• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: May 4-10, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
spwolf said:
:lol

i see many people with experience around here

:lol I don't even think he's been married very long :lol :lol

mujun

test_account said:
Ye, i think that the media is one of the reasons why there are so much focus on the swine flu. I think it is good that people take the deseases seriously though since the desease can kill, but i dont know how big of a chance there is to die from it if someone should get infected, especially if you have a good imune system.

be aware, sure. total irrational panic, not so good.

like a bunch of ppl have already pointed out normal influenza kills something like 500,000 ppl a year yet there is no panic associated with it.

seems like a media grab for ratings to me.

Vinnk

bmf said:
I'm pretty sure he announced his engagement in a media create thread.

I did in fact. And now in this, another media create thread I will announce that we have a kid on the way.

donny2112

Vinnk said:
I did in fact. And now in this, another media create thread I will announce that we have a kid on the way.

Congratulations! :D Priorities change (e.g. less sex, more focus on kid), but it's still a good overall change. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:

Congrats :D

justchris

kswiston said:
Swine flu has infected over 6400 people in Canada and the United States, and so far 9-10 people have died. Current mortality rate is about 0.2%. Regular flu kills 1-2% of people who get sick, so even if swine flu's mortality rate goes up, I doubt it will be any more deadly than regular flu strains.

Swine flu reminds me a lot of SARS. People went crazy in Ontario over SARS, when in reality it wasn't any deadlier than regular pneumonia. 8000 people caught SARS and about 800 died. Mortality rate was around 10%. Mortality rate for regular pneumonia is 5-10% Mortality rate of both is very low in young adults (1-2%) and very high in the elderly (30-50%).

Then to a certain extent then, the panic is doing its job. No one panics about the regular flu, and it kills 50,000+ people a year. If it was constantly on the news and people were checking themselves into the hospital at the slightest symptom, rather than ignoring it like most people usually do unless its already really bad, flu deaths in developed countries like the US, Canada, Japan etc would probably be dramatically less.

Vinnk

Thanks everyone, sorry to derail the thread so much.

MHG at #11 is good.. but knowing how sales are this week that still might only be like 5-10k

Vinnk said:

MHG at #11 is good.. but knowing how sales are this week that still might only be like 5-10k

#10 on the list is 9,000 so it has to be lower then that.

Vinnk

You are right.. wow..

I wonder when this will turn around? I always thought WSR would start some sort of comeback, but with the way things are I don't know if even the combo of that and MH3 will have a lasting effect.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Those hardware numbers are certainly reminiscent of pre-ds and psp times, check out this post-gw week in 2004:
http://garaph.info/weeklyoverview.php?week=2004-05-10

[PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 6 (SCE) - 41k
How they get away with the blatant milking escapes me, but its the best start ever for this Bleach series, all famitsu data, 1st week comparison:

March 2005: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 1" 39k
September 2005: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 2" 26k
July 2006: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 3" 36k
May 2007: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 4" 36k
May 2008: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 5" 40k
May 2009: "BLEACH Heat the Soul 6" 41k
Because the next game is better than the last one?

cvxfreak

Vinnk said:
It is indeed pretty crazy here. I came back from a 3 week trip to the states to visit my family. When I left Japan everything was normal but when I cam back it was like something out of a horror movie. After my plane landed in Narita, doctors in full plastic body suits came onto the plane to examine all the passangers. When we were finally allowed to deplane we were all given face masks. At the airport there was almost no one not wearing one of these masks.

When I finally got back to my city I was told (by the local government) that I would be under house quarantine for 1 week. I was not to leave my house for any reason and was told I could not have guests (including my wife). I was not sick in any way and the systoms are supposed to show up within 72 hours, but to be safe, they made it a week.

When I was finally able to leave my house I went to do a bit of shopping. There are noticebly less shoppers around and a lot of them are wearing masks. I did not visit any game stores so I can not make any calls on that. But I do know parents are being very protective of their kids lately and telling them to stay out of large groups.

I do not think this is the only factor for the horrible sales, I think the fact that it is after golden week and that school sports festival season is right around the corner (at least in my area) would probably have equal if not greater impacts. (not to mention no one has any money)

But to answer the question, Yes there is a lot of swine flu panic here.

