• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They probably will sell the DQX on Wii for about 9000 Yen so they could still make more money on the Wii Game than on the DS, since DVDs are also way cheaper than DS cartridges.

Bebpo said:
There was also a trailer though, right? I remember seeing screens of battle. Was probably just a target render, so it doesn't mean anything either way.

No trailer. You're thinking of the DQIX release trailer that was there.

wrowa said:
Eh, my post wasn't meant seriously, but I kinda can't understand your arguments. :p

Just because L5 hasn't announced otherwise it doesn't mean that they are developing DQX. I doubt that they are even allowed to speak about things like that. At least if they still want to work together with SE in the next years. If DQX isn't developed by L5 it would surprise me if we would learn about that before the actual announcement of the game.

And why shouldn't it be possible that the development of a DQVII remake already started? It's not as if the DS remakes are developed by GS. Especially since the development of a DQVII remake would probably need a fairly long time due to the length of the game, it actually would make a lot sense to start the development on this one early if SE wants to release it sometime soon and not in 2012 or something.

Level 5 is the 'de facto' DQ programming team for new mainline titles. That means unless there's a huge announcement saying otherwise, it'll be Level 5 making any DQX game, whether it's Wii or DS. And Level 5 has shown their huge ability to make gorgeous PS2-level games with DQVIII.

As for DQVII remake... it's just too soon.

Stopsign said:
I'm quite aware of this. Looking at the sales of the IX, it sort of makes you wonder why Square-Enix announced X for the Wii in the first place. The fact of the matter is, assuming the game is at least past the initial planning stages, it's hard to believe that they would scrap their work and simply start over on the DS (even though I guess they could use IX's engine again).

It also seems to me that behind the scenes somewhere Nintendo made a deal much like the original Crystal Chronicle deal. Nintendo told SE that if they wanted to bring Dragon Quest to the DS, they were going to have to make a Wii game as well. That's just my take on it though.

Right now, even if Level 5 is "full steam ahead" on DQX, regardless of platform it'll still be in pre-production. No coding yet.

Oxx

It would definitely be a safer-bet to move DQX to the DS. Who knows what the Wii software situation will be six months from now, let alone a year or more in the future.

I guess we have to wait until DQ6r comes out before SE will even hint at anything regarding further DQ games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stopsign said:
The fact of the matter is, assuming the game is at least past the initial planning stages, it's hard to believe that they would scrap their work and simply start over on the DS (even though I guess they could use IX's engine again).

That's why I still lean towards a Wii release.

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Blind hope tells me End of Eternity will be bigger.

Yeah, I mean SO4 is VERY, VERY BAD. People in Japan know this.

With Vesperia port, you had a game with an excellent reputation as a quality Tales title coming to a wider audience. With SO4 you have a game with a terrible reputation coming to a wider audience.

I think SO4 could be a big bomba or it could do 200k.

EoE should do relatively well. Combined opening should beat whatever SO4i opens with.

Majmun

schuelma said:
No, I think it was intended. I think SE had a PR out within hours after the PC.

Ok, cool. I personally hope the game stays on the Wii, since I'm not a fan of playing RPG's on a handheld...

TomcaT-SdB

One of the Founding Fathers of Saga
Unfortunately, many decisions by third parties don't seem to make much sense these days. CB seems to have the same treatment as many third party releases. Release it in the wild to fend for itself...

Where were the ads? Anything at all to help raise market awareness? From past discussions, there was near zero push to have this game succeed. Unless CB just isn't that good of a game (what were the Famistu scores again), the release of the game was completely half assed at best... Grumble.

In any case, I'm looking forward to see how well NSMBW is received in the coming weeks, as it can be seen as an indicator for several things (strength of Mario brand on Wii, interest in "classic" gaming styles, etc).

TomcaT-SdB said:
Unfortunately, many decisions by third parties don't seem to make much sense these days. CB seems to have the same treatment as many third party releases. Release it in the wild to fend for itself...

