• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

Bebpo

Banned
EphemeralDream said:
Numbered FFs have always appeared on the top platform in Japan. What do you guys believe is the selling power of FF XIII if PS3 remains at a distant second place (say 33% market share in Japan)?

It should outsell FFIII DS.

Grecco

Bebpo said:
, and despite all the doom and gloom of it being the end of days for the PS3 and no more 3rd party games, no developer has gone "that's it! We are scrapping all our PS3 development and porting everything to Wii and only making Wii games!". .

If we just judge things from what has publically announced then Wii is screwed since very few third partys have announced games for it. So just because they havent publically scrapped em doesnt mean they havent or wont.

I think the Wii might get a FFXIII side story or something like that if it takes off in Japan. But other projects starting from scratch .... Square-Enix will probably give the Wii a truckload of those if it sells well enough. Stuff like Kingdom Hearts, FF7 Remake, DQX, would go to the Wii in that scenario.

Eteric Rice

The PS3 is going to get XIII weather the PS3 sells like shit or not. I think it would cost them a lot more money to go back and downgrade everything for the Wii.

I do expect to see some spin off titles that will do well. If Crystal Chronicles can prove to be a good single player game, as well as a good multiplayer one, I'd have no problem with buying it.

Nintendo's first and second party stuff can sustain them for this year, most likely. It's next year that the third parties will truely have to step up to the plate. With more and more developers announcing support for the Wii every day, it sounds (so far) like the Wii will have some stuff next year especially.

Hero

Let's all listen to Bebpo seriously. After all, his Xbox 360 being revitalized in Japan because of Blue Dragon was correct. All those Japanese third party publishers are going to cancel their PS3 games for 360. Just wait.

Bebpo

Banned
Hero said:
Let's all listen to Bebpo seriously. After all, his Xbox 360 being revitalized in Japan because of Blue Dragon was correct. All those Japanese third party publishers are going to cancel their PS3 games for 360. Just wait.

So just because Blue Dragon didn't cause the X360 to sell a million systems, and because the X360 has not taken the lead in Japan and become the best selling next-gen system of the three with support 3x greater than any of its opponents like I said it would. Just because of a little thing like that, you do not listen to the truth about what is going to happen in 2007/2008?

cvxfreak said:
Big accomplishment.

I know. I wish more 3rd parties could sell better than FFIII DS!

Avalon

Hero said:

If you are so sure he is wrong, why not refute him?

cvxfreak

Avalon said:
How much did it end up doing?

I think it's at 970K now. I think it will stop selling significantly at about 1.1 Million but a re-release will bring it back up in due time.

If FFXIII is the first original FF not to sell 2 Million copies since FFIV (which I believe is above 2M if you combine the PSone and SFC versions but not GBA version) I won't be in the least bit surprised.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Eteric Rice said:
The PS3 is going to get XIII weather the PS3 sells like shit or not.
Probably not. If the Wii continues to outsell the PS3 like it is then the game currently known as FFXIII will be delayed and delayed and then likely turned into a side-story. If S-E puts the game on the wrong system, it could cost them millions in unit sales, billions of yen, and jeopordize the reputation & future of the series ... It'll be worth it to them to start over.

The same is true for other third parties. They are not going to wait a year and hope Sony turns things around. They are going to be determining where their resources are going to be focused very soon. If the PS3's sales don't meet their expectations they will delay their games until it does ... and if it still doesn't they may pulling advertising money or even shelve the title altogether. When this happens a void will be created that won't be easily filled. Even if the PS3 hardware sales recover at the end of this year, the games that were lost between now and then will only drag the system back to where it is now. It is a no-win situation to wait.

Look at what happened to the DS. Most third parties bet on the PSP and the DSs line-up suffered terrible in the first few months. It took a solid year of the DS kicking the PSP's ass before we started to see the DS's third party support begin to surpass the PSP's. Third parties aren't waiting with the Wii. They've been increasing their support since E3. We are already seeing delays on many PS3 projects and hearing rumors of companies reducing support. If these sales continue more and more publishers will be doing the same. But unlike the DS, there doesn't appear to be much confidence in Sony's first party line-up carrying the system.

Bottom line is, Sony can not wait for someone else to rescue their system. They have to act now to rebuild their image and make the public want to buy the PS3. That means better advertising, price drops, big announcements/money-hats, better support, more downloadable games, better use of the system's features, etc... This is the PS3's golden hour... The more time that passes the harder it will be to recover.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JJConrad said:
Probably not. If the Wii continues to outsell the PS3 like it is then the game currently known as FFXIII will be delayed and delayed and then likely turned into a side-story.

There is absolutely not even a tiny chance of this happening.

RaijinFY

cvxfreak said:
If FFXIII is the first original FF not to sell 2 Million copies since FFIV (which I believe is above 2M if you combine the PSone and SFC versions but not GBA version) I won't be in the least bit surprised.

Why just not stick with the SNES numbers only, unless you want a terrible headache? :p

1.4m for FFIV. The end! :lol

Eteric Rice

That reminds me. Final Fantasy VI is coming out on the GBA in a few days... I MUST own it.

