• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 6-12, 2009 - Dragon Quest IX - 2.3 million

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Yeah, the psp part was a joke. Nobody should expect that bundle to do too much for the handheld.

Probably should have figured that :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
AniHawk said:
doicare pretty much nailed wii sports resort's numbers
So now we must pay more attention to his horrible theory about kids off of schools and Wii sales?

dabra said:
Famitsu

DSi 105,000
PSP 25,000
Wii 19,000
DSL 12,000
PS3 8,300
PS2 5,000
360 2,700

1.NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) 603,000 / 2,946,000
2.[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) 73,000
3.[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)  68,000 / 668,000
4.[NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)  60,000 / 334,000
5.[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) 50,000 
6.[PSP] Ys I & II Chronicles (Nihon Falcom) 20,000
7.[PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4: Seitouchi Shounen Tanteidan, Boku to Himitsu no Chizu (SCE) 13,000 / 92,000
8.[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom)  11,000 / 831,000
9.[PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) 11,000 / 128,000
10.[WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)  8,100 / 3,462,000

fck at DQ9 sales but fck more at DSi sales, it even gets scarier if Pokemans invade the the DSi on their next release

onken

slaughterking said:

Whoops, cheers.

vicissitudes said:
Yeah I'd be pretty surprised if ToV sold more on the PS3 than on the 360, after seeing how the PS3 port of Trusty Bell floundered.

Yeah but ToV is actually good.

e~ those dorakue week 2 sales are incredible

doicare

AniHawk said:
doicare pretty much nailed wii sports resort's numbers
I aim to please.
manueldelalas said:
PS3  8,300 / 3,241,765
Wii Fit 8,100 / 3,462,000

PS3 gaining momentum...
...all the way to oblivion, sales are horribly low again. Although i will make a prediction that by the years end ps3 hardware will be above wii fit in japan.
starship said:
So now we must pay more attention to his horrible theory about kids off of schools and Wii sales?
Now, now don't be bitter just because i beat you to the number one spot in last years npd predictions league.
Busaiku said:
Aren't his predictions for MC numbers?
Good question, haven't really thought about it myself. :lol Erm, i'll get back to you on that one.
schuelma said:
If this thread gets diocared I'm out.
I'll see what i can do.
vicissitudes said:
Yeah I'd be pretty surprised if ToV sold more on the PS3 than on the 360, after seeing how the PS3 port of Trusty Bell floundered.
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how well tales of vesperia is going to sell on the ps3.

V_Arnold

Insane DQIX numbers.
And for Vesperia, I assume it will go in 90-160k range, which should be quite good enough, considering it is a port.

test_account

XP-39C²
GCX said:
Didn't DS sell like 800.000 units in a week in Christmas 2005 or 2006?

I'd quess that's the biggest bumb ever even though I don't remember the numbers for the week prior that.
I see that cvxfreak mentioned that it was about 600.000 units that the DS sold one week in December in 2005 in Japan, but even that it isnt 800.000, 600.000 is still a very high number :) Thanks for the answer :)

I checked Garaph.info, and the bump before the 600k DS week, the sales were about 409k the week before. So the bump was about 190k. That is a pretty big bump indeed, and probably the highest week to week bump that i have seen :)

I am sorry for the late reply here by the way :\

farnham

Banned
doicare said:
...all the way to oblivion, sales are horribly low again. Although i will make a prediction that by the years end ps3 hardware will be above wii fit in japan.
thats unfair.. wii fit is getting a sequel (wii fit plus)

id say wii fit + wii fit plus will outsell the PS3

birdchili

farnham said:
id say wii fit + wii fit plus will outsell the PS3
they're just replacing wii fit with plus, right? (and adding a hardware-free sku). I doubt wii fit will be for sale at all at cmas.

Rocksteady33

birdchili said:
they're just replacing wii fit with plus, right? (and adding a hardware-free sku). I doubt wii fit will be for sale at all at cmas.