Where were the ads? Anything at all to help raise market awareness? From past discussions, there was near zero push to have this game succeed. Unless CB just isn't that good of a game (what were the Famistu scores again), the release of the game was completely half assed at best... Grumble.

In any case, I'm looking forward to see how well NSMBW is received in the coming weeks, as it can be seen as an indicator for several things (strength of Mario brand on Wii, interest in "classic" gaming styles, etc).

Well apparently there has been a large number of advertising promotions within stores such as posters and whatnot, and adverts on buildings and even Television Commericals...

In CB's case, I don't think you can blame a lack of marketing. For most Wii games, that's definitely been a problem though, Tomcat.

schuelma

TomcaT-SdB said:

From what I read, it had decent enough marketing.

I think the problem was the actual title itself. It didn't really appeal to anyone.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
Yeah, I mean SO4 is VERY, VERY BAD. People in Japan know this.

With Vesperia port, you had a game with an excellent reputation as a quality Tales title coming to a wider audience. With SO4 you have a game with a terrible reputation coming to a wider audience.

I think SO4 could be a big bomba or it could do 200k.

EoE should do relatively well. Combined opening should beat whatever SO4i opens with.

I am 100% sure SO4 on PS3 will sell more than 200k. Okay, not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. If not, I'd play the game again as punishment.

Stumpokapow said:
lol tri ace lol

i got burned by iu never again

I have hope for End Fo Eternity, but if I bought IU then I would probably never buy another tri-ace product.

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
I am 100% sure SO4 on PS3 will sell more than 200k. Okay, not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. If not, I'd play the game again as punishment.

I think you might get this one wrong. Just a hunch.

TomcaT-SdB

One of the Founding Fathers of Saga
Hrm, wasn't aware of the advert push behind it. Last I heard on release in the past MC threads was low cost items (some in store displays, etc), but not much else. If that had changed, then my bad.

TomcaT-SdB said:
Hrm, wasn't aware of the advert push behind it. Last I heard on release in the past MC threads was low cost items (some in store displays, etc), but not much else. If that had changed, then my bad.

It's alright, I mean, for a lot of Wii games this is true, especially outside of Japan. But it doesn't apply to CB, that's all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
I think you might get this one wrong. Just a hunch.
Do Japanese people really hate SO4 that much? I can't think of any release that did worse on the PS3 than the 360...excepting maybe enchanted arms?

edit: Nope, that did better too.

Parl

Dragona Akehi said:
Well apparently there has been a large number of advertising promotions within stores such as posters and whatnot, and adverts on buildings and even Television Commericals...
Maybe marketing it almost made it sell less. I'm half joking, but I thought the game looked pretty interesting, but then I lost interest quickly as the near release promotional material circulated, because it essentially revealed a game that I didn't understand.

I'm very stunned that Nintendo hasn't released multiple colored Wii units yet in Japan. That is so easy to do and traditionally has spurred sales.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm very stunned that Nintendo hasn't released multiple colored Wii units yet in Japan. That is so easy to do and traditionally has spurred sales.

Did you miss the Black Wii + MH3 bonanza?

Paracelsus

Y2Kev said:
Do Japanese people really hate SO4 that much?

It's not worse than SO3, so the word of mouth can't be THAT bad. It all depends on the new content if it'll pull a Vesperia on PS3, methinks.

I can't think of any release that did worse on the PS3 than the 360...excepting maybe enchanted arms?

edit: Nope, that did better too.

Eternal Sonata.

Bebpo

Banned
There's no new content though :lol

-no new dungeons
-no new characters
-Are there even new costumes? I don't think think there are

So in other words 0 reasons to double dip. Plus SO fanbase are not crazed Tales fans.

And SO4 was worse than SO3. I thought SO3 was the worst thing ever, but it really didn't prepare me for what awaited in SO4.

Road

Off topic, but was Level 5 developing alone all the games below for the past 12 months?

- DQIX
- Layton 4
- Sloane 1
- Sloane 2
- Inazuma 2
- Ni no Kuni
- Cardboard Senki
- WKC 2

I'm just impressed by their output. I'm not really up on who develops what. Sorry for the tangent.

