• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

Masklinn said:
Couldn't you just shut up if you can't stop being stupid?

Pretty please with cherry on top and all that

You know, let me just keep my cool about the whole thing.

Secondly, I don't know what you guys are talking about double posts. I use the edit feature everytime and no double posts show on my laptop or college or library computers.

donny2112

Since European discussions came up in this thread, I figured this was as good a place as any to post it. :p

PS2 tops Kiwi market at Xmas, total sales over 400k

PlayStation 2 recently achieved sales of over 400,00 units in New Zealand, selling 21,800 units during November and December - 70% of total console sales.

This marks the seventh consecutive year Playstation 2 has been the number one games console in the market. In addition to record console sales, the new range of 'social gaming' titles have also proven very successful, with SingStar Legends, Buzz!T Sports, and Buzz!T Junior Jungle selling in the tens of thousands of units.

"It is no surprise to us that PlayStation 2 was the number one selling gaming platform for Christmas. As the PlayStation 2 offering goes from strength to strength, more consumers are buying into the value proposition of the hardware and the unrivalled range of software on offer. Consumers obviously saw exceptional value in PlayStation 2," says Warwick Light, SCENZ's general manager of sales and marketing.

"With new platforms on the market, we stand by our belief that the gaming category is a long-haul race. The continued support and innovation of the PlayStation 2 platform shows that a console can enjoy a long lifespan and continue to grow its appeal to new audiences. Don't think that with the launch of our next generation console we will be forgetting about PlayStation 2 - far from it. "

Christmas sales figures for 30 October to Dec 31 2006:

PS2 21,813 units = 70.9% of console market
PSP 9,560 units = 73% of handheld market
Source: GFK sales tracking

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz

donny2112 said:
Since European discussions came up in this thread, I figured this was as good a place as any to post it. :p

PlayStation 2 recently achieved sales of over 400,00 units in New Zealand, selling 21,800 units during November and December - 70% of total console sales.

This marks the seventh consecutive year Playstation 2 has been the number one games console in the market. In addition to record console sales, the new range of 'social gaming' titles have also proven very successful, with SingStar Legends, Buzz!T Sports, and Buzz!T Junior Jungle selling in the tens of thousands of units.

"It is no surprise to us that PlayStation 2 was the number one selling gaming platform for Christmas. As the PlayStation 2 offering goes from strength to strength, more consumers are buying into the value proposition of the hardware and the unrivalled range of software on offer. Consumers obviously saw exceptional value in PlayStation 2," says Warwick Light, SCENZ's general manager of sales and marketing.

"With new platforms on the market, we stand by our belief that the gaming category is a long-haul race. The continued support and innovation of the PlayStation 2 platform shows that a console can enjoy a long lifespan and continue to grow its appeal to new audiences. Don't think that with the launch of our next generation console we will be forgetting about PlayStation 2 - far from it. "

It's amazing how freaking small some markets are. I mean I know the population is nowhere near Europe or Japan or US, but still. Even Canada and such are just SMALL compared to the big 3. I mean, 9,560 units for THREE MONTHS is 73% of the handheld market.

Man!

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
It's amazing how freaking small some markets are. I mean I know the population is nowhere near Europe or Japan or US, but still. Even Canada and such are just SMALL compared to the big 3. I mean, 9,560 units for THREE MONTHS is 73% of the handheld market.

Man!

And they wonder why no one really cares about them. :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
donny2112 said:

That deserves a new thread, just for the PSP being the market leader :lol

cvxfreak said:
And they wonder why no one really cares about them. :p

I R genie-us

Edit: At first I thought you were taking a jab about how I foolishly (read: stupidly) said 3 months, when it begins at October 30....

But I guess anyone could make that mistake.... I hope >_>

LanceStern said:

Man!
No shit, they only have like 4 million people living there. What would you expect? :lol

haircut

LanceStern said:
Secondly, I don't know what you guys are talking about double posts. I use the edit feature everytime and no double posts show on my laptop or college or library computers.
Two small bears named Tufty on page 21 disagree with you here.