Anyway, yeah, Final Fantasy XIII will remain on the PS3. I can see other franchises going to the Wii, though. Stuff like the main DragonQuest series (after IX), Kingdom Hearts, etc, maybe.

Would be interesting to see a Wii version of "It's a Wonderful World," or some new IP. That would be nice.

other MediaCreate Numbers from 2ch

http://game11.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1169833412/37/

11 DS マリ 27000 4030000 98
15 DS 茶 19000 19000 49
16 DS マカ 19000 2016000 98
19 DS 200万 16000 26200089
22 DS サプ 15000 103000 89
26 Wii トワ 14000 356000 85
35 DS ます 9000 112000 89
36 DS 教育 8800 87000 90
40 Wii スパ 8000 86000 64
43 DS III 6500 970000 89
46 DS 風来 5100 152000 83
48 PSP ユビ 5100 98000 65
68 Wii エレ 3500 38000 75
84 PS3 ア4 2500 69000 74
90 DS ☆ 2300 95000 94
92 Wii パン 2200 46000 66
94 DS アッ 2200 42000 83

Kuramu

Thought i'd try my hand at a chart. I like to see the weight of positions.
famitsu_01_8-14_07.gif

edit: woops. fixed due to below comments. thanks guys. easy mistake. I thought it was 2007 and PS3 was out already

wsippel

Banned
Bebpo said:
Though I think it's worth noting, that no one working on the PS3 has jumped ship and abandoned the PS3 yet. So unless 90% of the teams look at the weekly sales and cancel their current PS3 games instead of just finishing and releasing them, PS3 will have some 3rd party stuff coming out in the 2nd half of 2007 or sometime in 2008.
From Software canned both their PS3 projects in June I believe, and announced two Wii projects in September, no?

justchris

Bebpo said:
People need to get it through their heads that games going multi-platform do not count as a system LOSING games. VF5/DMC4/MGS4/whatever, it's not like these games are going to sell on X360 in JAPAN, so if Japanese gamers want them they're going to buy a PS3.

DQIX was never listed as a PS3 game. I'm saying there were over 100 third party PS3 games in development for the PS3 as of last May, and despite all the doom and gloom of it being the end of days for the PS3 and no more 3rd party games, no developer has gone "that's it! We are scrapping all our PS3 development and porting everything to Wii and only making Wii games!". These games are still going to come out on PS3, so PS3 will still have 3rd party games in 2007/2008 between the big hitters. Even if 25% of them do move their games to Wii, that'd still be 75 games for PS3. It'd take 75% of these games moved to Wii to really put the PS3 in a world of hurt during late 2007 and early 2008.

You're partially right, but you're ignoring that developers have a finite number of resources. They don't have to cancel a game outright, they can cut the devteam for a game by three quarters, and move those people into Wii or 360 development. That means those games may still come out, but they'll be hugely delayed. That means that those games may end up coming too late for the PS3.

JJConrad said:
Probably not. If the Wii continues to outsell the PS3 like it is then the game currently known as FFXIII will be delayed and delayed and then likely turned into a side-story. If S-E puts the game on the wrong system, it could cost them millions in unit sales, billions of yen, and jeopordize the reputation & future of the series ... It'll be worth it to them to start over.

No, that's not going to happen. Well...okay, I was certain of that until I thought of something, but I'll go with my first thought, then explain my second one.

My first thought is, S-E is developing the White Engine for the PS3. FFXIII, XIII VS and White Knight Story are all going to use it. Once the engine is built, it's not sensible for them to just discard all that work. Of course, this depends on how far they are into building the engine, and building FFXIII. I expect FFXIII to be a 2008 game, but I still think they're too far into it to abandon it just now. XIII VS, on the other hand, may end up not being a PS3 game at all, FFXIII may be the last PS3 FF for a couple of years if Sony really does that badly.

Of course, my second thought was that S-E just licensed the unreal 3 engine, which gives them a lot more leeway to cancel/shuffle projects. So now I'm not so certain FFXIII is a guaranteed PS3 game.

Xavien

omg rite said:
There is absolutely not even a tiny chance of this happening.

Remind me, what was the chances of Dragon Quest IX being on DS?

The point is, do not presume anything, since we are in strange times. I wouldn't be surprised that if Wii consistently outsells PS3 for the next year that FF XIII proper will be on Wii and a side-story on the PS3.

Especially considering Square-Enix's unpredictable nature recently and now that they are back with Nintendo after 10 years.

Eteric Rice

Xavien said:
Remind me, what was the chances of Dragon Quest IX being on DS?

The point is, do not presume anything, since we are in strange times. I wouldn't be surprised that if Wii consistently outsells PS3 for the next year that FF XIII proper will be on Wii and a side-story on the PS3.

Especially considering Square-Enix's unpredictable nature recently and now that they are back with Nintendo after 10 years.

The difference is, that they hadn't started DQIX on the PSP, and suddenly switched platforms. SE has invested millions in the white engine, and FFXIII for the PS3. I doubt it's going to switch now.