Dragona Akehi said:
Did you miss the Black Wii + MH3 bonanza?

I did say multiple meaning more than two. They did this with the DS super early so I don't understand what the hold up is. After all they've shown them many times:

Colored%20Wii.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
Off topic, but was Level 5 developing alone all the games below for the past 12 months?

- DQIX
- Layton 4
- Sloane 1
- Sloane 2
- Inazuma 2
- Ni no Kuni
- Cardboard Senki
- WKC 2

I'm just impressed by their output. I'm not really up on who develops what. Sorry for the tangent.

Plus Ushiro, Inazuma Eleven Break, the 4 Tago puzzle games, the localization on Layton 2, Mystery Room, Fantasy Life, the localization on WKC, the ROID versions of their titles and the platform itself, and pre-production on DQX and oversight on the Layton movie.

:p

onipex

Dragona Akehi said:

In CB's case, I don't think you can blame a lack of marketing. For most Wii games, that's definitely been a problem though, Tomcat.

I think CB should have had some kind of bundle. I guess it didn't because it is a spin off of a spin off ( at least I think it is), but a CC bundle would have helped sales.

More could have been done to help MH3 sell better too. Maybe more Nintendo fans would have picked it up if Link was in the game. It's not like he would be that out of place in a game about hunting monsters. They did allow him to be put in a fighting game , but maybe it is a dumb idea. What do I know.

onipex said:
I think CB should have had some kind of bundle. I guess it didn't because it is a spin off of a spin off ( at least I think it is), but a CC bundle would have helped sales.

More could have been done to help MH3 sell better too. Maybe more Nintendo fans would have picked it up if Link was in the game. It's not like he would be that out of place in a game about hunting monsters. They did allow him to be put in a fighting game , but maybe it is a dumb idea. What do I know.

Problem is, from what I read from the impressions of the game, it was remote heavy, thus nulling the usefulness of any extra potential controller pack-in.

onipex

Stopsign said:
Problem is, from what I read from the impressions of the game, it was remote heavy, thus nulling the usefulness of any extra potential controller pack-in.

Good point, but a CB themed Wiimote bundled with the game might have helped too. At least it would have looked like they tried harder. From the little I read it is not a RPG so I think it takes more to sell it to fans of the series and get new fans.

onipex said:
Good point, but a CB themed Wiimote bundled with the game might have helped too. At least it would have looked like they tried harder. From the little I read it is not a RPG so I think it takes more to sell it to fans of the series and get new fans.

I have this feeling that Crystal Bearers is going to do much better stateside. Something along the lines of 100k+ LTD.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder what the chances of Inazuma 2 hitting 800k by the end of the year are. It looks pretty good if the holiday season helps and it doesn't fall any lower.

Paracelsus

Bebpo said:
-no new dungeons
-no new characters
-Are there even new costumes? I don't think think there are

This week some new scans surfaced with an artwork which shows aya and capel swapping outfits with reimi and edge, I doubt it means anything else than extra costumes. Other than that, it's hard to find someone interested in translating SO4I scans that keep popping week after week (or scanning SO4I pages from Famitsu/Jump period). As for the characters, I'm pretty sure there's at least one new playable character, as the Japanese PS3 site has one more slot than the 360 one (13 vs 12 -12 including every playable character and the main NPC-). About the dungeon, I don't have the slightest idea about it.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If by all right you mean worse than any brand new, main line Musou ever, worse than some ports even, worse than some empires and mushouden versions even...then yes, its done all right.

Considering

1) The overall Musou decline.
2) Specifically, Samurai Warriors major decline.
3) Koei's ineptitude to do anything to create a Musou fanbase on Wii.
4) Past "efforts" on the Wii.

Yes, it did fine.

*insert Pureauthor's statement about something doing okay considering A, B, C actually meaning that it didn't do okay and A, B, C are the reasons*

CCPro in the standard SKU for Wii 2 is a must.

Chris1964 said:
donny you have one game more than me. Please do the same with Smoker.

It's not Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (BEST). I didn't include that game because the system was unclear.