While not an entirely different game it does have added features. Think Pokemon Yellow to Pokemon Red/Blue.

donny2112

Busaiku said:
Aren't his predictions for MC numbers?

That's what I was comparing them to. I don't think he stated that he was predicting for a particular tracking firm, though.

doicare said:
Although i will make a prediction that by the years end ps3 hardware will be above wii fit in japan.

Nah. Maybe next year, though, with Wii Fit Plus fazing out Wii Fit.

doicare said:
Good question, haven't really thought about it myself. :lol Erm, i'll get back to you on that one.

In the response to Stumpokapow last week, you didn't seem to be particular about tracking firms.

test_account said:
I checked Garaph.info, and the bump before the 600k DS week, the sales were about 409k the week before. So the bump was about 190k. That is a pretty big bump indeed, and probably the highest week to week bump that i have seen :)

It was less a bump and more a brick wall. NCL was apologizing for the shortages the next week.

the thoroughbred said:
So i one already has Wii Fit plus, is there a need to have the orignal, or is everything in the original in the Plus version too?

There are some unique activities in Wii Fit apparently not in Wii Fit Plus, but it may not be worth it to buy both at the same time. If you're really interested, there'll probably be a ton of used copies of Wii Fit available after Wii Fit Plus's release.

1.[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) 603,000 / 2,946,000
As of day 9 its above FFVIII day 11, and also above day 9 of previous DQ but DQ7 closes the gap:
DQIX - 2.946m (9 days)
DQVII - 2.934m (9 days)
DQVIII - 2.796m (9 days)
FFVIII - 2.775m (11 days)

2.[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) 73,000
5.[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) 50,000 
Moving to the PS3, basically last year edition reversed:
[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) - 50,000
[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) - 80,000
While PYS6 is lower, its the typical 4-day first week while PYS5 was a Tuesday release so its first week numbers are a 6-day total.

6.[PSP] Ys I & II Chronicles (Nihon Falcom) 20,000
In terms of Falcom self published titles, its 3rd biggest on PSP after Legend of Heroes 3 (48k) and Legend of Heroes 2 (26k). That is, above LoH 1, Vantage, Brandish, Zwei...
In terms of Ys (that I could find), its shockingly similar to Ys I & II on PS2 (Digicube - 20,767), way better than Taito Ys IV PS2 7k and bit lower than Konami Ys Box of Napishtim PS2 23k.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
As of day 9 its above FFVIII day 11, and also above day 9 of previous DQ but DQ7 closes the gap:
DQIX - 2.946m (9 days)
DQVII - 2.934m (9 days)
DQVIII - 2.796m (9 days)
FFVIII - 2.775m (11 days)
Take that RPG plebs!

1.NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) 603,000 / 2,946,000
Awww. I was hoping we'd see the first instance of 3 million by the end of the second week.
AniHawk said:
I'm guessing DQIX does about 4.5m lifetime in Japan.
I don't know. It's early to see long-term trends, sure, but from the first two weeks it seems to be behaving like DQVIII + a few percent. It will take better than that to match VII, let alone beat it by a half million.

test_account

XP-39C²
manueldelalas said:
PS3  8,300 / 3,241,765
Wii Fit 8,100 / 3,462,000

PS3 gaining momentum...
Hehe, well, 200 units above is a momentum indeed as you say :)

birdchili said:
I knew about the hardware-free SKU, but are they replacing the old Wii Fit software with Wii Fit Plus in the Wii Balance Board SKU? I didnt know about this before now. If this is the case, i guess that Wii Fit Plus will be tracked as 1 "unit" (or what i shall say), so we wont see seperately how many hardware-free and Wii Balance Board SKUs that are sold?

birdchili

test_account said:
are they replacing the old Wii Fit software with Wii Fit Plus in the Wii Balance Board SKU?
i *think* i read that, but perhaps this was just mental extrapolation on my part based on what i perceive plus to be.

