• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
ArtePiazza, Genius Sonority, Artoon, Matrix, h.a.n.d., <insert lesser known developer here>.

There are always candidates. DQ is bigger than any single developer, and no one would have guessed Level 5 would be developing DQ games before they were chosen anyway.
what is genius sonority doing anyway...

they did not make any pokemon colloseum games on the Wii (battle revolution is not a fullblown RPG like collosseum or XD)

farnham

Banned
distantmantra said:
:lol Koei's expecations for that title are ridiculous. I figure it will do 250k at the very most.
i dont think fist of the north star is as popular as gundam... but then again fist of the north star pachinko sold over 1 million copies on the ps2...

maybe it will do something like 500k..

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
frankie_baby said:
i'm pretty sure someone said it was today, must've been very very uneventful

bttb said it was the 14th, but I imagine a retailer meeting would have actually produced retail dates, so who knows.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
schuelma said:
bttb said it was the 14th, but I imagine a retailer meeting would have actually produced retail dates, so who knows.
You have to release games to need retail dates ::smuglook.gif::

wsippel

Banned
farnham said:
what is genius sonority doing anyway...

they did not make any pokemon colloseum games on the Wii (battle revolution is not a fullblown RPG like collosseum or XD)
They actually haven't released a single console game since 2007, and nothing at all since 2008 (100 Classic Book Collection). Which is rather odd. They usually released a console title every other year, and two console titles in 2007 alone.

wsippel said:
They actually haven't released a single console game since 2007, and nothing at all since 2008 (100 Classic Book Collection). Which is rather odd. They usually released a console title every other year, and two console titles in 2007 alone.

obviously doing a VERY big game then

Refugio

wsippel said:

They also released a Tinker Bell DS game in 2008.

donny2112

grandjedi6 said:
Crisis Core, one of the PSP's better selling games, has only managed to do 708k.

If you're talking about Japanese sales, I think you got that number reversed. If you're talking about U.S. sales, I thought SE showed more NA sales for the game than that.

wsippel

Banned
frankie_baby said:
Or they have been shut down... :lol

Well, it seems they're working on some project since 2008, and I guess it won't be a Nintendo published title. If it wasn't canceled, we might see something later this year.

selig

Banned
frankie_baby said:

well, it takes time to model the over 500 pokemon for a new pokemon statdium :(

But maybe they teamed up with GameFreaks, working on a home console-Pokemon game. Remember that Gamefreaks annonce of searching 3d modelers?

Datschge

selig said:
But saying that you cant compare a franchise because of it being front loaded while the other one depends on its legs, was just a silly way to avoid a clear answer.
But the issue isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be. KH is further ahead in the milking with what we can see now a stable lower size of repeated franchise buyers, while I11 is only at its second entry which comes in two versions to boost the sales some more through double dippings. I11 2 already surpasses all the post KH2 releases, but KH2 itself is still far ahead (especially when including its case of double dipping, Final Mix+) and we don't know what kind of sales a KH3 would do. So the difference boils down to front loaded versus legs which I consequently touched upon in my post. I still don't see where's the spin.

selig said:
the smartest answer would have been "we´ll see".
That would make for a great sales age thread were everyone keeps saying "we will see". :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
donny2112 said:
If you're talking about Japanese sales, I think you got that number reversed. If you're talking about U.S. sales, I thought SE showed more NA sales for the game than that.
I'm talking about US sales, via the NPD leak from last January. The number can't be that off considering Square Enix had only shipped 720k to NA by the end of March 2009. Indeed, the NPD number is likely overating its sales as even Square Enix doesn't believe it sold that much.

Onesimos

Something I noticed about the DSi/DSi LL sales: it seems that the DSi LL is not canibalizing the DSi sales, and in fact increasing DSi sales in general. Nintendo was wise to expand the DSi demographics by releasing the DSi LL. Has anyone compared DSi LL sales to DSi sales in their first few months?

Anyway, if New Super Mario Bros. has the "legs" of Tomodachi Collection (does not drop below 50,000 copies a week), it will reach four million copies in no time.

dolemite

I can't believe how close the Wii and PS3 numbers are. Won't be surprised if they flip places over the next couple of weeks.

Monster Hunter 3 at 44.

wsippel said:
Or they have been shut down... :lol

Well, it seems they're working on some project since 2008, and I guess it won't be a Nintendo published title. If it wasn't canceled, we might see something later this year.

Do tell. This could be a good thing if it's not Nintendo published, I'd like to see them actually doing an original RPG for the Wii. I enjoyed Colosseum and XD (PBR was pretty boring and was a framerate nightmare), but I want them to do something original.

Mistwalker game perhaps?

jay

gerg said:
So... nothing about Nintendo's retailer meeting, or is that next week?

Just because Nintendo doesn't announce anything doesn't mean they didn't announce games.

Am I doing this right?

ZoddGutts

dolemite said:
I can't believe how close the Wii and PS3 numbers are. Won't be surprised if they flip places over the next couple of weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised either there really isn't anything coming out for the Wii for the next 3 months that would keep the Wii hardware sales up, unless anyone thinks that NSMB Wii will help the wii keep selling for the next 3 or so months... While the PS3 has several titles that will give it a bit of a bump and will hold PS3 hardware sales up.

Spiegel

Road said:
76.25% sell-through for BBS => 585,000 shipment.

Not bad for only two days but I was expecting a higher sell-through after reading about stock problems last Monday. It'll end selling 800-900k LTD after all.