Yeah... those checks were crazy, and highly ineffective. What was the government thinking?

Luckily they're phasing them out. Going through them once was enough, but twice (I'm back in the U.S. for a few days for the second time this month) would have been even more frustrating.

And congrats on your child! :D

Vinnk said:
It is indeed pretty crazy here. I came back from a 3 week trip to the states to visit my family. When I left Japan everything was normal but when I cam back it was like something out of a horror movie. After my plane landed in Narita, doctors in full plastic body suits came onto the plane to examine all the passangers. When we were finally allowed to deplane we were all given face masks. At the airport there was almost no one not wearing one of these masks.

When I finally got back to my city I was told (by the local government) that I would be under house quarantine for 1 week. I was not to leave my house for any reason and was told I could not have guests (including my wife). I was not sick in any way and the systoms are supposed to show up within 72 hours, but to be safe, they made it a week.

When I was finally able to leave my house I went to do a bit of shopping. There are noticebly less shoppers around and a lot of them are wearing masks. I did not visit any game stores so I can not make any calls on that. But I do know parents are being very protective of their kids lately and telling them to stay out of large groups.

I do not think this is the only factor for the horrible sales, I think the fact that it is after golden week and that school sports festival season is right around the corner (at least in my area) would probably have equal if not greater impacts. (not to mention no one has any money)

But to answer the question, Yes there is a lot of swine flu panic here.

What the fuck? So you couldn't leave no matter what? So you couldn't just open your door and go outside?

Famitsu Sales: 05/10 - 05/17

01. [PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 6 (SCE) - 41,000 / NEW
02. [PSP] Growlanser (Atlus) - 30,000 / NEW
03. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Pokemon) - 19,000 / 303,000
04. [NDS] WarioWare Myself! (Nintendo) - 19,000 / 133,000
05. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 18,000 / 162,000
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 15,000 / 713,000
07. [WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2009 (Konami) - 15,000 / NEW
08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 12,000 / 3,363,000
09. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 11,000 / 605,000
10. [PS2] Rakushou! Pachi-Slot Sengen 6: Rio 2 Cruising Vanadis (Tecmo) - 8,800 / NEW

11. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco Games) - 7,000 / 546,000
12. [WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 6,500 / 203,000
13. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami) - 6,500 / 62,000
14. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 6,000 / 1,718,000
15. [PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 5,800 / 115,000
16. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 5,200 / 2,243,000
19. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 3,800 / 3,499,000
20. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 3,800 / 5,489,000
21. [PS3] Killlzone 2 (SCE) - 3,700 / 70,000
22. [NDS] Tongari Boushi no Mahou no 365 Nichi (Konami) - 3,700 / 382,000
23. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 3,700 / 4,999,000
24. [NDS] Rittai Picross (Nintendo) - 3,600 / 134,000
25. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami) - 3,500 / 29,000
26. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 3,500 / 1,142,000
27. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 3,500 / 2,406,000
29. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 3,500 / 3,436,000
30. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3 the Best) (Sega) - 3,300 / 44,000

DSL 4600
DSi 35000
PSP 30000
Wii 13000
PS3 9200
PS2 4400
360 4100

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1242011453/92

test_account

XP-39C²
mujun said:
be aware, sure. total irrational panic, not so good.

like a bunch of ppl have already pointed out normal influenza kills something like 500,000 ppl a year yet there is no panic associated with it.

seems like a media grab for ratings to me.
Ye, i agree, i dont think that it is need to exactly panic because of the swine flu. The normal influenza kills more people than the swine flu, and people dont really panic over this as you say.

Vinnk said:
Congratulations! :)

EDIT:
shykyoichi said:
Nice pictures indeed! :)

Kenka

Captain Smoker said:

20. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 3,800 / 5,489,000
22. [NDS] Tongari Boushi no Mahou no 365 Nichi (Konami) - 3,700 / 382,000
23. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 3,700 / 4,999,000
29. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 3,500 / 3,436,000

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1242011453/92

Oh...

And Vinnk, congrats for the baby, I have no doubt you'll be a caring and loving father :)

Eteric Rice

Congrats Vinnk! Now in a few years, you can send the kid to one store to get numbers, while you go to another!

