• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
Darkside Chronicles sold out on Amazon JP. Maybe it'll sell very high!

I want to believe.
Well, I think it will at least sell better than it opened in the U.S.

Not that doing so is a very high bar, but still.

Kishgal

Banned
farnham said:
DQ7 on DS would mean that its portable.. that alone is an improvement in its own right isnt it..

i mean Enix ported DQ3 on the gameboy color.. and that is arguably worse then DQ 3 on NES and most definately worse then DQ 3 on the SNES
No, I don't think so at all.

DQ3 GBC is a port of the SNES remake. It isn't anywhere close to the NES version, and I think that's sort of a crazy assertion. If you really think so, you should probably try comparing them directly. I'd post some comparisons, but I'm posting from my phone. Yes, it is a downgrade from the SNES one, but so is DQ5 DS from the PS2 version. The GBC is significantly more powerful tha the NES, and it shows in the port. The graphics are much more detailed, it has all of the balance tweaks and extras, and even the music is higher quality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GBC isn't really that much more powerful than an NES, it's just that programming tools advance so much when you're comparing a console to one that is ten years newer.

Takao

Banned
Nirolak said:
I didn't say they would be quality exclusives. :p

I can't figure out why else he's fawning over the market so much and mentioning Natal eighty times however, unless he just wants to make himself look ridiculous when they have zero support for Japan this year again.

I mean, it's possible they really have nothing again, but you'd think they'd try to bury that under the rug instead of pointing out how great they think the Japanese market is and how they're completely failing here. This seems a bit foreshadowing of something at least.

I guess we'll find out in about five months though.

I'm almost certain Hudson will lap up Natal. Other then that? Mistwalker? :lol

But Gem/Wand/
Disco Dildo
will be more successful in Japan. Assuming a new Minna No Golf, and a Pipposaru/Ape Escape could interest Japan again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Takao said:
I'm almost certain Hudson will lap up Natal. Other then that? Mistwalker? :lol

But Gem/Wand/
Disco Dildo
will be more successful in Japan. Assuming a new Minna No Golf, and a Pipposaru/Ape Escape could interest Japan again.
To be entirely fair we know at least Capcom is making a ground up Natal game, so it's not *that* terrible. :p

I was just wondering based on his statements if we thought they managed to get more than Capcom, but judging by the reaction here, I'm assuming the answer is no.

Takao

Banned
Nirolak said:
To be entirely fair we know at least Capcom is making a ground up Natal game, so it's not *that* terrible. :p

I was just wondering based on his statements if we thought they managed to get more than Capcom, but judging by the reaction here, I'm assuming the answer is no.

Considering how recent Capcom revitilizations of old, dormant franchises have faired outside of Street Fighter (which wasn't really all that dormant), I'm not sure how that will do for Natal.

Square Enix might throw some outsourced stuff, but even then, that's doubtful, and I'd kind of expect it to be on multiple platforms.

Kishgal

Banned
Man God said:
GBC isn't really that much more powerful than an NES, it's just that programming tools advance so much when you're comparing a console to one that is ten years newer.
I know that as far as clock speed itself is concerned, they're not that different, but it's tough to compare these things directly since there's more to it than that. The GBC does have way more RAM/VRAM though. And I know the GBC is supposed to be twice as powerful as the GB. Either way, the power of the platform itself is irrelevant since it's easy to see how much of an upgrade the GBC version of DQ3 is over the NES version just by playing it.

Here's the comparisons I said I'd post. Not particularly good ones, but they were easy since they were at the start of the game. The GBC version is a dramatically better-looking game, though.

Sorry for derailing the thread, as this definitely isn't the place to discuss this.

Nirolak said:
My guess would be they wanted to see how a digital only handheld would go over if they ever tried to release one in the future.

If nothing else, it did manage to get them a lot more games on PSN than they probably would have been able to otherwise.

Please note, I'm not defending the PSPgo here. I think it's a gigantic failure, but I'm just speculating on their reasoning.