my understanding is that plus is a superset of the functionality of fit, so i can't imagine there's really any market for the original once plus is out (they could charge more for plus, i suppose).

i think it's a good move to replace the original sku, frankly: helps keep the momentum of wii fit in general, and you get to sell a marginally improved software product to folk who already shelled out for the original.

test_account

XP-39C²
ComputerNerd said:
I wonder what the stock situation is like on DQ IX. Is it out of stock?
Amazon.co.jp says (at least when i am writing this post right now) that DQ IX is in stock the 24th of July (if the english translation is correct). I am not sure how good of an indicator this is for the japanese gaming market in general though.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000LXD7HO/

birdchili said:
i *think* i read that, but perhaps this was just mental extrapolation on my part based on what i perceive plus to be.

my understanding is that plus is a superset of the functionality of fit, so i can't imagine there's really any market for the original once plus is out (they could charge more for plus, i suppose).

i think it's a good move to replace the original sku, frankly: helps keep the momentum of wii fit in general, and you get to sell a marginally improved software product to folk who already shelled out for the original.
Ah ok, thanks for the info :) I havnt really followed too much around what Wii Fit Plus actually is (all that i pretty much knew about Wii Fit Plus was that it is new software for the Wii Balance Board), but if Wii Fit Plus is pretty much an enhanced version of the first Wii Fit software, then i think it might be a good move to replace the first Wii Fit software with Wii Fit Plus indeed as you say, i agree :)

Jonnyram

AniHawk said:
I'm guessing DQIX does about 4.5m lifetime in Japan.
I reckon 5 mil is doable too. The summer holiday season will keep sales pretty high, and I expect a healthy bump at the end of the year too. I don't expect this to follow DQVIII trends as it is one-user-per-unit. Also, the amount of post-game content in this is sure to reduce the amount of second-hand sales - more than 1,000,000 copies of DQVIII were sold on the used market in its first year.

I just had a random thought...if both GT5 and FFXIII are releasing in December 2009 in Japan...how the hell is Sony gonna space that out? Having them come out within a week of each other would just NOT be a good idea.

cvxfreak

vicissitudes said:
I just had a random thought...if both GT5 and FFXIII are releasing in December 2009 in Japan...how the hell is Sony gonna space that out? Having them come out within a week of each other would just NOT be a good idea.

Actually, back in 1997, Gran Turismo came out the same day as Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Tales of Destiny and Momotarou Dentetsu. All of them were huge sellers their first week.

GT3 was unrivaled for a few weeks, though.

I think GT5 and FFXIII can be released within the same month myself, but definitely not a week apart.

cvxfreak said:
Actually, back in 1997, Gran Turismo came out the same day as Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Tales of Destiny and Momotarou Dentetsu. All of them were huge sellers their first week.

GT3 was unrivaled for a few weeks, though.

I think GT5 and FFXIII can be released within the same month myself, but definitely not a week apart.
Nothing similar happened in the PS2 era?

shykyoichi said:
Nothing similar happened in the PS2 era?
This isn't quite as complicated since I'm not taking launch dates into account, but it should be pretty easy to make an SQL query that finds weeks where the most games from system X each sold more than Y copies.

Arbitrarily going with 200,000, it looks like PS2 only had 11 weeks where two games hit 200K; none with three. Though I'll repeat the usual caveat; where there's only data from two weeks smooshed together the database doesn't include the "WeeklySales" value, so some big (especially holiday) weeks might be missing.

Lowering standards a bit to 150K, the week of 2004-02-16 PS2 had Winning Eleven 7 International, SD Gundam G Generation Seed, Samurai Warriors (second week) and FF X-2 International.

EDIT: It's worth noting that tinkering around with the above queries and trying the other popular platforms of the era Garaph covers, none of GBA/DS/PSP/Wii have higher numbers for simultaneous 150+K or 200+K games than PS2. Pretty rare thing in general.