Phife Dawg said:
No shit, they only have like 4 million people living there. What would you expect? :lol

Well you mean not even 1 million of those 4 million like videogames?

Perhaps they can't afford them...hm food for thought.

Oh and by douple post you guys mean two different posts. I'm thinkig you guys are saying I post the exact same message on accident.

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
I R genie-us

Edit: At first I thought you were taking a jab about how I foolishly (read: stupidly) said 3 months, when it begins at October 30....

But I guess anyone could make that mistake.... I hope >_>

Nah, I wasn't mocking you.

This time. [/AniHawk]

jimbo

Banned
starship said:
You didn't predict anything except huge turn around for 360 in Japan and selling > 10k in the next months. :lol
And you disagree with everyone who guesstimate X360 sales in Europe which is in the range of 2-2.5m for sure. You and other xbots want it to be higher so you always are in denial.
We know its sales in the UK (890k) and have a good estimate of Uk's market share in Europe for Xbox brand. so we can come up with good estimates which is close to reality. No one can say what is the exact figure but we can say what is the range.

Ok you are making me lose my cool. You are such a ****ing liar dude. I never predicted a "huge" turnaround for the 360 in Japan. I only stated Blue Dragon helped turn things around and improved sales(BIG DIFFERENCE FROM HUGE TURNAROUND) AND as a matter of fact I STATED the 360 would be LUCKY to hit 10k on a monthly basis.

You need to get banned for making shit up. As a matter of fact put your account where your mouth is. How about a bet? If you can find anywhere on this site me stating that I believe the 360 will maintain an average of OVER 10k in Japan, the mods can ban me for a month. If not, you're out for a month.
How about it? I'll even give you 24 hours to dig.

You are so full of shit.

jimbo said:
Ok you are making me lose my cool. You are such a ****ing liar dude. I never predicted a "huge" turnaround for the 360 in Japan. I only stated Blue Dragon helped turn things around and improved sales(BIG DIFFERENCE FROM HUGE TURNAROUND) AND as a matter of fact I STATED the 360 would be LUCKY to hit 10k on a monthly basis.

You need to get banned for making shit up. As a matter of fact put your account where your mouth is. How about a bet? If you can find anywhere on this site me stating that I believe the 360 will maintain an average of OVER 10k in Japan, the mods can ban me for a month. If not, you're out for a month.
How about it? I'll even give you 24 hours to dig.

You are so full of shit.

I can sympathize with you. Not against starship of course, cause starship is pretty cool... but some of the people in this media create thread...

woo hoo hoo.

Do what I do, sing or dance

Parl

LanceStern said:
I can sympathize with you. Not against starship of course, cause starship is pretty cool... but some of the people in this media create thread...

woo hoo hoo.

Do what I do, sing or dance

You've been one of the main targets for onslaughts in the past week for NCS threads, I've noticed.

cvxfreak

GhaleonEB said:
He lives on, watching over us all.

zankara

LanceStern said:

Perhaps they can't afford them...hm food for thought.

Oh and by douple post you guys mean two different posts. I'm thinkig you guys are saying I post the exact same message on accident.

We can afford them, NZ is not some poor third world country.

Nintendo has been useless here for years. Charging far to much, with no real support for their products. Plus the huge boom of singstar and buzz have pretty much led sony to a easy victory.

zankara said:
We can afford them, NZ is not some poor third world country.

Nintendo has been useless here for years. Charging far to much, with no real support for their products. Plus the huge boom of singstar and buzz have pretty much led sony to a easy victory.

How is it a BOOM when it's less than 21k? And how is a boom, 9k units in 2 months?

That's like a squeak. Or feather dropping on sand

zankara

Well the lifetime sales of the PS2 is 400,000, so I don't know how you can say 21k is not much. Compared to other countries of course it seems pathetic, but you have to remember that our entire population is less than some cities in other parts of the world.

ghostlyjoe said:
Make some babies already, people. Come on! The PSP needs you!!

