorry, perhaps I should say that Nintendo will probably be the only one to have "many" first party exclusives. I forgot about God of War, etc.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Eteric Rice said:
I think it already is.

Either way, I've always had a thing for Japanese games over our games. So even if the Wii only gets Japanese support, I'll be happy.
I'll be importing most of the games once the Wii freeloader is made available :)

wazoo

Eteric Rice said:
The "wait until..." thing sounds like back in 2003 or so with the Gamecube users.

Nintendo definately made the biggest splash this time around. Casual and non-gamers are eating it up, while hardcore gamers are waiting for the bigger titles. Looking at it's line up, it has a good amount of hardcore (Metroid, Smash Bros, Galaxy) stuff, along with a lot of non-traditional titles coming up for the non-gamer.

I honestly can't say I've EVER seen Nintendo come out swinging like this. I've even seen Wii commercials on Adult Swim, American Idol, etc. I've only seen a Gamecube add like 4 times in my life.

Pretty crazy.

Revenge of the Nintendo fanboys.

In the meantime, Sony is still the only manufacturer to have sold twice 100M consoles. The rest is just pure hope based on 3M consoles sold.

Bo130

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PS2 Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - up to 200.000 (for the week, not first day, if all goes well through the weekend)
NDS Sangokushi Taisen - sold out (high popularity, arcade very popular but shops didn't ask for many units, half the target already sold first day)
NDS Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku - better start than Another Code (good word of mouth)
NDS Picross DS - going to exceed 50.000 slighty first week
PS2 Pachinko Fuyu no Sonata - 80.000 cleared (?)
360 Idolmaster - similar numbers to Seikaiju no Meikyuu last week (20k?)

Did we get any other first day sales other than these? If not,

* WOW @ GTA:SA. Somehow I didn't expect it to pass 100k, not even 50k...
* Sangokushi Taisen - do we know the total for the first shipment?
* Wish Room - I didn't really expect much from this game in Japan. Hopefully it'll continue to sell better than AC, so it'll pass 200k LTD, though.
* I'd expected more from Picross, to be honest. How much did the SNES-games sell compared to the other games on the platform?

Ike said:
A DQ game on the Wii speaks big, even if it is a spin-off.

True, I don't see how it could matter on hardware in Japan, I can't forsee Nintendo meeting demand there anytime soom. Though I predict DQS will be the highest selling third party title of the year and possibly the 3rd or 4th overall selling title on the Wii in 2007 for Japan just behind Wii Sports and Wii play.

Ike

Scalemail Ted said:
True, I don't see how it could matter on hardware in Japan, I can't forsee Nintendo meeting demand there anytime soom. Though I predict DQS will be the highest selling third party title of the year and possibly the 3rd or 4th overall selling title on the Wii in 2007 for Japan just behind Wii Sports and Wii play.
I think Mario Galaxy, SSBB and Big Brain Academy will sell more

Eteric Rice

wazoo said:
Revenge of the Nintendo fanboys.

In the meantime, Sony is still the only manufacturer to have sold twice 100M consoles. The rest is just pure hope based on 3M consoles sold.

Yes, yes, dwell on past victories. :lol

Anyway...

I'm really looking forward to it. I do wish I knew a little more about the gameplay. It can't be just killing things on a rail, lol.

Ike said:
I think Mario Galaxy, SSBB and Big Brain Academy will sell more

Ill concede one of those titles, which is why I said fourth. I think BBA will do better in long term but not necessarily front loaded in sales so it may take longer than 2007 to surpass it. And I predict that SSBB will be released in late Q4 of this year at all, so it too may not reach full sales potential until 2008.

Ike

Eteric Rice said:
Yes, yes, dwell on past victories. :lol

Anyway...

I'm really looking forward to it. I do wish I knew a little more about the gameplay. It can't be just killing things on a rail, lol.
DQ Swords does look a little to linear for comfort but we'll see how it plays out and the sales will still be through the roof in Japan irregardless of the quality of the title.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ike said:
Well, the PS2 is still the console king on the country.

The installed base as little to do with revelance there. It appears that Wii is all the rage and is more in tuned to what the Japanese consumer wants.

Ike

Agent Icebeezy said:
The installed base as little to do with revelance there. It appears that Wii is all the rage and is more in tuned to what the Japanese consumer wants.
I won't argue with thatm Nintendo has really judged the market correctly ever since the DS. Iwata's really turned the company around.

Top Bottom