Second said:
From what I've just read on the internet, the DQX announcement seemed more like a brainfart during the DQIX conference.

Yeah, a brainfart. That would be why Iwata was at the conference thanking them for bringing DQX to Wii and promising Nintendo's support to market the game in the West. Brainfart.

duckroll

It's pretty hilarious seeing donny start using all these tactics to defend how a Wii game is doing "fine" considering how I've seen the exact same tactics used by people to previously defend how underperforming PS3 games were doing "fine" with "all things considered". :lol

How things have changed around here!

donny2112

duckroll said:
It's pretty hilarious seeing donny start using all these tactics to defend how a Wii game is doing "fine" considering how I've seen the exact same tactics used by people to previously defend how underperforming PS3 games were doing "fine" with "all things considered". :lol

I take it you don't get the "Pureauthor statement" reference.

ccbfan

duckroll said:

The funniest part is sometimes the contradictory stuff people use.

People didn't buy deca sports and taiko because they already had similar previous versions on the system.

People didn't buy SW3 because because they didn't already had similar previous versions on the system.

Expects a MH3 example coming up even though MH3 didn't even do that well. Have it sound its first shipment yet?

schuelma

ccbfan said:
Expects a MH3 example coming up even though MH3 didn't even do that well. Have it sound its first shipment yet?

Yeah it did awful.

I hope Capcom broke even.

ccbfan

schuelma said:
Yeah it did awful.

I hope Capcom broke even.

Yes didn't do that well means awful?

Well usually means sell more than first shipment. I guess we just have different standards.

If "wel"l means sell less than first shipment then does "bargain bin" means good for you and price collapse mean "OK".

duckroll

ccbfan said:
Yes didn't do that well means awful?

Well usually means sell more than first shipment. I guess we just have different standards.

If "wel"l means sell less than first shipment then does "bargain bin" means good for you and price collapse mean "OK".

You're not very good at this are you? :lol

donny2112

Explanation of my statement, since it seems like even people who should know what's going on don't ...

When people used to defend something (I honestly don't remember what. Maybe it was the PS3.) by saying it was doing "okay" considering this strike against it and that strike against it, Pureauthor (I'm pretty sure it was him) would insightfully respond that when you say a product did "okay" considering this strike against it and that strike against it, what you're actually saying is that the product did not do "okay" and this strike and that strike are the reason.

Example:
"DS GTA:Chinatown Wars did okay considering it was on a system without a lot of similarly violent games and was in an overhead view."

That would actually mean ...

"DS GTA:Chinatown Wars did not do okay, and some of the reasons are that it was on a system without a lot of similarly violent games and was in an overhead view."

Apply that to what I wrote, and you get ...

donny2112 said:
Considering

Yes, it did fine.

becomes ...

No, it did not do fine. Some reasons for this are

itsnotfunnyifyouhavetoexplainit.jpg

ccbfan

Khrno said:
Seems like your standards for "well" are somewhere around the realm of "great".

God forbid that selling close to 1M copies in 6 months could be considered to do "well".

I don't see your definition anywhere.

See now I can't tell if you guys are being characatures or not.

Cause in seriousness if FFXIII does not sell over 1 M in 6 months it would be a major bomb. Heck if FF13 sells 1.5 M in 6 months would be be what I call do OK. Which is what I considerred MH3 doing. Over 2 mil would be considered well.

Maybe I just have a higher value of Well. Might be because of the grading system when I was in grade school.

It ranked

1.Well
2.Good
3.Satisfactory
4.Need Improvement

duckroll said:

Yup, been noticing it too (not necessarily by donny).

All excuses are good. It's a spinoff, it's the first installment on the Wii, it's a too-early sequel to a Wii game, considering people thought it would do even worse it's actually not that bad, for a low budget title it's doing ok, it's a genre that's pretty niche, the Wii version is gimped compared to the other versions, it had strong competition from game x, it was send to die, ...

I'm sure in many cases there's a ground of truth to all these statements, but the only real consistency is lackluster software sales on Wii (from third parties that is).

Top Bottom