Did you lose the memo? Nintendo is the kiddie. Making babies furthers the evil Iwata-Miyamoto agenda as they start popping out of the womb with GBAs already in their grubby little hands.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Some cumulative sales graphs

I anyone wants any specific comparison, graph, analysis, whatever...then post what you're after.

piehandheldsltdfy3.jpg

linedsvsps2ltdup2.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
LanceStern said:

Fun NZ gamer facts

- At one stage NZ had the highest penetration of PlayStations per capita in the world, and eventually was only second to Ireland.

- At one stage NZ had the highest ratio to female to male PlayStation owners in the world.

- A few years back the highest selling console game of all time here was Jonah Lomu Rugby for PSX which has sold about 40-45k copies to date (not sure if this is still the top selling title)

NZ loves videogames, even though we pay almost twice as much for them as in the US.

Fady K

Avalon said:
Yes, I'm sure pleasing you made it entirely worth it for them. :lol

Poor Monolith though, they are a talented development team. If the games narrative had been more like Baten Kaitos, not only would they have saved a lot of money but a lot of the criticism around the series would have been gone as well.

Come to think of it, you have any idea how flattered Id be if they felt like it was worth it because of me :lol

I didnt enjoy the narratives in BK as much as Xenosaga at all :/ , but thats just me.

MrSardonic said:

I anyone wants any specific comparison, graph, analysis, whatever...then post what you're after.

piehandheldsltdfy3.jpg

linedsvsps2ltdup2.jpg

Two things:

The DS is really taking the short route to catch up to the GBA and PS2 LTDs

The PSP seems to be trending similar to the GBA. Had the DS never existed...well, you know.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrSardonic said:

piehandheldsltdfy3.jpg

linedsvsps2ltdup2.jpg

Will be interesting to see what happens when DS sales reach GBA ones.

MrSardonic

DeaconKnowledge said:
The PSP seems to be trending similar to the GBA.

It's trending similar to the GBA once the GBA had already sold 10m units. I suspect the PSP is selling much less software too (and GBA didnt sell much)

TTP said:
Will be interesting to see what happens when DS sales reach GBA ones.

It will probably beat the GBA LTD in the next 8-10 weeks.

By the end of 2006, the PS2 LTD was 20.15m and sold 1.45m in 2006. The DS LTD was 14.01m and sold 8.36m in 2006. If we assume the PS2 sells 1.0m in 2007 then the DS would need to sell about 7.2m in 2007 in order to exceed the PS2 LTD.

We can't really tell when sales will slow down significantly, especially with more major franchises (DQIX) coming in 2007, so I'd say the DS has a good chance of selling 7.2m units in 2007. It will be the fastest hardware to 20m ever, have the highest LTD ever, and probably shift the most software ever for gaming hardware.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TTP said:
Will be interesting to see what happens when DS sales reach PS2 ones.
Fixed for accuracy. It looks like it'll reach 20million faster than the PS2 unless the rate it is selling at slows down.

Avalon

Fady K said:
I didnt enjoy the narratives in BK as much as Xenosaga at all :/ , but thats just me.

What are you talking about? Your precious Episode III used that same exact format for 90% of the game.

Simple character portraits with dialogue, all using in-game assets with no FMV.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jj984jj said:
Fixed for accuracy. It looks like it'll reach 20million faster than the PS2 unless the rate it is selling at slows down.

uh? I dont see any PS2 sales graph. Where is it? I only see handhelds there (GBA, DS, PSP)

cvxfreak

It'll take one or two massive restocks alongside normal weeks for the DS to finally surpass the three GBAs hardwares combined. Luckily unlike last year, Nintendo seems more prepared this year so the DS doesn't plunge to levels below 30K or so (knocks on wood).

Anyway, Famitsu more or less estimated the DS to be at 20 Million by the end of the year, so by then it should have passed PS2. A little earlier in the year it will also pass PSone and Famicom, and even earlier the SFC. I'm not sure how far apart GBA and SFC are, though. The GB/GBC is somewhere in there as well.