Jokeropia

Vilix said:
The depression????? What depression are you talking about?
Depression: "a long-term economic state characterized by unemployment and low prices and low levels of trade and investment." A recession is generally six to at most twelve months, and I believe we're exceeding that now.

goomba

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Depression: "a long-term economic state characterized by unemployment and low prices and low levels of trade and investment." A recession is generally six to at most twelve months, and I believe we're exceeding that now.

QFT

"Depression" is too alarming to state.. but technically thats now what the world is in now ( thanks America) :p

Jokeropia said:

Actually, no. A recession has a definition in terms of length, but "depression" doesn't, it's just slang. But the moment we exceed the length of recession we don't immediately head into "depression" territory.

It's like the difference between saying an answer is "wrong" and an answer is "retarded." The first one has a definition, the second is just a word people throw around.

So before we get into some huge discussion over whether or not it's a depression, it's just a matter of opinion.

Jokeropia

David H Wong said:
Actually, no. A recession has a definition in terms of length, but "depression" doesn't, it's just slang. But the moment we exceed the length of recession we don't immediately head into "depression" territory.
Then what is it? Unless you can find a better word and support it with a dictionary, I'll consider depression to be the proper term in this case. It doesn't normally have a specified length (of X amount of months or whatever) but is generally considered to be an economic downturn longer than a recession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(economics)
Definition

There is no widely-agreed-upon definition for a depression, though some have been proposed. In the United States the National Bureau of Economic Research determines contractions and expansions in the business cycle, but does not declare depressions.[1] Generally, periods labeled depressions are marked by a substantial and sustained shortfall of the ability to purchase goods relative to the amount that could be produced using current resources and technology (potential output).[2] The economic theory most concerned with periods of inflation, deflation and depressions is known as the Kondratieff wave. Another proposed definition of depression includes two general rules: 1) a decline in real GDP exceeding 10%, and 2) a recession lasting 3 or more years.[3][4].

test_account

XP-39C²
Isnt the finance crisis pretty much over now in general by the way? I havnt heard much talk about it lately at least. But ye, if the finance crisis is still active, maybe it can be correct to define it as a depression instead of a recession. I didnt know the difference before now actually :)

EDIT: Wikipedia says that a recession can last 3-4 years if i understand it correctly?

There is no commonly accepted definition of a global recession, IMF regards periods when global growth is less than 3% to be global recessions.[28] The IMF estimates that global recessions seem to occur over a cycle lasting between 8 and 10 years. During what the IMF terms the past three global recessions of the last three decades, global per capita output growth was zero or negative.[29]

Economists at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) state that a global recession would take a slowdown in global growth to three percent or less. By this measure, four periods since 1985 qualify: 1990–1993, 1998, 2001–2002 and 2008–2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recession#Global_recessions

Wikipedia isnt always correct though, but this is what is written. It doesnt seem to be a "true" (or what i shall say) definition on how long a recession is lasting, but i am just wondering about this mostly to boost my own knowledge about this subject :) This is on a global scale though, or was it only talk about the japanese economic?

[Nintex]

test_account said:
Isnt the finance crisis pretty much over now in general by the way? I havnt heard much talk about it lately at least. But ye, if the finance crisis is still active, maybe it can be correct to define it as a depression instead of a recession. I didnt know the difference before now actually :)
Well most people say we've had the worst part. But the damage has already been done, alot of people lost their jobs, companies went bust and the economy hasn't recovered fully yet untill all those people find new jobs again and companies start to expand instead of shrink.

test_account

XP-39C²
[Nintex] said:
Well most people say we've had the worst part. But the damage has already been done, alot of people lost their jobs, companies went bust and the economy hasn't recovered fully yet untill all those people find new jobs again and companies start to expand instead of shrink.
Ye, that is true as you say, that the damage has already been done :\ And the fiances crisis is also "old news", maybe that is why i havnt heard too much about it lately, at least in the media (TV, newspaper etc.).

EDIT: I added some text.

Top Bottom