Same thought here. Think about the next PSP. Even if it still has a drive or uses some kind of media to hold the game data, it is highly UNLIKELY that it will still support UMD. Digitizing the PSP game library would be the simplest way to ensure backward compatibility, and PSP Go gave Sony the incentive to begin the process.

Oxx

What's the word on the street regarding DQVI DS?

Are people excited? Will it do significantly better than IV and V?

ethelred

Oxx said:
What's the word on the street regarding DQVI DS?

Are people excited? Will it do significantly better than IV and V?

It's not going to do drastically better. The DS ports of the 4/5 remakes sold fairly close to the first run remakes, all things considered -- it's not like 6 getting its first remake is going to lead do hugely increased sales over what 4 and 5 saw. Looking at the sales of the original remakes for the series going all the way back, I think you're likely to see something like 1.5 million instead of 1.2. Larger, but not by that much.

justchris

ethelred said:
It's not going to do drastically better. The DS ports of the 4/5 remakes sold fairly close to the first run remakes, all things considered -- it's not like 6 getting its first remake is going to lead do hugely increased sales over what 4 and 5 saw. Looking at the sales of the original remakes for the series going all the way back, I think you're likely to see something like 1.5 million instead of 1.2. Larger, but not by that much.

You don't think DQ 9 being one of the best selling in the series (has it beat out 7 yet?) will have any affect on 6R's sales?

mclem

Nirolak said:
Normally I wouldn't find this especially newsworthy, but the way he talks about things in this interview makes me think that Microsoft signed up a lot of Japanese exclusives for Natal.
One thing has just struck me about Natal: Surely you can't port its games to anything? You might be able to port games between PS3 wand and Wii with a decent scalable engine since the core control scheme is very similar but to/from Natal would be a very different kettle of fish.

Of course, I very much doubt there will *be* porting between Wand and Wii, but it's just crossed my mind that the difference between the systems has meant that that's the only multiplatform release option.

Road

All I know is that the 28th is a RPGs fest. Games being released that day (not extensive list):

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix)
[PS3] End of Eternity (Sega)
[PS3] Ar Tonelico 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
[PS3] Last Rebellion (Nippon Ichi)

Not only the last three will have to compete with themselves for the PS3 owners' attention, they'll have to compete with DQVI. And SO4 comes out the week after.

4 JRPGs for the PS3 in two weeks (7 JRPGs were launched in 2009 for the system), then wait for WKC2, FFXIV and FFVsXIII (and random announcements in Famitsu) god knows when.

onken

Road said:
All I know is that the 28th is a RPGs fest. Games being released that day (not extensive list):

Not only the last three will have to compete with themselves for the PS3 owners' attention, they'll have to compete with DQVI. And SO4 comes out the week after.

4 JRPGs for the PS3 in two weeks (7 JRPGs were launched in 2009 for the system), then wait for WKC2, FFXIV and FFVsXIII (and random announcements in Famitsu) god knows when.

Insane. You can kind of understand the first 2 accidentally deciding the same day, but the 3rd/4th titles have got no damn excuse.

farnham said:
VII seems to be a perfect candidate for a new DS release..

DQ games don't get ports of the original release, they get remakes on more capable hardware with added content. Y'all really need to drill on this 'til you can repeat it when prompted. :lol

justchris said:
It's massive sales, coupled with DS' broad audience might have gotten new fans into the series.
DQ9 is big, but it's not like the series wasn't already huge and universally known. We're talking about it going from HUGE to HUGE+10%.

In fact, one might actually make the complete opposite argument. That is, DQ9 isn't huger in a way that will cause a new remake to sell especially well, but that DQ9 is huger because it was already on a system where new people got into the already-existing remakes that sold especially well.

cvxfreak

People who bought DQIX as their first DQ might indeed end up getting DQVI, but then I think they're just as likely to buy the discounted IV/V remakes instead when those hit in a few weeks.

But even then, DQVI has other things going for it that dilute the ability of one to measure DQVI's ability to pull in first time DQIX gamers. Either way, the game to beat would be DQV on PS2.

duckroll

Road said:

Honestly, I don't think those 4 games will eat into each other in any substantial way. Sure, they're all RPGs "competiting" for sales, but if you actually look at the games themselves, here's what you get:

DQVI - Built-in fanbase, long standing series with high popularity.