I guess no non-MH game will end selling 1M+ if Agito XIII can't make it

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ZoddGutts said:
Wouldn't be surprised either there really isn't anything coming out for the Wii for the next 3 months that would keep the Wii hardware sales up, unless anyone thinks that NSMB Wii will help the wii keep selling for the next 3 or so months... While the PS3 has several titles that will give it a bit of a bump and will hold PS3 hardware sales up.
And those are?

I can only think of one.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Not bad for only two days but I was expecting a higher sell-through after reading about stock problems last Monday. It'll end selling 800-900k LTD after all.

I guess no non-MH game will end selling 1M+ if Agito XIII can't make it

I would be shocked if Agito didn't make it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
ZoddGutts said:

Yeah, but it's the same situation as with the other times this has happened.

The Wii has a large lead, and it will bounce back when it can be repurchased like the PS3. It creates a lot of temporary drama, it's the same cycle all over again.

ZoddGutts

Brazil said:
And those are?

I can only think of one.

1/28 Ar Toncelico III and End of Eternity. The ArT series had done around 100k and EoE will likely do above 200k ltd. A good combo release that will help PS3 hardware sales though I'm not expecting a big bump but a bit up a bump nevertheless. Doubt Last Rebellion will do much.

2/04 Star Ocean 4 could end up bumping up the PS3 hardware sales if it ends up being a success like Tales of Vesperia was.

2/18 Sangoku Musou Online: Kamishou Ranbu. The Musou games have sold well.

3/18 Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) will do very well.

03/25 Hokuto Musou. Koei is expecting it to sell 500k but even if it does half of that still pretty good sales will give the PS3 a bit of bump. Not expecting much from GoW 3, could do 50k+.

The only big bump I see will be from Ryu ga Gotoku 4. But overall a good amount of PS3 release games that will help the PS3 not fall below 25k or even 30k for the next 2 or so months.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ZoddGutts said:
1/28 Ar Toncelico III and End of Eternity. The ArT series had done around 100k and EoE will likely do above 200k ltd. A good combo release that will help PS3 hardware sales though I'm not expecting a big bump but a bit up a bump nevertheless. Doubt Last Rebellion will do much.

2/04 Star Ocean 4 could end up bumping up the PS3 hardware sales if it ends up being a success like Tales of Vesperia was.

2/18 Sangoku Musou Online: Kamishou Ranbu. The Musou games have sold well.

3/18 Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) will do very well.

03/25 Hokuto Musou. Koei is expecting it to sell 500k but even if it does half of that still pretty good sales will give the PS3 a bit of bump. Not expecting much from GoW 3, could do 50k+.

The only big bump I see will be from Ryu ga Gotoku 4. But overall a good amount of PS3 release games that will help the PS3 not fall below 25k or even 30k for the next 2 or so months.
Ok, you're right, :lol . The only one I had on my mind was Ar Tonelico III.

I wasn't considering March releases, though.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
I would be shocked if Agito didn't make it.

Is Agito going to be a "traditional" RPG? Or, basically a portable game with FFXIII's gameplay? If so, then making it to 1 Million might happen. If it's got some kind of derivative "non-mainline" gameplay, like Crisis Core or Revenant Wings (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong), then there's a chance it may not make it.

Even FFIII barely made it, and it almost got screwed by stock shortages.

ZoddGutts

Brazil said:
Ok, you're right, :lol . The only one I had on my mind was Ar Tonelico III.

I wasn't considering March releases, though.

There was also GT5 for late march but we know what happened to that game. sigh

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Is Agito going to be a "traditional" RPG? Or, basically a portable game with FFXIII's gameplay? If so, then making it to 1 Million might happen. If it's got some kind of derivative "non-mainline" gameplay, like Crisis Core or Revenant Wings (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong), then there's a chance it may not make it.

Even FFIII barely made it, and it almost got screwed by stock shortages.

It depends on what you mean by "traditional" RPG. What we do know so far is that Agito XIII is going to be the most political and fantasy driven in terms of world setting, out of all the 3 XIII games. Of course, the storyline and world are totally original and unique. It is not going to use FFXIII's gameplay or plot at all. The game uses a very evolved form of the Crisis Core battle engine, this time supporting up to 3 characters in a party. There will be a world map, the game is quest driven, and it will support up to 3 players over ad-hoc and infrastructure. There is also a sort of job system with 13 classes to choose from, and there will be character customization, etc. It's basically the FF version of MHP and PSP.

Good decision but i don't know how much it will help in sales.
Reginleiv is a niche title and Cero D won't help so much, considering the Wii userbase.
It's important to see if Nintendo will push it a little on tv commercial, maybe during evening time when usually you can find PS3 or 360 commercials.

farnham

Banned
selig said:
well, it takes time to model the over 500 pokemon for a new pokemon statdium :(

But maybe they teamed up with GameFreaks, working on a home console-Pokemon game. Remember that Gamefreaks annonce of searching 3d modelers?
the models in pokemon battle revolution are pretty rad already

selig

Banned
btw, question i wanted to ask before: does famitsu count/estimate ALL sales for their year-sales chart, or only the sales that have been reported in the top50? Meaning, if a game dips below the top50, being off-chart, won´t its sales be considered?

duckroll

selig said:
btw, question i wanted to ask before: does famitsu count/estimate ALL sales for their year-sales chart, or only the sales that have been reported in the top50? Meaning, if a game dips below the top50, being off-chart, won´t its sales be considered?

All sales are tracked. This is a business for Enterbrain and Media Create, not some listing to get fans all excited. Companies and publications pay money to subscribe to comprehensive data and listings beyond what is made public.

Top Bottom