You get things done twice as fast!

The NDS has a new million seller, Yoshi's Island DS! It's million seller #26.

Pokemon Gold/Silver = #27
Dragon Quest VI = #28
Dragon Quest IX = #29

Here's a list with all NDS - million sellers:

NDS - Pokémon Diamond/Pearl 5.652.043
NDS - New Super Mario Bros. 5.489.000
NDS - Brain Age 2 5.000.391
NDS - Animal Crossing 4.999.000
NDS - Brain Age 3.776.263
NDS - Mario Kart DS 3.436.000
NDS - Pokémon Platinum 2.406.000
NDS - English Training 2.163.328
NDS - Nintendogs 1.886.892
NDS - Mario Party DS 1.870.730
NDS - Rhythm Tengoku Gold 1.718.000
NDS - General Knowledge Training 1.569.882
NDS - Big Brain Academy 1.549.913
NDS - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time 1.506.952
NDS - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 1.467.179
NDS - Tetris DS 1.317.413
NDS - Dragon Quest IV 1.214.610
NDS - Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride 1.189.064
NDS - WarioWare: Touched! 1.136.255
NDS - Super Mario 64 DS 1.133.678
NDS - Kirby Squeak Squad 1.116.424
NDS - Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 1.110.046
NDS - Kirby Super Star Ultra 1.092.000
NDS - Love & Berry DS 1.055.821
NDS - Final Fantasy III 1.008.230
NDS - Yoshi's Island DS 1.001.014

botticus

Congrats Vinnk!
schuelma said:
:lol I don't even think he's been married very long :lol :lol
You'll find it to be a very quick transition. :lol

It's too bad we probably won't get an update on the first Taiko for DS for a while, I'm guessing all three releases (DS and Wii) are pretty much neck-and-neck.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Vinnk said:

This week's sales suck and have sucked for a while, so you derailed it with good news. Congratulations Vinnk!

You too schuelma, congrats!

-Kh- said:
Fixed for accuracy, unless we see more delays from DQIX.
/puts analyst hat on
I foresee one more DQIX delay at least

Now being serious and honest, I do have my doubts it'll make it on 7/11.

edit: Congrats Vinnk!

Johann

You just have to wonder what is going on at Square-Enix. Is it Wada or it is Level 5 screwing up/the FFXIII team's inexperience with HD development? I wonder where the company would be if they didn't have a low-cost handheld environment to fall back on.

Vinnk said:

Congratulations!

Vinnk

Flying_Phoenix said:
What the fuck? So you couldn't leave no matter what? So you couldn't just open your door and go outside?

It was the "honor system". Yeah I could have just walked out. But since my town has only 6 white guys and all the my students live around the area I do, I would have been instantly spotted. Then if anyone got the flu, for any reason there would be a lot of finger pointing.

But it was ok. While I was in America I bought a PS3 and Valkyria Chronicles. :D

We found out the baby is going to be a boy, which is good since we had already bought this shirt (not that we wouldn't have giving it to a female child anyway):

misakoandshirt.jpg

Vinnk said:
It was the "honor system". Yeah I could have just walked out. But since my town has only 6 white guys and all the my students live around the area I do, I would have been instantly spotted. Then if anyone got the flu, for any reason there would be a lot of finger pointing.

So what would happen if you were spotted and caught outside? Would you be in trouble with the cops or would they just give you a stink eye?

Vinnk said:
We found out the baby is going to be a boy, which is good since we had already bought this shirt (not that we wouldn't have giving it to a female child anyway):

misakoandshirt.jpg

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Captain Smoker said:
The NDS has a new million seller, Yoshi's Island DS! It's million seller #26.

Pokemon Gold/Silver = #27
Dragon Quest VI = #28
Dragon Quest IX = #29

Here's a list with all NDS - million sellers:

Didnt it already pass one million with one of the trackers?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Captain Smoker said:

30. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3 the Best) (Sega) - 3,300 / 44,000

That is freaking awesome, hopefully it crawls to 60k before all it is said and done.

Vinci

Danish
Vinnk said:

[im]http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/07/09/misakoandshirt.jpg[/im]

Pretty wife. And though I'm late, congratulations! Seriously, I'm very happy for you both.

Top Bottom