So 2007 will be the year DS went from #7 overall to #1. :)

1. GB/GBC (?)
2. PS2
3. PSone
4. Famicom
5. Super Famicom
6. Game Boy Advance/SP/micro
7. DS/DSL

MrSardonic

jj984jj said:
It looks like it'll reach 20million faster than the PS2 unless the rate it is selling at slows down.

The rate at which it sells would need to crash to below PS2 levels once the PS2 had reached 14m. Extremely unlikely.

0m - 14m
PS2 took ~45 months
DS took ~24 months

0m - 20m
PS2 took ~80 months
DS could take ~36 months (at worst 42)

So over the next 56 months the DS would need to sell ~6m (PS2 sold ~10m in the 56 months after its launch) to equal the time it took PS2 to sell 20m. There is no question that it will sell 20m faster than the PS2 - probably in half the time.

cvxfreak said:
It'll take one or two massive restocks alongside normal weeks for the DS to finally surpass the three GBAs hardwares combined.

It will take an average of ~86k for the next 10 weeks to beat the all-GBA LTD. Let's say ~3 months if sales drop to ~72k a week.

GhaleonEB said:
The second graph doesn't show up for me.

Can you see it in this post?

linedsvsps2ltdxu0.jpg

cvxfreak

If I did my calculating correctly (and I suck at math so I might've made a mistake), then the DS needs to just sell 27K systems per week in the next 56 months to catch PS2, obviously not counting the exact nature of these numbers, holiday seasons, 5 week months and so forth. Joshua should take the stage from here.

Joshua, you should start doing PS2 catch up countdowns every week. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MrSardonic said:
The rate at which it sells would need to crash to below PS2 levels once the PS2 had reached 14m. Extremely unlikely.

0m - 14m
PS2 took ~45 months
DS took ~24 months

0m - 20m
PS2 took ~80 months

So over the next 56 months the DS would need to sell ~6m (PS2 sold ~10m in the 56 months after its launch) to equal the time it took PS2 to sell 20m. There is no question that it will sell 20m faster than the PS2 - probably in half the time.
Well I'm looking more at where the DS sold 9-14 million, I mean if Nintendo can continue supplying DS Lites like they have during that part of the year then I don't think it'll take quite as long as 36 months. I'm not saying it'll happen in 7-8 months, but I won't be surprised if it was awfully close by the end of December. The only think that could get in the way is Wii... but they appealing to the non-gamer for different reasons so I think they can co-exist.

Fady K

Avalon said:
What are you talking about? Your precious Episode III used that same exact format for 90% of the game.

Simple character portraits with dialogue, all using in-game assets with no FMV.

So you're talking about narrative system then? I thought you meant actual story. No, im fine with the narrative system on both games. Lovin it.

Parl

MrSardonic said:

0m - 14m
PS2 took ~45 months
DS took ~24 months

0m - 20m
PS2 took ~80 months

linedsvsps2ltdxu0.jpg

In other words, DS would have to sell an average of 25,000 per week in order to reach 20 million at a later time than PS2. :lol

Taking Nov/Dec sales increas into account, I hardly see DS averaging at 22 million per week.

cvxfreak

Parl said:
In other words, DS would have to sell an average of 25,000 per week in order to reach 20 million at a later time than PS2. :lol

Taking Nov/Dec sales increas into account, I hardly see DS averaging at 22 million per week.

Me neither. :p

MrSardonic said:
We can't really tell when sales will slow down significantly, especially with more major franchises (DQIX) coming in 2007, so I'd say the DS has a good chance of selling 7.2m units in 2007.

Is it even conceivable that it would sell less? DS production as a whole is up dramatically from last year, the software releases this year are already as big or bigger (and we don't know half of what'll be out), and if by some miracle demand should happen to slip below supply there's still even room for a price drop.

The only situation I could see leading to lower 2007 sales is if sales in US and Europe take off so much that Nintendo needs to cut into Japanese supply to meet it elsewhere in the world.

Top Bottom