EoE - New IP, more western in character and gameplay design, will appeal to people who still have hope for tri-Ace or people interested in a gun driven RPG.

AT3 - Built-in fanbase, not a huge franchise, but fans will be dedicated enough to not pass on it just because of "too many releases".

Last Rebellion - Will not sell much at all. Low marketing, dodgy developer, N1 has no real sales draw outside of Disgaea these days.

So therefore, out of the 4 games, the only one likely to suffer directly is EoE. As a new IP, it might not be able to maximize interest because there are already people who will definitely buy DQVI and AT3, within these groups if there are people who are interested in EoE as well, they will have to either buy another game in the same week, or pass on it. Last Rebellion will not gain or lose any significant sales regardless, it's going to tank.

cvxfreak said:
Darkside Chronicles sold out on Amazon JP. Maybe it'll sell very high!

I hope that the numbers will be good but it will be unfair to compare Darkside Chronicles numbers with RE5 numbers...

Do you know when Famitsu top 30 (Jan 4-10) will be available on Famitsu magazine?

Raggy

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Does anyone have a save/cache of the Dengeki Top 20 page for the week starting December 21? The one I saved on January 6 was for the week starting December 14 and I've saved two since then for the weeks of December 28 and January 4, so the middle one must've been up short enough I missed.

I like saving these pages as primary sources. I recently lost a lot I'd saved, though, so I'll have to get in the habit of backing up and sharing them online more often.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19205006&postcount=324

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week there are at least 3 big releases with an ultra big one. Anyone else agrees we make predictions for this week?

This week NSMBW 99% passed the 3 million mark and Famitsu didn't bother to report it.

Spiegel

Dengeki PS sales Jan. 4 - Jan. 10, 2010:

01. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix) - 510,754 / 510,754
02. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 40,026 / 1,800,936
03. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 27,495 / 542,171
04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom) - 23,772 / 75,107
05. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 18,094 / 179,122
06. [PS3] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 15,631 / 189,467
07. [PSP] Gundam VS. Gundam NEXT PLUS (Namco Bandai) - 13,506 / 398,092
08. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2010 (KONAMI) - 11,038 / 418,858
09. [PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate 3 (Namco Bandai) - 9,920 / 172,867
10. [PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - 8,261 / 296,777

http://dps.dengeki.com/2010/01/18/p10074/

cvxfreak

Dengeki's numbers are pretty interesting.

Gran Turismo is #49 on MC's charts, which would imply that everything from Graces to MH3 sold above 8,261 or whatever equivalent on MC's charts.

But Graces is at 7,700 on MC's charts. Funny.

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki's numbers are pretty interesting.

Gran Turismo is #49 on MC's charts, which would imply that everything from Graces to MH3 sold above 8,261 or whatever equivalent on MC's charts.

But Graces is at 7,700 on MC's charts. Funny.

Adjusted remember?

And what were Dengeki's numbers last week?

cvxfreak

Dengeki's numbers are a few posts above.

BTW, FFXIII used copies down to ¥4980. Just saw a picture from DCharlie. You think SE would have pursued a means to keep the game in people's homes after what we saw with DQIX, which I haven't noticed flooding used game shops so much.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki's numbers are a few posts above.

BTW, FFXIII used copies down to ¥4980. Just saw a picture from DCharlie. You think SE would have pursued a means to keep the game in people's homes after what we saw with DQIX, which I haven't noticed flooding used game shops so much.

DQIX was also helped by the price I would imagine. If DQIX started at 6800yen or 7800yen, I seriously doubt it would have performed as it has. DQVII was 7800yen and DQVIII was 8800yen, so it's not like there wasn't precedence for it. For FFXIII they decided to stick with the same strategy as FFX and FFXII, so basically you have a game which is over 30 dollars more than DQIX. Since they were going in that direction, I pretty sure the intention was to get as many sales as possible during the front load period by having a huge hardware push + tons of marketing and ads to push the CG.