Now, FFXIV is possible.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's an interesting scenario, really. Square has never been in the position of supporting anyone other than the market leader. Obviously, they aren't going to stop development of FFXIII at this stage, but will they switch the series over to the Wii if things continue like this?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:
The difference is, that they hadn't started DQIX on the PSP, and suddenly switched platforms. SE has invested millions in the white engine, and FFXIII for the PS3. I doubt it's going to switch now.

Now, FFXIV is possible.
Exactly, if anything they will make it multi-platform (I'm sure MS will try to talk S-E into this depending on PS3 sales over the next year) but I doubt it. They won't spend all that money to simply put the product on Wii.

wsippel

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Now, FFXIV is possible.
The thing is, we have no idea how scalable the White Engine is. It might have been designed with Wii in mind, anyway. It's entirely possible that FF:CC2 uses the very same engine, single-threaded, with a different renderer.

It's also important to note that the development of FFXIII is still in it's infancy. They have some designs, parts of the scenario, and a short trailer/ tech demo - it wouldn't be that hard or expensive to switch the platform now. They could still use most of the assets they produced. Especially if White works on Wii.

Releasing FFXIII on PS3 and FFXIV on Wii sounds like the most stupid of all possible options, though... ;)

Eteric Rice

wsippel said:
Releasing FFXIII on PS3 and FFXIV on Wii sounds like the most stupid of all possible options, though... ;)

These ARE the same people who had Final Fantasy VI on the SNES, and then VII on the Playstation. :D

wsippel

Banned
ethelred said:
Why not? Just because id or Epic didn't create a scalable engine? They didn't even consider Wii while designing their engines. The Source engine for example is very powerful in it's latest incarnation, and still runs on pretty much everything, probably including graphic calculators... ;)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Eteric Rice said:
These ARE the same people who had Final Fantasy VI on the SNES, and then VII on the Playstation. :D
Yeah, but that was also two different generations, which is where I was going with my point. Square has never switched console support in the middle of a generation. Would they start now? Would it be the right move?

wsippel

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, but they didn't switch platforms during a generation, they did switch between two generations...

SleazyC

wsippel said:
The thing is, we have no idea how scalable the White Engine is. It might have been designed with Wii in mind, anyway. It's entirely possible that FF:CC2 uses the very same engine, single-threaded, with a different renderer.
I'm not sure on how accurate I may be but I'm pretty sure that the White Engine was designed in mind for HD-quality output. Now of course it may be scalable but I wouldn't bet a lot that it was made as a cross-platform engine. My reasoning being the recent licensing of the Unreal 3 engine pointing towards the fact that the White Engine is specifically tailored for PS3.

ethelred

wsippel said:
Why not? Just because id or Epic didn't create a scalable engine? They didn't even consider Wii while designing their engines. The Source engine for example is very powerful in it's latest incarnation, and still runs on pretty much everything, probably including graphic calculators... ;)

What color is the sky in your world?

Is it purple? I like purple.

Avalon

Eteric Rice said:

Not to mention, Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2 (console) and Dragon Quest IX on the DS (handheld).

wsippel said:

I don't think that's even possible considering the PS3's very unique architecture. SE has always done well with hardware, so I'm sure they are utilizing the PS3 better then most, which would make it harder to port.

wsippel said:

Isn't Epics new engine not even fully optimized for the PS3?

Eteric Rice

Wasn't Final Fantasy VII originally on the N64? I could have sworn I had seen screenshots of it before. I know they ditched it due to Nintedo's cart usage, though.

wsippel

Banned
SleazyC said:
I'm not sure on how accurate I may be but I'm pretty sure that the White Engine was designed in mind for HD-quality output. Now of course it may be scalable but I wouldn't bet a lot that it was made as a cross-platform engine. My reasoning being the recent licensing of the Unreal 3 engine pointing towards the fact that the White Engine is specifically tailored for PS3.
Possible. Or maybe White simply isn't suited for any genre? Or maybe it's optimized for all system but Xbox360?

Graphics are only a small part of an engine, anyway. There's much more to it, like physics, scripting, AI, data streaming, memory management, sound...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Eteric Rice said:
Wasn't Final Fantasy VII originally on the N64? I could have sworn I had seen screenshots of it before. I know they ditched it due to Nintedo's cart usage, though.
That was a tech demo of FFVI, and it wasn't even running on N64 hardware.

wsippel

Banned
Avalon said:
I don't think that's even possible considering the PS3's very unique architecture. SE has always done well with hardware, so I'm sure they are utilizing the PS3 better then most, which would make it harder to port.
Well, depends on the design of the engine. It is hard, but entirely possible to create an application that is highly scalable and optimized for pretty much anything. The ultimate example would be the Linux kernel, of course. Not really a game engine, sure, but you get the point I think? It's much more complicated than any game engine, highly optimized on every platform it supports, and it supports quite a few platforms - including PS3 and, in theory, Wii.

Isn't Epics new engine not even fully optimized for the PS3?
I think so. But that's not the point. The engine really was designed with high-performance systems in mind, and nothing else. Scalability wasn't really a factor.

Top Bottom