Road

duckroll said:
Honestly, I don't think those 4 games will eat into each other in any substantial way. Sure, they're all RPGs "competiting" for sales, but if you actually look at the games themselves, here's what you get:

DQVI - Built-in fanbase, long standing series with high popularity.

EoE - New IP, more western in character and gameplay design, will appeal to people who still have hope for tri-Ace or people interested in a gun driven RPG.

AT3 - Built-in fanbase, not a huge franchise, but fans will be dedicated enough to not pass on it just because of "too many releases".

Last Rebellion - Will not sell much at all. Low marketing, dodgy developer, N1 has no real sales draw outside of Disgaea these days.

So therefore, out of the 4 games, the only one likely to suffer directly is EoE. As a new IP, it might not be able to maximize interest because there are already people who will definitely buy DQVI and AT3, within these groups if there are people who are interested in EoE as well, they will have to either buy another game in the same week, or pass on it. Last Rebellion will not gain or lose any significant sales regardless, it's going to tank.
I agree with you. To add, I'm not sure SO4 will make that big of an impact either. Looking at the 360 releases (FW / LTD / Ratio):

Tales of Vesperia - 101,272 / 202,592 / 50%
Star Ocean 4 - 166,027 / 208,521 / 80%

One clearly didn't have the same word of mouth as the other. Not that that is news, but we now have sales numbers to back that up. So, we have to see if the PS3 version will join WKC and ToV in selling about 340k.

Chris1964 said:
We miss last week's Famitsu numbers but it they are close to Media Create it must have sold 120-150k this week. Very small drop, if there was a drop at all.
That would be the 7th week above 100k. The DS version managed 11 (or 12 or 13; we don't know because Famitsu combined them...). Said that, after 7 weeks, it was only at 2 million or 1 million behind the Wii game.

duckroll

Road said:
I agree with you. To add, I'm not sure SO4 will make that big of an impact either. Looking at the 360 releases (FW / LTD / Ratio):

Tales of Vesperia - 101,272 / 202,592 / 50%
Star Ocean 4 - 166,027 / 208,521 / 80%

One clearly didn't have the same word of mouth as the other. Not that that is news, but we now have sales numbers to back that up. So, we have to see if the PS3 version will join WKC and ToV in selling about 340k.

I'm not sure those results are really comparable. Blue Dragon also ended up at around 200k, and it started with 80k. That doesn't really mean it had better word of mouth automatically. It just means to me, that ultimately, the threshold of sales for 360 games in Japan is about 200k. These 3 are also the top selling games on the 360.

Btw, where's the 202k figure from? At the end of 2008 its LTD was 161k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
http://www.geocities.jp/v7160c_l5/index.html

Road said:
That would be the 7th week above 100k. The DS version managed 11 (or 12 or 13; we don't know because Famitsu combined them...). Said that, after 7 weeks, it was only at 2 million or 1 million behind the Wii game.
13 weeks over 100k

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 865.024
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 315.197 / 1.180.221
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 242.932 / 1.423.153
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 204.007 / 1.627.160
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 169.852 / 1.797.012
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 153.047 / 1.950.059
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 132.375 / 2.082.434
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 120.220 / 2.202.654
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 146.837 / 2.349.491
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 114.471 / 2.463.962
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 103.008 / 2.566.970
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 119.991 / 2.686.961
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 115.335 / 2.802.296
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 66.336 / 2.868.632

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding SO4 sales.

How did the Star Ocean 3 and Star Ocean: Second Story sell in Japan?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ULTROS! said:
Regarding SO4 sales.

How did the Star Ocean 3 and Star Ocean: Second Story sell in Japan?

Star Ocean: The Second Story - 700k on PS1 + 145k on PSP.
Star Ocean 3 - 535k + 150k + 30k on PS2

Road

duckroll said:
I'm not sure those results are really comparable. Blue Dragon also ended up at around 200k, and it started with 80k. That doesn't really mean it had better word of mouth automatically. It just means to me, that ultimately, the threshold of sales for 360 games in Japan is about 200k. These 3 are also the top selling games on the 360.

I was not using inexistent legs to justify bad word of mouth, but (supposed) bad word of mouth to justify inexistent legs. =P

But, well, Blue Dragon must have had something going for it to make it more than double its first week (heavy marketing (?), bundling (?), launched when 360 install base was minimal, being the first big 360 RPG (similar to WKC on the PS3) etc.).

As curiosity, IU started much like Blue Dragon, with 86k, but is currently at 113k. While TLR started similar to ToV -- 102k -- and is at 155k.

As Chris pointed out, the 200k for ToV is from the Game Data Museum; GEIMIN has it at 170k. Have to wait for the 2009 top 500 to see where it really stands (maybe TLR and IU added some thousands to their totals, too).

duckroll

Road said:
I was not using inexistent legs to justify bad word of mouth, but (supposed) bad word of mouth to justify inexistent legs. =P

But, well, Blue Dragon must have had something going for it to make it more than double its first week (heavy marketing (?), bundling (?), launched when 360 install base was minimal, being the first big 360 RPG (similar to WKC on the PS3) etc.).

As curiosity, IU started much like Blue Dragon, with 86k, but is currently at 113k. While TLR started similar to ToV -- 102k -- and is at 155k.

As Chris pointed out, the 200k for ToV is from the Game Data Museum; GEIMIN has it at 170k. Have to wait for the 2009 top 500 to see where it really stands (maybe TLR and IU added some thousands to their totals, too).

Yes, but both IU and TLR are new IPs without any big names attached to the development or character design. Even ignoring the issue of quality for the moment, they clearly did not have the same selling potential as BD, ToV and SO4. The fact that the 3 biggest JRPGs on the 360 all ended up doing ~200k, seems to say more to me about how the 360 seriously limits the potential of sales in Japan, rather than anything else.

That's not to say I feel SO4 will set the charts on fire on the PS3 in Japan either, but it's definitely going to do decently at least, even with the terrible "word of mouth" on GAF. Since ToV on PS3 shows that when 360 titles with solid interest in Japan show up on a platform people actually own, it can sell way better than expected, I think SO4 on the PS3 will be a pretty good indicator of how Japan feels about the Star Ocean IP right now. It would be a good update on the popularity on the series.

test_account

XP-39C²
Leon S. Kennedy said:
Fastest ever to 3 million according to gamasutra. Wasn't DQ9 faster?
Yep, DQ9 reached 3 million copies sold in it's 3rd week. New Super Mario Bro Wii reached 3 million in its 5th or 6th week i think? But as Chris1964 already mentioned, the Famitsu article mentioned that NSMB Wii is the Wii game that reached 3 million copies sold the fastest :)

GAMASUTRA said:
Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold 3,002,753 units in Japan, becoming the fastest game ever to reach the 3 million mark in that country.

Gamasutra article is misleading then. They make it sound like the fastest game ever in the history of Japan

Road

duckroll said:
Yes, but both IU and TLR are new IPs without any big names attached to the development or character design. Even ignoring the issue of quality for the moment, they clearly did not have the same selling potential as BD, ToV and SO4. The fact that the 3 biggest JRPGs on the 360 all ended up doing ~200k, seems to say more to me about how the 360 seriously limits the potential of sales in Japan, rather than anything else.

That's not to say I feel SO4 will set the charts on fire on the PS3 in Japan either, but it's definitely going to do decently at least, even with the terrible "word of mouth" on GAF. Since ToV on PS3 shows that when 360 titles with solid interest in Japan show up on a platform people actually own, it can sell way better than expected, I think SO4 on the PS3 will be a pretty good indicator of how Japan feels about the Star Ocean IP right now. It would be a good update on the popularity on the series.
Well, I think assuming 200k is a roof for RPG sales on the 360 would be a more far-fetched conclusion, especially considering the three games were released with a significant installed base difference. I'm leaning more to it being a coincidence.

Anyways, you're right saying we'll know better when SO4-PS3 is out. Will it sell similar to ToV (337k) and WKC (340k) and indicate the PS3 has 350k as its limit for big JRPGs not called Final Fantasy?
Not being serious =P

Top Bottom